• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk Walks Out of the WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batigol

Banned
Fortunately there's been real research done on this:

XNcS8Pu.png

All them Divas in 2013 :lol But tbf, without them, how would we get a toilet break during the programme?

It's ignorant to say that he only did things for his own pockets.
But he is leaving due to monetary reasons if these reports are true, so he is doing things for his own pockets.

I am pretty sure Punk would not be wrestling for the WWE if money wasn't important.

What did the pipebomb accomplish for the long run, though?

Ithil

So he left because Brock Lesner & Batista are getting pushes?

No. He doesn't mind Batista coming back because Batista has signed a two year contract and will be there fulltime for most of it, not coming and going like the Rock did.
Though he did say Daniel Bryan should be main eventing WM this year.

WWE also retweeted Foley's anti-Rumble tweet, right? Any greater significance there, or they just trying to appease the fan's growing hostility in more creative/funny ways?

Pwinsider

-- It is being reported that Colt Cabana is once again on WWE's radar. Cabana is looked at as a familiar personality to wrestling fans that could possibly used for the WWE Network. Over the past month, Cabana has made a few visits to the WWE Performance Center.

YES!

Fire Punk on live TV next week. Take his best friend just so you can bury him to.

DO IT TRIPLE H!

Pwinsider

-- It is being reported that Colt Cabana is once again on WWE's radar. Cabana is looked at as a familiar personality to wrestling fans that could possibly used for the WWE Network. Over the past month, Cabana has made a few visits to the WWE Performance Center.

YES!

Fire Punk on live TV next week. Take his best friend just so you can bury him to.

DO IT TRIPLE H!

I read that today. Pretty funny. Get Chris Hero back on board to really spite Punk.

Pwinsider

YES!

DO IT TRIPLE H!
#DEAD

Kyoufu

But he is leaving due to monetary reasons if these reports are true, so he is doing things for his own pockets.

Vince pays him well enough already, and he saves his money so I don't know why he'd leave for monetary reasons.

We all know why he left. He wants to main event WM and doesn't see that happening. The promo I linked earlier is basically all the reasons why he's frustrated with the company.

Futureman

DO IT TRIPLE H!

how could they fire him on TV? Why would Punk agree? Is there something in their contracts about quiting and needing to fulfull their character being written out in some way?

Pavaloo

Punk is probably pissed at Daniel Bryan for taking all the attention away from him. Who wants Punk to main event WM? Pft, its BryTime

edit: dis iz sarcsm guise

Paracelsus

Punk was being used as the poor man's Kurt Angle of the company, to make underperforming workers shine. He gave Cena three of the best matches of his career, he and Bryan made the Shield and the Wyatt look like a million dollars, he managed to make Lesnar not look like a meathead, and the same goes for Ryback. This after losing the belt to a bloated has-been. It was a long time coming and I don't blame him.

Punk is probably pissed at Daniel Bryan for taking all the attention away from him. Who wants Punk to main event WM? Pft, its BryTime

Except Punk got a 434 days title reign, Bryan got a 43.4 hours one.

MC Safety

It would be great if the WWE dug up all the wrestlers with really terrible gimmicks and made the wrestlers relive those characters in a Real World-style reality show.

You know, like The Berserker, Saba Simba, The Goon, The Boogeyman, Iraqi Sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter, The Shockmaster, Bastion Booger, etc.

And Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz.

sajj316

Hardly. I think Punk would be happy if Bryan was in the main event. I think Punk would be extremely happy if it was Punk vs. Bryan in the main event. So would I :)

OnPoint

It would be great if the WWE dug up all the wrestlers with really terrible gimmicks and made the wrestlers relive those characters in a Real World-style reality show.

You know, like The Berserker, Saba Simba, The Goon, The Boogeyman, Iraqi Sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter, The Shockmaster, Bastion Booger, etc.

And Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz.

What about Val Venis, Isaac Yankem, IRS, the Right to Censor... man the list goes on.

Punk didn't draw ratings, didn't draw PPV buys, basically was a loved only buy internet wrestling fans who will watch the WWE no matter anyway... and these same internet smarks just illegally stream every PPV anyway

good riddance to the short order cook

Not really. Entire arenas cheering every time he comes out are not all smarks. As for the ratings and PPV buys, they pretty much maintained. WWE, like TNA, has basically got only it's core fan base left, and there isn't really much variance except when big football games take a few sports fans away and the rating dips...which it does every year no matter who is booked on top of the company. High 2's to mid 3's is it for the WWE right now, and they consistently pull numbers in this range. TNA is 0.8-1.2.
The PPV's that do well are the ones that receive the best build throughout the card. Often you see WWE half-ass a card and occasionally only make some matches on the show itself...those don't sell as well as the others. If one wanted to get conspiracy minded, you'd almost think the WWE did that kind of thing on purpose in order to undermine certain guys on the card.
I'm not conspiracy minded though, I just think they're too comfortable in that a nice amount of money rolls in each year and keeps their investors happy, so they get complacent and neglect the mid card.

jmdajr

edit: dis iz sarcsm guise

Punk don't have no fancy chanting catch phrase.

For real though, he's probbaly happy for his friend. Hell, he's practically sacrificing himself for him. That's one more spot for D. Bry to move up.

OnPoint

It was a decent gimmick but a very limited one, it was always going to be a midcard gimmick and have a shelf life of a couple of years at most.

I got like legit laughs out of it after the first time he came out. He got old real fast and never got a real push after it, did he?

I am pretty sure Punk would not be wrestling for the WWE if money wasn't important.

What did the pipebomb accomplish for the long run, though?

Put Punk over huge.
Created several months of interesting and slightly unpredictable TV.
Has seen a lot of younger guys being brought onto the show the right way instead of throwing them to the wolves and chucking them when they don't immediately make an impact.
Made the WWE a lot of money in extra merchandise sales.

The pipebomb stuff was actually really successful...it just didn't massively revolutionise the industry like some of the more unrealistic members of the IWC wanted. It did lead to this cool image of all the WWE title holders though...
tumblr_lx5syqYQOX1qzvw5po1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom