• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Stantron

Chrange said:
I only really laugh when I blow up the helicopter before it drops off a sentry gun or care package.
Yeah, I love doing that and seeing the care package drop on top of a building they can't reach. It seems like the lock on to the care package choppers is a little wonky though. Several times, I just get one lock on beep.

I bet it's possible to get a kill with a Strela-3 rocket by locking onto an aircraft just before it flies behind a building, then firing when an enemy gets between your line of sights. The stars would need to align favorably to pull this off though.

steadfast said:
Now if they would just put in Doggie Treat tactical grenades, I'd be happy
What are you referring to here?

Fugu

Effect said:
I've been wondering, is gameplay on the PC (especially multiplayer) slower compare to the consoles? I mean it would take a bit more time I assume to use the different keys on the keyboard even if you remapped them to be within reach of one hand. Is is that just not the case at all?
This question should be on every page a few times.

iam220

Mr. B Natural said:
^Ak47 and Galil have the exact same recoil. It's all a little random though, but that's the case for all guns. Check out the chart that I linked.

Well no, not the exact same. In the chart you linked, starting from the top and going clockwise. Galil has 60,60,20,10 and ak has 60,60,30,60. So if I understand the chart correctly, the Galil tends to kick to the right and up while the ak is more of a center-up.

snap0212

Bumblebeetuna said:
lol, I played tons of WaW on PS3 to prep for Black Ops and I played just fine with all my DLC for the game residing on my 360. Also, it's been a couple weeks since release. Patches take time. This is just one more area Treyarch obliterates IW in.
I cannot play the game, because their matchmaking puts everyone in the same lobbies even if not everyone has all the DLC. You then get kicked out of the lobby. Even Activision says that it's a game breaking bug/problem and that I can get my money back if I want to return the game.

Najaf

purple cobra said:
What do you play on? 360, PS3 or PC? I usually jump into the lower bracket wager matches. It's only 10 COD points, sometimes doubled down to 20. Thanks for the heads up though.

The pro versions I still have left below. Since I'm not prestiging, I'm trying to get these out of the way.

Lightweight: Just have the offensive medals left. To be clear what exactly constitutes these? I've done three but I'm not sure exactly what it is.
Flack Jacket: Just have the enemy frag grenades challenge. Since I never really concentrate on this, not sure how hard it is.
Hardened: Have all three challenges left but none seem especially hard. Just time consuming.
Scout: Kinda waiting to see if they change sniping before I try this one.
Tactical Mask: Seems time consuming so I haven't even tried yet.
Marathon: Just have the capture the flag challenge left.

Fugu

iam220 said:
Well no, not the exact same. In the chart you linked, starting from the top and going clockwise. Galil has 60,60,20,10 and ak has 60,60,30,60. So if I understand the chart correctly, the Galil tends to kick to the right and up while the ak is more of a center-up.
This.

The Galil, Commando and AK-47 are similar but not identical.

The Galil has more biased recoil than the Commando and the AK-47; the Commando is a superior version of the AK-47 (faster reload and swap).

Dresden

Stoney Mason said:
Hardened: Have all three challenges left but none seem especially hard. Just time consuming.
Scout: Kinda waiting to see if they change sniping before I try this one.
Hardened doesn't take very long, if you have Hacker for the last challenge. Scout Pro has been absolutely useless though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stoney Mason said:
The pro versions I still have left below. Since I'm not prestiging, I'm trying to get these out of the way.
Flack Jacket: Just have the enemy frag grenades challenge. Since I never really concentrate on this, not sure how hard it is.

I found this to be hard simply because most people are smart enough to cook grenades or they switch to semtex. Even then, chances are by the time you see a grenade coming you'll have to deal with the guy rushing at you as well.

Demolition's a good place to do it though, since you can almost predict that grenades will come flying toward the objectives.

Xux

Stoney Mason said:

Lightweight: Just have the offensive medals left. To be clear what exactly constitutes these? I've done three but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

It's when you kill someone near an objective and it says "Offense: Killed someone defending the objective" at the top of your screen.

RJNavarrete said:
No.

The first one you bolded literally happened. I got into tons of matches for about two weeks with infinite GL, RPG, THUMPER, Grenades, etc. You didn't have to reload or anything. Shit was like explosive diarrhea.

Yep. You'd look up and it would look like one of those night scenes you'd see in WWII documentaries with all the flack flying up into the air. Shit would be raining down all over worse than any killstreak with hardly any place where you could stand if you ran into a team abusing it. The crap that went down in MW2 during the first few months make Black Ops look perfect in comparison. :lol

Stantron

Alienshogun said:
He means something to keep the dogs off of his ass.
:lol Ah, okay, I'm slow. I was thinking this was some kind of an inside joke.

Speaking of tactical grenades, I kind of wish Treyarch kept the Flare grenade in BO. It's useless for the most part, but would have only added a bit more diversity and fun, especially if running with the tactical mask perk.

Stantron said:
:lol Ah, okay, I'm slow. I was thinking this was some kind of an inside joke.

Speaking of tactical grenades, I kind of wish Treyarch kept the Flare grenade in BO. It's useless for the most part, but would have only added a bit more diversity and fun, especially if running with the tactical mask perk.
Me and three buddies using the three signal flares perk and the shades perk lighting up the level = fun fun times. One time the other team bitched about it and told everyone to equip shades, so we did the same thing with gas mask and three gas grenades. :lol :lol

EDIT: I have been doing this with Warlord Pro and Tac Mask Pro. It's my troll class. :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mysticwhip said:
So is the PS3 version as bad as this thread makes it out to be?
Campaign is fine but a couple of the maps in multiplayer (Firing Range and Jungle) have some serious framerate issues.

I'm baaaack! :lol

So much must have happened in my absence! I don't know where to begin looking. Can someone catch me up on the last two weeks of this thread while I gather my thoughts for my first real post after my first GAF ban? :D

Nizz

mysticwhip said:
So is the PS3 version as bad as this thread makes it out to be?
If you've ever played a COD game's MP on PS3, you know they've been pretty smooth technically (framerate). For some reason I don't understand, this game's MP is like a step back as far as framerate.

You watch an airstrike hit and the framerate can get pretty damn choppy. Overall generally the game just doesn't feel as smooth. Some maps like firing range and jungle you can see/feel the game isn't running as smoothly as it should.

There's issues like lag but I understand that's happening on the 360 also. Disconnects seem pretty common to me also. There's a nice little shortcut to go straight to the MP on 360 that for some reason or other isn't in the PS3 version.

I saw the feature mentioned here and thought damn, that sounds pretty cool. But it's only on the 360. Saying all these things though, when there isn't lag or heavy strain on the engine deep down I like the game itself.

Such a shame that some of the technical stuff can get in the way of the fun

*edit* Welcome back division! :D

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:

So much must have happened in my absence! I don't know where to begin looking. Can someone catch me up on the last two weeks of this thread while I gather my thoughts for my first real post after my first GAF ban? :D

Blackbird-Chopper Gunner-Dogs-Profit.

Now they need a Chopper Gunner that shoots Attack Dogs.

SUPREME1

Banned
Stupidest thing Treyarch did was to allow voting on the last level played.

NUKETOWN AGAIN??? Sure, why not... : \

It's gotten frustratingly bad.

VaLiancY

divisionbyzorro said:

A CoD game had a rough launch. =\

dwin45

ImperialConquest said:

You can only play a level twice in a row now. They disabled voting for it beyond two games.

ImperialConquest said:

On 360 it is patched to where you can only revote for the previous map one time and then you must vote for the next map in the cycle or a random map. Is this not the case on PS3/PC?

So here are some quick, disjointed thoughts on the game so far:

I really like the perk balance. No perk seems to really dominate at any tier, with the exception perhaps of Hardline. My only perk complaint is that the pro perk challenges are all over the place in terms of difficulty, which is really annoying, although I find that most pro variations aren't particularly useful.

I'm still up in the air on the Ninja nerf. Sound whoring was excellent in MW2, and I find it somewhat annoying that you can't use it as effectively in Black Ops. The side effect of this is that Hacker has risen in value, which has made claymores decrease in value (which makes me sad).

The assault rifles seem to just get better and better as you level up! I'm currently in love with the AK47, but before that it was the AUG and before that it was the FAMAS. I'm almost up to the G11, which I know from picking it up a few times is ridiculously strong. Maybe I just started getting better at the game, but it really feels like the higher-level ARs are actually better than the lower level guns.

With few exceptions, I find the SMGs to be mostly useless. I like the AK74u, but the others just annoy me too much. AK74u + Grip + Rapid Fire, however... <3

I also find the LMGs to be mostly useless - except the MG40. I don't think a more satisfying gun has ever been in a COD game. CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA...

Shotguns are predictably bad. Why did they bother to make shotguns into primaries if they planned to nerf them so badly? The only halfway decent shotgun is the SPAS, and even that gets outclassed by an SMG just about every time. It's a shame - I loved shotgun running in MW2.

Dual Mags is the best attachment ever. I typically run with Warlord Pro so that I can pair Dual Mags with a suppressor or a sight (and the extra grenade is pretty awesome too). It's like a light version of Scavenger and Sleight of Hand, all wrapped into one awesome attachment! I never leave home without it.

The killstreak balance seems really good in this game, aside from being disappointingly easy to take down a Gunship (a single person shouldn't be able to singlehandedly drop an 11-kill reward!). I've settled on Spy Plane/Napalm Strike/Chopper Gunner as my killstreak setup of choice; it might lack the knockout capability of the Blackbird/CG/Dogs combo, but it seems to be more reliable overall for me.

Overall, I love this game. I'm going to hold off on ranking it relative to other CoD games, simply because I haven't yet put in nearly the amount of time with this game that I have with MW2 or even W@W, but my initial reaction is very, very positive.

VaLiancY said:
A CoD game had a rough launch. =\

News at 11.

Only somwhat sarcastic there. I don't want to trivialize the troubles that the PC and PS3 gamers have been going through - it's a damn shame how broken this game was when it launched on those platforms.

Frillen said:
Late to the party, but they really nerfed the care package. I get ammo like 33% of the time.

It should happen 20% of the time. Care packages are only really worth it with Hardline Pro.

http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=2023&page=1#29471

hamchan

Bumblebeetuna said:
On 360 it is patched to where you can only revote for the previous map one time and then you must vote for the next map in the cycle or a random map. Is this not the case on PS3/PC?
PC is dedicated servers so it's up to whoever runs it to choose. Most servers I've joined rotate maps, a few 24/7 Nuketown servers though.

steadfast

Frillen said:
Late to the party, but they really nerfed the care package. I get ammo like 33% of the time.

Hardline Pro is the answer. I'm abusing the shit out of it until they patch it. I equip SAM, CP, and Sentry. I try to get my 5 kills, die, and hopefully respawn in a "safe" area and throw down all 3 markers. Ideally I get something nice out of each drop. Sometimes, though, a SAM crate rerolls to ammo and then my CP rerolls to a SAM :(

It's worth it though; I've gotten an SR-71, Rolling Thunder, and a Gunship out of one bundle. This is probably why it's getting patched.

-viper-

Banned
Is it me or is the commando-style leap still there for players who use lightweight?

I tend to get killed by a clear lunge from many players. The pistols in this weak have no stopping power at all. Nothing annoys me more than a cheap knife kill.

Frillen said:

Theyve actually done this!?? Im on Xbox and that wasnt part of the patch, but I am getting more ammo crates now. :(

Also Welcome back Division! Out of interest what was the ban for? I have to say that Claymores being useless and shotguns being nerfed are 2 things I think would be excellent. I still die to claymores too often though. :(

Has anyone been able to play ground war on PS3 successfully? So far every match has either had an error preventing the game from moving past the lobby or ended through a connection error during the match. I've tried somewhere around fifteen times over the past couple of days and I don't think I've been able to finish a single match yet.

steadfast said:
Hardline Pro is the answer. I'm abusing the shit out of it until they patch it. I equip SAM, CP, and Sentry. I try to get my 5 kills, die, and hopefully respawn in a "safe" area and throw down all 3 markers. Ideally I get something nice out of each drop. Sometimes, though, a SAM crate rerolls to ammo and then my CP rerolls to a SAM :(

It's worth it though; I've gotten an SR-71, Rolling Thunder, and a Gunship out of one bundle. This is probably why it's getting patched.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain I tried Hardline Pro + SAM and I couldn't reroll. I foolishly Prestiged so I might have tried it before I got Pro, hmm.

What platform do you play on?

steadfast

sw33tclyde said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain I tried Hardline Pro + SAM and I couldn't reroll. I foolishly Prestiged so I might have tried it before I got Pro, hmm.

What platform do you play on?

360. I was doing it all day yesterday.

todahawk

divisionbyzorro said:
So here are some quick, disjointed thoughts on the game so far:

I really like the perk balance. No perk seems to really dominate at any tier, with the exception perhaps of Hardline. My only perk complaint is that the pro perk challenges are all over the place in terms of difficulty, which is really annoying, although I find that most pro variations aren't particularly useful.

I'm still up in the air on the Ninja nerf. Sound whoring was excellent in MW2, and I find it somewhat annoying that you can't use it as effectively in Black Ops. The side effect of this is that Hacker has risen in value, which has made claymores decrease in value (which makes me sad).

The assault rifles seem to just get better and better as you level up! I'm currently in love with the AK47, but before that it was the AUG and before that it was the FAMAS. I'm almost up to the G11, which I know from picking it up a few times is ridiculously strong. Maybe I just started getting better at the game, but it really feels like the higher-level ARs are actually better than the lower level guns.

With few exceptions, I find the SMGs to be mostly useless. I like the AK74u, but the others just annoy me too much. AK74u + Grip + Rapid Fire, however... <3

I also find the LMGs to be mostly useless - except the MG40. I don't think a more satisfying gun has ever been in a COD game. CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA CHAKKA...

Shotguns are predictably bad. Why did they bother to make shotguns into primaries if they planned to nerf them so badly? The only halfway decent shotgun is the SPAS, and even that gets outclassed by an SMG just about every time. It's a shame - I loved shotgun running in MW2.

Dual Mags is the best attachment ever. I typically run with Warlord Pro so that I can pair Dual Mags with a suppressor or a sight (and the extra grenade is pretty awesome too). It's like a light version of Scavenger and Sleight of Hand, all wrapped into one awesome attachment! I never leave home without it.

The killstreak balance seems really good in this game, aside from being disappointingly easy to take down a Gunship (a single person shouldn't be able to singlehandedly drop an 11-kill reward!). I've settled on Spy Plane/Napalm Strike/Chopper Gunner as my killstreak setup of choice; it might lack the knockout capability of the Blackbird/CG/Dogs combo, but it seems to be more reliable overall for me.

Overall, I love this game. I'm going to hold off on ranking it relative to other CoD games, simply because I haven't yet put in nearly the amount of time with this game that I have with MW2 or even W@W, but my initial reaction is very, very positive.

News at 11.

Only somwhat sarcastic there. I don't want to trivialize the troubles that the PC and PS3 gamers have been going through - it's a damn shame how broken this game was when it launched on those platforms.

It should happen 20% of the time. Care packages are only really worth it with Hardline Pro.

http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=2023&page=1#29471

glad you're back!

Agree with you on SMG's, i only bother on the small maps and if I grab one off a body on a larger map, I make like I do with the shotties, stick to the edges of the maps, indoors and next to walls. The shotties have no range at all.

I'm bummed about the sniper rifles, they just don't feel useful at all, the maps aren't big enough to really accommodate them. I put the IR scope on the M14 and maybe i need more time with it but I was getting owned by AR guys.

i'll have to try dual mags, i've only messed with extended mags and mostly suppressors. I've been running a lot of hardline/SoH/Hacker so far, some ghost and spy plane/anti-spy/CP. I actually like the SAM turret for FFA & Dom, I've had tons of matches where my SAM will get 4 kills before they come looking for it (with me waiting to nail them).

steadfast

greenjerk said:
i'll have to try dual mags, i've only messed with extended mags and mostly suppressors. I've been running a lot of hardline/SoH/Hacker so far...

I only tried dual mags because a contract came up for it. Let me tell you, the first time I reloaded with SoH and dual mags, I giggled for a good 10-15 seconds. It's comically fast and is fun to watch in addition to being really useful.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Ballistik said:
Funny glitch when it shows the enemy RC-XD going around the map in your radar as a jet. :lol

Oh man, so that's what that was! I was speculating why the Napalm Strike alluvasudden turned into Harriers on a few games. It looks goofy as hell on the minimap.

kamspy

Any PC gamers noticed after the patch you can no longer access the dev console in SP even if you enable it in the config?

Sucks for me. I had the drawFPS command on and I had to go dig through the config to turn it off.

Really burns my ass that they'd do that.

The head of Xbox Live's Policy and Enforcement, Stephen "Stepto" Toulouse, addressed today that anyone who gets reported for having a swastika icon on Black Ops will receive a permanent ban from Xbox Live with no warnings.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
AnEternalEnigma said:
The head of Xbox Live's Policy and Enforcement, Stephen "Stepto" Toulouse, addressed today that anyone who gets reported for having a swastika icon on Black Ops will receive a permanent ban from Xbox Live with no warnings.

I can't even count how many I've reported through the Blops system. I seriously applaud MS for this no tolerance approach.

todahawk

steadfast said:
I only tried dual mags because a contract came up for it. Let me tell you, the first time I reloaded with SoH and dual mags, I giggled for a good 10-15 seconds. It's comically fast and is fun to watch in addition to being really useful.

shit, didn't even think of combining the two! I'll have to try that out tonight.

Top Bottom