• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Loxley

MarkMclovin said:
Eh? It's the only gametype I play. Never had a problem getting a match.

On the consoles it's fine, but on the PC there's never more than 100 people playing either Barebones playlist :(

MrMister said:
I really want to get this... but $59.99 is a tough price to bite. I'm sorting through my budget right now and my wallet my cry if I do... can anyone give me some motivation?

I bought 2 copies. PS3 and 360

whats your excuse?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
what is this I hear about botmode being only online? Seems kind of odd they would do that. Is it live gold only?

Sethos said:
Amazing! (I've been out of the loop). And it's like it was in W@W right? Because I also read somewhere it's a top down shooter and that sounded odd.

alr1ghtstart said:
what is this I hear about botmode being only online? Seems kind of odd they would do that. Is it live gold only?
It is very odd but that's my understanding, gold required. =(

Sethos

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I bought 2 copies. PS3 and 360

whats your excuse?

The standard edition around here costs almost $90 and RRP is around $104

I'd be pretty satisfied with $60 :p

Oh and prestige is almost $230

Chrange

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
You have to be connected to live to play with bots. I'm not sure about gold requirement though.

Apparently they don't want people unlocking things offline with bots then going online, but you could do that anyway...so what did they accomplish? All this means is that the people who NEED bots can't use them.

alr1ghtstart said:
If you get it for 360 then yes the answer is you need live gold. 89% sure.

MP5k 3-4-5
skorpian 5-5-5 (point blank 2)
Mac10 4-4-5
ak74u 3-3-5
UZI 4-4-5
PM63 4-4-5
MPL 4-4-5
Spectre 4-4-5
Kapris 4-4-5

:lol ,its an assault rifle. Why wont they put it it the AR class? IRL its also an assault rifle.

Are they letting you use it akimbo, :lol that would be awesome.

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
Damn good catch! I never knew what TIs looked like before.

Yeah, they look like a stick of deodorant with a little light bulb on the end. :lol

People were freakin' out about that spawn a couple months ago when that vid came out.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Chrange said:
You have to be connected to live to play with bots. I'm not sure about gold requirement though.

Apparently they don't want people unlocking things offline with bots then going online, but you could do that anyway...so what did they accomplish? All this means is that the people who NEED bots can't use them.

I thought it was completely separate, meaning you have a botmode "career", and an online "career." Pretty bizarre.

Chrange said:
Things that make you go, hmm.

alr1ghtstart said:
I thought it was completely separate, meaning you have a botmode "career", and an online "career." Pretty bizarre.
That is correct.

Nizz

MrMister said:
I really want to get this... but $59.99 is a tough price to bite. I'm sorting through my budget right now and my wallet my cry if I do... can anyone give me some motivation?
Well, at least you're working. ;) Put it this way. I'm still jobless, my credit card debts are rising. And at first the thought of jumping into another COD game after being disappointed in some things in MW2 didn't cross my mind.

But with every piece of new info I heard about Black Ops, I slowly started to turn around on the game. And now that I've learned a bunch about the game (especially from the kick ass OP) I'm pretty excited for it.

I had traded in a game to Amazon and got a $30.00 credit. I also got a $20.00 credit for pre-ordering Medal of Honor, a game I kind of thought would be my shooter for the season. But Black Ops was looking too good to pass up so I used the credit and getting it day one. :D

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
alr1ghtstart said:

I thought it was seperate too, but maybe they want people who aren't exactly great at multi to be able to get achievements as well. Either way, I think bots are a great idea.

Najaf

Rainy Dog said:
They're either fake or from an early build. Just compare the MP5 stats from that link to the below.

Wow. Yeah, that's too bad. I actually just want to see the raw numbers over on Xanga.

nbraun80

cameltoe said:
He also mentions that a shot to the chest does the same damage as a shot to the leg or arm or foot. (just like MW2....shame)
I always thought it would be neat if there was limb dismemberment in COD games. Like if I'm running and I get sniped in the arm, I don't die I just can no longer use one hand so I can't look down my sights, instead just shooting from the hip. I just think getting shot 4 times in the foot, and dying is kinda lame.

Plasma said:
Have you tried shooting off all the mannequin heads quickly? In the gamespot interview they said it triggered something.

You can't do it with one person. It needs to be done with a whole group of people really quickly.

natedog4000 said:
I always thought it would be neat if there was limb dismemberment in COD games. Like if I'm running and I get sniped in the arm, I don't die I just can no longer use one hand so I can't look down my sights, instead just shooting from the hip. I just think getting shot 4 times in the foot, and dying is kinda lame.

World at War had dismemberment. You could blow off arms, legs, heads. It was amazing.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
anyone have any experience with Amazon and release date deliveries? I am going to be home that day and am hoping I don't have to wait until like 6PM to get the damn game...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bumblebeetuna said:
World at War had dismemberment. You could blow off arms, legs, heads. It was amazing.
I'm pretty sure the Black Ops campaign has dismemberment. The multiplayer doesn't because of RAM limitations on consoles since they wanted to put in all of the customization options.

Loxley

RoboPlato said:
I'm pretty sure the Black Ops campaign has dismemberment. The multiplayer doesn't because of RAM limitations on consoles since they wanted to put in all of the customization options.

Yep, it's in the SP, but not included in MP for the reasons you listed.

Plasma said:
Have you tried shooting off all the mannequin heads quickly? In the gamespot interview they said it triggered something.

I shot off all the heads and nothing happened, but I wasn't exactly quick about it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of recording some video of the game and putting it online tonight. Do you guys have any requests as to what you want to see? Also, what's the best place to upload HD video without having it taken down by Activision minutes later? Is Vimeo still top dawg?

johnFkennedy said:
I shot off all the heads and nothing happened, but I wasn't exactly quick about it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of recording some video of the game and putting it online tonight. Do you guys have any requests as to what you want to see? Also, what's the best place to upload HD video without having it taken down by Activision minutes later? IS Vimeo still top dawg?

Think so. I'd like to see more of the equipment in action.

johnFkennedy said:

Anyway, I'm thinking of recording some video of the game and putting it online tonight. Do you guys have any requests as to what you want to see? Also, what's the best place to upload HD video without having it taken down by Activision minutes later? IS Vimeo still top dawg?
I'd like to see each sniper rifle being shot with a silencer and scoped down, if it isn't too much trouble. I would also like to see how fast a Claymore detonates if you happen to have a second controller handy (just put it around a corner and have someone walk into it or something along those lines).

As for a video site, I would indeed go with Vimeo.

PaNaMa

Banned
This is really good news!
Should be able to snag my copy tomorrow evening, or Friday morning at a local mom and pop shop *fingers crossed*.

Did I read that it's not playable yet on XB?

johnFkennedy said:

Anyway, I'm thinking of recording some video of the game and putting it online tonight. Do you guys have any requests as to what you want to see? Also, what's the best place to upload HD video without having it taken down by Activision minutes later? Is Vimeo still top dawg?

upload the video on YT and unlist it. All 3 of my videos are still up.

So equipment and snipers? I'll see what I can do.

I think I'll also show off the scout perk. It hasn't been talked about much, but the pro version of this perk is fantastic. The speed at which you can swap weapons is lightning quick, which is awesome for sniping, especially if you can pick up a second primary weapon.

BigBlackGamer said:
upload the video on YT and unlist it. All 3 of my videos are still up.

Youtube downgrades the shit out of your video quality. Their "HD" videos aren't HD at all.

What the hell is up with Vimeo's 500 mb limit? It looks like my video won't be very long unless I compress the shit out of it.

Got to check out the R/C car includes in the prestige edition- looks like it's the cheapest possible thing to have every been put on four wheels.

I used to work at a hobby shop years ago and the $19.99 beginner RC cars that were ready to run out of the boss looked better built.

Raide

I really hope they split the DLC Maps into MP stuff and Zombie mode. I pretty much only got WaW for the Zombie mode and it sucked having to buy full map packs for 1 map. :lol

johnFkennedy said:
What the hell is up with Vimeo's 500 mb limit? It looks like my video won't be very long unless I compress the shit out of it.
You could always chop your video up into sections and upload them one at a time.

PaNaMa

Banned
aku:jiki said:
That's what he's saying, and he's right. When was the last time you actually played an older CoD, man? Just for reference, I still play CoD4 and WaW and I think you're misremembering.

CoD4 is extremely similar to MW2! Before I re-bought it about a year ago, I had memories like yours about how weapons were harder to use, people were harder to kill and it was harder to be a cheap bastard, but I was really surprised when I booted it back up again... I think only 2-3 guns have idle sway, and when they do sway, it's fake sway (gun moves, red dot stays in place). Most guns have zero recoil, or fake recoil (same as the sway). It plays just like MW2, just without massive amounts of shitty tactics or kits.

(One of these days, I'm gonna succeed at tricking a quickscoping hater to go buy CoD4... That'll be hilarious. :D)

Respectfully, I disagree. The no-recoil, (relative to MW1) long range (relative to MW1) rapey damage (relative to MW1) and non wavering accuracy of a pishpishpishpish SMG in MW2 is not the same at all as it was in MW1 or even WaW (except MP40).

Compare the P90 from MW1 to the UMP (or even P90) in MW2 with a red dot, say. Both are submachine guns, but in MW2 you could pretty much hold the trigger down and never stray from your target. In MW1 you had to squeeze a few rounds at a time to really control the recoil. Particularly with the assualt rifles and LMGs. SMGs didn't recoil very much in MW1 I know, that's not what I'm saying, but in MW2 their distance has a much more forgiving effective range, combined with super accuracy .. it sort of took away from people even using other layouts. I

mean, aside from say levelling up a LMG for experience points, how many people do you know who played LMG class as their personal fave? Why use a LMG at all when an assualt rifle has the same range, and none of the recoil?

My friends and I went back to COD4 and WaW after the trash that was MW2, and we liked that those games had trickier gun controls. There were less choices for guns and perks, but somehow there was more identity.

I guess it's not that the guns has lots more recoil, but for whatever reason something got lost in the translation in MW2. I guess every weapon feels the same in MW2 or something, in that they all feel equally accurate and motionless in tracking and firing full bore. Subs had too much range and power, assault rifles had no drawbacks at all, and there was little incentive to use LMG at all due to the relative power of the other gun classes.

I don't know, I digress anyways. I'm really looking forward to Black Ops. The gunplay certainly does look more satisfying than MW2, and I'm encourged by the comments I've read so far.

Could you also try to get lots of footage of the dive to prone mechanic? Diving to pro while cooking a frag, diving through a window? Basically anything cool you can think of.

dude819

Anyone playing this online yet? I know a store that will have it tomorrow in NYC, will the servers be up or is it a waste?

There's a vid out there that shows the strela (new stinger) taking out a gunship with just 2 rockets, seems a bit too quick to me considering the gunship is an 11 killstreak. Also shows a SAM turret taking out a chopper gunner with 3 missles in about 10 seconds. Looks like dogs are the way to go for a high KS.

Top Bottom