• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Chavelo

Just picked up the game yesterday... Such an improvement from PC MW2! There's so much stuff to unlock and mess with, and I'm in love with Treyarch with what they did for the PC version (Servers? The hell is this?)... Good stuff!

Just waiting to get my new video card and overclock my CPU a bit to get the game looking more awesome.

I just fear that Activision is gonna use the COD point system against us in the next COD game or something...

"Launch Special: 10000 COD Points for 20 dollars!"

Anyways, if any of you play on Steam, gimme a shout or something... Kinda sucks that everyone I play with is on the Cataclysm crazy train at the moment (will get on it too but just trying to lay off leveling my pally :-/)

Steam ID - Chavelo

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Anyone else feel like they're trolling the other team by going Ghost Pro with a Strela 3?

Nothing like shooting down those choppers before they even get to kill someone!

aku:jiki said:
Just realized something that's AWESOME! It's a tiny little thing that most of us experience but don't think about -- when you switch the game to boot to MP, it skips all the company logos and shit! It just goes immediately to your MP menu. :D

Like I said, tiny thing, but it's just a nice little bonus to shave 30+ seconds off my boot every time. Plus it gives me NES nostalgia -- just power up and you can press start to play within a few seconds. :D
can you do this on ps3?

Nizz

Najaf said:
Beware of the 10k wager matches

Today is the second time I have lost the connection and not received a refund for the match.

Players are able to create this failure purposely it seems because both matches have disconnected with seconds to spare. Today I was sitting comfortably in second place in sticks and stones as the clock hit ten seconds left. With 2 seconds and some change a majority of us get kicked back to the lobby. It has been several hours and I have yet to see a refund.

The last time this happened it was in the final seconds of a Gun Game. That was several days ago and I never received a refund for that either. I am personally not going to be playing any more 10k buy-ins until this is addressed officially.
What do you play on? 360, PS3 or PC? I usually jump into the lower bracket wager matches. It's only 10 COD points, sometimes doubled down to 20. Thanks for the heads up though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
WingsofRedemption made a video that settles the red dot vs reflex debate (that hasn't really been going on at GAF at all :lol); reflex is bigger and uglier but it's got faster ADS and less recoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMrGDYIS_k

Guess it's time to permanently dump the RDS and never use it again?
I just figured it was this game's version of the holographic sight, although I can't actually remember what the difference between RDS and holographic was in MW2, aside from the actual dot being smaller on the RDS. I liked how the holographic felt, though, and so far I like how the reflex feels.

.nimrod

Is anybody else on PS3 having a lot of problems getting anything above a 2 bar right now?

WingsofRedemption made a video that settles the red dot vs reflex debate (that hasn't really been going on at GAF at all :lol); reflex is bigger and uglier but it's got faster ADS and less recoil.

Who needs those anyway? oO
They just waste an attachment slot since all the iron sights are pretty easy to use, the only scope i bought was the variable zoom for the L96.

Also, most weapons look hideous with a reddot/reflex sight :p

snap0212

NightHawk17 said:
wow that's low:(
Yeah, Treyarch don't care. Why would anyone even mention their World at War support here? They've never patched the game breaking bug that forces you to buy their DLC if you want to play online.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
.nimrod said:
Is anybody else on PS3 having a lot of problems getting anything above a 2 bar right now?

Who needs those anyway? oO
They just waste an attachment slot since all the iron sights are pretty easy to use, the only scope i bought was the variable zoom for the L96.

Also, most weapons look hideous with a reddot/reflex sight :p
I can see why some people would feel that way, but I just feel like I play slightly better with a reticle. Plus I don't like suppressed fire, so the only other attachment I tend to use is a grip, if the gun needs one.

RS4-

Maybe it's just me but with ADS iron, it gets a little blurry, not exactly noticeable but it's just enough. Then again, it probably has something to do with my graphics settings.

I don't even know why I spent 50k for that prestige leaderboard, talk about a waste of money :lol

I'm not a fan of the G11, it feels like a shittier M16 and the scope isn't all too useful.

vatstep said:
I would much rather deal with a handful of glitches that were not nearly as widespread as most people made them out to be than slow-as-fuck matchmaking, pervasive lag that makes many one-on-one encounters a crapshoot, and atrocious spawns. These issues affect pretty much everyone, but it doesn't make them any less frustrating. With the glitches, you knew that they were an easy fix; but with these networking issues, even though Treyarch's intentions are good, you have to wonder how long it'll take for them to get the game running optimally for everyone as it should.

Javlindom
Care Package Glitch
Public/Private Boosting Rust games
Infinite Launcher Ammo/Grenades games
Akimbo Model 1887 Shotgun
Knife Runners

And that was within the first month or so of MW2's release, and mostly all of these exploits hit around the same time. Black Ops has NOTHING like that running.

purple cobra said:
Sad but true. :(
I wish it was true...well, as a 360 player but it isn't. BO on 360 is sloppy too. As sloppy as the other platforms? I can't tell you, but the lag is awful (got commandoed from 10 feet the other day...but wait, I thought they removed commando!), the framerate jumps from 20ish to 40ish and matchmaking is still borked.

Gotta love how defenders are still constantly pointing at mw2 as if it's ok that this game is borked because it's not AS borked as the previous game...ya know, the game that actually took risks and had issues because of it. What's this game's excuse exactly? Is it the upgraded engine? The new systems and classes? The new and interesting weapons and concepts? No. You make a super safe uninteresting sequel so that shit like this game's (and mw2's) release doesn't happen.

Dresden

Lonewolf_92 said:
Javlindom
Care Package Glitch
Public/Private Boosting Rust games
Infinite Launcher Ammo/Grenades games
Akimbo Model 1887 Shotgun
Knife Runners

And that was within the first month or so of MW2's release, and mostly all of these exploits hit around the same time. Black Ops has NOTHING like that running.
Those were balance issues, not exploits. :lol

Lunchbox said:
yes the gun that shoots twice as fast and twice as much damage is the same as the m16, right. have you even played this game? the famas is a piece of garbage in this game long range, its more like a smg. the tight spread combined with the fast burst of the g11 means the m16 will always lose no matter what you do. its a mini sniper. in close quarters if you have steady aim it beats the ak74.

one gun that breaks all classes is broken in a class based shooter where different weapons are supposed to do different things.

Did you even read my post? I wasn't talking about the M16 or Famas in Black Ops. I was comparing the G11 to the M16 (MW) and M16 / Famas (MW2). I don't think the G11 is ridiculously better than either of those guns. So yeah, the G11 isn't broken compared to the best guns in the last few CoDs, so I really don't get what the complaining is all about. Not all of the guns are going to be equal, and there are a ton of other guns in Black Ops that you can compete just fine with. You aren't forced to use the G11 for a second.

Btw, the M16 is still really good in this game. I've been using it until I get the G11 and do just as well with it

BIVIANO!

SmokeMaxX said:
I think everyone should pay attention to how the game treats lag. All in all, Black Ops makes everything feel much smoother than it is. I had a red bar for one entire game and the game was SUPER smooth. It was only after I died or tried to shoot at someone that I realized there was lag. So I think they changed the way Black Ops interprets lag and instead of making the client choppy for a laggy player, it makes it smooth on their screen, but their game is a few seconds behind other people's games.
Your red bar was not red enough. I average 1 to 2 bars on the 360 and the game can get extremely choppy. If I play during peak hours I'm fighting my on screen movement as much as trying to kill the other team.

Dresden said:
Those were balance issues, not exploits. :lol
No.

The first one you bolded literally happened. I got into tons of matches for about two weeks with infinite GL, RPG, THUMPER, Grenades, etc. You didn't have to reload or anything. Shit was like explosive diarrhea.

Jrmint

I honestly think the reflex looks cooler on the guns. I like how it keeps the camo on it and stuff. By the way, what camo is he using?

------

So I just reached 50. What all do I keep when I prestige?

I'm assuming only the playcard emblems and callsigns?

steadfast

wienke said:
Anyone else feel like they're trolling the other team by going Ghost Pro with a Strela 3?

Nothing like shooting down those choppers before they even get to kill someone!

Yeah, I always get a smile on my face thinking some kid FINALLY got a gunship or a doorgunner and is getting excited as it rolls in. Then KABLAM!

I get a lot of XP per match blowing shit up.

Now if they would just put in Doggie Treat tactical grenades, I'd be happy

Mileena

Banned
snap0212 said:
Nope. It's a 360 exclusive feature. Just like multiple profiles, a steady frame rate, and lag-free online.
Seriously implying that 360 online is lag free? It's P2P :lol :lol

Oh so silly Xbot.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
Did you even read my post? I wasn't talking about the M16 or Famas in Black Ops. I was comparing the G11 to the M16 (MW) and M16 / Famas (MW2). I don't think the G11 is ridiculously better than either of those guns. And yeah, the M16 is still really good in this game. I've been using it until I get the G11 at L44 and do just as well with it. The G11 is broken compared to the best guns in the last few CoDs, so I really don't get what the complaining is all about. Not all of the guns are going to be equal, and there are a ton of other guns in Black Ops that you can compete just fine with. You aren't forced to use the G11 for a second.

G11 is far more broken than any other AR in COD and easily so. They nerfed everything BUT that gun, so it makes it seem even more powerful... As Lunchbox has already had to say 2 times and really shouldn't have to say for a third.
It has 5 less damage than the m16 (which means NOTHING) and has a much higher rate of fire.

And the M16/Famas wasn't any more deadly than the Tar or Scar. In BO, all the guns are like the F2000 and there's only 1 m16/Famas/Tar/Scar left in the game. What makes things worse is that statistically, the G11 would beat our any of those guns in MW2.
ANd what makes it completely stupid is that it's the last AR you can get so the game isn't fair. You need to be level 44 or something to get it.

snap0212 said:
Nope. It's a 360 exclusive feature. Just like multiple profiles, a steady frame rate, and lag-free online.

blazing_Saddles_560-thumb-560xauto-30101.jpg

Mileena

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
In BO, all the guns are like the F2000 and there's only 1 m16/Famas/Tar/Scar left in the game. What makes things worse is that statistically, the G11 would beat our any of those guns in MW2.
ANd what makes it completely stupid is that it's the last AR you can get so the game isn't fair. You need to be level 44 or something to get it.
Are you high? The M16, Galil, AK and AUG are all great guns. The G11 isn't really "better" than any of those.

Chrange

Banned
steadfast said:
Yeah, I always get a smile on my face thinking some kid FINALLY got a gunship or a doorgunner and is getting excited as it rolls in. Then KABLAM!

I get a lot of XP per match blowing shit up.

Now if they would just put in Doggie Treat tactical grenades, I'd be happy

I only really laugh when I blow up the helicopter before it drops off a sentry gun or care package.

Effect said:
I've been wondering, is gameplay on the PC (especially multiplayer) slower compare to the consoles? I mean it would take a bit more time I assume to use the different keys on the keyboard even if you remapped them to be within reach of one hand. Is is that just not the case at all?
......WOW! :lol

corkscrewblow said:
Are you high? The M16, Galil, AK and AUG are all great guns. The G11 isn't really "better" than any of those.
Who the hell says "Are you high?"
The G11 is clearly better than all of those guns in short mid and long range combat. It's rate of fire is comparable to the automatic weapons with less recoil than the semi-automatic ars and a faster return speed than any AR, which means it pretty much has no recoil and yet is as powerful as any other gun in the game. I'll say this again because most of the regulars in this thread are rather thick - the G11 is statistically a better gun than any of the super deadly Ars of MW2 and the M16 of COD4 thanks to its rate of fire and the fact that it too has no real recoil thanks to its crazy return rate. It'll bounce but move right back in place by the time the next burst comes out.

The Ak47 and Galil are the same gun btw.

Just to prove I'm not "high"

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Welp, I'm never playing Zombies on Five again. A couple of guys just glitched up on top of the main table to a point where no zombies could ever touch them and just sat there. They could inch out and grab max ammo when they needed it. I don't see how that could possibly be fun. I was the host so it ended the game for them when I left. :lol

Belfast

Effect said:
I've been wondering, is gameplay on the PC (especially multiplayer) slower compare to the consoles? I mean it would take a bit more time I assume to use the different keys on the keyboard even if you remapped them to be within reach of one hand. Is is that just not the case at all?

Joke post?

Gameplay is much faster on the PC.

NameGenerated said:
Welp, I'm never playing Zombies on Five again. A couple of guys just glitched up on top of the main table to a point where no zombies could ever touch them and just sat there. They could inch out and grab max ammo when they needed it. I don't see how that could possibly be fun. I was the host so it ended the game for them when I left. :lol

Everybody is doing that now. I persoannly watched people that did it all the way to wave 50. It was boring as hell and stupid. I'm bad at zombies, I think my personal best with three guys is like wave 16.

Mileena

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Who the hell says "Are you high?"
The G11 is clearly better than all of those guns in short mid and long range combat. It's rate of fire is comparable to the automatic weapons with less recoil than the semi-automatic ars and a faster return speed than any AR, which means it pretty much has no recoil and yet is as powerful as any other gun in the game. I'll say this again because most of the regulars in this thread are rather thick - the G11 is statistically a better gun than any of the super deadly Ars of MW2 and the M16 of COD4 thanks to its rate of fire and the fact that it too has no real recoil thanks to its crazy return rate. It'll bounce but move right back in place by the time the next burst comes out.

The Ak47 and Galil are the same gun btw.

Just to prove I'm not "high"
Right I forgot... stats mean everything! Continue on bitching about the game and I'll continue on shitting on kids with the Galil and AK.

snap0212

corkscrewblow said:
Seriously implying that 360 online is lag free? It's P2P :lol :lol

Oh so silly Xbot.
I'm actually more of a PS3 guy. ;-) But yeah, I shouldn't have said "lag-free". The thing is: I haven't heard a lot of Xbox people bitching about lag problems, but have experienced huge lag on the PS3 version. Hell, I'd be more than happy if Treyarch would just patch the missing stuff in, fix the frame rate problems and find a solution to cut the lag a bit. They should at least tell us if they're ever going to fix the problems. At least some of them.

Jrmint

corkscrewblow said:
Right I forgot... stats mean everything! Continue on bitching about the game and I'll continue on shitting on kids with the Galil and AK.
Exactly. If you're complaining about guns you most likely are garbage.

Watch any of these pros videos from Hutch, to WingsofRedemption, to anyone, and they use all kinds of different guns.

I've actually had the best results with the AUG personally, as I really dislike burst fire weapons.

VaLiancY

I never liked the idea of a melee being a one a hit kill unless it's like a back stab(TF2 Spy) or Halo when you have the jump on a person or that pneumatic gun from one of the UT games( :lol)

iam220

corkscrewblow said:

It's a video game, so yes, stats mean everything. As all the guns are represented by numbers. The Ak and Galil do differ in recoil though, which goes a long way in determining a guns 'feel'.

corkscrewblow said:

Stats do mean everything when it comes to balancing something. Nice counterpoint though. G11 is clearly superior. Conversation over. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't kill people with another gun, but I shouldn't have to say something so obvious.

And you call people "kids" too. Nice. Why do I respond to people like this?

^Ak47 and Galil have the exact same recoil. It's all a little random though, but that's the case for all guns. Check out the chart that I linked.

Mileena

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Stats do mean everything when it comes to balancing something. Nice counterpoint though. G11 is clearly superior. Conversation over. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't kill people with another gun, but I shouldn't have to say something so obvious.

And you call people "kids" too. Nice. Why do I respond to people like this?

^Ak47 and Galil have the exact same recoil. It's all a little random though, but that's the case for all guns. Check out the chart that I linked.
azO2k.jpg

snap0212 said:
Yeah, Treyarch don't care. Why would anyone even mention their World at War support here? They've never patched the game breaking bug that forces you to buy their DLC if you want to play online.

lol, I played tons of WaW on PS3 to prep for Black Ops and I played just fine with all my DLC for the game residing on my 360. Also, it's been a couple weeks since release. Patches take time. This is just one more area Treyarch obliterates IW in.

Top Bottom