• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Class of Heroes 2 |OT| Our dungeons go to 11!

vireland

One thing I'm hearing on the wiki is "Mania Mode" -- "マニアモー". Is that just what was translated as "Hard Mode"? Because the wiki makes it sound like there's a rather significant XP and Item drop rate boost for playing on it.

Yes, it's under "Hard mode" for saving. Reduces auto save and increases the levels of the monsters you encounter (which would also correspondingly increase XP and drops).

vireland

Cheers for the help. I don't seem to have anything yet unfortunately. I'll give it a bit longer, and I guess if it doesn't appear I'll have to shoot off an email and enquire about it.

You should have it by now for sure. Yours was probably stuck in a ISP spam filter, local spam filter, wrong email address, "other" email address, etc. Email webmaster@gaijinworks.com with the order number or e-voucher code and we'll get it figured out. We got 13 out of 2700 back as undeliverable, so maybe yours was one of those...

KiTA

So to test something I put my copy on "Save Mode: Hard" and hit the first dungeon.

Normal Save Mode:
Level 1-2 monsters, mostly porcupines and the lightning ball things.

Hard Save Mode:
Level 5-8 monsters, mostly vampire bats and tree crackers.

Huh. Big difference, actually.

So on a lark, I went back to CoH1 and did the same thing.

Normal save mode:
Level 1-3 monsters, mostly level 1.

Masochist Mode:
Level 1-6 monsters, bigger groups

Well heck, no wonder CoH1 had such a reputation for grinding -- the XP Boost mode wasn't labeled as such!

vireland

So to test something I put my copy on "Save Mode: Hard" and hit the first dungeon.

Normal Save Mode:
Level 1-2 monsters, mostly porcupines and the lightning ball things.

Hard Save Mode:
Level 5-8 monsters, mostly vampire bats and tree crackers.

Huh. Big difference, actually.

So on a lark, I went back to CoH1 and did the same thing.

Normal save mode:
Level 1-3 monsters, mostly level 1.

Masochist Mode:
Level 1-6 monsters, bigger groups

Well heck, no wonder CoH1 had such a reputation for grinding -- the XP Boost mode wasn't labeled as such!

CoH2 is also more generous with XP and Gold than CoH1 normally, so if you put on Hard mode, you'll advance even faster, though you'll face tougher monsters more quickly.

After completing quests and gaining levels this bar fills up. I'm at 100% and not sure what to do with it.
Yeah I'm playing relatively blind. So far this game is very similar to Labyrinth of Lost Souls, which I've played through already.

Also making a Samurai Celestian was a bad idea. She's gaining 2 HP and 2 MP a level.

KiTA

After completing quests and gaining levels this bar fills up. I'm at 100% and not sure what to do with it.
Yeah I'm playing relatively blind. So far this game is very similar to Labyrinth of Lost Souls, which I've played through already.

Also making a Samurai Celestian was a bad idea. She's gaining 2 HP and 2 MP a level.

Actually that should work just fine.

The bar is for the combination attack thing. When you start combat, your first character has that option at the very top. They default to standard attack (second option), though.

KiTA

So should we be playing on Hard for maximum grind? :)

There's apparently hard mode (the Japanese wiki calls them "Warning Zones") areas in the dungeon as well.

Maximum Grind would be Save Mode: Hard while in a Warning Zone.

The wiki also mentions some form of boss rush stuff, but not sure if that's just odd machine translation hiccups.

Ephidel

You should have it by now for sure. Yours was probably stuck in a ISP spam filter, local spam filter, wrong email address, "other" email address, etc. Email webmaster@gaijinworks.com with the order number or e-voucher code and we'll get it figured out. We got 13 out of 2700 back as undeliverable, so maybe yours was one of those...
Thank you for your help. I've just received the code and I'm downloading it now :)

vireland

There's apparently hard mode (the Japanese wiki calls them "Warning Zones") areas in the dungeon as well.

Maximum Grind would be Save Mode: Hard while in a Warning Zone.

The wiki also mentions some form of boss rush stuff, but not sure if that's just odd machine translation hiccups.

The boss rush may be referring to the 4 optional dungeons after the game credits roll. They're much harder. Or, now that I think about it, maybe you can re-fight all the bosses after the credits. I never tried that.

KiTA

The boss rush may be referring to the 4 optional dungeons after the game credits roll. They're much harder. Or, now that I think about it, maybe you can re-fight all the bosses after the credits. I never tried that.

I know in Elminage, which is tangentially related to CoH (the team that made Wizardry Xth Generation 2 split up turned into the CoH and Elminage teams), the start of the bonus dungeon has you being allowed to refight any major storyline boss, as often as you'd like.

Not sure about this one. I'll look more into it in a bit.

Certain races have class restrictions and that's fine, and the "suitable" class for Gnomes according to the manual is Sorcerer.

But when I go over and above Sorcerer stat requirements for a Gnome I can't get it to open.

Is there something I'm missing? I've tried all the combinations of Gender and Affinity but no luck with BP rolls of mid-30s.

vireland

Certain races have class restrictions and that's fine, and the "suitable" class for Gnomes according to the manual is Sorcerer.

But when I go over and above Sorcerer stat requirements for a Gnome I can't get it to open.

Is there something I'm missing? I've tried all the combinations of Gender and Affinity but no luck with BP rolls of mid-30s.

Double checked the Japanese manual and that's what it says, too. I think it must be a typo that carried forward to the US manual as well because the classes on classofheroes.com for Gnome are Fighter, Monk, Ranger, and Alchemist. I'll get it fixed before the hard manuals go to print, thanks.

Double checked the Japanese manual and that's what it says, too. I think it must be a typo that carried forward to the US manual as well because the classes on classofheroes.com for Gnome are Fighter, Monk, Ranger, and Alchemist. I'll get it fixed before the hard manuals go to print, thanks.

Thanks! Guess I'll keep him as a Ranger then and find a different race for my Sorcerer.

garath

Yay. The update is up. I also just found out you can use paypal to fund the Sony wallet and one of the increments is $25. Perfect. Buying and d/l'ing when I get home.

vireland

The PSP Channel on the PlayStation 3 store is currently the best ever. Wasn't sure it was going to be put up, but...there it is. PlayStation store has never seen anything remotely close, I'm positive.

PS3_PSPChannel.jpg

vireland

Yay. The update is up. I also just found out you can use paypal to fund the Sony wallet and one of the increments is $25. Perfect. Buying and d/l'ing when I get home.

I'll add that to the FAQ we're making. I'm sure others out there hate weird leftover amounts in their online wallet.

cj_iwakura

The PSP Channel on the PlayStation 3 store is currently the best ever. Wasn't sure it was going to be put up, but...there it is. PlayStation store has never seen anything remotely close, I'm positive.

PS3_PSPChannel.jpg

Poor BRS, defeated by a mere alchemist. :(
(Did you try that by the way? It's pretty great.)

The Witch's Woods is a very clever dungeon. Also, the dragon things in B2(or whatever you call it) drop 2K gold a squad. Easy money.

They pack a punch, though.

I totally forgot what the main story quest is...

PS3_PSPChannel.jpg

I was thinking about buying it, but that artwork scared me away. And I've bought almost everything you released in the PS1 era and most of the PS2 era. Is this some sort of revenge after NOT delaying this game for a few years? Do you have to get back at us somehow?

vireland

I was thinking about buying it, but that artwork scared me away. And I've bought almost everything you released in the PS1 era and most of the PS2 era. Is this some sort of revenge after NOT delaying this game for a few years? Do you have to get back at us somehow?

Wait, with a name like Douche McBaggins, THAT art scared you away?

vireland

Is this your doing, Vic? ;-)

This was my first choice because it's IMMEDIATELY different than anything seen in the store ever. But I gave Sony 4 backup art choices in case they thought it was too "controversial." Shockingly, they thought it was hilarious and ran with it. I've said it before, but the current group of PlayStation staff really gives off a "we can do it" PlayStation 1 vibe. Loving it.

cj_iwakura

This was my first choice because it's IMMEDIATELY different than anything seen in the store ever. But I gave Sony 4 back art choices in case they thought it was too "controversial." Shockingly, they thought it was hilarious and ran with it. I've said it before, but the current group of PlayStation staff really gives off a "we can do it" PlayStation 1 vibe. Loving it.

If there's ever a time to kick down the flood gates and get some good J-PSN games there, it's now.

What are GungHo smoking with the stuff they've been releasing? Obscure visual novels and puzzle games are not what I had in mind...

Though getting The Silver Case would be nice. How's your Grasshopper connections? :p

vireland

If there's ever a time to kick down the flood gates and get some good J-PSN games there, it's now.

What are GungHo smoking with the stuff they've been releasing? Obscure visual novels and puzzle games are not what I had in mind...

Though getting The Silver Case would be nice. How's your Grasshopper connections? :p

Hard to knock their success. Puzzle and Dragons is HUGE
in Japan.
It's the highest-grossing game on Android and iOS - making almost $4 million A DAY. That's crazy money.

cj_iwakura

Hard to knock their success. Puzzle and Dragons is HUGE
in Japan.
It's the highest-grossing game on Android and iOS - making almost $4 million A DAY. That's crazy money.

You'd think they'd license something special for the import section of the PSN then...

This was my first choice because it's IMMEDIATELY different than anything seen in the store ever. But I gave Sony 4 back art choices in case they thought it was too "controversial." Shockingly, they thought it was hilarious and ran with it. I've said it before, but the current group of PlayStation staff really gives off a "we can do it" PlayStation 1 vibe. Loving it.

So...will you be able to share *rough* sales figures with us? Naturally most of us want to see this be a success and I'd love to know how well it does on its first day, first week, etc.

vireland

So...will you be able to share *rough* sales figures with us? Naturally most of us want to see this be a success and I'd love to know how well it does on its first day, first week, etc.

We don't get numbers from Sony with that fine of resolution. Just monthly and quarterly, AFAIK. We're already over 2700, though! :) I would hope we see the game on the top of the PSP sales charts for digital.

cj_iwakura

We don't get numbers from Sony with that fine of resolution. Just monthly and quarterly, AFAIK. We're already over 2700, though! :) I would hope we see the game on the top of the PSP sales charts for digital.

More importantly, when will we know what you have planned next? Is it straight to CoH3, or is there an interlude?

vireland

You'd think they'd license something special for the import section of the PSN then...

Probably an issue of opportunity cost. The money they'd get from PSN import store would be 1 hour's sales or less of their "popular" iOS and Android games, and they're staff is always stretched thin, so taking them off a sure thing to put them on a fan pleasing thing isn't priority #1 (I believe). But that's what licensing was made for...

vireland

More importantly, when will we know what you have planned next? Is it straight to CoH3, or is there an interlude?

We're already doing preliminary work on CoH3 (and still trying to make CoH2 PS3 happen), but there's another PSP game I'd love to put in before it, but no license yet.

garath

Bought and downloaded. Rerolled my party until I had 35 or greater bonuses for everyone. Easiest reroll of a wizardry style game ever.

Currently getting lost in beginner's brush. Fun stuff!

DiscoJer

PS3_PSPChannel.jpg

What about that bodybuilder themed shooter that Aksys localized? Cho Aniki or something like that.

cj_iwakura

Also, what is that Diehard Gamefan review talking about here?

Each dungeon has its own track, which is quite nice to hear.

Is he playing a different game? I haven't heard a single dungeon BGM track.

vireland

Also, what is that Diehard Gamefan review talking about here?

Is he playing a different game? I haven't heard a single dungeon BGM track.

Maybe he's talking about the different town and waypoint themes. There are quite a few of those, but they're not in the labyrinths.

cj_iwakura

I penned a small review at HG101's blog if anyone's interested.

I may sound harsh, but I do enjoy the game. Its flaws just deserve highlighting.

Hubb

Just grabbed and started CoH2, I really hope there is enough backing for the series. I am really looking forward to some of the later CoH's.

KiTA

We're already doing preliminary work on CoH3 (and still trying to make CoH2 PS3 happen), but there's another PSP game I'd love to put in before it, but no license yet.

Students of the Round?

Also, CoH2 PS3 is good news!

Speaking of J-PSN games...
I would do anything to get somebody or something help XSEED get Trails in the Sky SC and Third localized and out the door. I want to see the conclusion to First Chapter's endng, come hell or high water.

And seeing the Trails games on PS3 and Steam certainly won't hurt.

cj_iwakura

Speaking of J-PSN games...
I would do anything to get somebody or something help XSEED get Trails in the Sky SC and Third localized and out the door. I want to see the conclusion to First Chapter's endng, come hell or high water.

And seeing the Trails games on PS3 and Steam certainly won't hurt.

Given Popful Mail's release, I'm pretty sure Vic's a fan of Falcom.

Working Designs + XSeed unite!

I don't know much about this game, but I'm getting it because Vic Ireland. Most of my best gaming memories are from Working Designs games so I doubt this will disappoint.

Top Bottom