• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

.nimrod said:
Do we know for sure that it's SnD only and not in Demolition?
It could take quite some time in SnD if you're not lucky and don't get to pick up the bomb at all.

I just hope it makes the folks in S&D more likely to actually plant the bomb instead of camping and going for leet noscopes!

Shogun PaiN said:
Most people know what game types they like and dislike but not all have had enough experience with different game types to judge them fairly. If you have only played a certain mode a handful of times on a previous game in the series who's to say your not going to start enjoying the mode when the new game hits?

It's entirely possible that with the combination of new maps, perks, killstreaks ect that somebody could form a different opinion of a previously disliked game type. It's happened plenty of times before.

And decisions like that should be decided by the player and should not be penalized for whatever decision they make. This is very remedial game design. And this isn't a "play snd 10 times" thing, which would still be uninspired and a bore for many, but at least not a total grind. This is a "do something specific with a specific gametype" thing, which means not only do I have to play a gametype I may or may not want to play, but I also have to play it a certain way...and in this case, is something that only 1 person can achieve per round out of 12, which many times 0 people do per round. Stupid.

cameltoe

.nimrod said:
Do we know for sure that it's SnD only and not in Demolition?
It could take quite some time in SnD if you're not lucky and don't get to pick up the bomb at all.

try not to worry so much about getting the pro perks and just play the mode.....have fun!

.nimrod

divisionbyzorro said:
I just hope it makes the folks in S&D more likely to actually plant the bomb instead of camping and going for leet noscopes!
Haha, yeah. Though in the brief time i played SnD (PS3, Europe) i didn't encounter any of them.

cameltoe said:
try not to worry so much about getting the pro perks and just play the mode.....have fun!
I guess i should, but i usually only do that when i get tired of other gamemodes.

Hixx

MarshMellow96 said:
I am actually going to try and get a pre-owned MoH. :lol

It could work out for the better..

EDIT: how long is the deal on for? Launch only?

You're still going to be paying ~£30 for MoH pre-owned, just get the Tesco offer. Unless you're a real scrooge and are going to try your hand at the supermarket rush on release day. MW2's launch scarred me for life.

Hanmik

.nimrod said:
Haha, yeah. Though in the brief time i played SnD (PS3, Europe) i didn't encounter any of them.

PS3 europe here too.. just start up a game of S&D today in COD4:MW or MW2. On a team of six players you will find 3 or 4 snipers who are trying to go for some Quick/no-scope youtube shot.. it is realy realy realy realy annoying..

Hanmik said:
PS3 europe here too.. just start up a game of S&D today in COD4:MW or MW2. On a team of six players you will find 3 or 4 snipers who are trying to go for some Quick/no-scope youtube shot.. it is really really really really annoying..

And it's the reason why I refuse to play S&D in MW2.

divisionbyzorro said:
To be fair, that vid was shot during the multiplayer reveal a couple of months ago and was running on the beta game. So let's not get too bent out of shape just yet.

Ahhhhh, good, good. That's an important piece of info to have. On the other hand, the gamespot footage I saw on nuketown didn't seem to have spawn problems and that is a small map. I'm not saying spawns are definitely borked, it was just a detail I noticed.

I fully expect there to be niggling problems at first. There always is. It'll be the way Treyarch reacts to these problems that will make or break things.

ShogunX

Mr. B Natural said:
And decisions like that should be decided by the player and should not be penalized for whatever decision they make. This is very remedial game design. And this isn't a "play snd 10 times" thing, which would still be uninspired and a bore for many, but at least not a total grind. This is a "do something specific with a specific gametype" thing, which means not only do I have to play a gametype I may or may not want to play, but I also have to play it a certain way...and in this case, is something that only 1 person can achieve per round out of 12, which many times 0 people do per round. Stupid.

Tempted to post the deal with it.gif but people have been doing stuff in games they they dont particularly enjoy to gain better rewards for years and years so its not like this is anything new. It's not like you have to spend too much time in S&D and you can mix it up with other game types you do like whilst gaining the other required challenges for the perk.

Just doesn't seem like a big deal at least not to me anyway :D .

Then again knowing the kind of people that play MW2 you could end up with people just planting bombs straight away and not giving a shit about losing the round.

cameltoe

buy teh haloz said:
Does anyone know what the matchmaking is like in this? Is it similar to WaW?

How would one know this? The game hasnt been released yet?

Now you may say, "well people have the game already"....and you would be correct, but thats a very small number to judge how well matchmaking would work if the servers were live...which they're not, so....yeeeeaa....

Now, they are live on the PS3 but again, the small number thingy...

.nimrod

Apparently the servers are up now, there's a stream of someone playing System link FFA on 360.
Should i post the link?

Hanmik said:
PS3 europe here too.. just start up a game of S&D today in COD4:MW or MW2. On a team of six players you will find 3 or 4 snipers who are trying to go for some Quick/no-scope youtube shot.. it is realy realy realy realy annoying..
I should consider myself lucky then :)

It's official.

I will have it for both PS3 and 360. got my pre order at gamestop for midnight release for the PS3 and amazon for the 360.

:D

RavenFox

Banned
.nimrod said:
Apparently the servers are up now, there's a stream of someone playing FFA on 360.
Should i post the link?

I should consider myself lucky then :)
No dont post. PM. Thank you :)
Dynamic3 said:
So is the only way to purchase gold cammo really to get to the 14th prestige?
Well at least we have some reasons to prestige now.

cameltoe said:
How would one know this? The game hasnt been released yet?

Now you may say, "well people have the game already"....and you would be correct, but thats a very small number to judge how well matchmaking would work if the servers were live...which they're not, so....yeeeeaa....

Now, they are live on the PS3 but again, the small number thingy...
Well, that's true, but I was mainly wondering if the regional search settings had been kept in.

.nimrod

.nimrod said:
Apparently the servers are up now, there's a stream of someone playing System link FFA on 360.
Should i post the link?
False alarm guys, he was only playing system link. My bad :/
I was fooled by the yellow XP numbers popping up.

Shogun PaiN said:
Tempted to post the deal with it.gif but people have been doing stuff in games they they dont particularly enjoy to gain better rewards for years and years so its not like this is anything new.
That's not a counter-argument. What do other "people" have anything to do with this game and me or the millions of other players?

Actually this is new at least to COD (except Sit-Rep Pro which was an awful unfun grind) because somebody that grinds this crap will have a clear advantage over someone that doesn't. If Treyarch wanted to reward people with CP or EXP for planting bombs, go for it. There are hundreds of challenges with all kinds of ways to get EXP in previous COD games. The "pro perks" create a clear advantage until your opponent grinds the exact same actions.
What would have made the most sense with specific gametypes was to create 5 pieces of criteria for the pro-perks and the player had to achieve 3 of them. As of right now they're too rigid (and too many times too dependent on the opponent's choices) for them to be so specific.

Mr. B Natural said:
That's not a counter-argument. What do other "people" have anything to do with this game and me or the millions of other players?

Actually this is new at least to COD (except Sit-Rep Pro which was an awful unfun grind) because somebody that grinds this crap will have a clear advantage over someone that doesn't. If Treyarch wanted to reward people with CP or EXP for planting bombs, go for it. There are hundreds of challenges with all kinds of ways to get EXP in previous COD games. The "pro perks" create a clear advantage until your opponent grinds the exact same actions.
What would have made the most sense with specific gametypes was to create 5 pieces of criteria for the pro-perks and the player had to achieve 3 of them. As of right now they're too rigid (and too many times too dependent on the opponent's choices) for them to be so specific.

Am I to assume that the only reason you care is because you don't like S&D and want Ninja Pro? Too bad.

The pro perks are actually less of a grind across the board than they were in MW2. I don't see the problem.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Stallion Free said:
Wow, the G11 is ugly as hell. I'm not going anywhere near that shit no matter how good it is. I don't need fugliness interfering with my swagger.

I'm the same way :lol
I'm having a hard enough time accepting the old-style M-16 with the triangular handguard. ugh.

I just want current-gen AR rifles!!!

ShogunX

Mr. B Natural said:

Ever since COD4 the people who grind on day one have had an advantage so this isn't new at all. The only difference now is that people who want Ninja Pro will have to play a game type to earn a specific challenge they may or may not like. It's such a non issue that the only people I can seen having a problem with it are the mindless kill whores who basically ignore objective game types and think about their next kill streak reward.

Playing different game types makes you a better overall player. I would give my left testicle to have a good COD community again and not this current child filled shit fest we have right now.

Shogun PaiN said:
the mindless kill whores who basically ignore objective game types and think about their next kill streak reward.

The worst part about it is Objective based games don't have a kill-limit so people who solely want kills will infiltrate things like HQ, Domination, CTF, etc. with the sole intent of trying to rack up as many kills as possible with no intention of playing the objective.

As far as I'm concerned, there weren't enough gamemode specific requirements for Pro Perks. Treyarch seems to be taking one golden thing into account while designing the game: people are assholes. I think it's clever.

Someone needs to setup a snazzy post in the online forums. Playing on 360, I would love to get a bunch of GAF friends on my list so that no matter what time Im playing, I can play with the random public as little as possible. :lol

dope4goldrope said:
The worst part about it is Objective based games don't have a kill-limit so people who solely want kills will infiltrate things like HQ, Domination, CTF, etc. with the sole intent of trying to rack up as many kills as possible with no intention of playing the objective.

As far as I'm concerned, there weren't enough gamemode specific requirements for Pro Perks. Treyarch seems to be taking one golden thing into account while designing the game: people are assholes. I think it's clever.

Setting the bomb in Sabotage was always fun.

"NOOO WHAT ARE YOU DEEEWING DONT ARM THE BOOOOOOOMB!!!!"

Red Blaster said:

By FAR the funniest thing happened to me and my buddies while playing Demolition a few days ago. There were a few guys who would say stuff like "DON'T PLANT YET ITS TOO EARLY!", "NO STOP IT WE CANT WIN TOO QUICKLY!", or "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO WIN IN THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS!"

I raged, but nearly pissed myself from laughing afterwards.

I was tricked multiple times by distraction grenades while watching that stream. Those things are going to really screw with ninja users, especially in S&D. :lol

Oh my, Im so hyped. I have to go out and buy a new Xbox to play this but my god Party chat with Search and Destroy added in with claymores not counting as grenades this will be like CoD 4 with my mates and it will be glorious!

divisionbyzorro said:
I was tricked multiple times by distraction grenades while watching that stream. Those things are going to really screw with ninja users, especially in S&D. :lol

Decoy grenades + Sentry Gun = :lol

cameltoe

Red Blaster said:

was playing HQ on Terminal last night...the HQ was behind that snack counter...the ops just sat back on the stairs and launched tube after tube in there, it was next to impossible to cap it. They never tried to cap it...just killing everything that got close. RAGE QUIT!

I'm also an "objective" player and I'm pissed when I see people don't play the game and just searching for kills but I'm mainly online to have fun and play.

So for example when I play SnD with very good players on a very good map I'm happy when the leading team doesn't absolutely want to win but also want to play more against the others.

It's like saying "we're having a good time here so why don't we play a little more" :D

Question guys,

On the dedicated server side of things, lets say i have like 4 friends who will want to play together, does this constitute either A) renting a ranked/unranked server or B) all somehow trying to join a specific server like the old days of cod4?

Lastly,

Does anyone have a list of what can be done by a hosted server admin? Examples, change maps, allow certain perks, kick/ban etc?

Thanks!

Nizz

I don't think I'll be grinding out for any pro perks until I decide to stop at a certain prestige point. Having extra custom class slots is very nice. To grind out for a pro version of a perk only to start from scratch all over again? Hmmm...

I definitely see myself prestiging for the extra loadout slots. Gave me room to experiment with different loadouts- guns, equipment, perks. I usually have two Assault classes, two Sub-Machine, two Sniper, and an Anti-air class.

Truthfully, having to grind out for something like Ninja pro will get me to try game modes I don't usually play. In MW2 I mostly played TDM Express and Merc TDM. Once in a while I'd play Domination or play Hardcore TDM with my real life friend since he mostly plays that.

I think I may have tried CTF and SnD together a total of ten times?

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Question guys,

On the dedicated server side of things, lets say i have like 4 friends who will want to play together, does this constitute either A) renting a ranked/unranked server or B) all somehow trying to join a specific server like the old days of cod4?

Lastly,

Does anyone have a list of what can be done by a hosted server admin? Examples, change maps, allow certain perks, kick/ban etc?

Thanks!
Just join a server then switch teams when you can. I'm not sure if there will be a party option that you can all join then it will throw you in a server. I doubt it seeing as finding a server with unbalanced teams will be harder since I imagine damn near all servers will roll with autobalance on. All those should be available, but allow certain perks. I think that is against server ToS or something, but I did see CoD4 servers having a no martyrdom rule but you never know. I think Treyarch is going to be a little more strict this time, though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hanmik said:

I play a lot of S&D on MW2 and I pretty much never encounter those kinds of idiots. Then again I've also rarely had much of a problem with noob tubers or campers either. I might just be the luckiest person on the planet.

Dina

Anyone know how contracts are? The few contracts that were shown in the Gamespot video looks kinda easy, with the rewards being small. Are there bigger, harder, more rewarding contracts? Are they unlockable?

Is there big differences between the modes most of the people are playing in us and in eu because it seems that there is some differences. Also this make me thinks if there any differences between PS3 and 360 players ?
I play in eu on PS3 and most of the people I know are playing SnD, Demolition, Domination or Melee... :lol

Shogun PaiN said:
Playing different game types makes you a better overall player. I would give my left testicle to have a good COD community again and not this current child filled shit fest we have right now.

:lol So, wait, you think the Ninja Pro perk is gonna change the community? You really think people are gonna play nice now? People aren't gonna grief because you have the bomb and therefore you are in the way of some kid getting his perk pro? He isn't gonna pray (and watch) you die...nah..why would he do that? Everyone isn't gonna have lightweight on so they can run for that bomb on the floor when the match starts regardless to how helpful lightweight may be for winning the round...nah. The community is fixed now that the pro perks are annoying to get. Well, I'm done. I guess thinking 1 step ahead is 1 step too many.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Chû Totoro said:
Is there big differences between the modes most of the people are playing in us and in eu because it seems that there is some differences. Also this make me thinks if there any differences between PS3 and 360 players ?
I play in eu on PS3 and most of the people I know are playing SnD, Demolition, Domination or Melee... :lol

It'd be interesting to see some stats on that.

Top Bottom