• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Anyone know if guests have a ranking as well? I noticed in a match last night, someone appeared to have a guest in their party but had a different level and stuff. If that's true, that is pretty sweet.

Zapperkhan said:
Anyone know if guests have a ranking as well? I noticed in a match last night, someone appeared to have a guest in their party but had a different level and stuff. If that's true, that is pretty sweet.

IIRC you start at the same level as your main player, then level up independently until you sign out.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I played for at least 5 hours straight with a bunch of buddies last night and I must say, I love Black Ops. The mulitplayer feels so much better and more rewarding than any other Call of Duty.

The ONLY issues I have with Black Ops' multiplayer is the "getting the first shot on someone only to have them kill you" scenario that LeMax talked about before the game came out and the abysmal spawning system. That's it. Which is surprising considering I could've written a 10 page paper on what I hate about Modern Warfare 2.

Patrick Bateman said:
So, people who already got and played it:

Better or worse than MW2?

360 better than PS3-edition?
You're about to open up a can of worms. Might be easier just to go back a few pages and read what people have written. It's been discussed a lot already.

Now I cant get my settings to save in game, miracle patch please come soon.

Between this and fallout new vegas I am leaning towards console gaming.

Better than MW2. 360>PS3, looking at my buddy's PS3 copy.

So do killstreaks chain or not? If I get an attack chopper, does that get me towards SR-71 or whatever?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Patrick Bateman said:
So, people who already got and played it:

Better or worse than MW2?

360 better than PS3-edition?

I'd actually have to have a good connection to properly judge the game. Right now its just one bullshit death after another. Getting shot WAY after turning a corner. Getting shot before the enemy even comes around a corner. Never knowing you are getting shot until you are already dead. Putting 20 rounds into a person from point blank range and only getting 3 hit markers. Knife lunges up stairs and around corners. Oh and getting killed within 5 feet of where I spawn countless times is also fun.

AcciDante said:
Where do I buy a background for my playercard?

Down below where you buy the layers I believe.

snack

RS4- said:
Oh yeah, wtf there's no way to have multiple users (not at the same time)? For example, MW1 on PC, I could have my account, my brother could have his.
I was wondering the same thing.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Brian Fellows said:
I'd actually have to have a good connection to properly judge the game. Right now its just one bullshit death after another. Getting shot WAY after turning a corner. Getting shot before the enemy even comes around a corner. Never knowing you are getting shot until you are already dead. Putting 20 rounds into a person from point blank range and only getting 3 hit markers. Knife lunges up stairs and around corners. Oh and getting killed within 5 feet of where I spawn countless times is also fun.

Down below where you buy the layers I believe.

Oh fuck, this. Too many times.

FeD.nL

Anyone else experiencing the same issue as I am where I switch from mp to main menu and then the game asks me to configure my settings, again and again and again.

To in a MP session today I ran into an upstairs room in Nuketown and I got knifed by a guy who was chasing me. Looking at the Killcam I see that he saw me go into the room (which was a dead end), then pulled his knife and followed me in. Am I to assume from this behavior that the knife attack is ranged enough that you can be fairly confident of a kill without having to get particularly close? It seemed to me the guy was thinking that all he had to do is be in an enclosed room with me to guarantee a knife kill.

Seventy5

There should be a solo leaderboard for zombies so you could see how high people can get. I to to round 19 solo with a pack a punch M16(skullsplitter) and that automatic shotgun. I haven't been able to get past round 17 with a team of 4 yet. I'm playing on PS3 and it runs good enough for me.

Anerythristic said:
People are just starting to realize that MW2 was the pinnacle of the series.
Campaign yes, multiplayer belongs to COD4 imho. But if Treyarch can fix the bugs and glitches this one holds some promise.

Gary Whitta said:
Is there a co-op multiplay zombie mode, like Horde mode in Gears? If not why not?
Its not exactly like Horde, but the answer is yes. Two of them in fact ;P

JB1981

Full Recovery said:
Second hard lock during multiplayer, first was during a host migration at the end of a match and the second happened while searching for a game I recieved the "you're signed out of ps network, you must sign in" which I was and it froze. ps3 version

Anyone else getting this? If it happens again I'm going to finish the single player and sell this crap.

happened to me once last night... i actually found the online connection to be pretty consistent .. netcode wasn't bad .. matchmaking was quick ... my kills to deaths was pretty consistent each game. there is that cod killcam lag but that is expected.

Nizz

People were right about the PS3 version not being as smooth as MW2. :( A damn shame too, because other than that I played about three hours last night and had a lot of fun. The MP is pretty cool. Played two matches of Gun Game and lost both, though I didn't post up too much money (only 10 COD points per round).

I dig the "Contracts" concept and unlocking more points by completing certain tasks. And Treyarch did a great thing in having separate leaderboards for TDM, FFA, Domination... I haven't really played Domination much since COD4. It was that nagging feeling of your K/D ratio attached to your overall level.

I know it really shouldn't matter, and it's not like I'm playing professionally. But with the separate leaderboards I didn't even think twice about doing Domination last night. It was hectic and fun. :) As far as SP, I only got to
the prison level where you meet Resnov and you're lending a hand in breaking out.

Again, not far into the SP. But from what I played it was fun. The MP is definitely fun for me, besides stuff that Maximillian brought up: you clearly seeing someone first and shooting but them getting the drop on you. And the spawns.

On top of those issues, the MP performance on PS3 is disappointing. It's really too bad...

Vustadumas said:

I love the game but this is going to be huge backlash.

My son warned me mutiple times before it came out "remember this is Treyarch it's not going to be the same, I'm just warning you."

I bet alot of people didn't heed his warning and won't like the differences in feel, balance (for the better) or graphics. I'm not worried about the online issues which I bet will go away when either they implement a fix or player population goes down to a humane level.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
NullPointer said:
Campaign yes, multiplayer belongs to COD4 imho. But if Treyarch can fix the bugs and glitches this one holds some promise.
The campaign in MW2 was terrible, completely incoherent, overblown with 'shock' nukes left and right, stupid twists and surprise 'guest' characters. MW1 was way better. BO is also better than MW2 so far.

Anerythristic said:
I love the game but this is going to be huge backlash.

My son warned me mutiple times before it came out "remember this is Treyarch it's not going to be the same, I'm just warning you."

I bet alot of people didn't heed his warning and won't like the differences in feel, balance (for the better) or graphics. I'm not worried about the online issues which I bet will go away when either they implement a fix or player population goes down to a humane level.
Well, you have to remember that probably more than half of Call of Duty's audience is comprised of "bro's," i.e. people who will buy and play the shit out of the game just because it's the next Call of Duty game. Treyarch, Infinity Ward, these words mean nothing to that audience. All they care about is that there are new killstreaks and guns and maps. I doubt that this part of the audience even cares about graphics. I really doubt that there will be as great a backlash as you are suggesting.

Skenzin

Banned
Im liking Black Ops (360 version) in the same way I liked WAW. Graphics seem to be a step back from MW2. Gunplay feels more slowed down and almost feels like Rainbow Six 3, which I really like. Treyarch isnt the best at map design though. The maps feel dated in design and not very organic. No 'suspension of disbelief', i always feel like im in a designed mp map and less like a barricaded section of a reality. Didnt get the same wow factor I got playing MW and MW2 for the first time, more like the 'this is cool' feeling playing WAW and COD3 for the first time. Still have a lot left to discover and play around with.

iam220 said:
people with i7's are also having this problem. I'm not sure what kind of magical hardware configuration is required to avoid it but it seems like this bug/memory leak/poor gpu usage is effecting a very LARGE amount of people. Although it does seem like most of the people who are reporting no problems have phenom II's ...

I have an i7-860 and a 5850 and have everything turned up 1920x1080 no problem... then again I have 4 cores, 8 cores with HT turned on.

Erebus

Played the prologue of the campaign. For some reason I'm not feeling it maybe because the graphics are awful. PC version here btw.

Top Bottom