• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

KoruptData said:
They need to get rid of the ability todo split screen in Wager Matches. Someone last night used it to get their guns up in a gun game.

Absolutely. Every Wager Match I go into has at least one team of screen sharers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ridiculous:

-The prison escape, absolutely ridiculous
-The chase across the rooftops in the rain, absolutely ridiculous
-You were BRAINWASHED, absolutely ridiculous
-Some Russian dude secretly placed nova gas bombs ALL OVER THE U.S., absolutely ridiculous
-HE HAS A SECRET UNDERWATER BASE, DO YOU SEE A PATTERN HERE???????

But yeah, all that shit is plausible.

What they need to fix is splitscreen. You can't personally name your classes if you're splitscreening. For some reason they always reset or merge with the other players.

Stallion Free said:
Ridiculous:

-Some Russian dude secretly placed nova gas bombs ALL OVER THE U.S., absolutely ridiculous

If you consider that the most ridiculous stuff in a game's story since MW2, you aren't playing many games.

Ramirez

_Bro said:
FAL is ridiculously good. Why aren't any of you using this thing? It's all snap and pop, baby.

I'd say it's awesome for Hardcore, but with the lag I rarely ever get anything good going with it in the core playlists.

_Bro said:
FAL is ridiculously good. Why aren't any of you using this thing? It's all snap and pop, baby.

Cant use it in anything but a four bar connection. Three bar connection in BO is almost unplayable at times for me with an AUG. :lol

Lothars

RedStep said:
That looks like a lag compensation issue, I'm pretty sure that everybody in here knows that the lunge is more like 3 feet now instead of the 13 that we see in that video. I know that I miss with my knife all the time and get shot in the face. Knife runners aren't an issue anymore.

I disagree I think the knife issue is just as bad as it was in MW2 because I find every game I am shooting someone and they lunge from a huge distance and kill me, I had it happen multiple times in different games.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
What they need to fix is splitscreen. You can't personally name your classes if you're splitscreening. For some reason they always reset or merge with the other players.
Yup, I hate having to rename all my classes when I go split. It's really freaking annoying, and I thought it was only happening to me. Good to see it's not an isolated issue on my end!

Stallion Free said:
Ridiculous:

Compared to MW2, this game is a documentary and the events happened in real time

Minamu

aku:jiki said:
I know. What happened was I was toiling away at work on release day, constantly regretting that I didn't take time off to play the game. Out of the blue, one of our servers crashed and since I'm fairly new, they had to roll back to before my accounts and stuff were up. So my boss came over to my desk, apologized profusely and asked if I wouldn't mind taking the rest of the day off while they set it all up again. I said I'd accept this sacrifice if they'd meet me halfway and let me take the whole rest of the week off. All agreed and I ran off to the store to buy the game. :lol
What kind of job is that? o_O :lol

RedStep

Neuromancer said:
Compared to MW2, this game is a documentary and the events happened in real time

There can be only one!

aku:jiki said:
I know. What happened was I was toiling away at work on release day, constantly regretting that I didn't take time off to play the game. Out of the blue, one of our servers crashed and since I'm fairly new, they had to roll back to before my accounts and stuff were up. So my boss came over to my desk, apologized profusely and asked if I wouldn't mind taking the rest of the day off while they set it all up again. I said I'd accept this sacrifice if they'd meet me halfway and let me take the whole rest of the week off. All agreed and I ran off to the store to buy the game.

Sounds like you're a key contributer there, to have that kind of pull.

Anerythristic said:
Cant use it in anything but a four bar connection. Three bar connection in BO is almost unplayable at times for me with an AUG. :lol

Like I said a few pages back i've had issues with the FAL, while your firing the gun will drop out and stop firing a few shots in and then your fucked.

kyo_daikun said:
Like I said a few pages back i've had issues with the FAL, while your firing the gun will drop out and stop firing a few shots in and then your fucked.

I think it's the jamming mechanism from pulling the trigger too fast.

I think the knife needs to be 1 hit kill from the back only, front or side hits should take more than one hit and only be useful in an emergency.

jergrah

Does this game have any sort of True Skill Matchmaking? Like behind the scenes that is not directly tied to your Rank? Meaning you are a Rank 17 but True Skill 2 or something like that?

I havent had much time at all to spend in the game as of yet, just made it to Rank 11 last night. But I have yet to play a single game where I am not the lowest Ranked person. My final match last night, I had just been promoted to 11 and the next lowest Rank in a Ground War match was 29.

I dont have any issue with the higher ranking people having different perks, weapons, etc. Even if I magically unlocked all of those tonight, I dont think Id finish with very different stats than I already am. It would just be nice to be matched with people of relatively similar skill.

Dresden

jergrah said:
Does this game have any sort of True Skill Matchmaking? Like behind the scenes that is not directly tied to your Rank? Meaning you are a Rank 17 but True Skill 2 or something like that?

I havent had much time at all to spend in the game as of yet, just made it to Rank 11 last night. But I have yet to play a single game where I am not the lowest Ranked person. My final match last night, I had just been promoted to 11 and the next lowest Rank in a Ground War match was 29.

I dont have any issue with the higher ranking people having different perks, weapons, etc. Even if I magically unlocked all of those tonight, I dont think Id finish with very different stats than I already am. It would just be nice to be matched with people of relatively similar skill.
Rank has nothing to do with skill, and the weapons you start with are perfectly acceptable, so don't worry about it.

jergrah

Dresden said:
Rank has nothing to do with skill, and the weapons you start with are perfectly acceptable, so don't worry about it.

Yeah - that's kind of what I was asking but may have phrased it wrong. I know that Rank != Skill, so was just wondering if behind the scenes the matchmaking takes into account some sort of unseen Skill Ranking at all?

In Progress:
- Improved match and host selection; will result in much better networking conditions for all games (a.k.a., decreased lag)
- Additional fine-tuning of audio levels and ranges for footsteps and gunfire
- Vahn also confirmed that they are working on the spawns.

Very important fixes that they have to get right, all 3 of them.

jacobs34

celestial body said:
In Progress:
- Improved match and host selection; will result in much better networking conditions for all games (a.k.a., decreased lag)

Agreed. If they can get these three things right, as well as stay ahead of the curb on user cheese (care package glitching, etc.) this game could be great online.

Stallion Free said:
Ridiculous:

It's a james bond story but badly done

Haha I see the old "put your party in a match down by 20 kills and 1 minute left to end your win streak" trick is still in the game.

We stayed in the lobby for the next game and it was 3v6 the entire time. We lost by 10 kills and our random teammate died 38 times. :lol :lol :lol

celestial body said:
In Progress:

Hopefully they make spawning much better then it currently is, right now it feels like you can spawn anywhere or spawn in the worst location on the map (in domination matches you can be spawn camped with ease)

Hell, spawning at the furthest point away from the enemy would work better then the current setup.

RJNavarrete said:
Yup, I hate having to rename all my classes when I go split. It's really freaking annoying, and I thought it was only happening to me. Good to see it's not an isolated issue on my end!

Same, I posted about this the day after the game dropped. These little things are extremely irksome, anyone know if/when they're patching the 360 version?

Fake edit: Just noticed the post above talking about patch progress. Fixing the lag is a good place to start, but they've got more than just those 3 things to fix.

Numpt3

I think that black ops story is pretty realistic apart from the 'silly' second level.
(Although shooting a helicopter with a harpoon gun is all kinds of awesome.) :D
. On another note I just managed to get down that damn barrell hill in vietnam on veteran, god that was a pain in the arse. :/

I had the worst blond moment ive ever had in my life playing this game. I killed an enemy who had just called in a care package, and in a bit of a rush I ran towards it and double tapped X (hardline pro), Just as I was tapping for the second time I read 'Gunship'. NOOOO. :lol

I ended up trading Gunship for a UAV, I felt like a right idiot. They need to have some Windows esque "are you sure" pop ups when your about to do something that stupid. :lol

bobs99 ... said:
I had the worst blond moment ive ever had in my life playing this game. I killed an enemy who had just called in a care package, and in a bit of a rush I ran towards it and double tapped X (hardline pro), Just as I was tapping for the second time I read 'Gunship'. NOOOO. :lol

I ended up trading Gunship for a UAV, I felt like a right idiot. They need to have some Windows esque "are you sure" pop ups when your about to do something that stupid. :lol

I've done this with a Blackbird and got an RC-XD instead. I cried a lil.

<3 the classified Light machine gun. Extended mag with rail sights = win.

Reasons: fast fire rate, powerful bullets, low recoil.

Loadouts of choice:
Iron sights, extended mag.
Scavenger, Sleight of Hand, Marathon

So awesome. Improved my K/D right away :lol

Only complaint.... it's called the 'stoner63' haha.

W Hudson

May have missed this, but I didn't know if anyone else is having a ton of problems getting stats to display under their playercard in the 360 version. First I was somewhere around 50,000 kills in TDM, now I'm not showing up and my friends stats are all over the place as well.

Also I saw it mentioned that you can see what guns have killed you the most, but I have not been able to find that. any help would be appreciated.

Last I must thank the Gaffer who recommended the AK74 w/ grip & rapid fire. Holy shit that combo is an absolute beast!

.nimrod

jergrah said:
Yeah - that's kind of what I was asking but may have phrased it wrong. I know that Rank != Skill, so was just wondering if behind the scenes the matchmaking takes into account some sort of unseen Skill Ranking at all?
I remember seeing an interview with David Vonderhaar where he said that no COD game has ever had skill based matchmaking and that Black Ops would be the same

edit: found something
When asked why Black Ops doesn't include a skill-based matchmaking system like Bungie's Halo 3,Vonderhaar explained, "There is no skill-based matchmaking. There never has been in any CoD game." Outside of tradition, the reason for that is simple: speed. "Speed of matchmaking is more important than anything else," he said. "There's already a lot of stuff that you have to do outside of the game [...] waiting around to play? Not fun."
source

Brian Fellows said:
What do the red highlighted names mean in a match lobby?

Your "Nemesis" from the last game, doesn't just mean he killed you the most, I had one where I killed the guy 7 times in a match and he didn't get me once.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
zero margin said:
I think it's the jamming mechanism from pulling the trigger too fast.

It's happened to me a lot, but I thought it was lag, if this is some sort of thing they added for people that are using turbo and it's effecting me, I think it's "sensitivity" is a bit low.

Stantron

AK74 w/ grip & rapid fire is good (I have it on one of my load outs), but in general it's hard to take anyone's recommendation on what's "beastly" when the games are so laggy. I can be beastly with the stock MP5K over any other class given the right connection advantage.

On a side note, I could be wrong, but I think that if a teammate is in the process of capturing one of your care packages, double tapping x to re-roll with Hardline Pro will not work. I dropped one, got killed, then rushed back after respawn, teammate got there a couple seconds sooner. I suppose I could have just grabbed it's contents overtaking his capture, but instead I was mashing x to get something better than a counter spy plane.

Top Bottom