• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

BTW if you lose and think it was unfair, watch your replay. Until you understand what you did wrong or where you were not effective. It is a HUGE learning tool.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fireball is a waste on a building. 4 elixr to not even take out a building.

Just push the offense in the opposite lane or where it is weaker. Those buildings are expensive to put down. They usually wont have elixr to counter with.

Flying units are good against buildings and things they try to drop in the middle behind the river.

I mean mass building decks...fireball is worth it against 2-3 buildings.

For regular building defense, my main issue is that buildings are use proactively and can aggro both lanes at once, and they cannot be taken out cost effectively. There's no other lane to push when buildings defend both lanes.

Gotchaye

Pre-nerf I thought the Tesla was a really solid answer to hut decks. Cheaper than either hut and completely prevents them from doing damage to your tower except for maybe one final goblin unless they drop something else in the lane. I'm trying out the Inferno Tower now instead but obviously it's not as good against spawners. Rocket becomes an efficient counter if they have two huts simultaneously and is especially useful towards the end when they have the mana to drop three huts at once. I really like Witch for pushing against the constant flow of units.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Pre-nerf I thought the Tesla was a really solid answer to hut decks. Cheaper than either hut and completely prevents them from doing damage to your tower except for maybe one final goblin unless they drop something else in the lane. I'm trying out the Inferno Tower now instead but obviously it's not as good against spawners. Rocket becomes an efficient counter if they have two huts simultaneously and is especially useful towards the end when they have the mana to drop three huts at once. I really like Witch for pushing against the constant flow of units.

Bomb tower dominates hut decks. So much HP, lasts a minute, does aoe damage with the bombs.

Gotchaye

Bomb tower dominates hut decks. So much HP, lasts a minute, does aoe damage with the bombs.

Yeah, I was thinking of using this one but I really like a tower that also helps take out big single targets, and obviously it hurts that it can't deal with air units. Tesla was really good for everything but the Bomb Tower is only about half as good against big ground targets, and I feel like I have enough aoe already with Witch and Ice Wizard. Still it's worth considering.

Agent

I switched out my Tesla for Poison. It's actually working better than I expected, and it can be used offensively and defensively. Right now my deck is a last minute guns blazing deck. I posted this the other day as a fun/mess around deck, but it has actually carried me to 1900. If you can get 2-3 Ice Wizards down with Mirror, it becomes an absolute nightmare for someone to defend against with PEKKA/Hog Rider bearing down. Honestly, my only worst nightmare with this deck is an Inferno Tower which decimates PEKKA. I have a feeling I'll be running into them more with the changes.

Current deck:

Elixir Collector
Skeleton Army
Poison
Mirror
Ice Wizard
Baby Dragon
Hog Rider
PEKKA

My biggest challenge is I am hitting a bit of a wall at 1900 because I keep going against level 8 people (i'm level 7, almost level 8). I'm going to play around with some of the newly buffed cards to see if I can make some productive changes.

commish

Yeah, I was thinking of using this one but I really like a tower that also helps take out big single targets, and obviously it hurts that it can't deal with air units. Tesla was really good for everything but the Bomb Tower is only about half as good against big ground targets, and I feel like I have enough aoe already with Witch and Ice Wizard. Still it's worth considering.

I personally wouldn't use it because I think it slows down my deck too much. I don't use any defensive structures. As you said though, the tesla was too good against everything which is why it had to be nerfed.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been wanting to use Valk since the game launched. She was the first rare I got to level 5. Finally, she's viable...but still leaves something to be desired. Dark Prince seems to have made her somewhat obsolete. I wish she had a stun. It seems silly that she still can't effectively take out a group of barbs...what's the point of using her then?

We could use a couple of co-leaders in GAF Royale, if someone is willing please PM me, thanks!

You do need to be in the clan to qualify :)

edit: ok already got two.. I think we are good for now..

LycanXIII

Change Log and Reasoning:

X-Bow: Range decreased to 12 (from 13)
We want to open the X-Bow up to a little bit more counterplay. A range reduction will mean you can no longer position it behind a Tesla, as well as across the river, and still hit your opponent's tower!

Tesla: Hit speed decreased to 0.8sec (from 0.7sec), lifetime decreased to 40sec (from 60sec)
The Tesla's use rates and win rates don't show it as being overpowered; however, another of core design principles is that all cards should have weaknesses and counters, whereas the Tesla doesn't clearly have any. A lower hit speed will reduce its DPS versus bigger targets significantly, and also make it more vulnerable to groups of troops.

Cannon: Lifetime decreased to 30sec (from 40sec)
The Cannon offers a bit too much defensive power and value for 3 Elixir. A lower lifetime will reduce its staying power.

Princess: Hitpoints decreased by 10%
When playing with Tournament Rule card levels, as a baseline we think Arrows should be able take out the Princess for an even Elixir trade. This hitpoint reduction ensures that’s the case. Additionally, the Princess has a very high use rate and could do with some added vulnerability overall.

Ice Wizard: Damage increased by 5%
The Ice Wizard's main strength is control, but he could do with a little bit of extra damage to increase his value and make him more of a threat.

Prince: Charge speed decreased by 13%
The Prince is currently the most used card in the game, but despite very popular opinion, he isn't overpowered when looking at his win rates. However, his ability to take down a tower on his own when left unchecked can be quite startling. Slowing down his charge speed a notch will give more time to react and counter.

Dark Prince: Charge speed decreased by 13%
Both Princes ride the same breed of horse, and therefore it makes perfect sense that they move at the same speed!

Valkyrie: Hitpoints and damage increased by 10%
The Valkyrie's use rates are quite low, as she still needs to find her place in the world. More damage and health should help her get there.

Royal Giant: Damage increased by 20%
The Royal Giant's use rates and win rates are very low, showing that he is clearly underpowered. We wanted to give him significantly more damage, instead of boosting his hitpoints, so he could fulfill his dreams of becoming a wrecking ball.

Giant: Damage increased by 5%
Giving the Giant a bit more damage, instead of hitpoints, will make him a more compelling choice overall, without making him any more potent on defense.

Rage: Gives 40% movement and attack speed boost (from 35%), duration decreased by 20%
Rage can be an exciting and surprising card to see in action, but it's currently not quite strong enough to make the cut in most decks. By increasing the boost to 40% and lowering the duration, Rage will be a more intense and stronger offensive tool overall.

Poison: Damage increased by 5%
Poison has fairly low use rates. A bit of damage over time will make it a more interesting choice next to Fireball and the other damage spells.

Mirror: Legendary Cards mirrored 1 level lower
The Mirror is creating Legendary Cards at a disproportionately high level (slightly). After this change a level 5 Mirror will make a level 2 Legendary Card, and so on.

Three Musketeers: Cost decreased to 9 (from 10)
Three Musketeers have a very low use rate. 9 Elixir will make them better value and less risk, hopefully increasing their allure.

Archers: Quicker initial attack (like Spear Goblins)
The Archers' use rate falls off after the early game, while the Spear Goblins remain popular across all levels. We’re making their initial attack quicker, so they'll feel more responsive and effective.

Balloon: Hitpoints increased by 5%
The Balloon has low use rates at the top, and many enemies (buildings!). More hitpoints should help it get to those towers!

Witch: Damage increased by 5%
The Witch has very low use rates at the top. She needs a bit more damage to become relevant again.

broz0rs

Glad to see the nerfs on towers. They made attacks difficult because they cause units to stray off the main path a great deal with their range, making attacks with slower units ineffective.

th4tguy

Hovering around 1200 range. Can't seem to get to 1300. I'd like to add baby dragon to my rotation but I've yet to get one to drop. Currently running:

Skeleton Army
Minions
Bomb Tower
Arrows
Spear Goblins
Rocket
Witch
Barbarians

Hovering around 1200 range. Can't seem to get to 1300. I'd like to add baby dragon to my rotation but I've yet to get one to drop. Currently running:

Skeleton Army
Minions
Bomb Tower
Arrows
Spear Goblins
Rocket
Witch
Barbarians

Having skeleton army and barbarians is redundant: both do the same thing, and the barbarians can't be one-shotted with arrows and can set you up for a counter rush.

Swap your skeleton army out for a card that grants a win condition: a hog rider, a balloon, a prince. Then build your deck around it.

Also, you might want something heavy that can hit air units, so while you might not have baby dragon yet, consider musketeer or archers.

PrinceKee

I just unlocked Rocket and Barbarian Hut. The high elixir cost is making me hesitant to use them. Anyone have a build with both of these? I finally unlocked Skeleton army at level 5, but also just got Barbarians...

sackninja

I just unlocked Rocket and Barbarian Hut. The high elixir cost is making me hesitant to use them. Anyone have a build with both of these? I finally unlocked Skeleton army at level 5, but also just got Barbarians...

I use rocket, great to finish off towers and take out annoying goblin huts and most of barbarian huts. Don't really like the barbarian hut personally.

Nerokis

I like Rocket. Not sure if this is a good tactic, but I've been getting into the habit of sitting back and waiting to see the opponent drops a dangerous card behind their tower; if it's something like a witch, or barbarians, I'll time a Rocket to take it out and do tower damage at the same time. It's also a good counter to building heavy decks, and when you can use it to annihilate a big push, it's incredibly cost-effective.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rocket is cool but the issue I have with it is that it's expensive and slow to launch too. Feels like a lot of the time by the time it's gone off the crowd has dispersed for one reason or another (not applicable to buildings obv.). I kind of like Fireball as a middle ground. When I look at the top decks though it's mostly just arrows, a handful of fireablls, and really no rockets. fwiw obv the meta at your level will affect that (for example every single person I play seems to implement minion horde and other swarm tactics so I actually have both fireball and arrows right now just b/c it's so annoying :p).

Karu

Finally found the Baby Dragon which got swapped in for my Bomb Tower. Rose 150 points rigth after.
Playing now with...

Barbs
Minions
Spear Cobolds

Giant

Baby Dragon
Skelet Horde
Prince
Balloon

The one card now that's left up to Arena 4 that I wanna desperately try out myself is The Witch.

undecided

Just logged in to find I am not in Clan Royale anymore?

Every time I log in I go to donate and donate cards if there are any available (which there are almost never any)... That is a terrible system to use for clan management.

Future

Skeleton Army
Minions
Bomb Tower
Arrows
Spear Goblins
Rocket
Witch
Barbarians

I don't know how you can roll without musketeer. Too much utility and power

broz0rs

Just logged in to find I am not in Clan Royale anymore?

Every time I log in I go to donate and donate cards if there are any available (which there are almost never any)... That is a terrible system to use for clan management.

I think a good system is when officers track players with 0 donations for up to a week and monitor their score. If both don't fluctuate within the week, it's good reasons to conclude the player is inactive so that a space may be freed up for others who want to join.

Barb Hut is a semi "build around" card. If youre using it, you should use hut/tower deck. Barb Hut is really good ay pressuring a lane. Enemies cant ignore it. Goblin Huts can do a chip damage, Tomb Stone doesnt chip, but Barb Hut can go all the way.

Rocket is situational in many decks, but aiming it can be difficult.

JoeNut

So seems like everyone in arena 4 goes down the "build loads of huts" route, but a decent bomb tower counters this pretty well

Matush

Trying to get to Arena 6 with my LVL6 is painful. Constantly getting paired with LVL7 and 8, where I don't stand a chance.

J0dy77

We should probably consider a consolidation of the NeoGaf clans at some point. There seems to be a good portion in ours that aren't active after the initial interest waned.

Trying to get to Arena 6 with my LVL6 is painful. Constantly getting paired with LVL7 and 8, where I don't stand a chance.

I just got to arena 4 and after 1 or 2 wins was matched as a level 5 to two level 7's. I managed to get a draw in both games but it was a bit of struggle to stifle their attack and do enough damage to their towers.

I've not joined a clan yet so if there are any spots open in the clans I'm game for joining one.

How did some of you get to Arena 3+ so quick? I'm stuck at a wall in Arena 2 due to facing people with skeletons armies and witches which I've yet to unlock.

commish

Woooo Baby Dragon! He's a handy little guy.

Scored a Magic Chest, that'll be nice to wake up to in the morning.

Still my vote for best all around unit, the Baby Dragon. I wish I could level mine up. He's just too low to use at my level anymore.

Remy

We should probably consider a consolidation of the NeoGaf clans at some point. There seems to be a good portion in ours that aren't active after the initial interest waned.

I checked donations on my clan this morning. Only 4 people haven't donated at all so far this week.

We may not have many spots to open on Sunday.

Nerokis

Hit arena 6 last night. I'm going off a small sample size, but I've wrecked the lvl 8s I've seen, whereas I've had difficulty against my fellow lvl 6s. I remember having that same dynamic as a lvl 5 in arena 4, where for some reason lvl 7s were easier trophies than people closer to my level.

There's a good chance I won't be here all that long, so I'm hoping to get very lucky with the arena 6 chests I have sitting around.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Still my vote for best all around unit, the Baby Dragon. I wish I could level mine up. He's just too low to use at my level anymore.

That was my top unit for a while. Bring him in as support for Hog Rider or just to sit back and snipe people. Versatile and strong. Witch is my #1 currently according to the game, which is weird b/c I don't totally love her but if I'm slow playing I'll bust her out so she can get some skeletons to take the hit from charging Knights and the like while I build up a counterattack.

Just now downloading this... what clan should I join? Any tips?
1. Save your gems and gold up for chests and epic cards that you don't have.

2. Have a deck with, at most, 4.2 elixir cost (this is more of my own opinion, having too many high elixir cards can cause large gap when your trying to counter opponent's moves)

3. Watch TV Royale, you'll learn some good strategies from those videos.

At least six people in the theater before BVS playing this tonight.

I wound up dropping $20 into this a couple days ago, and I think it's the perfect amount for me. I still rely largely on the chest cooldowns since I only want to play a couple rounds a couple times a day anyway, and I just use gems to open up a chest if I want to play a round when I already have four. At the rate it's been going, this'll last me for as long as the game holds my attention.

hollomat

Banned
Okay, if I missed cards in the training camp can I go back and get chests there or am I stuck in my current arena?

You get the cards from future chests. For example, if you win in arena 2 you get an arena 2 chest which can contain cards from arena 2 and any arenas below it. The higher the arena the more cards and gold in the chest so you want to progress as high as you can.

Top Bottom