• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

MDavis360 said:
So two weeks into the game, with a ton of time put into the game I think I can put the maps into these categories:

LOVE:
Grid
Summit
Radiation
Cracked

HATE:
Nuketown
Jungle
Havana
WMD

The only map I truly loathe is Nuketown. At least for 6 on 6 games. (It's fine for wager matches though) I will leave the lobby if people vote for that one.

My favorite maps so far are probably

Array
Firing Range
Radiation
Grid

snap0212

Stoney Mason said:
The conversation is explained very well here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJG0hrut7Bo
This is a great discussion and the brought up a couple of points I'd agree with, but I think they're wrong about one thing: For a lot of people quickscoping is a playstyle. They kind of make it look like even the best players out there usually have no chance against a (good) player who is using a regular machine gun, which is definitely not true. Especially not in "Modern Warfare 2" where the zoom-in animation was so short that the zooming-in time is basically not a disadvantage. You could fire a shot almost as fast as someone with a regular gun. If you're a skilled player who knows how to aim properly (with a sniper rifle), you'll be more like a shotgun than anything else. One hit, one kill.
There are also a lot of players out there who are pretty much always "good" with a sniper rifle. For example: Once you know how to do a 360 no-scope and have memorized how to do it properly you can do it in basically every match. Sure, there are players out there who only go for the 360°/720° kills, but those usually finish with a k/d of about 0.25. They play Domination, because you can predict the spawns and are doing nothing for the Team, but everything just to get one single nice kill. The thing is; you don't have do ruin sniping completely do get rid of these people.

Does anyone else find Array comes up very infrequently? It's the only one (maybe Jungle too) that I haven't really been able to learn yet because I hardly ever see it.

Stoney Mason said:
The only map I truly loathe is Nuketown. At least for 6 on 6 games. (It's fine for wager matches though) I will leave the lobby if people vote for that one.

My favorite maps so far are probably

Array
Firing Range
Radiation
Grid

I agree, nuketown is dumb. I also agree with the guy that suggested treyarch just open up the ENTIRE town as the map instead of that small portion. There is plenty of space that is wasted.

I usually have my best games on Array and Firing Range, great maps there. I wish there was a level similar to Favela from mw2. That map was so much fun if you had a spas rush class.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ThirstyFly said:
Does anyone else find Array comes up very infrequently? It's the only one (maybe Jungle too) that I haven't really been able to learn yet because I hardly ever see it.

I don't see it much and that sucks because it is my favorite map. I usually do rather well on it.

AndresON777 said:
I don't see it much and that sucks because it is my favorite map. I usually do rather well on it.

I think I had my first Domination game on it either yesterday or the day before and I had no idea where to find the friggin' flags. I was talking to my buddy on the mic trying to get a plan going and I kept having to say things like "I somehow ended up in an underground tunnel and I have no idea where I am" whenever he was calling for help to take a flag :(

Finished my veteran run through last night. It actually wasn't as bad as some people on here made it out to be. There were a few parts that were a pain but I didn't get stuck on anything past 10 minutes or so. Unlike MW2, which I forced myself to finish on Veteran though it was easy, I actually enjoyed playing Blops on Veteran and wanted to keep playing. That doesn't usually happen with a CoD game, so bravo 3arc.

So I picked up a RPK LMG off some dude I killed and it had a Drum Mag attached. I don't use it normally, but I thought it would be pretty good for the way one of my friends that's just learning likes to play thanks to the large mag, but when I went to add it to a class to try, I only saw Extended Mags and Dual Mags. Are one of those actually shown as Drum Mag in-game, or am I missing something here?

GeekyDad

Man, I know it's annoying when people use objective-based games to earn kills, but there's nothing more frustrating than when someone sucks at it. Had some idiot running around with the flag last night, obviously trying to attract players and land kills. Instead, he ended up feeding the other team. Oh, ffs!

snap0212 said:
This is a great discussion and the brought up a couple of points I'd agree with, but I think they're wrong about one thing: For a lot of people quickscoping is a playstyle. They kind of make it look like even the best players out there usually have no chance against a (good) player who is using a regular machine gun, which is definitely not true. Especially not in "Modern Warfare 2" where the zoom-in animation was so short that the zooming-in time is basically not a disadvantage. You could fire a shot almost as fast as someone with a regular gun. If you're a skilled player who knows how to aim properly (with a sniper rifle), you'll be more like a shotgun than anything else. One hit, one kill.
There are also a lot of players out there who are pretty much always "good" with a sniper rifle. For example: Once you know how to do a 360 no-scope and have memorized how to do it properly you can do it in basically every match. Sure, there are players out there who only go for the 360°/720° kills, but those usually finish with a k/d of about 0.25. They play Domination, because you can predict the spawns and are doing nothing for the Team, but everything just to get one single nice kill. The thing is; you don't have do ruin sniping completely do get rid of these people.

As I mentioned yesterday I think they sort of over-reacted to the sniping in MW 2 and instead of just sticking with smart natural changes to reduce the effectiveness (like no sleight of hand) they went overboard and in the process broke sniping for a majority of players. Especially non-quick scopers because actual quick scopers are good enough players that they will be better at any system anyway. The reality is you can quickscope in most videogames. It's a nature of how an aiming system works. Now there are a lot of ways to tweak it if you want to make it harder but I don't like the random off set idea when you scope in as a method of addressing it.

There is a thread up over in their forums even though I tend to think the official forums for any game are terrible.

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=338961&sid=62ge4ra0j33a6gakamjvnvdgi4

Lionheart1827 said:
I wish there was a level similar to Favela from mw2. That map was so much fun if you had a spas rush class.

That map was really great in general. Just a really dense and clever multi-level map but one that still had great long sight lines. One of my favorites from MW 2.

ThirstyFly said:
So I picked up a RPK LMG off some dude I killed and it had a Drum Mag attached. I don't use it normally, but I thought it would be pretty good for the way one of my friends that's just learning likes to play thanks to the large mag, but when I went to add it to a class to try, I only saw Extended Mags and Dual Mags. Are one of those actually shown as Drum Mag in-game, or am I missing something here?
Choosing Extended Mags will give the RPK a Drum Magazine. It works more or less the same as any extended mag attachment.

buy teh haloz said:
Choosing Extended Mags will give the RPK a Drum Magazine. It works more or less the same as any extended mag attachment.

Great, thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to suggest that gun to my friend, I think it'll help him considering the way he plays.

aku:jiki

Wow, the game just will not relent and let me have a decent game today... So incredibly frustrating. I've tried to play like 10 matches at different times during the day and every single time I have to be on the team that gets so fucking destroyed, they should have a special equipment slot for a rape whistle. Holy crap am I ever sick of joining matches where I manage to sneak free from the horrible spawn trap my shitty team is allowing, plant a bomb and get zero fucking support from my team. :(

Frillen

Why do people use the RX-Car instead of the Spy Plane? I don't know even where to start when it comes to why a spy plane is better.

I think Im done playing nightly, the charm has worn off for me sadly.

This always happens when I play twitch based K/D ratio shooters sadly. At first Im in love zipping around then it becomes boring playing the same maps over in over really fast, gun fights in the same area as while as camping, and oh course 90% of the community using the exact same build. Its almost like being locked in a routine.
To top it off the twitch shooting, arena type speed aspect constantly kicks you in the balls due to lag or poor spawning.

Dear Dice..I am salavating for new BFBC2 maps as well as Vietnam, please please please deliver soon!

Veritas_

ThirstyFly said:

I've seen Jungle and Array fairly often. I've seen Launch once though, which sucks since I like it so much.

Veritas_ said:
I've seen Jungle and Array fairly often. I've seen Launch once though, which sucks since I like it so much.

Wow, Launch is probably the most frequent map I get. Comes up all the time in Domination for me.

Frillen said:
Why do people use the RX-Car instead of the Spy Plane? I don't know even where to start when it comes to why a spy plane is better.
1. Why share with your team if you want the kills.
2. Fun.
3. RCXD is a pretty much given kill, you're going to get at least one. Spy Plane just shows where they are, they can kill you.
4. People use ghost.
5. You really don't need spyplane. You see where people are when they shoot. You know someone is around a recently killed enemy symbol. You know where someone is camping if you have hacker and see camera, motion sensor, claymore, etc.

I switch between the two. Spy Plane isn't that great imo, especially with counters, ghost, jammers and the things I listed above.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I didn't read the last few pages so sorry if it's already been asked but is anyone else experiencing system freezes with the PS3 version in multiplayer?

I just tried to play a few matches and it froze twice. Only game it happens with (played DJ Hero 2 for a few hours beforehand with no issues).

StylusX

alterno69 said:
So i got Hacker pro, what can i hack and how? can i hack claymores or only killstreak rewards?

Claymores
Motion Sensor
Surface to air missles
Sentry gun
Care packages (as well as SAM packages and sentry gun packages)

I think thats all...maybe C4, never tried that.

Completed the game on veteran it wasn't that hard... well minus the corridor section in the rocket level and the barrel shit in Vietnam. That corridor bit almost made me give up.

wienke said:
I didn't read the last few pages so sorry if it's already been asked but is anyone else experiencing system freezes with the PS3 version in multiplayer?

I just tried to play a few matches and it froze twice. Only game it happens with (played DJ Hero 2 for a few hours beforehand with no issues).

Yup. I've logged in probably about a 30-35 hours on the multiplayer and had it freeze at least a dozen times. Mostly during the loadscreen, but I've also had it lock up during a match once or twice and once while watching a replay in theater mode.

cresto

So I presteged for the first time, and I instantly realized what a mistake I had made. All the guns I like to use get unlocked after the half way point (rank 26 and above). Why the fuck is there a money system if I still have to wait to unlock weapons? RETARDED.

Dresden

Wow, just stumbled across a sentry gun. First one I'd seen in a while.

I died and put on my ghost class to get the challenge done. Feels good.

ergo said:
So I presteged for the first time, and I instantly realized what a mistake I had made. All the guns I like to use get unlocked after the half way point (rank 26 and above). Why the fuck is there a money system if I still have to wait to unlock weapons? RETARDED.

Because grinding for all the attachments in MW2 was waaaaay worse than anything in BO (except maybe Scout Pro).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Wow, just stumbled across a sentry gun. First one I'd seen in a while.

I died and put on my ghost class to get the challenge done. Feels good.

You know, once they fix the Hardline Pro thing, I have a feeling sentry guns will be super rare. :lol

firehawk12 said:
You know, once they fix the Hardline Pro thing, I have a feeling sentry guns will be super rare. :lol

Once they fix that, they should make it so re-rolled care packages only drop sentry guns and sam turrets for a few days just to piss people off.

cresto

ThirstyFly said:
Because grinding for all the attachments in MW2 was waaaaay worse than anything in BO (except maybe Scout Pro).
No i love that BO has the system for that. I just dont understand why I have to play through half of my ranks just to get the better guns. there is a monitary system, why didnt they allow the guns to be unlocked quicker. thats all i'm saying, dick head!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
That's why I won't be prestiging again. :lol
Yeah, I feel bad. I should have just played normally and grinded for prestige first. Too late. :lol

Although I suppose I would never have used SMGs if it weren't for the Steady Aim challenges or played CTF if it weren't for Marathon. Hrm. :lol

ThirstyFly said:
Once they fix that, they should make it so re-rolled care packages only drop sentry guns and sam turrets for a few days just to piss people off.

70% Ammo, 15% sentry guns and 15% sam turrets. That'd be hilarious.

ergo said:
No i love that BO has the system for that. I just dont understand why I have to play through half of my ranks just to get the better guns. there is a monitary system, why didnt they allow the guns to be unlocked quicker. thats all i'm saying, dick head!

Probably because they want to reward you and have a greater sense of progressing than just tossing money in your face all the time, jerk face!

ThirstyFly said:
But it's not like you went for, like, thermal scopes and shit for every gun on every lap of prestige. You just did the ones you need, and they were easy, like 25 kills for red dot and 75 for silencer.

aku:jiki said:
But it's not like you went for, like, thermal scopes and shit for every gun on every lap of prestige. You just did the ones you need, and they were easy, like 25 kills for red dot and 75 for silencer.

I didn't prestige in MW2, but I did try to unlock everything since I had done it for MW1 and WaW. I didn't bother with most of the extended mags since that just took too damn long and I didn't touch the sniper rifles because I can't stand sniping in these games.

I much prefer the way it's set up in BO. I also think you have to unlock things though progression because they just didn't want to flood the first time player with too many options. Sure, you may know what you want by prestige 3, but first lap? Probably not.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
wienke said:

Never happened with DJ Hero 2, but I'm definitely seeing system freezes with Black Ops. 4 or 5 so far :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ThirstyFly said:
I didn't prestige in MW2, but I did try to unlock everything since I had done it for MW1 and WaW. I didn't bother with most of the extended mags since that just took too damn long and I didn't touch the sniper rifles because I can't stand sniping in these games.

I much prefer the way it's set up in BO. I also think you have to unlock things though progression because they just didn't want to flood the first time player with too many options. Sure, you may know what you want by prestige 3, but first lap? Probably not.

Yeah, I like that I can just skip right to reflex scope on all the guns without having to grind up to it like before.

I do agree that forcing you to go through the progression yet again seems strange. If you've prestiged, you should be able to buy the Commando if you want.

firehawk12 said:

They should just modify the requirement so that you can also destroy sam turrets. I'm approaching my 2nd prestige and I've seen a grand total of 2 sentry guns ever, one that I got lucky enough to spawn near to destroy for ghost pro. The requirements for some of the pro perks are so lame.

ThirstyFly said:
Wow. You were so very far from the intended target of ergo's post... :lol

He's talking to people who do prestige and I kinda agree with him, it feels a little poorly thought out to have both level unlocks and a monetary system. It makes you feel like, hey, which is it? Can I buy whatever I want, or can't I? I want my Spectre! :lol

firehawk12 said:
I do agree that forcing you to go through the progression yet again seems strange. If you've prestiged, you should be able to buy the Commando if you want.

I don't really want to keep debating people's opinions because none are wrong, but that's something I'd say you give up when you prestige and that's the whole point of prestiging. You can't say "Oh, I'll give up everything and begin again... except for this one thing". It's all or nothing.

Maybe if the order of unlocks was a little better so you got some of the more useful stuff earlier it wouldn't be so bad. I dunno though, I seemed to get to level 50 pretty fast so I don't really see it as a huge issue to get upset over like some people are, but then again, I never plan to prestige in this one just because the pro perks are so time consuming. I'm still working on friggin' scout pro :(

Top Bottom