• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

well, i must say that the single player is pretty awesome. runs fine too. Maybe not 60fps, but good enough for ME to not get frustrated by it.

Looks pretty good too.. i wish the online looked close.

Does it feel like the bad guys are even more of a bullet sponge than MW2? It feels like it takes forever to take a guy down.

Or is it about the same?

Also, I haven't tried hardcore on Black Ops yet, but is it like MW2's hardcore?

I've been playing on hardcore in MW2 this whole time and maybe that's why the guys feel like bullet sponges and I'm just not used to it.

The MP feels so plain compared to MW2. I quite like the new customisation and stuff but I want my AC130s, Harriers, Predator Missiles, Pavelows, etc etc. It was so much more hectic and felt like I was really in the middle of a war. That's gone here.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The MP feels so plain compared to MW2. I quite like the new customising etc etc, but I want my AC130s, Harriers, Predator Missiles, Pavelows, etc etc. It was so much more hectic and felt like I was really in the middle of a war. That's gone here.
thank the heavens above.

ZZMitch

Veritas_ said:
Ugh. I hate playing shooters on consoles, but I may have to pick up a 360 just to have someone to play against in 3 weeks. (PC Version here.)

:(
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

4% (that's just retail) of like 8 million is still a lot.

And cmon, you can't be serious if you have been a PC gamer the last few years. I mean games like Frontlines Fuel of War still have full servers everyday!

Xamdou

Highest I've seen the 360 Black Ops population count was around 2.83 Million yesterday night. Almost three million on it's first day of release, unbelievable. I would have liked for Infinity Ward to be at the helm but Treyarch did a decent job online wise.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Does it feel like the bad guys are even more of a bullet sponge than MW2? It feels like it takes forever to take a guy down.

Or is it about the same?

Also, I haven't tried hardcore on Black Ops yet, but is it like MW2's hardcore?

I've been playing on hardcore in MW2 this whole time and maybe that's why the guys feel like bullet sponges and I'm just not used to it.
just go play hardcore.

Always-honest said:
thank the heavens above.
LOL!

I guess there are differences of opinions here. Some like the balance in Black Ops, and others like the insane death count in MW2.

I'm in between, I guess, but I'm leaning toward Black Ops as the better experience.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The MP feels so plain compared to MW2. I quite like the new customisation and stuff but I want my AC130s, Harriers, Predator Missiles, Pavelows, etc etc. It was so much more hectic and felt like I was really in the middle of a war. That's gone here.

That's actually a positive thing in my mind. I'm not a fan of hot death raining from the sky 90% of the time.

Always-honest said:
thank the heavens above.
I know Treyarch were trying to fix what a vocal group hated about MW2, but I think they went too far. The things that made me lose 2 weeks of my life to MW2 aren't really anywhere to be seen. :(

I could have sworn that I saw something like 2.91 while I was playing either last night or today. The Reach OT also hasn't been on the front page of gaming for me, kind of sad.

Foliorum Viridum said:

I like BO but yeah, I miss MW2 chaos. I had so much fun racking up KS and saving them for an attack hell of predator missles/harrier/pavelow. Here it's just rcxd and sentry gun all the time. Yawn.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I know Treyarch were trying to fix what a vocal group hated about MW2, but I think they went too far. The things that made me lose 2 weeks of my life to MW2 aren't really anywhere to be seen. :(
Maybe they wanted to stay historically accurate. I think things like AC130's or stealth harrier strikes didn't exist in this time period.

_Bro

Banned
So I think I'm going to saunter over to Target and buy this game. 3 hours till work and then tomorrow off. So exciting!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Veritas_ said:
Ugh. I hate playing shooters on consoles, but I may have to pick up a 360 just to have someone to play against in 3 weeks. (PC Version here.)

:(

5165303716_5c0c81f57b_b.jpg

I think youre good.

FrankT

Xamdou said:
Highest I've seen the 360 Black Ops population count was around 2.83 Million yesterday night. Almost three million on it's first day of release, unbelievable. I would have liked for Infinity Ward to be at the helm but Treyarch did a decent job online wise.

2.83 million in the first 24 is crazy.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Maybe they wanted to stay historically accurate. I think things like AC130's or stealth harrier strikes didn't exist in this time period.
I'm not suggesting they should do that, I just want a bit more excitement in the games.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
LOL!

I guess there are differences of opinions here. Some like the balance in Black Ops, and others like the insane death count in MW2.

I'm in between, I guess, but I'm leaning toward Black Ops as the better experience.
Maybe in two weeks i will think different, but for now i like the change ;)

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Nah, they could have come up with equivalents if that's what they were going for. I'm pretty positive they were making a conscience decision to tone the Kill Streaks down some what.

I'm one of those people that felt the uav, air strike and helicopter from COD4 was just right. The streaks were super effective but they didn't dominate the game the way they do in MW2. I'd love to see a break down of player kills vs kill streak kills in COD4, W@W and MW2.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
At least it's better than World at War where there were attack dogs like every 10 seconds!
I can't comment there. After MW I couldn't bring myself to play anything but WaW's campaign. WW2 guns didn't cut it then. :p

Raide

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Also, much more realistic and skill-based. I think so.

And less frustrating.

Leads to everyone just camping areas, waiting for the first foolish player to get bored and run out. :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Also, much more realistic and skill-based. I think so.

And less frustrating.

waaayyy less frustrating.

you shoot somebody and they go down. None of this 180-spin-knife-you-in-the-face bullshit.

Raide said:
Leads to everyone just camping areas, waiting for the first foolish player to get bored and run out. :lol

not at all. People just stop running around like headless chickens because you can't get shot and then run away

It reminds me of the old Ghost Recon games. you have to actually use your brain.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Lonely1 said:
So, Nearly 3 millions for the 360 version, about 700k for Ps3, 120k for PC and 5k for Wii. Hmmm.
There is now way that there were 3 million concurrent players on 360.

Raide

D4Danger said:
not at all. People just stop running around like headless chickens because you can't get shot and then run away

Pretty much all of the Hardcore games I played in MW2 had everyone camping and it was me that was too twitchy and had to run and find people. :lol

Hopefully BO's is better in that regard.

Enco

Not played much at all but I love the mode where you get one bullet per kill. Great fun and plenty of tension :lol

Something feels off though. It doesn't feel like a complete game (only played 30 or so minutes online split-screen).

So are there games in MW2/Blops where people actually use strategy? I admit I'm a n00b at this particular franchise but the Team Deathmatch games I've played so far mostly seem to comprise of running around in no particular pattern looking for people to kill. There are typically four encounter scenarios:

1) Run into an enemy, you spot each other at roughly the same time, best shot wins.

2) Enemy sees you from outside your field of view, he kills you.

3) You see an enemy from outside his field of view, you kill him.

4) Find a spot to camp in, get a few kills until someone comes up behind you and knifes you.

Am I missing anything?

poppabk said:
There is now way that there were 3 million concurrent players on 360.
The count was definitely up to around 2.83m last night. Saw it with my own eyes. Well, at least that's what Treyarch's counter said. That could be wrong just like the leaderboards. Who knows?

Belfast

Also, watch Cataclysm do those numbers or better (only thing that might stunt it that it will undoubtedly be at least a year behind coming to China) upon launch. Even with the music game flops, ActiBlizz is going to have a gooooooood Fall.

Raide

Gary Whitta said:
So are there games in MW2/Blops where people actually use strategy? I admit I'm a n00b at this particular franchise but the Team Deathmatch games I've played so far mostly seem to comprise of running around in no particular pattern looking for people to kill. There are typically four encounter scenarios:

1) Run into an enemy, you spot each other at roughly the same time, best shot wins.

4) Find a spot to camp in, get a few kills until someone comes up behind you and knifes you.

Am I missing anything?

Players at high level will use more strategy but what you posted pretty much sums up how CoD works. Hell, that sums up most FPS games. :lol

Belfast

Gary Whitta said:

Am I missing anything?

5) Swear you "shot that guy," watch the killcam show you differently, pitch a fit.

This one arguably occurs more than the other four combined.

Magik

Wow, the PS3 side is absolute bullshit at the moment.

I just lost two levels because the server booted me before saving my settings after a match of domination.

*Hit Level 11 -> Unlock killstreaks -> Change killstreaks -> "Server is down" -> Log back on -> Back to Level 9 -> FFFUUUUUU

Gary Whitta said:

Am I missing anything?

CoD has never been known for strategy. Tactics maybe. If you want strategy I suggest you look in to MAG.

Top Bottom