• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Hanmik said:
black-ops-o.gif
This is pure gold :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Lonewolf_92 said:
Nearly everyone ran with Stopping Power anyway, so it still came down to connection speed and if you got the drop on somebody. Now that Perk Slot is free and we're seeing a lot more variety in loadouts.

Not only are launchers available, but one of the prefab builds (the LMG) comes with the very versatile starting launcher which has both free launch and air tracking, allowing even the newest of the new to deal with them. There is no need to suffer any air based kill streak reward other than ignorance, the tools to deal with it are right at your fingertips.

It only comes with one round and you'll probably get killed firing that one round.

nib95

Banned
Weenerz said:
An amazing piece of shit. Just don't use the awful scopes and it's like 2 shot kills for everyone.

Also, PC servers are down? Can't do anything atm.

How does it compare to the M16?

Brian Fellows said:
It only comes with one round and you'll probably get killed firing that one round.

If your going to be a bullet sponge anyway, at least you can be proactive about it. Besides, I've never been killed taking stuff down yet. Too few people bother.

Ballistik

What do you guys think is the best way to rank up? I've always been told Search and Destroy.. I've tried headquarters too.. but I don't quite think that's it, at least personally. Since MW2, I've found the best way to rank up is ground war, and having 3-4-5 awards with spy plane and counter spy plane to get those +100 quickly. It's pretty much what I only play. For example, right now I'm a 39 on first prestige with 23 hours of playtime, and all I've done is Ground war. Are you guys on the same boat?

Lonewolf_92 said:
If your going to be a bullet sponge anyway, at least you can be proactive about it. Besides, I've never been killed taking stuff down yet. Too few people bother.

I've only been able to take down one chopper... It always launches its counter measures and I miss my only shot... And I need 30 of them for ghost pro...

molekiller said:
I've only been able to take down one chopper... It always launches its counter measures and I miss my only shot... And I need 30 of them for ghost pro...
You could just shoot down enemy spy planes. It counts.

Somnium986 said:
You could just shoot down enemy spy planes. It counts.

Any tips on how to spot them before being shot while staring at the sky? xD But you are right, though... I try with choppers because they appear on the radar. I'll try harder on the spy planes.

SmokeMaxX

UFRA said:
My sarcasm detector is off the charts!

I played the map 3 times in a row today in Domination...stupid assholes kept voting for it over and over. I just quit the 3rd time.
Treyarch is patching that.

Was pulling my hair out with sooo many WTF kills against me last night. Never felt so frustrated.

I quit and put on Demon's Souls which seems far more entertaining.

I did however laugh once when my own Car Package dropped on me! Film didn't record though :(

molekiller said:
Any tips on how to spot them before being shot while staring at the sky? xD But you are right, though... I try with choppers because they appear on the radar. I'll try harder on the spy planes.
Sorry, I rarely get shot at will taking one down. XD When I look for one, I try to look at corners of the map. Usually their off in the distance some where.

cdyhybrid said:
Seems like the spawns are getting worse and worse.

This is exactly how I feel. It's either that or I'm getting spawn camped by some guy..

Does anyone else feel like players get the wrong gametypes? The TDM players play like it's objective based, and the objective players run around like it's TDM.. Oh lord :lol

aku:jiki

So, I'm almost 2nd prestige and have put over 48 hours into the multiplayer. Didn't play singleplayer at all yet.

Here's some of my random thoughts:

- Loving the game overall, and the fact that it's taking steps back to gunplay and away from all the other bullshit. It's got problems, like basically everything everywhere glitching in some way, but with a few patches this game has massive potential to be the only FPS I play for years to come.
- Loving the map and weapon design, it wants to focus on running and gunning and does not give any playstyle a real advantage over another. Really happy to see that the map design actually allows for shotgun primary play, or that you can run around like a mong with an SMG on any map with no problems. Awesome.
- Killstreaks not giving you killstreaks is amazing. It makes the game much more balanced and calm, but also makes the experience much more tense and exciting when you're going for your own streaks.
- Most of the killstreak rewards themselves are tons of fun to use. I especially like the Grim Reaper and Death Machine, and how they work (that you can only get them in a care package and that they're rare, but not ultra-rare).

- Dive is a little useless, isn't it? It's fun and cool and being able to Lightweight Pro-dive out of high places and potentially get a kill by doing it is absolutely hilarious, but as a serious combat manouver it's just completely useless and actually detrimental to most people's playstyle. We've been doing manual dives to prone in CoD for 6 games now, taking that away from us is a mindfuck we didn't ask for.
- I'm not a fan of the fact that Treyarch promised that they'd get rid of Commando, and how they made comments about how dumb that shit was, only to go ahead and give everybody Commando in Black Ops. Seriously, what the fuck? Why am I getting tele-knifed by everybody?!
- The game has some serious bullet lag issues. At first I thought it was my spotty connection, but now I've seen that it's doing it even when my connection is behaving. It does al lthe previous CoD bullet lag shit, but now it has the new feature of forgetting that you're firing bullets at the other guy halfway through the clip - sometimes you shoot and get hits but the hits just stop coming after 2 or 3 as the other guy spazzes out and shoots you. So not cool, Treyarch.
- FUCK THE RC XD UP ITS STUPID FUCKING ASS GOD DAMN IT FUCK YOU CANT HEAR THAT PIECE OF SHIT COMING AT ALL FUCK ME WHY DID I JUST DIE I DONT EVEN GOD DAMN IT
- Sniping is really, really, really dumb. Okay, those of us who like it get that many of you hate quickscoping. That's fine, remove the stuff that made it way too easy in MW2. Hell, if you need to, you can even make it a little bit harder than it was in CoD4. But they didn't need to make sniping completely impossible! The maps don't allow for sniping, the idiotic and impossible to control sway doesn't allow for sniping and supremely braindead feature where your shots will just randomly miss sometimes certainly doesn't allow for sniping. This weapon type was obviously designed by someone who hates one shot kills and decided to make it impossible for anyone who likes it. Childish and retarded, Treyarch. Grow up and balance the snipers properly.
- I want to love theater mode and what's there is certainly good enough for some decent little clips and montages, but the fucking thing sucks! I hear other people have no problems, but my best games never show up in my recent games even after days of waiting. Sometimes they show up but can never be played. If my game does save, then the streak I wanted to clip and upload to YouTube turns out to have been 45 seconds long which I can't upload. 30 seconds is some bullshit Activision - you're making a bajillion trillion dollars on this game and you don't even host the god damn videos yourselves, so why are you cheapskating us with a pathetic 30 seconds? Fix the glitches and get cut/paste and a 3 minute limit in there and we can talk. What's there right now is broken and pathetic.
- The Strela is going to be a massive problem eventually. It is simply not fair or fun that all the effort, care and skill that went into an 11 killstreak Gunship can be countered by another player pressing start, down, down, A, Y, LT and finally RT, repeating the last two presses twice. That's way too easy of a counter for something that takes way too much effort now. When the air support all came from a potentially hardlined Predator in MW2, the Stinger was fair game and a must. Now, the Strela is way too powerful and easy to use. The only map where a Gunship will stand a chance in 2 months is Nuketown, and on all other maps everything will instantly go down once people stop fucking around with ballistic knives and start putting Strelas in their kits. That's not cool. Remove the Strela, and remove the Chopper Gunner and Gunship from Care Packages. Instant balance.

To round off this bored-at-work huge post with a positive note, here's a list of things I think are awesome in the game: Galil, the fact that objective markers fade when you aim at them, the fact that Marathon Pro is still in, the Valkyrie rockets on the right map, the variety in the map environments, AK74u+grip+rapid fire, the new callsign system, theater mode, that you can boot directly to MP...hell, I can keep writing this list of awesome things all day. If they can just fix the glitches and various problems, this game is going to be insanely good. :D

Brian Fellows said:
Speak for yourself! The LAW is awesome for me, both for kills and taking down air support.

I'm constantly whining at my team for having other secondaries. in fact! Yelling at them that it's retarded how I'm the only one that rolls with a LAW. Having a LAW at all times totally rules, and having pistols isn't very necessary anymore... Enemy spy plane incoming? Down before it helps them get one kill. Some dude camping in a shitty spot and stopping your path? Boom. So useful in so many situations, and so easy to use.

Hanmik

aku:jiki said:
- I want to love theater mode and what's there is certainly good enough for some decent little clips and montages, but the fucking thing sucks! I hear other people have no problems, but my best games never show up in my recent games even after days of waiting. Sometimes they show up but can never be played. If my game does save, then the streak I wanted to clip and upload to YouTube turns out to have been 45 seconds long which I can't upload. 30 seconds is some bullshit Activision - you're making a bajillion trillion dollars on this game and you don't even host the god damn videos yourselves, so why are you cheapskating us with a pathetic 30 seconds? Fix the glitches and get cut/paste and a 3 minute limit in there and we can talk. What's there right now is broken and pathetic.

On PS3 I too can never watch a match that I just played.
If I chose it, teh game tells me that the Clip isn´t there or something like that.
But If I move i to the 6 spots (the private theater or what it is called), then I can watch the matches and use them..

Some good points. Don't agree with removing the Strela though. Thing is a godsend and its efficiency has actually managed to promote some level of team play and awareness. Generally you'll still die at least once or twice shooting town a Gunner/Gunship and it'll still take at least 15-20 secs doing so, which allows for a decent rack-up of kills anyway (depending on the map of course). It's not broken.

GeekyDad

Hanmik said:

Funny video...

But I'm curious what downed the guy in the first place. There were no shots fired beforehand, yet he went down before your grenade landed. Not just him, but another guy in the background, too. Both guys went down at precisely the same time, and the screen stuttered like a "boom" went off. Makes me think your grenade maybe got a little help from lag. Weird scene.

Sealda

Banned
Am i the only one thinking the MP5 is awesome? Seriously better than the AK47u. Not in stats but maybe in balance overall? For some reason the Mp5 with extended mags makes me awesome in run and gun.

Makes me able to do these kinda things, btw Sensitive 10 for the win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWERMptCmyE&feature=player_embedded

Also, i remember at first in MW2 i started out after like 5 days of played (game time) with 2.60 kdr but slowly it deteriorated till 2.10 something after 14 days played. I am sure the same thing will happen in BO. Btw, it seems a bit harder to get good kdr in BO which i think is nice. Also i love the focus on gun fights and the weaker damage/greater health. Finally you can actually react to someone shooting at you with fleeing! In MW2 the damage were way too high!

Sealda said:
Am i the only one thinking the MP5 is awesome? Seriously better than the AK47u. Not in stats but maybe in balance overall? For some reason the Mp5 with extended mags makes me awesome in run and gun.

I kill far more easily with the AK47u. I can't stand the MP5... The first levels I used the M16 instead... Yesterday I did an 8 killstreak the first time I picked up the UZI, It means nothing, I just had luck with a so so smg.

molekiller said:
I kill far more easily with the AK47u. I can't stand the MP5... The first levels I used the M16 instead... Yesterday I did an 8 killstreak the first time I picked up the UZI, It means nothing, I just had luck with a so so smg.
so Uzi or AK47u?

Skel said:
Wow 48 hours in 7 days.. not including sleep and work.

That's a little much lol.

That is actually not that bad with a weekend in there. With nothing better going on I have been known to sink a good 30 hours into a game from Friday-Sunday. Of course those were the days of not having a wife and a house, now I am stuck trying to sneak in 15 minute games when I can.

Always-honest said:
so Uzi or AK47u?

AK47u, the UZI game was luck more than anything, I could have done the same with the AK. The next match I realized it's a worse smg. In this game usually kills the most whoever takes more people by surprise, there's not enough time to react if you are being shot, so luck (or a good camping spot) is quite important here.

DMeisterJ said:
The first time I equipped Ghost I ran into an enemy Sentry Gun. I guess that was mighty lucky.

The last time I saw a sentry gun was in Jungle, somebody had placed it up on the lookout in the middle of the map. It was my first time playing that map and I had no idea how to get up there. :(

aku:jiki

Skel said:
Wow 48 hours in 7 days.. not including sleep and work.

That's a little much lol.
I know. What happened was I was toiling away at work on release day, constantly regretting that I didn't take time off to play the game. Out of the blue, one of our servers crashed and since I'm fairly new, they had to roll back to before my accounts and stuff were up. So my boss came over to my desk, apologized profusely and asked if I wouldn't mind taking the rest of the day off while they set it all up again. I said I'd accept this sacrifice if they'd meet me halfway and let me take the whole rest of the week off. All agreed and I ran off to the store to buy the game. :lol

_Alkaline_ said:
Some good points. Don't agree with removing the Strela though. Thing is a godsend and its efficiency has actually managed to promote some level of team play and awareness. Generally you'll still die at least once or twice shooting town a Gunner/Gunship and it'll still take at least 15-20 secs doing so, which allows for a decent rack-up of kills anyway (depending on the map of course). It's not broken.
It is broken, and not to be an ass, but you are not considering all the nuances of the situation.

First off, and on most maps, the situation you just wrote does not occur. The enemy team generally doesn't keep spawning in a cluster in BO like they would while you were chopper gunnering in MW2, and you're forgetting that you have to turn the Gunship yourself to catch someone who switched spawns. And noticing, turning and firing in time is not something you just pull off at will - he will get you more often than not. The killstreaks are harder to get and harder to use (in certain aspects), but the counter is just as easy to use as ever. There's a very clear disconnect and imbalance there.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
the_prime_mover said:
Put about a day+ into the PS3 MP then traded it in for the 360 version. The MP game itself is substantially better on the 360 in my experience so far. However the community on the 360 is absolute shit. TDM and Sabotage are completely useless game modes as everyone just camps. A few of us played a game of Sabotage on Radiation where the other team didn't even try to pick up the bomb. They just allowed it to sit next to their crate and then just camped for kills. Pathetic.

I also seem to have a much harder time getting kills on the 360. I think this may be a combination of my inexperience with FPS on the 360 pad and a generally higher level of proficiency among those I am playing against. Lag is still a major factor on the 360 but the game runs a lot smoother.

It sucks that I have to unlock all of my pro perks again. On the PS3 I didn't even pay attention to the Marathon Pro requirements, but now it seems like such a chore. And with Flack Pro, well, after a certain point everyone stopped using grenades and instead went for semtex.

My major gripe though is that there seems to be no skill balancing in these games. I am ranked level 24 and being pitted against someone who is already on their second prestige, has their sensitivity at 10 and can headshot me before I can even react. I can appreciate their skill, but with such a disparity I can't really have any fun.

I am somewhat stunned by the disparity between the two communities TBH. The pool on Live may be much larger, but there are far more shallow parts and people are definitiely pissing in it.

Ballistik said:
What do you guys think is the best way to rank up? I've always been told Search and Destroy.. I've tried headquarters too.. but I don't quite think that's it, at least personally. Since MW2, I've found the best way to rank up is ground war, and having 3-4-5 awards with spy plane and counter spy plane to get those +100 quickly. It's pretty much what I only play. For example, right now I'm a 39 on first prestige with 23 hours of playtime, and all I've done is Ground war. Are you guys on the same boat?

Headquarters or S&D are probably the best either way, just play what you prefer. I enjoy HQ, as theres a steady stream of xp coming your way even when your not doing the objective itself.

harrytang

Pennybags said:
FYI, you can bypass the flares on enemy aircraft by firing the LAW before you establish a lock-on.

do you think it may have to do more with the distance between you and the target? i fired at a heli and hit, flares went off, but i was so close the heli really couldnt move. havent tried firing across the map no lock on. might have to now.

butts

Tried my hand at sniping yesterday, was pretty fun. Really inconsistent though. Managed to get Perfectionist without realizing it with 5 quick shots though and uploaded the clip. Hard as hell to see much in it though, the video quality is pretty bad.

I found that the variable zoom scope is really helpful, and just keep the thing at minimum zoom the entire time. I treated sniping like really cautious assault rifle use and it worked out pretty well in some cases and in others it was a struggle to just break even. If you can control the engagement as long as you use the bolt action you can get a 1 shot kill pretty consistently.

Xux said:
Which AK are you talking about? 'Cause the AK47 and Commando are identical statistically, despite what the in game stat bars say, except for the Commando having a faster reload and raising faster when you switch to it.

The AK74u does have more recoil and takes one more bullet to kill at range as well as having about half the range as the two ARs.

LMGs lower your movement speed to 87.5% of SMGs and ARs lower it to 95%. Stuff like ADS speed and switching back to them from your secondary is also slower.

Here's the site with all the stats if you wanna see for yourself:

http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

Hmm that doesnt seem right, im convinced the AK47 (assualt rifle) is slightly more powerful - im also convinced its got more recoil. Maybe attachments make a difference - does Reflex site actually make a gun appear to have less recoil like I keep hearing?

From those charts the Commando beats the AK flat down, simply because its faster but im not convinced that those charts tell the full story. hmm.

todahawk

Fuckin' a got spawn camped bad this morning trying to play a quick match of demolition.

Started off ok for about 30 seconds before I died and on respawn before I could even take 1 full step or turn was gunned down 3x in a row. Tried delaying respawn but still got camped, the other team was sitting right there waiting. Happened a few more times, the other team wouldn't even attempt to arm they just kept hunting. Top 3 guys on their squad were all 60+/20'ish.

Pennybags

harrytang said:
do you think it may have to do more with the distance between you and the target? i fired at a heli and hit, flares went off, but i was so close the heli really couldnt move. havent tried firing across the map no lock on. might have to now.

Free-fire has never failed me, and I've always used it at close-range because I can't aim the damn thing.

Just to be safe, though, I'll try doing it again today in a closed environment instead of using the Strela.

DSN2K

OK WTF is going on here....

For some reason I cant play online on the PC at the same time as my Brother is on the PS3, Soon as I load the map it sticks on "Waiting for Other Players" then simply loses connection after about 30seconds, surely they are not both linked ???

RS4-

The thing about the damn spyplanes and looking for it, it doesn't show up for a good 5-10 seconds after it gets called in. I guess it gives someone and advantage just long enough instead of having them shot down as soon as they're called.

bobs99 ... said:
Hmm that doesnt seem right, im convinced the AK47 (assualt rifle) is slightly more powerful - im also convinced its got more recoil. Maybe attachments make a difference - does Reflex site actually make a gun appear to have less recoil like I keep hearing?

From those charts the Commando beats the AK flat down, simply because its faster but im not convinced that those charts tell the full story. hmm.

Commando definetly has less recoil than the AK but I do agree that the AK seems to do a hell of a lot more damage.

Top Bottom