• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

TURBO1112

made it too 2000 trophies.. And hit level 7 today. Fun but frustrating at same time

edit: just checked, few points short of level 7. Swore I leveled earlier

I've seen a disgusting new combo tonight

Dark Prince
Prince
Hog
Freeze
Arrows
Spear Goblins

And then whatever 2 cards you want to fill

The combo is, you can do it from the start, dark/prince behind your castle, by the time he gets close to river you can drop the other prince and hog rider. I don't know a counter yet, but it can guarantee an early tower. It's infuriating.

Alur

Finally made it to Arena 5 after a lot of yo-yoing in Arena 4.

First game in Arena 5 nets me a Super Magical Chest. Is there a worse time to get one? Every card I got was new. Got enough Wizards to make him level 5. All useless for my deck though. Wish I had gotten it while still in Arena 4 so I could've gotten some epic cards leveled up that I actually use. At least I got one though.

Matush

I hope you didn't laugh like that guy. I really don't get youtube/streaming culture, I can't stand most of them.
Dont worry, I'm not
that
obnoxious. :D

Also I'm pretty happy with my current deck, hovering around 1700 trophies (Arena 6) with this build:

Giant Skeleton LVL 1
Bomber LVL 7
Baby Dragon LVL 3
Spear Goblins LVL 7
Goblin Barrel LVL 2
Barbarians LVL 7
Minion Horde LVL 7
Zap LVL 7

Can pretty much counter everything, although I didnt have much luck with people spamming those stupid huts/mortars.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I've been playing for a week and currently struggling to break into A4 but at the 1000 - 1100 level, I keep facing decks with troops that are 1 - 2 levels above mine. It's kind of an uphill battle.

Yeah, I've been playing for a week and currently struggling to break into A4 but at the 1000 - 1100 level, I keep facing decks with troops that are 1 - 2 levels above mine. It's kind of an uphill battle.

I'm in the same boat. I do well against similar decks to mine, but when an opponent has many of the same cards as me, and his/her cards are leveled higher, it's quite difficult to win. That 10% difference in HP and damage can be daunting to overcome without a little luck. Guess I just need to grind chests for awhile.

Permanently A

I'm in the same boat. I do well against similar decks to mine, but when an opponent has many of the same cards as me, and his/her cards are leveled higher, it's quite difficult to win. That 10% difference in HP and damage can be daunting to overcome without a little luck. Guess I just need to grind chests for awhile.

I was stuck at A4 for a while, I think its the point you're supposed to get stuck and try to spend money to get ahead. Just bear with it for like a week if you don't want to pay. Join one of the gaf groups and donate everything all the time, you'll have enough gold but don't spend it all. Save 2000 in the event a good epic pops up and try to upgrade only cards you're using. I'd also check r/clashroyale for A4 decks. At that level I think I was using mostly spawners and later hog/freeze when I got it.

Eldon

My major problem for Arena 4 is being LVL5 and facing LVL7s that can oneshot my spear goblins. I don't know how many games ive lost for 100 hp or less in A4 or even in 5 when I reach it for 2-3 games every time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can't decide what to upgrade so I'm upgrading nothing and just hoarding gold.

Grinding my way to Arena 3 with Level 3 commons and 1 rares/epics.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Permanently A

My major problem for Arena 4 is being LVL5 and facing LVL7s that can oneshot my spear goblins. I don't know how many games ive lost for 100 hp or less in A4 or even in 5 when I reach it for 2-3 games every time.

Level 7 in A4? Damn, I'm A5 and only just started meetings level 7s. Well again, nothing you can do but tread water and donate/upgrade to level up.
Can't decide what to upgrade so I'm upgrading nothing and just hoarding gold.

Grinding my way to Arena 3 with Level 3 commons and 1 rares/epics.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're gonna want to upgrade Spear Goblins, Arrows, and Musketeer in that order. These units are really useful for a long time, especially Spear Goblins which sees play at the top of the ladder.

GodofWine

The longer this game exists, the more difficult it will be for people to get to higher arenas, like if you pounced on this day 1 and played a lot, there were less people with higher cards, now A4 is a log jam of people. And, as people pay for stuff (which is fine and expected) it will make it even tougher to advance.

And if I get another Tesla card... I'm gonna scream. There is no random in this game, its all calculated to extract money from cards given, to match making (which must take more into account than trophies), so play for fun and don't get mad at it.

Alur

If I had started playing before this last patch I'd probably be in heaven. This game seems to really want me to have X-bow and Tesla. I have enough cards for X-bow level 3 and nearly enough for Tesla level 8...but of course, they got nerfed and are useless for what I run anyway. Also continually getting a ton of Balloon and Rage cards compared to any other epic.

Gimme some Prince or Wizard cards for epics plzkthx.

Not sure I'm a huge fan of only being able to request 10 commons/1 rare thing. Feels like it could easily be 20/5 instead. Requesting rares (bar the entry levels or just to get the final card or two you need to level up) seems like fool's gold compared to requesting commons. Then again a lot of this stuff feels like it could be tuned up a good bit without really impacting their bottom line. The rewards for achievements are basically nonexistent.

Future

The longer this game exists, the more difficult it will be for people to get to higher arenas, like if you pounced on this day 1 and played a lot, there were less people with higher cards, now A4 is a log jam of people. And, as people pay for stuff (which is fine and expected) it will make it even tougher to advance.

And if I get another Tesla card... I'm gonna scream. There is no random in this game, its all calculated to extract money from cards given, to match making (which must take more into account than trophies), so play for fun and don't get mad at it.

Considering how blazing fast matchmaking is I'd guess there isn't much going on besides trophy matching

So I got put into two matches at once. At the same time.

p3259F0.png

When I started the match, my hand 'glitched' out and changed a couple times before stick to one person. At the same time, the opponents name was changing.

In the picture, there are two tells-One, the trophy count for me. When you go into a match, it shows you how many trophies you had at the time of queue. In both games, I have 2216 trophies. In order for me to have the same amount of trophies one match after another, it would need to end in a draw, which...I lost one and won one, so that didn't happen.

Two-The time the 2nd match ended. 2 minutes before I won the next won. This in itself means nothing, I could've lost on purpose, but in order for me to win with a 2-1 score, it would need to reach overtime/end of the match, meaning that a complete 3 minutes would have to pass. Which in this case, in conjunction with having the same trophy score(After 'both' matches I ended up at 2206), means that...the game put me in 2 matches at once.

Yeah, I dunno.

GodofWine

Considering how blazing fast matchmaking is I'd guess there isn't much going on besides trophy matching

If you win a few in a row, or drop a few, it seems to slows down. If you drop on purpose you can see the system at work. I dropped from 1400 to 480 out of boredom, I was seeing opponents levels dropping, as my trophies dropped as expected, then suddenly I was playing lvl 6 and 7s ONLY at 500 trophies. I feel there is something in there looking at level or skill or trends, then adjusting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You're gonna want to upgrade Spear Goblins, Arrows, and Musketeer in that order. These units are really useful for a long time, especially Spear Goblins which sees play at the top of the ladder.

Roger that. I was confident in Arrow and Spear but didn't think Musketeer was worth it. Thoughts on Valkyrie?

TheExodu5

Banned
Broke 2500 trophies. This pretty standard deck has been working quite well for me:

Barbarians - Level 8
Archers - Level 8
Minion Horde - Level 8
Goblins - Level 8
Hog Rider - Level 5
Fireball - Level 6
Arrows - Level 8
Freeze - Level 2

I'm getting my Musketeer to level 6 and I'll probably reintroduce her back in over goblins or archers.

I don't know if I'm ever going to run without freeze. It's so useful on both offense and defense. It provides so much utility.

TheExodu5

Banned
Valkyrie is questionably worth it. Sometimes you get value out of her, sometimes you don't.

Musketeer is a solid all around card.

Goblins are great for assassinating ranged units and hogs. They're pretty useful.

Huh? If anything, more people just means faster and less lopsided matchmaking. I've been playing since the beta on iOS and haven't noticed anything getting harder at the same trophy levels.

My own personal selection bias is to what decks they match you against. Ever since I switched back to my hut deck, I've had an absurd amount of matches against Baby Dragons and Giant Skeletons. I very rarely even saw Giant Skeletons before. It's just annoying because when my hut spam kills it all the troops around it just die. It becomes a draw at best.

Permanently A

Roger that. I was confident in Arrow and Spear but didn't think Musketeer was worth it. Thoughts on Valkyrie?

Musketeer is solid because she can kill things without taking damage and is the primary hunter of Baby Dragons, although recently Archers are getting more love due to the buff.

Valkyrie is good but most people tend to use Minion Horde/Arrows/Zap for cleaning up large groups.

Been on the cusp of arena 4 for a week now, bouncing between that and back down to 3. Think I'm about done with this. I seem to be at the level where I'm no longer willing to put in the amount of strategy and thought when it comes to my deck - or, alternatively, money - that is required to stay competitive and continue advancing.

Edit: Plus, I'm 200% more likely to encounter people who are being fucking assholes with emotes, lol. I'm done with this shit.

broz0rs

I'm approaching 2000, and Musketeer is my overall favorite card. Counters Baby Dragon, Wizard, and Bomb Tower. She even out-ranges cannon, which is amazing. Just be prepared for drops on her when she crosses the bridge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are the crown chests timed to basically unlock the follow g morning? Seems like the timing Aries depending when you unlock them. I just did one and the timer is now saying 21 hours. A few days ago I couldn't get around to it until later in the afternoon and the timer reset to 15 hours

Remy

About to open up 4 spots in our clan. As always, please include your forum name for priority in getting your request accepted.

EDIT: Spots are open. Thanks to the rest of the clan for 5,050 donations on the week!

Dunlop

Broke 2500 trophies. This pretty standard deck has been working quite well for me:

Barbarians - Level 8
Archers - Level 8
Minion Horde - Level 8
Goblins - Level 8
Hog Rider - Level 5
Fireball - Level 6
Arrows - Level 8
Freeze - Level 2

I'm getting my Musketeer to level 6 and I'll probably reintroduce her back in over goblins or archers.

I don't know if I'm ever going to run without freeze. It's so useful on both offense and defense. It provides so much utility.

thx, going to try this

I've only gotten to 1399 (also 1398,1396 and 1392) but now have fallen into a horrible losing spiral as I rage out and keep changing my deck lol

Are the crown chests timed to basically unlock the follow g morning? Seems like the timing Aries depending when you unlock them. I just did one and the timer is now saying 21 hours. A few days ago I couldn't get around to it until later in the afternoon and the timer reset to 15 hours

If you have an incomplete crown chest, the timer for the next crown chest will keep going in the background otherwise its 24 hours for it to reset

ElyrionX

I've got the Witch and have been using her to good effect in my deck. Should I wait for her to pop up on the store to upgrade her or should I buy the Prince (or Giant Skele) that is available on the store now which I don't have yet? Only got about 2200 gold and 250 gems.

nampad

Have some good luck with drops right now and got the Ice Wizards with barely playing arena 6 (never got to it myself, only opponents).

He got switched in for my level 2 witch and rocks. Crowd control works well.

Running with the following deck:
Knight
Musketeer
Spear goblins
Arrows
Lightning
Ice wizard
Valkyre
Giant skeleton

SeanR1221

Reached Arena 4 and got the minion horde.

So now Im using...

Minion Horde
Minions
Barbarian hut
Barbarians
Goblin Hut
Spear Goblins
Prince
Musketteer

Rodelero

Barbarians - Level 8
Archers - Level 8
Minion Horde - Level 8
Goblins - Level 8
Hog Rider - Level 5
Fireball - Level 6
Arrows - Level 8
Freeze - Level 2

I'd put quite a bit of money on it being nerfed, albeit the next balance update is still some way off. It's by no means the only thing which will end up being tweaked but I wouldn't be surprised if its sees a really significant nerf to its radius or its duration.

Future

I'm approaching 2000, and Musketeer is my overall favorite card. Counters Baby Dragon, Wizard, and Bomb Tower. She even out-ranges cannon, which is amazing. Just be prepared for drops on her when she crosses the bridge.

Yeah she can be tough when she's allowed to just sit back and act like a non moving turret. One shots almost every little minion and will sit back and keep doing that if there is an endless stream of guys (similar to witch). A good counter to huts.

I tried to avoid the goblin train for awhile, but now I'm rolling with the spear guys as well for 2 elixir. They are a fun unit because they hit everything, and it's all about proper placement. With no tank in front they can die instantly. With a tank they can destroy things pretty fast

for those who are in this for the long haul or play a lot of android mobile games, you may wanna check out Google opinion rewards. Its a survey app that gives you like ~1 survey a day that's like 3 multiple choice questions and rewards you from $0.10-$0.50 per survey. Could be a good way to make some google play cash to spend here or on other games

broz0rs

I've got the Witch and have been using her to good effect in my deck. Should I wait for her to pop up on the store to upgrade her or should I buy the Prince (or Giant Skele) that is available on the store now which I don't have yet? Only got about 2200 gold and 250 gems.

I don't think lv. 1 epics are all that much greater than lv. 2 epics. If you want to play either of those cards, you should buy them, particularly Prince because he's a very good unit.

I use a level 3 witch, and I don't think she's particularly powerful. I didn't buy cards for her upgrade, they all dropped from free chests. I still don't have Prince or Baby Dragon in my deck.

If you do want to upgrade epics, be prepared to be in it for the long haul because of its rarity and price.

LProtag

I feel like I'm kinda stuck at arena 4 without Prince, Baby Dragon, Balloon, or Freeze.

Maybe I should rethink my strategies.

Alur

Is Wizard good and what kind of deck is he considered a good fit in? Haven't seen him too much to have a real opinion. I currently run Hog+Freeze, but I'm getting copious amounts of Wizard cards in chests when I get rares. I think I'm just 12 cards shy of him being level 6 if I were to level him up.

Aequitas

Hey I would like to join the clan, my ig is Avacado

I also have a friend who would like to join, he's been wanting to have an account here on Gaf but he hasn't been able to because he doesn't have a non free email. If there's extra room for him is ig is Moneycarlo

Hey I would like to join the clan, my ig is Avacado

I also have a friend who would like to join, he's been wanting to have an account here on Gaf but he hasn't been able to because he doesn't have a non free email. If there's extra room for him is ig is Moneycarlo

I went ahead and approved your buddy! The only major rules are ask for donations alot and donate alot since it helps everyone!

TheExodu5

Banned
Is Wizard good and what kind of deck is he considered a good fit in? Haven't seen him too much to have a real opinion. I currently run Hog+Freeze, but I'm getting copious amounts of Wizard cards in chests when I get rares. I think I'm just 12 cards shy of him being level 6 if I were to level him up.

Wizard does great behind a tank, and will handily take out barbs and minions. Keep him levelled high enough so he can't be killed by a fireball (it takes one higher level fireball to take out a wizard).

Top Bottom