• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Class of Heroes 2 |OT| Our dungeons go to 11!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Demonic Colonic Tonic." It just rolls off the tongue!

Given Popful Mail's release, I'm pretty sure Vic's a fan of Falcom.

Working Designs + XSeed unite!

You know, I'd totally buy a Popful Mail release on... SOMETHING. Wii U with offscreen Play, PSN, Vita...

Made it to the Witch's Woods.
I'm seeing now why people were annoyed by the Alchemy system. It's so dumb. Rather than just telling you the formulas and whether or not you can make the requisite items, CoH2 forces you to jump between menus. I figure later on I'll have to grab some paper and take notes.

Seems like the demonic race is a good way to bail out potentially useless classes. My puppeteer does nothing but breathe fire the first couple rounds and then plink away at any survivors.

Also the sound that's played when traveling between gates, it sounds straight out of the scene transition from Superfriends.

RedBoot

Speaking of the Alchemy system, how do you find new recipes? I thought it was from buying the red book things in stores, but they don't seem to show up anywhere. I bought what I thought was the Venomous Mace recipe, but it's still ???'d out in the lab.

Otherwise, I'm also in the Witch's Woods. Those turnips are vicious.

vireland

Made it to the Witch's Woods.
I'm seeing now why people were annoyed by the Alchemy system. It's so dumb. Rather than just telling you the formulas and whether or not you can make the requisite items, CoH2 forces you to jump between menus. I figure later on I'll have to grab some paper and take notes.

Seems like the demonic race is a good way to bail out potentially useless classes. My puppeteer does nothing but breathe fire the first couple rounds and then plink away at any survivors.

Also the sound that's played when traveling between gates, it sounds straight out of the scene transition from Superfriends.

I'm not a huge fan of Alchemy systems, either. It does get better as the series progresses. For what it's worth, you really don't have to use it if you don't want to (aside from specific quests where you can craft the item you need to get faster than waiting for the right drop).

Puppeteer gets Magic Wall later, a spell that I used extensively to protect the party - loved it. Don't underestimate the class.

And now that you've made that connection on the gate sound for me, I won't be able to get it out of my head... :)

scy

Generally speaking, you can just use the Base Item Level to determine what tier of materials you need (e.g., Item Level 20 would most likely use Level 3 Synthesis) and then work from there, most likely based off the given recipes that show you what those item types use (e.g., Metal Weapons need Iron, Clothes need Lint, etc.). You don't need the exact count for the components so all you're looking for is the game to pop up with either the result or just giving you the [Start] prompt to do the combine.

But, yes, it's a rather cumbersome system. Plus, all the inventory space it takes up ;__;

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
End of Bacchus sword quest (turning in):

Fairy Female Student: "It's it's... too much to bear...I..."

I'm guessing that's suppose to be an "If it's...", eh?

(Just trying to help catch any little small things that might need to be squashed for the eventual OP patch!)

larvi

(Just trying to help catch any little small things that might need to be squashed for the eventual OP patch!)

While I haven't actually completed that quest yet, the line you posted reads fine to me. It sounds like she is semi-speechless due to exertion or in awe of the size of it and is stuttering, hence the repeated it's.

ys45

Any tips for getting better equipment early in the game ?

weapons and armors and very expensive and i get a lot of broken items from monsters and chest, is it better to use synth to get equipment ?

Right now I'm stuck with my ranger doing nothing (on back row) and a bow is freaking expensive at the shop .

Game is waaaayyyy better than the first one I'm enjoying it a lot .
It feels very old school (more than EO IV)

Is it me or sorc are powerful ?

larvi

Yeah, a sorc is pretty OP in the beginning of the game, not sure if it holds up later on. I'm trying to get by without one as I hate using basic classes and it's slow going. I did end up creating one to use to heal my chars in the dorm and to use on my all floater team to get to some of the chests though.

As for equipment, I'm struggling there as well currently, my monk is about the only one doing any damage. I'm not sure whether to sell the mats I'm finding to buy better weapons or save them for alchemy.

Yeah, a sorc is pretty OP in the beginning of the game, not sure if it holds up later on. I'm trying to get by without one as I hate using basic classes and it's slow going. I did end up creating one to use to heal my chars in the dorm and to use on my all floater team to get to some of the chests though.

As for equipment, I'm struggling there as well currently, my monk is about the only one doing any damage. I'm not sure whether to sell the mats I'm finding to buy better weapons or save them for alchemy.

How is your monk doing damage?

I got two knuckles and barely doing anything.

edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aksx4E6IsDjwdHBwVnJDNW5iSm9ydTAzQUEzaVJsOWc#gid=0

A guy on gamefaqs made a exp list and a job stat requirement list.

larvi

How is your monk doing damage?

I got two knuckles and barely doing anything.

My monk is a dwarf with max str so that probably helps quite a bit. I was assuming it was his weapon that was helping but it's probably the str bonus.

garath

So what's a good team?

I focused on affinity (don't remember all the races I chose. But they were all friendly with human):

Ninja
Monk
Warrior
Ranger (gunner later?)
Sorcerer (was originally going to make this one a sage but found out Fairy only whoops)
Celestial Sorcerer (Fallen Angel later)

I may remake my first sorcerer to a fairy just for a Sage. Or maybe a Sorcerer is good enough..

edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aksx4E6IsDjwdHBwVnJDNW5iSm9ydTAzQUEzaVJsOWc#gid=0

A guy on gamefaqs made a exp list and a job stat requirement list.

Exp list is helpful. The job stat requirement list is in the manual though.

KiTA

While I haven't actually completed that quest yet, the line you posted reads fine to me. It sounds like she is semi-speechless due to exertion or in awe of the size of it and is stuttering, hence the repeated it's.

Probably needs some "..." or "-" between the two it's.

vireland

For this line the repetition is more like a stutter or repetition of words when overwhelmed. It's as intended.

scy

So what's a good team?

I have:

Good Bahamun Warrior (-> Dragon Knight when he decides to stop being dumb)
Good Celestian Samurai (because I can; I've contemplated doing some affinity grinding to make this a Fallen Angel)
Neutral Felpur Beast (was Monk; pretty good early on with how cheap the Fist upgrade is)
Good Elf Sorceror (-> Summoner once I get back to the other School)
Neutral Gnome Ranger (-> Alchemist once I get back to the other School)
Good Fairy Sorceror (-> Sage once I get back to the other School)

99% (Fairy) - 116% (Gnome) Affinity.

Edit: ~Level 16, though my Monk just rerolled to Beast so she's like Level 5 still. Hard Mode, still only around the Witch's Wood since I don't count the other two dungeons I've done since they weren't that hard / harder than the Woods.

I'll let you know later how much better/different Sorceror is then I guess~ Double Sorceror made for low level grinding to be fairly easy. I made the group around "Dragon Knight sounds cool, we'll do that!" and I wanted a Celestian melee because I'm strange. Fallen Angel was off the table (though I should've just taken the 8% Affinity hit and made my team Good/Evil/4x Neutral) so I went Samurai. She's ... she's something, I guess.

Anything sub-level 10 Mat (depending on your level, I guess) can be straight up sold unless you could really use it to fill slots (e.g., Gloves, Shoes, maybe things like Slings, etc.). You can check what pieces complete to so feel free to sell a lot of the low level things that turn into junk you don't need. That said, keep the actual recipe materials (the Level 1, 2, 3, etc. stuff) since you'll always need them.

As for Gold, it is hard to get in the first dungeon as only a few maps have big groups of enemies that drop Gold. Once you get to Witch's Wood, you'll be able to get a few hundred gold per fight (to 1000+ for the hard packs).

I'm fine with that, Dancers were crazy good in EO4.

I want a Vita just to play these cool PSP games.

Idol portraits are good at least. Even if it means my Fairy kind of looks like someone is about to murder her.

scy

Vic? ...Anybody?

The wording on their description is too ambiguous to tell if they serve any other purpose.

I assumed Flowers of Courage were for curing the Fear status. I've just been selling Coins to everywhere but the school since the sell price seems higher there. Or maybe I'm just blind and misread the school price and have been doing that for nothing.

Edit: Please stop losing stats guys ;___;

vireland

Vic? ...Anybody?

The wording on their description is too ambiguous to tell if they serve any other purpose.

Flower of Courage is used for one of the quests. Not sure offhand what the other benefits may be.

I always sold the magic copper coins.

Yeah once you reach the Witch's Woods you can go after Gold Neeners. A pack of them can easily drop 1000-2000 gold. They tend to spawn in a specific area so just keep running around there to load up.

They're kinda tough though. You'll need a Sorc or two to drop lightning on their heads until your frontline fighters can afford/synth better equipment.
I made it to the next school so I created a Summoner. Seems interesting so far. I summoned an Undine spirit and it stuck around for pretty much the entire time I was grinding. Plus it regains HP every turn/step so it is low maintenance.

KiTA

I still haven't quite started the game, haha. I'm suffering from the same problem I had with CoH1, only worse -- choice shock.

Ok, so there are 10 races, so 4 won't get used on my "main" (read: only) team. I really don't like swapping characters out mid-game unless I have to, so my main problem is picking the right races.

I don't know if the Reincarnation thing you can do at level 99 lets you pick a new race or what. Presumably it's either that, or start over at level 1 with higher stats, or somesuch.

So, constraints would be -- need a healer (Novice, Sorcerer, Sage...) and need a lockpick (Ranger, Gunner, Ninja, maybe Fallen). Other than that, wide open.

And it being so wide open has my brain completely locked up.

scy

If it helps, if I could redo my team I'd probably do this as a goal:

Dragon Knight, Fallen Angel (Evil Affinity penalty be damned) | Berserker, Beast
Sage, Summoner|Necromancer|Geomancer|More Sages!, Gunner.

Alchemist just seems to be a Sorceror with Item Storm and I don't even know how useful Item Storm will be yet. Still, Gnome giving the fairly big boost to my Affinity across the board helps a lot (though Fairy still at 99% pls2raise) so we'll see what Alchemist brings down the road I guess. The skills it acquires makes me wonder at least a little.

But the bigger deal here is that I realized a bit late that I don't have a Thief School character anymore (turned my Ranger into an Alchemist) and Gunner is probably the best pure Thief of the Advanced classes. Oh well. I have enough MP to spare and just Satchel and hope my ~26/26 Agility/Luck Fairy doesn't blow my group up too often.

So, basically, 3 Melee Advanced Classes, 2 Caster Advanced Classes, 1 Ranged Advanced Class.

And doing the Advanced Classes thing means you don't even get a choice in the race thing :x

larvi

Here's what I think I'll go with:

Dwarf monk (to be berserker)
Fel samurai (to be beast)
Human ninja (to be gunner)
Celestian Idol (to be Fallen Angel)
Fairy Sorc (to be Sage)
Gnome Novice (stay as Novice)

Does this seem workable? Would I be better off making the Celestian a sorc initially rather than an Idol?

KiTA

I'd switch those -- Dwarf Samurai and Felpur Monk. Berserker is more like a Samurai, and Beast is more like a Monk, I think.

Magic Wall is as Vic said...NICE.
It's pretty essential since it can absorb at least one enemy attack. Puppeteers also get unlock chest, which skips the whole "decide what the trap is and hope whoever attempts to disarm it has the skillz".

I'm going to look into changing one of my demonics into a summoner. That way they can at least breathe fire, because otherwise they're not doing much after performing a summon.

larvi

Do you retain the spells you already know when you switch classes? If so it may be better to keep it as is to have a better variety of spells.

garath

Magic Wall is as Vic said...NICE.
It's pretty essential since it can absorb at least one enemy attack. Puppeteers also get unlock chest, which skips the whole "decide what the trap is and hope whoever attempts to disarm it has the skillz".

I'm going to look into changing one of my demonics into a summoner. That way they can at least breathe fire, because otherwise they're not doing much after performing a summon.

I think I'm going to remake two of my party. Make a sorc fairy to turn into a sage and make a puppeteer.

Summoner just learned how to call a Phoenix. Wow it's pretty badass. It randomly tosses out Fireball and usually does more damage than any of my frontliners.

Got hit by a freeze though. Dunno if it's the game or my PSP. =/

vireland

Summoner just learned how to call a Phoenix. Wow it's pretty badass. It randomly tosses out Fireball and usually does more damage than any of my frontliners.

Got hit by a freeze though. Dunno if it's the game or my PSP. =/

The Japanese version had a few weird random freeze bugs. We tracked all the ones we knew about down, but that's not to say a few aren't still lurking - it's a huge game with thousands of variables. If you encounter one, it should be very rare and not repeatable...but saving often is a good practice, just in case.

scy

Hm, the Group Attack Dance Rapture has the text out of the box. Just starts like a line or two above the box. Just me or anyone else have that and can check?

Edit: Actually, it's only like half a line out of the box.

vireland

Hm, the Group Attack Dance Rapture has the text out of the box. Just starts like a line or two above the box. Just me or anyone else have that and can check?

Edit: Actually, it's only like half a line out of the box.

I'll check it and have it corrected. Probably a case of the line being edited late in the process and it didn't get re-checked. Text wrap is done in real time, so it wouldn't be obvious in the file.

Thanks.

EDIT: Weird. That's not a text flow issue. The box coordinate the text is wrapping to is wrong. Anyway, thanks, I'll have it fixed.

scy

I'll keep an eye out for any others then.

In other news, my Summoner's Seraphim does ~800-1600 damage to these Ancient Labyrinth enemies. Guess I'll just let it solo everything for me. Also, the EXP in these two new areas is absurd, makes me wish I kind of just rushed some of the side areas :/

vireland

Wow, Witch's Woods is extremely brutal for being such an early dungeon. Didn't expect an Eridanus-style crawl.

The Golden Neeners are the worst/best thing about Witch's Woods. Worst if you can't survive a pack attack, Best if you can because they bleed gold coins. I usually ran through the areas where they are concentrated in the beginning.

scy

So for the record, keep Stilts (or anything else that Equips: Floating) around for people who don't float. Levitate + Anti-Magic Tiles = ;_;

Is there anything I can do to raise the necessary stats for a class change?
I've got a Bahamin Warrior I'd like to make a Dragon Knight, but currently she only qualifies for a Monk or Idol(?!).

EDIT: Spells do carry over between class changes. I switched my Sorcerer to a Warrior and he's pretty loaded. Nice to have since Sorcerers get amazing spells like teleport.

scy

Pray that you get the right stat gains on levels. Also, Dragon Knight requires a Good Alignment as well as the stats (15 STR/10 INT/13 SPI/15 VIT/10 AGI/13 LUC) so there's that too.

I believe you also need to make sure you actually have those stats. There's some shenanigans with the displayed Stat Values and a multiplier to deal with. Not 100% sure on this, still trying to figure out why mine can't change despite having the right stats (closest is 14 Spirit so we'll see what happens at 15, 16).

EDIT: Spells do carry over between class changes. I switched my Sorcerer to a Warrior and he's pretty loaded. Nice to have since Sorcerers get amazing spells like teleport.

Should be spells, stats, and half HP/MP.

vireland

So for the record, keep Stilts (or anything else that Equips: Floating) around for people who don't float. Levitate + Anti-Magic Tiles = ;_;

Yes, this. I became a stilts collector. For
Ancient Labyrinth it's almost a must-have item.
. That was a cruel pre-boss.

scy

Yes, this. I became a stilts collector. For
Ancient Labyrinth it's almost a must-have item.
. That was a cruel pre-boss.

Exactly why I need them. I'm pretty sure that's why the quest
right before (well, same time unlock) the Exam gives you one and mentions what they do
but, hey, I didn't pay attention. I have Levitate!

RIP team.

Edit: And then I two-turned the boss. Summoned Seraphim seems a little ... absurd. Did ~2300 damage that fight.

Pray that you get the right stat gains on levels. Also, Dragon Knight requires a Good Alignment as well as the stats (15 STR/10 INT/13 SPI/15 VIT/10 AGI/13 LUC) so there's that too.

I was one point short in SPI. Switching to Idol got a couple of points...but I've already lost them through levelups.

Ughhhhhhhhhh. Stuck with an Idol now...well at least she can breathe fire.

vireland

Edit: And then I two-turned the boss. Summoned Seraphim seems a little ... absurd. Did ~2300 damage that fight.

Yeah, Summons are OP in general. I avoided using them because it made it too easy. And for magic,
Ragnarok is still OP, and Bewitch and Glare are pretty devastating, too. If they remain unbalanced (super OP) in CoH3, I'll nerf them, at least for the bosses.

garath

So is there any easier ways to travel town to town? I just unlocked witch's woods and I'm trudging through beginning woods for like the 6th time.

Top Bottom