• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Ramirez

This game takes a huge steaming pile on MW2, I got up to like level 28 yesterday and was killed by ONE noobtube and never even saw a chopper gunner/gunship/dogs. Meanwhile in MW2 I would have been killed by one gun during that time and the rest would have been deaths to killstreaks/tubes. :lol

Digging all of the maps except Nuketown and Jungle, NT needs to be removed from all playlists except FFA maybe? Dunno, don't play FFA, but it's way too small for 12 people.

The Galil is one awesome gun too...

This is pure GAF. This is why should have had a beta. With connection and lag issues I am reasonable enough to give it time. I doubt they even expected the numbers they were seeing last night online.

yoopoo said:
There is not a single thing about this game thats impressive. The best bullet points are the things taken away from the previous game: Commando, Pain Killer, unlimited noob tubing, etc.

I really couldn't put it better myself.

And btw, I'm having a much easier time knifing (and getting knifed) in this game thanks to the weaker bullets this time around. I can take 3 hits to the chest and keep on coming at you. And there is a little bit of teleport in normal knives. Don't even need commando. Of course, the knifing is bugged like COD4 and WaW was, so you got that to randomness to deal with.

Got a question which I can't test out because I still haven't received my copy yet(screw you Future Shop, never again will I pre-order from a website).

So from my understanding there are a handful of default classes with various perks. If I use a default class, does performing any of the kills or objectives associated with that perk count as earned towards the Pro version of the Perk or do I have to purchase the perk first before they start being tallied?

Mr. B Natural said:
I really couldn't put it better myself.

And btw, I'm having a much easier time knifing (and getting knifed) in this game thanks to the weaker bullets this time around. I can take 3 hits to the chest and keep on coming at you. And there is a little bit of teleport in normal knives. Don't even need commando. Of course, the knifing is bugged like COD4 and WaW was, so you got that to randomness to deal with.
M14 is the win gun right now and "I'm lovin' it". Is it just me are do the guns feel relly weak in siingleplayer?

Net_Wrecker said:
Shots not registering, and the killcam being wrong are new to you? Were you not around playing CoD4 when the .50 Cal (or snipers in general) couldn't hit anything, or when the killcams were "wrong" 90% of the time? These are problems that CoD players have been dealing with for 4 years now, let's not dump it all in Treyarch's lap.
If anything I was used to the opposite for me in MW1 and 2, but those games had their share of lag problems as well. But for Black Ops I'm talking about seeing the final kill for the round where every bullet fired manages to miss the target, but you still see blood splatches and the crumple of a kill. It makes for some hilarious lobby chat.

I won't hold lag against Treyarch, although if we're going to get full priced annual sequels it'd be nice to see some actual improvement to the core tech between installments. I don't think that's too much to ask or to expect.

Ramirez

I forgot to mention I only got killed once by a sniper as well, and the guy was actually scoping, amazing concept! Seriously don't understand how anyone could think this game is worse than MW2.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm only considering purchasing this game for the Single Player, if I really really like MW2 (it's by far my most favorite FPS single player), how does this game compare?

Maybe Treyarch can release a patch that would replace the textures for every thing in MP, also the audio. Why can't I hear the bullets hitting the target? Where's the rewarding sound of headshots?

The M16 is a high powered AR, but some times I have to fire the weapon four times to get a kill even with the sights directly on the opponent.

Mik2121

Always-honest said:
My issues are with online (single player is finem though not as smooth as MW2):

Online it does NOT look great. Jaggy, ugly shadows and blurry low res textures.
Online i experienced a lot of connection errors, but that could be just a regional thing and could be diferend every day.
Online there were noticably framerate problems (or very constant lag...) that MANY people noticed and complained about. Also people from your region.

Either you got the only copy that works fine or you just don't notice these things. either way, you're lucky. Or, it's all connenction related but that would be weird when these problems are worldwide.

The online IS fun. The changes were definitely for the better. I agree.
It just looks lackluster and runs like shit.. to me.

I will play tonight and i will try for
Got a question.

I'm about to get the game for the PS3 because all my friends here play on the PS3 only. I know this version has all those framerate issues and whatnot, but does it really run like shit to the point where it's unplayable or you were just over-reacting a bit for the sake of making a point about the ps3 issues? (not saying this in a bad way, btw).

For the record, I played some 11d of MW2 and never really had any framerate or lag issue that bothered me, did you?.

MMaRsu

Net_Wrecker said:
Shots not registering, and the killcam being wrong are new to you? Were you not around playing CoD4 when the .50 Cal (or snipers in general) couldn't hit anything, or when the killcams were "wrong" 90% of the time? These are problems that CoD players have been dealing with for 4 years now, let's not dump it all in Treyarch's lap.

If it's something you've been dealing with for four years you shouldn't be so content about it. After 4 years on the same engine they still can't get their shit straight. Horrible lag/performance on PC, 540P on Ps3 and other malfunctions overall. At least that's what I'm reading.

Ofcourse there are people who hardly notice any problems and it's good they are having fun, I just don't understand the excuse "we've been dealing with this for four years, so why care now".

Anerythristic said:
This is pure GAF. This is why should have had a beta. With connection and lag issues I am reasonable enough to give it time. I doubt they even expected the numbers they were seeing last night online.

Nonsense. How much did MW2 sell? They should have known that everybody would gobble up a next CoD game and that it would be even more popular than MW2. What about sales predictions?

NullPointer said:
If anything I was used to the opposite for me in MW1 and 2, but those games had their share of lag problems as well. But for Black Ops I'm talking about seeing the final kill for the round where every bullet fired manages to miss the target, but you still see blood splatches and the crumple of a kill. It makes for some hilarious lobby chat.

I won't hold lag against Treyarch, although if we're going to get full priced annual sequels it'd be nice to see some actual improvement to the core tech between installments. I don't think that's too much to ask or to expect.

Are the killcams indicative of EXACTLY what that player saw, and EXACTLY what the other player was doing though? I highly doubt it, and it's been that was since CoD4, and especially in MW2.

MMaRsu said:
If it's something you've been dealing with for four years you shouldn't be so content about it. After 4 years on the same engine they still can't get their shit straight. Horrible lag/performance on PC, 540P on Ps3 and other malfunctions overall. At least that's what I'm reading.

Ofcourse there are people who hardly notice any problems and it's good they are having fun, I just don't understand the excuse "we've been dealing with this for four years, so why care now".

I didn't say "So why care" but broken killcams are not new, and are not solely on Treyarch, nor are the horrible spawns, yet they're getting the brunt of the backlash like these problems don't exist in MW2.

Ramirez said:
This game takes a huge steaming pile on MW2, I got up to like level 28 yesterday and was killed by ONE noobtube and never even saw a chopper gunner/gunship/dogs. Meanwhile in MW2 I would have been killed by one gun during that time and the rest would have been deaths to killstreaks/tubes. :lol

Digging all of the maps except Nuketown and Jungle, NT needs to be removed from all playlists except FFA maybe? Dunno, don't play FFA, but it's way too small for 12 people.

The Galil is one awesome gun too...

I've seen dogs twice, chopper gunner once, helicopter four times from me three from other players. What stands out though is the low number of snipers, which is a good and bad thing.

Mik2121 said:
Got a question.

I'm about to get the game for the PS3 because all my friends here play on the PS3 only. I know this version has all those framerate issues and whatnot, but does it really run like shit to the point where it's unplayable or you were just over-reacting a bit for the sake of making a point about the ps3 issues? (not saying this in a bad way, btw).

For the record, I played some 11d of MW2 and never really had any framerate or lag issue that bothered me, did you?.

It's playable, don't worry. and the singl player runs fine imo. But i'm not overreacting. Some other will though, depending on how much framerate bothers you. I hope they can fix this, cause eventhough the game doesn't look that great online, they did wrinkle out many problems we all had with MW2.

That game however plays a lot smoother and looks better (right now).

Did anyone try to disable 1080P and 1080i by the way?.. could that help anything?.
Upscaling a low res game to 1080P might be weird..

I'm still enjoying the game and so could you i think. But we do need to send out the right message.

Mik2121 said:
Got a question.

It's not unplayable. It's not terrible, either. But it's true. It's not bad enough to mark avoid, it slightly bothers me but really there's no excuse and bad on Treyarch.

OG_Original Gamer said:
The M16 is a high powered AR, but some times I have to fire the weapon four times to get a kill even with the sights directly on the opponent.

Can someone explain this one to me as well? Is this lag? Connection issue? I realize the game just released yesterday, but can we expect it to return to normal as far as hit detection. I pretty much gave up on the M16 early on because it would take anywhere from a single burst to 3-5 successive bursts to kill anyone.

Mik2121

Always-honest said:
It's playable, but i'm not overreacting. Some other will though, depending on how much framerate bothers you. I hope they can fix this, cause eventhough the game doesn't look that great online, they did wrinkle out many problems we all had with MW2.

That game however plays a lot smoother and looks better (right now).

Did anyone try to disable 1080P and 1080i by the way?.. could that help anything?.
Upscaling a low res game to 1080P might be weird..

I'm still enjoying the game and so could you i think. But we do need to send out the right message.
Gotcha. Thanks a lot for the reply.

I do indeed care about the graphics, and hopefully (some of) the framerate issues are related to first-day(or week) connection issues because of everybody jumping in. Hopefully we get some patches that make things look better. Though I don't really expect the visuals to get better and the resolution will definitely not change (btw nobody here noticed the resolution differences on those video comparisons until DF talked about it, hehe), but at least it gets a bit smoother.

Still really looking forward to this game, even if it's for the PS3 rather than the 360 (if I were to buy it for the 360 I would have lag issues because almost nobody around here plays it - jpn - and that's even more unbearable to me).

jonnybryce said:
It's not unplayable. It's not terrible, either. But it's true. It's not bad enough to mark avoid, it slightly bothers me but really there's no excuse and bad on Treyarch.
Thank you for the reply too. And yeah, I guess Treyarch fucked up on something or needed some more time to fix the PS3 and PC versions. Oh well..

REV 09

Anerythristic said:
Dude, where are you going to go? I honestly curious. Reach? MW2? MW1? This game is going to be on par with MW2 popularity wise. Its not going away.
You listed many alternatives. I would say that BC2, Reach, MW1, or WaW are the best on the market. I've always thought that BC2 outclasses CoD as a military shooter.

I should get BO in the mail today to try out myself.

DryvBy

Just a quick OT question: what's the deal with the nuke bashing in MW2? I get the other complaints, but the nuke is so hard to get (unless I missed some exlpoits) that if you got it, bravo. No biggie to me. The match is basically over at that point anyway.

My game's not in so I can't give any impressions yet. I just don't get the nuke comments.

SUPREME1

Banned
1. Hate, hate, hate.... some of the sound effects (mainly grenades and a few guns). They sound weak and pack no audio punch. I have, imho, a very nice and capable A/V set-up and just wasn't feeling certain sounds. Now I've only used a limited arsenal, so I hope it's limited to grenades and those few eaons I used.

2. Very glitchy. Not sure if it's lag or what, but something nees to be done... the sooner the better. My internet connection is GODly (see the FiOS threads for my speeds, though I don't have FiOS myself). I don't know if it's something that can be fixed, but I sure hope it is. I had the drop on a guy with my smg (he didn't even see me coming) and put a few shells in him (3 or 4) from about 15 yards out, he dropped and I thought he was dead... but he went into last stand. I closed in and strafed him as he attempted to shoot me with his handgun (he missed all shots as I was moving too fast around him and he didn't keep up) and so I whipped out my handgun and put another 2 or 3 shots from about 8 feet out... For all intents and purposes he shoulda died (again) but nope, since I had closed the gap on him he simply fucking knifed me. I honestly hit him with 3 or 4 smg shots from close to medium distance, plus an additional 2 or 3 shots from really close range and he still didn't die? REALLY? All I can attribute that to is lag, but it didn't look or feel laggy at that moment... I really hope it was lag and not something wrong with hits registering or off calculations.

3. Spawns sucks. Just so helter skelter. No flow, no sense. So random.

4. Not feeling the credit system. Hope it grows on me.

Aside from all that, I kinda enjoyed the game. I already enjoy it more than W@W's MP. MW is still the gold standard.

Chrange

Banned
Chrange said:
I'm liking Theater mode, though it kind of sucks to have to download the game each time before you can view it. When you played a bunch of games on one map it's hard to remember which one was the crazy moment you wanted to get a clip of.

Taking clips and making a segment of them is awesome. I wish they had more transitions though.

Actually, having now seen the results of videos on YouTube (360p!) and the awful quality of screenshots, I take this back. The idea is still great but the execution is poor.

Dina

The constant dropping from 60fps to 10fps in fights in doing my fucking head in. I was so pumped to play this game after a hard day of work, but like this it's a huge waste of time. I have a C2D E7400 but my gfx is the 5850. Not looking forward to buying another cpu and motherboard just for an awfully coded port.

Kyoufu

Mik2121 said:
Gotcha. Thanks a lot for the reply.

I do indeed care about the graphics, and hopefully (some of) the framerate issues are related to first-day(or week) connection issues because of everybody jumping in. Hopefully we get some patches that make things look better. Though I don't really expect the visuals to get better and the resolution will definitely not change (btw nobody here noticed the resolution differences on those video comparisons until DF talked about it, hehe), but at least it gets a bit smoother.

Still really looking forward to this game, even if it's for the PS3 rather than the 360 (if I were to buy it for the 360 I would have lag issues because almost nobody around here plays it - jpn - and that's even more unbearable to me).

Thank you for the reply too. And yeah, I guess Treyarch fucked up on something or needed some more time to fix the PS3 and PC versions. Oh well..

This guy http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiteBoy7thst does videos daily for Black Ops (PS3), you can see how the framerate is there. It doesn't look bad to me. All versions suffer from lag not just PS3, and graphically my eyes can't really tell the difference between the console versions. All I know is PC version trumps all.

I'm having a blast with this so far (360).

MP is pretty laggy and boy does that hinder some of the enjoyment, especially with One in the Chamber. However, I'm liking the change of pace so far and still having a lot of fun with this. I'm confident that the minor annoyances will either get fixed or I can deal with them.

Still too early to tell, though. The first couple of weeks of MW2 were pretty enjoyable for me, too...

btw, destroying an RC car before it gets you is an amazing feeling.

GillianSeed79 said:
Can someone explain this one to me as well? Is this lag? Connection issue? I realize the game just released yesterday, but can we expect it to return to normal as far as hit detection. I pretty much gave up on the M16 early on because it would take anywhere from a single burst to 3-5 successive bursts to kill anyone.

It seems the game code favors fully automatic weapons, I have no problems getting kills with those AR's and they have weaker damage.

Net_Wrecker said:
I didn't say "So why care" but broken killcams are not new, and are not solely on Treyarch, nor are the horrible spawns, yet they're getting the brunt of the backlash like these problems don't exist in MW2.
They're getting the brunt of the backlash because this is their game, and its the latest installment in an overwhelmingly popular and profitable series. If IW released this they'd get the brunt of the backlash.

And really, the killcam weirdness I'd see in MW1 and 2 were of the opposite variety. Where I'm sure I unloaded half a clip into some guy only to see myself in the killcam, oblivious, going dur de dur dur directly into the firing line without even sighting up my weapon. Doesn't seem like the exact same issue to me.

GillianSeed79 said:
It's lag. M16 works pretty well against bots, but like you I realized quite early that it was pretty worthless in regular matchmaking.

DryvBy2 said:
Just a quick OT question: what's the deal with the nuke bashing in MW2? I get the other complaints, but the nuke is so hard to get (unless I missed some exlpoits) that if you got it, bravo. No biggie to me. The match is basically over at that point anyway.

My game's not in so I can't give any impressions yet. I just don't get the nuke comments.

That's the thing, the Nuke ISN'T hard enough to get, especially because of the rape machine Chopper Gunners, and AC 130. The match is basically over at that point because the killstreaks have been doing all the work.

NullPointer said:
They're getting the brunt of the backlash because this is their game, and its the latest installment in an overwhelmingly popular and profitable series. If IW released this they'd get the brunt of the backlash.

And really, the killcam weirdness I'd see in MW1 and 2 were of the opposite variety. Where I'm sure I unloaded half a clip into some guy only to see myself in the killcam, oblivious, going dur de dur dur directly into the firing line without even sighting up my weapon. Doesn't seem like the exact same issue to me.

I get complaining about stuff in BO, but to act like these are NEW problems, and seem completely oblivious that they were in MW2, then state that MW2 is a better game is way off base to me. Broken killcams, and shots not registering have been in all of the games since CoD4, let's get that straight, but it's up to Treyarch to fix the problem in their game, and for the people in the thread to stop acting like they aren't in MW2 just because BO is the new kid on the block from the "B Team."

Dina

h0pper said:
I've been playing on PC and I notice a huge improvement this morning. apparently they worked some of the kinks out with the central server and are still tweaking it as well. I don't get any of the unbearable stutters that I was getting yesterday morning.

If anything it's worse this night.

PaNaMa

Banned
untitled.jpg

Jesus Christ Treyarch. I had to turn subtitles on to figure out WTF my squad was asking me to do. Vague as shit objectives. I just kept hearing "Mason ----- now!" Screen shaking, loud explosions, strawberry jam, BAD IDEA!

andymuza

Neo Member
This game stinks. Campaign has the usual Treyarch endless enemy spawns until you hit a checkpoint, No skill at all just blind luck fire fights. Horrific framerate drops, and the usual utter shit story. Why don't they ever learn?

I can only hope MP is better.

Top Bottom