• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

aku:jiki

Just played a very painful match on WMD, one of the matches where I'm at a slight ping disadvantage and that means the sniping just goes to complete shit. Had a perfect situation that illustrates why sniping really sucks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtRdHzsxmx8

It's fair that he got me to begin with, but the shit after that?! First of all, I spawn in his crosshairs and he's firing at me before I even know where I am! Second of all, the quality sort of obscures them but I get TWO upper chest hitmarkers in this clip. Not to mention that 90% of the shots I take are on target, but don't register.

I should get on Twitter and send this clip to JD2020 and Vonderhaar...

snap0212

aku:jiki said:
Just played a very painful match on WMD, one of the matches where I'm at a slight ping disadvantage and that means the sniping just goes to complete shit. Had a perfect situation that illustrates why sniping really sucks:

It's fair that he got me to begin with, but the shit after that?! First of all, I spawn in his crosshairs and he's firing at me before I even know where I am! Second of all, the quality sort of obscures them but I get TWO upper chest hitmarkers in this clip. Not to mention that 90% of the shots I take are on target, but don't register.

How do you get the video to work that well? I always have sound problems. :( Probably another thing that's broken in the PS3 version, right?

Are you sure you didn't hit him through the metal grill?

buy teh haloz said:
Are you sure you didn't hit him through the metal grill?
They are through the grill, but I hit him twice! That should be enough for a bolt action through a very thin surface, not counting all the times I do hit but don't get a marker.

I've got another clip from the same match where I captured the hit detection spazzing out; I have to hit air with the sniper to do damage, but the Pythons function normally... Could be just lag but I'm guessing that clip is the result of that shit with the bullets not always hitting where you aim. This time it meant my miss turned into a hit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mUX0kaMxc

The clip where I noscope nothing but air is just theater being weird, he was on screen when I played.

B-Genius said:
dealwithit.gif

... Sorry, I've always wanted to do that.
Snatched!

They are through the grill, but I hit him twice! That should be enough for a bolt action through a very thin surface, not counting all the times I do hit but don't get a marker.

I've got another clip from the same match where I captured the hit detection spazzing out; I have to hit air with the sniper to do damage, but the Pythons function normally... Could be just lag but I'm guessing that clip is the result of that shit with the bullets not always hitting where you aim. This time it meant my miss turned into a hit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mUX0kaMxc

The clip where I noscope nothing but air is just theater being weird, he was on screen when I played.
Well, he had enough time to regenerate his health between shots I think. I have to admit though, some of those missed shots definitely should have hit.

Just realized something that's AWESOME! It's a tiny little thing that most of us experience but don't think about -- when you switch the game to boot to MP, it skips all the company logos and shit! It just goes immediately to your MP menu. :D

Like I said, tiny thing, but it's just a nice little bonus to shave 30+ seconds off my boot every time. Plus it gives me NES nostalgia -- just power up and you can press start to play within a few seconds. :D

How do you boot into MP on the 360? I mustve missed this since I haven't been keeping up with the thread.

LordAlu

Lionheart1827 said:
How do you boot into MP on the 360? I mustve missed this since I haven't been keeping up with the thread.
When you get into multiplayer, go to options and it should be the bottom option.

buy teh haloz said:
Well, he had enough time to regenerate his health between shots I think.

That's what I assumed as well, not to mention he is shooting him through something. Also, karma for camping his ass off and ignoring objectives in Demo.

You missed nearly every shot except for three or four of them. For some idiotic reason, it takes tons of bullets to get through a metal grate like he was standing on. It's not just the bad connection that was doing it. Even with an assault rifle, you have to fire nearly two clips through a grate to kill someone.

Dyno

I don't want to like this disc as much as I do. The MP is really quite a mess sometimes with not-so-good maps and the worst spawn system I have ever seen.

That said I unlocked Dead Ops Arcade, which is quite fun, and when my wife saw that we have Zork on a console she squealed in delight.

butts

On Hanoi, there is a metal handrail on a walkway overlooking that spotlight area between flags A and C that is completely bulletproof. I found that out the hard way :(

Lunchbox

Banned
fucking g11 is so broken

kids kept sending me messages about how i was cheating for using it.........and i agree with them. using that unbalanced gun is cheating. i apologized and removed that class

wv8aj.jpg

Seep

People playing demolition like it's team death match Fuck you and arm that bomb that you've just ran past knob head.

k/d whores go and Fuck yourselves.

Seep said:
People playing demolition like it's team death match Fuck you and arm that bomb that you've just ran past knob head.

I can't count the number of times I've dropped a napalm or cleared out a a few guys near a bomb, only to find no one going for the arms. Sickens me it does.

Flamethrower is hilarious. :lol

I don't tend to stay alive long enough regularly for the only 2 rounds of ammo thing to annoy me lol. Love finding a bunch of guys and burning everything to ash.

Vormund

MarshMellow96 said:
I can't count the number of times I've dropped a napalm or cleared out a a few guys near a bomb, only to find no one going for the arms. Sickens me it does.

That's the problem with tracking kdr's. Usually I'd go in and never get any backup. Oh Noe don't want to mess up my kdr

LordAlu

LordPhoque said:
I'm still having some stuttering on the PC version, and also a lot of audio issues (freezes, bugs...)
Treyarch sold me a beta version.
Since the new patch, my flatmate's PC copy freezes after a minute or two of multiplayer. Every time, guaranteed. It's driving him insane.
Weirdly, botmatch works perfectly, so he's taken to playing that to look for good spots and get used to the weapons.

Seep said:

This is where I would love to see points for killing in the team based games, going to 0. but then you get a shit load of points for capping flags.

Vormund said:
That's the problem with tracking kdr's. Usually I'd go in and never get any backup. Oh Noe don't want to mess up my kdr

That's the dumb thing about it though - you probably get more kills by doing what you're supposed to do. The crux of this game is that you get back what you put in. It's part of the reason why I think care packages are a total waste of time. Why sit around for 20 seconds for something that might be good when you could be out earning that shit?

If you play demolition, you score big if you do what you're supposed to do. If you're defending, you're going to get a lot of kills and a few diffuses. If you're the bomber, similarly, you're going to get a big points bonus.

Seep

MarshMellow96 said:
That's the dumb thing about it though - you probably get more kills by doing what you're supposed to do. The crux of this game is that you get back what you put in. It's part of the reason why I think care packages are a total waste of time. Why sit around for 20 seconds for something that might be good when you could be out earning that shit?

If you play demolition, you score big if you do what you're supposed to do. If you're defending, you're going to get a lot of kills and a few diffuses. If you're the bomber, similarly, you're going to get a big points bonus.
Yup I got 3 plants and about 5 defuse my kills were a lot lower than my deaths and I got about 21.000 for a match. k/d should just be gotten rid of who cares about it seriously?

Raiden

Banned
Lunchbox said:
fucking g11 is so broken

kids kept sending me messages about how i was cheating for using it.........and i agree with them. using that unbalanced gun is cheating. i apologized and removed that class

wv8aj.jpg

Haha sure you did.

But if you did, props to you.

Diablohead said:
The sniper rifles are so gimped in black ops there is no point using them, a body shot with the bolt action seems to not always kill and in the time it takes to reload the chamber someone with an SMG with grip will just snipe me with two burst shots, balance how does it work!?

I think some of you need to realise that black ops just isn't worth sticking with, it was a fun entertaining game for the first few days but it has so many tiny holes they all add up, and it's a shame.

If someone is happy with it then more power to 'em. I still find the game fun and no it's not perfect but it's still got more going for it than the other FPS' out there.

Dyno

zero margin said:
If someone is happy with it then more power to 'em. I still find the game fun and no it's not perfect but it's still got more going for it than the other FPS' out there.

I'm surprised that COD has become such a twitch-fest myself!

Anyone feeling as much love for the nova gas as I? It's like a semi-smoke, a stun and some damage all in one!

The only drawback is that it covers a very tiny area, but I've started tossing it "the other way" whenever I'm in doubt and need to make a path choice, or at doorways if I'm running away from someone.

Great tactical grenade, I now have it on all my classes and don't think I can stop. :lol

Diablohead said:
I find it funny that the top 4 on the blue team have sub par ping also.
Ping is so random in CoD though. Sometimes you destroy fools on 2 bars, other times you get raped and pillaged on 4 bars. And it's like never because of the opposition's skill!

Lackmus

Banned
It has gone almost 2 weeks now science release and I still can't play the game...

Never ever gonna buy a Treyarch game at release any more that's for sure.

It's funny how matches will only lend themselves to a certain type of clip for me. I just had a match that was apparently mostly funny, so I made these two clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLF3_5IiDqU
Check out the dude celebrating like it's christmas. This one just needs to be longer and have some Benny Hill music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQjMPTc8ddk
Wee, triple kill, killstreak, protecting the bomb, at least half my team is rushing the plant! Winning this one for sure! Then boom, dude bumps into something with his RC, accidently sees me who is apparently the only person who cares about the bomb as my team just rushes past the bomb and we lose. :lol

Effect

I've been wondering, is gameplay on the PC (especially multiplayer) slower compare to the consoles? I mean it would take a bit more time I assume to use the different keys on the keyboard even if you remapped them to be within reach of one hand. Is is that just not the case at all?

It's funny how matches will only lend themselves to a certain type of clip for me. I just had a match that was apparently mostly funny, so I made these two clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLF3_5IiDqU
Check out the dude celebrating like it's christmas. This one just needs to be longer and have some Benny Hill music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQjMPTc8ddk
Wee, triple kill, killstreak, protecting the bomb, at least half my team is rushing the plant! Winning this one for sure! Then boom, dude bumps into something with his RC, accidently sees me who is apparently the only person who cares about the bomb as my team just rushes past the bomb and we lose. :lol
:lol at the first video. Why did you have to rain on his parade? :(

Set my search to (Locale) for the first time and had the worst matches I'ver ever had. It stayed on three bars all night for every match. People were killing me in what seemed like two shots on my screen and I would have to pump a clip into them.

Set it back to (Default) everything seems better.

???

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Effect said:
I've been wondering, is gameplay on the PC (especially multiplayer) slower compare to the consoles? I mean it would take a bit more time I assume to use the different keys on the keyboard even if you remapped them to be within reach of one hand. Is is that just not the case at all?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

iam220

Ping is so random in CoD though. Sometimes you destroy fools on 2 bars, other times you get raped and pillaged on 4 bars. And it's like never because of the opposition's skill!

Woah, that just gave me a flashback to 1999.

Lunchbox said:
fucking g11 is so broken

wv8aj.jpg

Why apologize? If that's how the gun is use it and enjoy it. who cares what other people think. They will just have to learn how to counter that class you have setup.

LordAlu

Lackmus said:
It has gone almost 2 weeks now science release and I still can't play the game...

Never ever gonna buy a Treyarch game at release any more that's for sure.
Everything's better... with science! /poorjoke

This game seems so random to me. I almost always have a four bar connection (20Mbit connection) and sometimes i'll have a great run (got my first two Huey's today), and then recently this afternoon nothing has gone well at all. I shot one guy and got the hit marker on him five times, and he turned around and one shotted me, but on the kill cam he was facing me before a bullet even came from my gun!

Got the pad on quick charge so gonna take a break for a while, hopefully a bit of a rest will help before the evening session :)

Lunchbox said:
fucking g11 is so broken

http://imgur.com/wv8aj.jpg

Congrats or something? You have just scored 1 billion internet bragging points... Don't spend them all in one place.

G11 is the best gun in the game IMO, but I hardly think it's broken. It is no worse than the M16 in MW, or the M16 / Famas in MW2. Only thing I think would break it is if they allowed the red dot on it... Not that the iron sight is bad (it's great), but that would push the G11 over the top.

Lunchbox

Banned
Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
Congrats or something? You have just scored 1 billion internet bragging points... Don't spend them all in one place.

G11 is the best gun in the game IMO, but I hardly think it's broken. It is no worse than the M16 in MW, or the M16 / Famas in MW2. Only thing I think would break it is if they allowed the red dot on it... Not that the iron sight is bad (it's great), but that would push the G11 over the top.

yes the gun that shoots twice as fast and twice as much damage is the same as the m16, right. have you even played this game? the famas is a piece of garbage in this game long range, its more like a smg. the tight spread combined with the fast burst of the g11 means the m16 will always lose no matter what you do. its a mini sniper. in close quarters if you have steady aim it beats the ak74.

one gun that breaks all classes is broken in a class based shooter where different weapons are supposed to do different things.

scoobs

so... I haven't really been following PC bugs but am I the only one thats game freezes and i have to CTRL+ALT+DELETE my way out of it about once a session?

Dresden

Anyone feeling as much love for the nova gas as I? It's like a semi-smoke, a stun and some damage all in one!

The only drawback is that it covers a very tiny area, but I've started tossing it "the other way" whenever I'm in doubt and need to make a path choice, or at doorways if I'm running away from someone.

Great tactical grenade, I now have it on all my classes and don't think I can stop. :lol
I have a ScavPro-WarPro-Tactical Mask class just for it. It's addictive and Nova Gas kills are always fun.

Najaf

Beware of the 10k wager matches

Today is the second time I have lost the connection and not received a refund for the match.

Players are able to create this failure purposely it seems because both matches have disconnected with seconds to spare. Today I was sitting comfortably in second place in sticks and stones as the clock hit ten seconds left. With 2 seconds and some change a majority of us get kicked back to the lobby. It has been several hours and I have yet to see a refund.

The last time this happened it was in the final seconds of a Gun Game. That was several days ago and I never received a refund for that either. I am personally not going to be playing any more 10k buy-ins until this is addressed officially.

Top Bottom