• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Manus

Also, my button layout is set to tactical yet sometimes when I start a match my melee is still set to my right anolog stick. I have to go to my button layout to fix it and it gets very annoying. Anyone else having this problem?

W Hudson

Another improvement I like is taking K/D ratio off the stats page for Domination and CTF, hopefully that reduces the amount of people who play those games like they would play TDM. Anybody think this is the case? I haven't played these game types much yet so I can't comment.

Xux

bobs99 ... said:
Hmm that doesnt seem right, im convinced the AK47 (assualt rifle) is slightly more powerful - im also convinced its got more recoil. Maybe attachments make a difference - does Reflex site actually make a gun appear to have less recoil like I keep hearing?

From those charts the Commando beats the AK flat down, simply because its faster but im not convinced that those charts tell the full story. hmm.

The guns are listed by individual gun/attachment combination (MP5K Ext. Mags, MP5K RDS etc.) in the programming and the guy that made the chart said he listed all of the attachments that change stuff (silencers, Python Snub Nose, and CZ75 Full Auto).

This'll probably sound stupid but reducing muzzle flash, which silencers and having a tall/elevated sight like the Reflex can do, gives the illusion of less recoil since you can see where your bullets are going easier.

W Hudson said:
Another improvement I like is taking K/D ratio off the stats page for Domination and CTF, hopefully that reduces the amount of people who play those games like they would play TDM. Anybody think this is the case? I haven't played these game types much yet so I can't comment.

I'm sick of playing headquarters and people ignoring the objective. People play that because it is the best way to earn the coveted XP, but then ignore the best ways to get that, by working as a team, and resort to playing it the same way as TDM. In my opinion, you should get even less points than you already earn for kills. Although, honestly, I don't think it would matter. I end up becoming one of maybe two people going for capture points, and just get sliced up every time I go near it. Maybe I'm just bad...(well, I know I'm not good, but never assumed I was bad).

knitoe said:
Seems like it makes it worse. Or, since it seems to take twice as long to kill someone, holding down the trigger longer makes more recoil.

I'm doing no better with the suppressor on. Its seemingly takes twice the amount of bullets for a kill at any range above "short."

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
So many people need to chill the fuck out in this game :lol nothing worse than enjoying watching some guy pwn some other guy on the winning kill cam and the guy who got pwned bitching his ass of, really takes me out the moment.

Xux said:
The guns are listed by individual gun/attachment combination (MP5K Ext. Mags, MP5K RDS etc.) in the programming and the guy that made the chart said he listed all of the attachments that change stuff (silencers, Python Snub Nose, and CZ75 Full Auto).

This'll probably sound stupid but reducing muzzle flash, which silencers and having a tall/elevated sight like the Reflex can do, gives the illusion of less recoil since you can see where your bullets are going easier.

I genuinely think this is the case.

Also I've noticed on that list that the guns I gravitate towards generally all seem to have a degree of downwards recoil. Interesting.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
subversus said:
I must say that after BFBC2 this game feels very stupid. It's stupid but addictive. By stupid I mean that people can hold all strategic points during the match and it's very hard to flush them out. So they just do it again and again and again and again. There's no such shit in BFBC2. There are no cozy campspots. So I think I might go back at some time.

Different game types, in fact, an argument could be made that what you are bitching about is considered map control, which is something to be achieved in competitive play.

Odrion

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Ridiculous:

-The prison escape, absolutely ridiculous
-The chase across the rooftops in the rain, absolutely ridiculous
-You were BRAINWASHED, absolutely ridiculous
-Some Russian dude secretly placed nova gas bombs ALL OVER THE U.S., absolutely ridiculous
-HE HAS A SECRET UNDERWATER BASE, DO YOU SEE A PATTERN HERE???????

But yeah, all that shit is plausible.
It's like that sometimes, I mean ridiculous
It's like that sometimes, the shit ridiculous

KiKaL said:
I am going for hardline pro and I think it is hilarious that I have to ask people to pick up my packages. I've dropped packages and left them for minutes without anyone touching them. It's nice that people are assholes and snagging them but still funny how nice people are about it. I had one map where I called a care package. Got killed before opening it. Died twice more and spawned across the map. I still was able to make it and open the care package. It was a chopper too.

This.

People are morons. I will tell people before I even throw down the care package that they can have it so I'm not cheating them or anything by leaving crappy stuff. And they still won't get it. But of course before this when I actually generally want what's in the care package everybody rushes it trying to get it before me. Frustrating. I could have had the pro version right now but a bunch of my care package just have been taken by the other team since nobody on my team will get them.

biosnake20 said:
is there a smg better than the ak74u?

It depends on your uses and your engagement distances. I rock a PM63 with Rapid fire and I do pretty well with it. But then when that gun I rush like a madman and catch people off guard with the high rate of fire.

aku:jiki

biosnake20 said:
Three hours ago, I would've said no. I've been spending those three hours with a silenced Kiparis, though, and it's been a fucking beast! Doesn't hurt that the firing animation is badass, with the empty shells flying everywhere. :D

luoapp

SmokingBarrelX said:
I'm sick of playing headquarters and people ignoring the objective. People play that because it is the best way to earn the coveted XP, but then ignore the best ways to get that, by working as a team, and resort to playing it the same way as TDM. In my opinion, you should get even less points than you already earn for kills. Although, honestly, I don't think it would matter. I end up becoming one of maybe two people going for capture points, and just get sliced up every time I go near it. Maybe I'm just bad...(well, I know I'm not good, but never assumed I was bad).

I don't know. I mean, if you play with random people, isn't the best and simplest strategy is to let the best shooter do the shooting, and not-so-good capturing the site/flag? Probably, the real problem is everyone thinks he is the "best shooter" :) Even in your case, I would say, you got "sliced up" because you/your team didn't kill enough enemy before you going in.

demolitio

biosnake20 said:
The Spectre is my favorite weapon so I think so. Put a grip and rapid fire on that baby and you're golden. I went 89-12 and had the most captures on normal Firing Range HQ so I wasn't even camping for kills.

The Kiparis has better stats than the Spectre but I don't like it as much, especially since it only holds 20 rounds.

.nimrod

I'm really starting to get the hang of sniping in Black Ops. I just hat an awesome match with the L96, but of course only that one match doesn't show up on my recent games list >:|

aku:jiki said:
Three hours ago, I would've said no. I've been spending those three hours with a silenced Kiparis, though, and it's been a fucking beast! Doesn't hurt that the firing animation is badass, with the empty shells flying everywhere. :D

is that the classified one?

I'm disappointed that I have use the FAL differently than what I did in MW2. I tried out a red dot with silencer with ghost which kinda sucked. So I tried out extended magazine and red dot with hardline. Oh Yeah!!! That is the sweet spot right there.

Xux

SmokingBarrelX said:

Yeah, it's hilarious when you consider the fact that they made it so that everyone that contributes to capping the HQ gets the first 150, each tick is five times as much EXP as MW2, and there's challenges that reward you a ton of EXP as you cap more HQs, get Defender kills, win by 70 or more points, win without letting the other team cap, get Offense kills, just flat out get points, place in the top three, and simply win HQ games.

People'd level up so fast if they all moved in for the cap when it came online each time. The match bonus is almost doubled (I think) when you when by objective instead of time. Winning within the last 30 seconds plus getting all of the kills from generally being near the objective gets you way more EXP than camping the whole time and winning by time.

biosnake20 said:

I do pretty well with the PM63 and the Uzi. You could always, ya know, try them all and see for yourself.

luoapp said:
I don't know. I mean, if you play with random people, isn't the best and simplest strategy is to let the best shooter do the shooting, and not-so-good capturing the site/flag? Probably, the real problem is everyone thinks he is the "best shooter" :) Even in your case, I would say, you got "sliced up" because you/your team didn't kill enough enemy before you going in.

Well, usually I will go in, get a kill, maybe two if I'm lucky, and I think I have people covering my ass, but I get lit up, and realize they didn't stay with me. Like I said, I'm not a great player, relatively average, so it could just be on me. But even when I play with a buddy or two, even slightly tactically, we do better because someone is covering.

It just seems that people are choosing to play TDM on the Headquarters playlist because they want to get more XP. If you want to play TDM, play TDM. Maybe the solution is to even out all the playlists XP wise so people can play the game types they want to play, instead of crowding the objective based gametypes because they've been told they level faster.

I want to prestige, just like everyone else (or get to max level) but I'm in no rush. I vary my playlists because sometimes I want to capture some flags, and other times I want to light people up. I play the associated playlist to my current preference.

Dresden

The Kiparis is pretty sick. The last three--MPL, Spectre, and Kips--all feel similar to me, and both the MPL and the Spectre carry 30+ rounds as oppose to the Kiparis's 20, but there's something about the way that gun fires. Like it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
My kdr is pathetic in this compared to MW2, WaW, and MW1. I think it's that I can never get a game of free for all going. This TDM is killing me.

Stantron

I gotta say, I really like Theater mode, especially for a first pass attempt in the series. Being able to see where you're kills/deaths/assists were in the time line is nice. Probably obvious, but I think Activision is going to monetise the feature set at some point down the road. Longer clips to render, higher quality renders, larger file share. Technically, this is just the beta to gather data, work out the kinks, and see how popular it is.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Stantron said:
I gotta say, I really like Theater mode, especially for a first pass attempt in the series. Being able to see where you're kills/deaths/assists were in the time line is nice. Probably obvious, but I think Activision is going to monetise the feature set at some point down the road. Longer clips to render, higher quality renders, larger file share. Technically, this is just the beta to gather data, work out the kinks, and see how popular it is.

Yeah, probably for higher quality too, Bungie does it, no reason to believe Activision will pass up the chance.

SmokingBarrelX said:
It just seems that people are choosing to play TDM on the Headquarters playlist because they want to get more XP. If you want to play TDM, play TDM. Maybe the solution is to even out all the playlists XP wise so people can play the game types they want to play, instead of crowding the objective based gametypes because they've been told they level faster.
If the rest of the CoD community thinks like me, they do this because TDM in CoD pretty much blows. What I like about CoD is the killing. I sometimes really enjoy the tactical aspects of playing the objective, and I'm never the type to fully ignore the objectives and allow my team to lose a Domination with 200-0, but I am one of the "so-called" slayers in my team...which is the fancy clan play name for "dude who ignores the objective and plays TDM."

Killing is what playing the game is about, but the problem is that TDM makes killing harder than all the other modes! The constantly moving spawns mean you end up with guys shooting you in the back, or you can end up chasing the spawns without seeing anyone for like a full minute. On top of that, it takes a little while into the match for a player like me to feel the flow and really get into it. By the time that happens, a TDM is over, but an objective game is only about halfway. Lots of time to really flow and get some killstreaks.

My suggestion for a solution is adding maybe a whole TDM subsection to the playlists - 7500 score limit, 10000, 15000, 20000... Hell, throw in a "locked spawns" subsection too. It doesn't ruin Demolition and make it unplayable, so why not give it a shot in TDM?

luoapp

SmokingBarrelX said:
Well, usually I will go in, get a kill, maybe two if I'm lucky, and I think I have people covering my ass, but I get lit up, and realize they didn't stay with me.

Well, if your teammates are chasing enemies, then they are helping "cover your ass", aren't they? Sitting duck in the spot isn't the best strategy, if there is someone holding that already. Admitted, I am more of run-and-gun kinda of player, so that's just my reasoning of doing that in a domination game :) Besides, I "believe" I am a pretty good shooter, just like everyone else does.

To me, most of playlists are just one variant of deathmatches. The only different one is S&D, which really has a unique dynamic. But since they halved the number of claymore from 2 to 1 in MW2, they also reduced the fun there. :(

I'm up to level 32 now and getting half-decent at the game. I played a 24/7 Nuketown map the other night which was hilarious. Yeah it's a small map but that's what makes it so much fun, you spend less time running around looking for people to kill and more time actually killing people. I don't get all the hate for it!

I can't seem to vote for maps before a match.

Is there a lot of server problems going on right now? It felt glitchy since last night and this morning to afternoon.

Gary Whitta said:
I'm up to level 32 now and getting half-decent at the game. I played a 24/7 Nuketown map the other night which was hilarious. Yeah it's a small map but that's what makes it so much fun, you spend less time running around looking for people to kill and more time actually killing people. I don't get all the hate for it!

My hate eminates from playing it the 5th fucking time in a row.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Which reminds me, any gaffers wanna get some games going feel free to add me, GT is AlienShogun on Xbox. I have room on my friends list, I can't remember if they added more slots or not with the update.

Nuketown rules
if the lag is OK :lol
!

Stantron said:
I really hope you're right, that would be awesome! Activision would be retarded to pass it up - they stand to make so much money off 360 noscope montage kids. Add cut and paste and a bin, up the limit to 3-5 minutes and add a store for adding songs. Oh shit, am I giving Kotick ideas with that last one? :lol

I don't think anyone at Activision or Treyarch really have any fucking clue what kind of a consumer base they really have or else they would've made quickscoping even easier than in MW2 and they would've added a selection of 25 eminem songs to lay on top of your radtacular noscope montages, and a pop-up suggestion to save the clip, auto-add Eminem's Not Afraid and instantly upload it to YouTube whenever you pull off a 1337 quickscope.

God damn, I should be designing games. Hit me up, Activision.

Odrion

Banned
I'm rank 44, with over 15 hours played.

Nuketown still hasn't came up on my map rotation. I've been playing FFA, Mercenary Team Deathmatch, and Ground War. What's up? :lol

ultron87

I feel like 7/10 of the population in this game don't even realize that the option to vote for maps exists.

Unless they are voting for Nuketown the 27th time in a row, then they are all on the ball.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
You're all playing Gun Game, right?

Everyone starts with pistols. If you get a kill, you upgrade to dual pistols, then get a shotgun with the next kill. It keeps going up - uzis, assault rifles, LMGs, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, china lake, crossbow and finally ballistic knife. If you get knifed, you're demoted down a weapon.

It's very fun. Under Wager Matches, you have to try it.

Top Bottom