• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

aku:jiki said:
Wow. You were so very far from the intended target of ergo's post... :lol

He's talking to people who do prestige and I kinda agree with him, it feels a little poorly thought out to have both level unlocks and a monetary system. It makes you feel like, hey, which is it? Can I buy whatever I want, or can't I? I want my Spectre! :lol

I'm well aware of what his issue is - that reply was to your comment, not his. I just think it's there for progression. What's the point of even still having levels if you can just buy whatever you want? The money is there to lessen the grinding so you don't have to unlock whatever attachments you may want. The weapons are there so you have something to earn as you progress besides money. You give up the right to have that Spectre right away when you Prestige. Presting should have some drawbacks.

One thing I do find odd is why you have to buy weapons after earning them. They should have had the money for attachments and just had the weapons unlock like before.

ThirstyFly said:
I'm still working on friggin' scout pro :(

I've got all of the pro perks that I need, so I'm concerned about prestiging as well. I just got to 50 today (27 hours-yes I suck) so I'll stick around for a bit.

Are there additional challenges unlocked once you prestige? I liked that in MW2 it seemed to go faster the second time around due to this.

Nizz

Had a horrible time trying to play this last night. Friends kept inviting me to join them, and every time I tried I got a "party no longer active" message. Then when we did finally get together, the timer's counting down to the start of the match and when the teams are grouped up sure enough one of my friends got put on the opposite team.

This happened for about fifteen minutes till I just gave up. Ended up going solo but even then the "party" didn't stop. Host migration failures, disconnects, lag and of course the shitty framerate on PS3 all came together for a great night. :(

Xamdou

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
BO is way easy to prestige in. By level 14ish I have the money and ability to buy everything I want besides the G11.

20 lvls lower requirement to prestige as well as choosing which contracts to do, it is. Also cash is really easy to get with the contract system in place. The only bad thing about prestiging is losing your stats and perks but that's about it. When you prestige you keep your icon and any backgrounds you bought prior to prestiging.

Whoa, I just noticed Wikipedia lists David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight, Blade series, Dark City, etc) as the writer for this? I'm surprised I hadn't heard that before, figured it would be pretty big news. Or is this another case of Wiki just being Wiki?

Mileena

Banned
Xamdou said:
20 lvls lower requirement to prestige as well as choosing which contracts to do, it is. Also cash is really easy to get with the contract system in place. The only bad thing about prestiging is losing your stats and perks but that's about it. When you prestige you keep your icon and any backgrounds you bought prior to prestiging.
wat?

Plasma

Banned
ThirstyFly said:
Whoa, I just noticed Wikipedia lists David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight, Blade series, Dark City, etc) as the writer for this? I'm surprised I hadn't heard that before, figured it would be pretty big news. Or is this another case of Wiki just being Wiki?

By the sounds of it from the interviews he was really just looking over the script and changing some stuff, I think they spoke about it on the Bonus Round.

Xamdou

purple cobra said:
Had a horrible time trying to play this last night. Friends kept inviting me to join them, and every time I tried I got a "party no longer active" message. Then when we did finally get together, the timer's counting down to the start of the match and when the teams are grouped up sure enough one of my friends got put on the opposite team.

This happened for about fifteen minutes till I just gave up. Ended up going solo but even then the "party" didn't stop. Host migration failures, disconnects, lag and of course the shitty framerate on PS3 all came together for a great night. :(

Been playing the 360 version and there was never a host migration issue, rare occasional lag and the frame rate top notch. Also the 360's built in Party Chat keeps the friends chatter on-going.

Plasma said:
By the sounds of it from the interviews he was really just looking over the script and changing some stuff, I think they spoke about it on the Bonus Round.

Then who can I blame for what happens to poor
Dimitri
? I must know!

Edit: Yup, a quick google reveals he just provided "script consultation and story development support". Doesn't sound like he was too involved like you said.

What's strange is after I hit prestige I lost all my reticles, but it looks like I kept my reticle colors. Will I still have my various gun/face camo too, or are they all gone?

KaYotiX

Banned
Xamdou said:

didnt lose my stats,

steadfast

Tkawsome said:
What's strange is after I hit prestige I lost all my reticles, but it looks like I kept my reticle colors. Will I still have my various gun/face camo too, or are they all gone?

It's all gone. When I prestiged I lost everything that wasn't playercard related. This is on 360.

steadfast said:
It's all gone. When I prestiged I lost everything that wasn't playercard related. This is on 360.

I'm pretty sure that's suppose to happen. You keep your currency and gamer card but all weapons and attachments need to repurchased at the correct levels every time you rank in prestige

aku:jiki

kyo_daikun said:
Nope, gotta rebuy everything related to weapons.
Untrue, he's right. Tags and emblems on guns stay unlocked when you prestige, as do reticles and reticle/lens colors. Camos and face paint re-lock.

I think there's even a glitch (on 360), where you can add the tag when you can add the emblem even though it comes later. You can still select it even though there's a lock.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lionheart1827 said:
They should just modify the requirement so that you can also destroy sam turrets. I'm approaching my 2nd prestige and I've seen a grand total of 2 sentry guns ever, one that I got lucky enough to spawn near to destroy for ghost pro. The requirements for some of the pro perks are so lame.

Oh yeah, you have to work for the Pro perks so giving them up is insane. They require so many flukey situations and in the meantime you might be using perks that you don't want to use just to make sure you don't miss that stray sentry gun or two guys with their backs turned to you.

ThirstyFly said:
I don't really want to keep debating people's opinions because none are wrong, but that's something I'd say you give up when you prestige and that's the whole point of prestiging. You can't say "Oh, I'll give up everything and begin again... except for this one thing". It's all or nothing.

Maybe if the order of unlocks was a little better so you got some of the more useful stuff earlier it wouldn't be so bad. I dunno though, I seemed to get to level 50 pretty fast so I don't really see it as a huge issue to get upset over like some people are, but then again, I never plan to prestige in this one just because the pro perks are so time consuming. I'm still working on friggin' scout pro :(

To be fair, I don't care either way since I'm never going to prestige. I can just understand the other point of view is all.

GeekyDad

MarshMellow96 said:
Am I right in thinking you keep your lifetime challenges though?

Yeah, that's impression I got from some commentaries on Respawn. I think you just need to re-purchase the perks, but once you unlocked them, I believe they stay unlocked after you prestige.

Someone correct me if that's wrong.

snap0212

smulzie said:
Sorry guys, haven't been following this thread. Can you guys add me if you have a neogaf clan?

PSN: smulz
I don't think there's a NeoGAF "Clan", but you could use nGAF as your clan tag and the fancy NeoGAF Logo emblem. :p

aku:jiki

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, that's impression I got from some commentaries on Respawn. I think you just need to re-purchase the perks, but once you unlocked them, I believe they stay unlocked after you prestige.

Someone correct me if that's wrong.
These are the only things you keep, everything else has to be re-unlocked as before:

- Emblem layers
- Emblem clip art
- The emblem itself
- Callsign backgrounds
- Reticles
- Reticle colors
- Lens colors
- Gun tags
- Gun emblem
- Lifetime challenges

snap0212 said:
I don't think there's a NeoGAF "Clan", but you could use nGAF as your clan tag and the fancy NeoGAF Logo emblem. :p
Oh yeah, I saw someone with a GAF emblem today. Didn't recognize the GT though and he was only in there for like 2 lives.

todahawk

snap0212 said:

that's what i run with. my psn id = todahawk
feel free to add me, i'm looking for gaffers to play team and objective based modes with.

firehawk12 said:
Oh yeah, you have to work for the Pro perks so giving them up is insane. They require so many flukey situations and in the meantime you might be using perks that you don't want to use just to make sure you don't miss that stray sentry gun or two guys with their backs turned to you.

To be fair, I don't care either way since I'm never going to prestige. I can just understand the other point of view is all.

I just hate that you have to play playlists that you might not like to get the pro perks. I never play CTF so why should I have to cap 15 flags to get marathon pro?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cuevas said:
I just hate that you have to play playlists that you might not like to get the pro perks. I never play CTF so why should I have to cap 15 flags to get marathon pro?

It's true, although I would have never played Demolition or CTF and I've learned to enjoy those game modes. I'll probably head back to Ground War when I finish Hacker Pro though.

Eric WK

kyo_daikun said:
Nope, gotta rebuy everything related to weapons.

This isn't true. If you've bought the ability to place a clan tag or emblem on a particular gun, you'll retain that ability once you unlock the gun again. I just hit prestige five and this has been true throughout.

alterno69

Banned
Level 43 here my class is
Galil+red dot+extended mag
Ghost pro
Warlord pro
Hacker pro

Semtex
Decoy
Claymore/motion sensor

I only play merc and domination and it works well most of the time, i'm loving this game and more hooked than i was with MW2

I did have issues yesterday, i wasnt able to connect to any match or join my friends for like 30 minutes, had to restart the console, that was on 360 btw

Dresden

I'm still a believer in the Spas. I just use two classes now.

Silenced Spas
Strela

Semtex
Concussion
Claymore

Ghost
Steady Aim
Hacker

-or-

L96A1 w/ Variable Scope
Python w/ Speed Loader

Semtex
Concussion
Claymore

Flak Jacket
Hardened Pro
Second Chance Pro (bite me)

Basically the latter for any large sniping-friendly map like Array or WMD, and the former for anything other than that.

ThirstyFly said:
Because grinding for all the attachments in MW2 was waaaaay worse than anything in BO (except maybe Scout Pro).
Getting the Pro versions in MW2 was really straightforward and with some dedication wasn't too bad, with exception being SitRep.

I cannot play this game anymore. I'm sick of people having what looks like a second of time on me before I get a chance to shoot back. Lag is killing the game no matter what locale is selected.

Going 17 deaths and 2 kills is absolutely no fun at all. So fuck it.

Spooks

omg finally...FINALLY got ghost pro today. Had to go into FFA and throw out a sentry gun. Yeah, I might have to skip prestiging on this game because these challenges for the pro versions kind of suck. :lol

MarkMclovin said:
I cannot play this game anymore. I'm sick of people having what looks like a second of time on me before I get a chance to shoot back. Lag is killing the game no matter what locale is selected.

Going 17 deaths and 2 kills is absolutely no fun at all. So fuck it.

2-17 isn't about lag...unless you are on 56k

Top Bottom