• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Class of Heroes 2 |OT| Our dungeons go to 11!

KiTA

Yeah, Summons are OP in general. I avoided using them because it made it too easy. And for magic,
Ragnarok is still OP, and Bewitch and Glare are pretty devastating, too. If they remain unbalanced (super OP) in CoH3, I'll nerf them, at least for the bosses.

... Am I the only one who really doesn't like the idea of the game being "nerfed" or "balanced" as part of the, er, translation?

vireland

So is there any easier ways to travel town to town? I just unlocked witch's woods and I'm trudging through beginning woods for like the 6th time.

Early on, teleport is your friend. Once you enter a labyrinth you've been in before, you can cast teleport and then use the l/r triggers to skip over maps and deposit yourself at the exit.

Later, you can craft Wyvern Call Tickets from Return Tickets and Transfer tickets. The WCT allows you to warp from school/waypoint to school/waypoint, skipping all the labyrinths in-between.

MUCH, much later you can craft a permanent kind of WCT.

My sorcerer and ninja have teleport. Not sure which other classes have it offhand, but it's an indispensible spell to have, IMO.

vireland

... Am I the only one who really doesn't like the idea of the game being "nerfed" or "balanced" as part of the, er, translation?

You have to keep it fun,
and a one hit boss kill without any really effort
is not rewarding. It may seem like it, but eventually it becomes a boring "why am I playing this?" kind of situation. There has to be at least *some* challenge.

KiTA

You have to keep it fun,
and a one hit boss kill without any really effort
is not rewarding. It may seem like it, but eventually it becomes a boring "why am I playing this?" kind of situation. There has to be at least *some* challenge.

True enough,
(Which is why Ragnarok was nerfed in CoH2 PS3 as well as CoH3 and beyond.)

But that is also purely in the domain of the game developers, not the localization team.

I am really, really put off by the idea that we might not get "CoH" but rather "CoH + any interesting Romhacks the translators thought would be cool." I can't articulate why really, just... no. Eww. Bad.

vireland

True enough,
(Which is why Ragnarok was nerfed in CoH2 PS3 as well as CoH3 and beyond.)

But that is also purely in the domain of the game developers, not the localization team.

I am really, really put off by the idea that we might not get "CoH" but rather "CoH + any interesting Romhacks the translators thought would be cool." I can't articulate why really, just... no. Eww. Bad.

Unfortunately, we have to consider sales to keep doing this, and if the developer gave us the source, they have confidence that we have the best interests of the game in mind. It's not a romhack, and it's no more perfect than the original code. It's just a step toward that. A game that has broken systems will not make it in the long term. Plus, we didn't even DO it. I'm just saying that if it wasn't addressed in CoH3, I would. Leaving a game broken so it's "pure" is ridiculous.

vireland

Downloaded mine in MediaGo last night and transferred it to my PSP and spent a few hours rolling my party. Has anyone gotten higher than 39bp when rolling? My chars all had from 34-39 bp starting out.

Also wondering if anyone knows of a reference as to the minimum stats required for each of the basic and advanced classes? I was able to get any of the starting classes I wanted but was concerned I may have shorted some of the stats needed when I eventually want to switch to the advanced classes.

FYI, Max roll is 60, and minimum is 6. But I wouldn't go too crazy because stats tend to even out over time.

RedBoot

Is the loot in the stationary chests static? Because if so, get your butt down to the Desert beyond the Witch's Woods, I found a Dragon Lance +5 and Bronze Armor +4 in there. My Warrior is dangerous now.

Got pretty far tonight. Everyone in my team can attack now, and my Warrior, Samurai, and Ranger have weapons strong enough to one-shot most of what I come across. My Monk is lagging behind though, gotta figure out how to beef her up a bit. I've got most of the second wave of quests done, just have to do the 3 on 3 in the Swordsman's Trail.

Things have gotten easier, since I've made it over the early humps. The game can still be dangerous though, I went to the third map in the desert and found myself fighting enemies who could do 500+ damage to me in one hit. So glad one of the team skills is a Super Runaway.

scy

Contemplating that subbing my Alchemist out for a Gunner (and/or Ninja because Ninjas). :/

Is the loot in the stationary chests static? Because if so, get your butt down to the Desert beyond the Witch's Woods, I found a Dragon Lance +5 and Bronze Armor +4 in there. My Warrior is dangerous now.

Loot is RNG. Which is unfortunate as I'm nearing Level 30 and still getting Level 1-7 drops from chests. Game pls.

vireland

Things have gotten easier, since I've made it over the early humps. The game can still be dangerous though, I went to the third map in the desert and found myself fighting enemies who could do 500+ damage to me in one hit. So glad one of the team skills is a Super Runaway.

Are you talking about the crypt under the Kassata Desert? There are some really nasty monsters in there, but that's mostly because you don't really need to visit there until one of the later quests
because that's where one of the bosses is

vireland

Contemplating that subbing my Alchemist out for a Gunner (and/or Ninja because Ninjas). :/

Loot is RNG. Which is unfortunate as I'm nearing Level 30 and still getting Level 1-7 drops from chests. Game pls.

Wow, level 30!? What quest/latest labyrinth are you up to? I think I usually completed the game with characters in the high 30s or lower 40s.

scy

Wow, level 30!? What quest/latest labyrinth are you up to? I think I usually completed the game with characters in the high 30s or lower 40s.

To be fair, it's my Warrior who's closing in on 30 (27 atm) with the rest of the party still in the low 20s. He'll be seeing a Class Change soon so then I'll be back to a low-mid 20 party after that.

Anyway, just finishing up the quests that sent me to
Granite Snowfield, after the 2nd Practical Exam
. On Hard Mode since the start.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I have been converting Gold to EXP occasionally. Don't think it was more than a level or two for the Warrior (mostly used on the class changed guys) but there's that as well.

vireland

To be fair, it's my Warrior who's closing in on 30 (27 atm) with the rest of the party still in the low 20s. He'll be seeing a Class Change soon so then I'll be back to a low-mid 20 party after that.

Anyway, just finishing up the quests that sent me to
Granite Snowfield, after the 2nd Practical Exam
. On Hard Mode since the start.

Wow, you're blasting through the game! You've done around 50/96 quests so far if you've done them all.

There is a caution point coming up. DO NOT take "Fierce Martial Arts Tournament" until you've taken ALL other available quests at all the schools since taking FMAT will CLEAR the quest board and you lose the chance to do quests not taken by that point.

"Mysterious Dragon Appears" later is another one like this.

scy

52 with 3 left to turn-in. Having a Sage has let me cheese out some of the quests. Teleporting around to find spots instead of roaming through the low level trash (seriously, why is every quest in Witch's Woods still?)

And thanks for the heads-up on the quests. Is this a bug or just a point of no return trigger?

vireland

52 with 3 left to turn-in. Having a Sage has let me cheese out some of the quests. Teleporting around to find spots instead of roaming through the low level trash (seriously, why is every quest in Witch's Woods still?)

And thanks for the heads-up on the quests. Is this a bug or just a point of no return trigger?

When I first played the Japanese version, I thought it was a bug, but when we finally got the source to look at it we decided it was a intentional point of no return trigger, which makes sense with some of the major scenario changes happening at those points. There's a third one near the very end, but I can't recall the quest trigger for it offhand.

You only have a handful of quests left that involve Witch's Woods now.

Okay this is my first foray into Class Of Heroes. Per my promise to cj_iwakura I am making my party. Is it just experimentation as to the stat distribution and what classes become available? I am looking for Ninja, Samurai, Warrior, Monk, Ranger, and Sorcerer. I take it the alignment plays into the classes as well as certain races but I can't seem to get what I am wanting.

scy

The stats you can allocate are random. You can keep reloading (Enroll -> Check BP -> Cancel -> Enroll -> Repeat) until you get a good number. You could reroll for 60s everywhere I guess but around the 30-ish range is usually enough for getting whatever class you want.

As for classes, you can check the manual for the exacts. You also cannot access any of the Advanced Race restriced classes from the start but none of the ones you have listed fit that. You do have Ninja and Samurai which are Evil and Good restricted on top of their stat requirements.

vireland

Okay this is my first foray into Class Of Heroes. Per my promise to cj_iwakura I am making my party. Is it just experimentation as to the stat distribution and what classes become available? I am looking for Ninja, Samurai, Warrior, Monk, Ranger, and Sorcerer. I take it the alignment plays into the classes as well as certain races but I can't seem to get what I am wanting.

Stats, race, and alignment can have an effect on what's available. Have a look at the classes section of Classofheroes2.com and you can see what races can be the class you want. Then use the chart in the online manual on page 15 to see what stats you need to open the class you want.

Also bear in mind that some of the prestige classes cannot be accessed at Crostini (the starting school) and you will have to change class at Panini or Bruschetta after those open to you.

The stats you can allocate are random. You can keep reloading (Enroll -> Check BP -> Cancel -> Enroll -> Repeat) until you get a good number. You could reroll for 60s everywhere I guess but around the 30-ish range is usually enough for getting whatever class you want.

As for classes, you can check the manual for the exacts. You also cannot access any of the Advanced Race restriced classes from the start but none of the ones you have listed fit that. You do have Ninja and Samurai which are Evil and Good restricted on top of their stat requirements.

Thanks so much that is exactly what I was looking for.
Edit: And with that my team has been made. Thanks again scy and vireland.

RedBoot

Are you talking about the crypt under the Kassata Desert? There are some really nasty monsters in there, but that's mostly because you don't really need to visit there until one of the later quests
because that's where one of the bosses is

Yeah, that's the one. I was looking for the Pink Grizzlies and wandered down there. Got the hell out soon after and found the Grizzlies elsewhere. It'll be some time before I can handle that place.

scy

I just finished the quest for that place.

I still don't trust my luck with the enemies there :/

vireland

I just finished the quest for that place.

I still don't trust my luck with the enemies there :/

Ha, you and me both. I usually just run in and try to get to the altar without any random battles because, as you've seen, those battles in there can be wildly unpredictable.

KiTA

Has anyone had a chance to play with a Necromancer yet? The wiki description of their magic is odd -- makes it sound like they have spells that do great damage, but only against a single race at a time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
While I haven't actually completed that quest yet, the line you posted reads fine to me. It sounds like she is semi-speechless due to exertion or in awe of the size of it and is stuttering, hence the repeated it's.

For this line the repetition is more like a stutter or repetition of words when overwhelmed. It's as intended.

Just to reply here... ok. Though It still seems odd to be. Repeating a compound word such as "It's", without a dash, "...", some kind'a pause, or something in in between seems overly formal at best, ("It is it is too much to bear"!) which isn't the impression the rest of her character gave me. Especially in this conversation.

Then I thought it might be an English adaptation of Japan's cutesy speech impediments, but that didn't come up either...

I've I've made a terrible mistake I guess...

Nope, still sounds really weird to me. (o_0)

But after becoming swift breakfast for some land sharks, I think I need to take a break from the game for a bit anywho!

vireland

Just to reply here... ok. Though It still seems odd to be. Repeating a compound word such as "It's", without a dash, "...", some kind'a pause, or something in in between seems overly formal at best, ("It is it is too much to bear"!) which isn't the impression the rest of her character gave me. Especially in this conversation.

I can see it either way, but I added an ellipsis there that will be present in the patch that puts the song back. So every time you see it, you can know that it's yours. :)

If you see or experience anything else bug-like, let me know. We've received word of and fixed 4 or 5 text errors, and we're investigating an issue with the pointers for the alchemy recipes you buy being wrong in some cases (a recipe you buy unlocks the wrong one in Alchemy Notes), but other than that it's been a very clean release, which is a relief.

garath

Any list of all the alchemy recipes? I experimented a little bit but the system is such that I'd rather just have a list.

Glad I read this thread. I already sold one pair of stilts. Going to have to hold on to any future ones. Also started selling my coins and went from 1000 gold to 6500. Huge jump for my level 5 party.

ys45

This has probably been answered before but can we sell those magic coins and ancient coins ?

Because they worth a lot and i could use the money to get my ranger a bow so all of my team can finally attack .

The cheapest bow is like 3200 GP :/

vireland

Any list of all the alchemy recipes? I experimented a little bit but the system is such that I'd rather just have a list.

Glad I read this thread. I already sold one pair of stilts. Going to have to hold on to any future ones. Also started selling my coins and went from 1000 gold to 6500. Huge jump for my level 5 party.

No comprehensive alchemy recipe listing ATM. We may make one if there's enough demand, but that's a lot of work - there are about 500ish, I think...

vireland

This has probably been answered before but can we sell those magic coins and ancient coins ?

Because they worth a lot and i could use the money to get my ranger a bow so all of my team can finally attack .

The cheapest bow is like 3200 GP :/

I always sold mine for the cash.

scy

For Alchemy, the base combines aren't too complicated. The level of the item determines what Level of material you use and how many. For instance, a Level 25 item will use 5x Level 3 materials (e.g., Iron). Level 10/20/30/etc. are oddities as they use 10x Level 1/2/3/etc. materials as opposed to 1x Level 2/3/4/etc. ones. Then there's trends you can follow for most of them (e.g., all the Sling ammos are Strong Chip of X + Strong Stone + Niello) or just some "common" sense (e.g., Metal weapons will probably be Iron, Clothes are Cloths, Leather is Hide, etc.).

That said, I haven't used Alchemy too much if only due to not getting the drops I need. I have a lot of Level 30-ish items but none are ones I'd use and then the 40-50+ stuff I do have (Diamond Knuckles why?!) that I'd use, I don't have the materials for :/ I guess I could try converting my way up but eh, I'll just rely on my Summoned Seraphim + Spells and just buy what I need for the time being.

Also, finished FMAT with 58 quests done (59 counting it, I guess). Double-checked all the schools so I hope I didn't miss anything.

Don't worry. It's objectively true. :)

From your post, scroll up to the first picture you find. There.

ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gob-arrested-development.gif

vireland

Also, finished FMAT with 58 quests done (59 counting it, I guess). Double-checked all the schools so I hope I didn't miss anything.

You're blasting through the game. The section with the next 15 or 20 quests is my favorite part of the game, story-wise. Some nice twists and turns.

RedBoot

If you see or experience anything else bug-like, let me know. We've received word of and fixed 4 or 5 text errors, and we're investigating an issue with the pointers for the alchemy recipes you buy being wrong in some cases (a recipe you buy unlocks the wrong one in Alchemy Notes), but other than that it's been a very clean release, which is a relief.

If it helps, I bought the recipe for the Venomous Mace (or something like that, not sure if it's the exact name) and didn't get anything in my inventory, nothing in the recipe item list in the Library/Yearbook, and the actual recipe for the Venomous Mace is still ???'d out. Maybe it unlocked a different recipe? I really wish I could filter the alchemy list to only show the recipes I owned.

vireland

If it helps, I bought the recipe for the Venomous Mace (or something like that, not sure if it's the exact name) and didn't get anything in my inventory, nothing in the recipe item list in the Library/Yearbook, and the actual recipe for the Venomous Mace is still ???'d out. Maybe it unlocked a different recipe? I really wish I could filter the alchemy list to only show the recipes I owned.

Most-likely it unlocked a different recipe. That's the pointer issue we're trying to nail down. It doesn't open nothing at all, it opens the wrong recipe, but it's not all the time, many work fine.

Someone (you?) on gamefaqs did the same thing, so I looked up the recipe for them:

Venomous Mace

Smashed Poison Mace x 1
Wire x 5
Whetstone x 1

scy

The true terror of this game: Trapped Chests. I fear nothing but a blown chest disarm.

Edit: A blown chest disarm that gives me a Sausage. Thanks game.

vireland

The true terror of this game: Trapped Chests. I fear nothing but a blown chest disarm.

Yeah a booby-trapped chest disarm gone wrong is really irritating, especially if you're deep in a Labyrinth and it takes out your members with Trap Door and/or Teleport that can get you out and to safety.

RedBoot

Most-likely it unlocked a different recipe. That's the pointer issue we're trying to nail down. It doesn't open nothing at all, it opens the wrong recipe, but it's not all the time, many work fine.

Someone (you?) on gamefaqs did the same thing, so I looked up the recipe for them:

Venomous Mace

Smashed Poison Mace x 1
Wire x 5
Whetstone x 1

Haven't posted on Gamefaqs in probably a decade, but the recipe is much appreciated. The Whetstone is what threw me off, that's why I couldn't figure it out myself.

Yeah a booby-trapped chest disarm gone wrong is really irritating, especially if you're deep in a Labyrinth and it takes out your members with Trap Door and/or Teleport that can get you out and to safety.

Aw, but that's the fun part of dungeon crawlers. :p

scy

Medusa's Gaze -> Full party Petrify. That's probably the worst I've seen so far. I think that's the game telling me to rethink my decision of not making sure I had a disarmer. But, you know what? I think it's perfectly fine considering what Summoner and Sage do for me. Summoner ends boss fights and Sage Teleports me around and one-shots random encounters. It balances out somewhere I think.

Speaking of Teleport, Bridge over Dark Waters would probably be awful if not for Teleport I think.

vireland

Speaking of Teleport, Bridge over Dark Waters would probably be awful if not for Teleport I think.

Haha. Funny you should point that out. I have this note next to that exact one on my game notes:

(&#61663;<--this maze SUCKS!)

It's the only one like that. :)

scy

The first thing I do for any area is to check how many maps there are for the area. Bridge goes to 11. ;___;

It's worth diverting to Puppeteer to get their unlock spell. You'll never have to worry about disarming a chest again(unless you happen to be in an anti-magic zone).

Really not feeling Necromancer. I haven't found anything viable about him. Also due to his sucky MP gains, I can't put my large cache of Sorcerer spells to use.

KiTA

It's worth diverting to Puppeteer to get their unlock spell. You'll never have to worry about disarming a chest again(unless you happen to be in an anti-magic zone).

Really not feeling Necromancer. I haven't found anything viable about him. Also due to his sucky MP gains, I can't put my large cache of Sorcerer spells to use.

What does Necromancer do anyway? The wiki made it sound like he just has a bunch of auto-crit spells that only hit certain races.

scy

Yeah, I kind of wish I had started my Alchemist as a Puppeteer to get that instead of starting with a Ranger. Or, y'know, just having a Human Gunner there, affinity be damned.

I might just blow some gold and class change to Puppeteer, level it up to a decent HP/MP and then swap back to Alchemist. Should only take all of my gold (~500k).

cj_iwakura

I can't believe how sadistic Witch's Woods are. Nothing in Dark Spire was as vile as this place.

It has ten maps for crying out loud!

Im so tempted to spend the principal's money. I need some weapons for my back row damn it.
If I remember correctly, the item he requests is 800. Does he give 1000 or was it the exact amount? And just after that quest was when I started making enough money to afford more than petty little items in the shop.

RedBoot

Gathering 800 gold isn't too tough, especially if you can access the Witch's Woods at that point (can't remember). So if you want to use it as an "advance," you can probably manage it.

That being said, if you're doing the Muscle Booster J quest too, that's 1000 gold and is found in the same shop. I had about 2k at that point including the principal's money, so I needed it all for those two quests.

xourtney

Neo Member
This was the weirdest PSN buy for me! I usually don't like Wizardry type games (too hard, game over makes me sad), but I wanted a new game on my Vita in case the tropical storm knocked the power out for a few hours. No power outage, but I'm glad I bought it.

It was strangely fun trying to get lots of BP (45 is the highest for me). I'm wondering if I'm playing it "correctly"? Do I need to map out the entire map before I get a new area open? Or just finish the bulletin board quests?

Top Bottom