• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

divisionbyzorro said:
My only problem with Second Chance is that I don't get the kill if a teammate kills a guy I drop into SC. So annoying. I should get the kill and he can get the assist.
Yeah I've usually got a good feel for the timing on Second Chance and get the kill but it is really annoying when you've done all the work and a teammate comes along and snags the kill. I think they should change that as at least people wouldn't be annoyed so much when they are killed by someone in Second Chance because they know they will get the kill as well.

Friendly warning: never, ever, ever play Headquarters on Nuketown. You thought the spawn system was fucked before - wait until you spawn directly in the middle of the enemy team over and over again! It's complete horseshit.

If the game shows up in my recent games, I'll clip out a particularly rage inducing section.

EDIT: Oh, and I just thought of something that I think would be genius (of course, since I thought of it :lol). What if the SAM Turret was automatically deployed where you threw the smoke grenade? Think about it! It would prevent Hardline abuse (getting a CP at one kill less than a real CP), and it would make the SAM Turret a fire-and-forget killstreak reward. The only reason I never use the SAM is because I can't be bothered to take the time to deal with the package. If I could drop the grenade and move on, it would permanently become my first KS reward.

KiKaL

divisionbyzorro said:
Friendly warning: never, ever, ever play Headquarters on Nuketown. You thought the spawn system was fucked before - wait until you spawn directly in the middle of the enemy team over and over again! It's complete horseshit.

Don't know why but I love HQ, DEM and DOM on Nuketown. It's just pure chaos and hilarious. With that said I am the type who really doesn't take my K:D serious and just do what's fun.

bolbronx

KiKaL said:
Don't know why but I love HQ, DEM and DOM on Nuketown. It's just pure chaos and hilarious. With that said I am the type who really doesn't take my K:D serious and just do what's fun.

I agree, DEM on Nuketown is utterly insane. Semtex, frags, choppers, gas, napalm, CPs, gunfire everywhere.

It's madness. But so much fun. And you get a crazy amount of XP (if your playing well)

bolbronx said:
I agree, DEM on Nuketown is utterly insane. Semtex, frags, choppers, gas, napalm, CPs, gunfire everywhere.

It's madness. But so much fun. And you get a crazy amount of XP (if your playing well)

Demolition/Domination at least have predictable spawns. In HQ you can spawn literally anywhere. It's insane.

tsigo

aku:jiki said:
Um... So this is pretty embarassing, but has anyone managed to actually post on the official CoD forums? How the hell do you do it? I'm trying on two computers on two different networks in three different browsers and I can't locate the "start thread" button to save my life, and "post a reply" just refreshes the thread and doesn't do anything else? WTF is going on? I've been a forum nerd for 10 years, how am I failing at this?! :lol

I thought I was the only one. Their forum is straight-up broken. If you actually manage to log-in, "Post Reply "does nothing. If you start a new thread you may or may not be directed back to log in. Logging in successfully can put you in a loop of being redirected to the login form... the list goes on. If they can't even successfully modify a phpBB installation, it makes you wonder how they made such a bug-free game.

derp

divisionbyzorro said:
Friendly warning: never, ever, ever play Nuketown.

Fixed!

tsigo said:

Actually, I like Domination on Nuketown as a palate cleanser from the rest of the game. The only Domination map I hate is Firing Range. I'd rather play Nuketown 24/7 than play a single match on Firing Range.

EDIT: I'm playing around with a few new weapons now that I've prestiged (yes, only once). My current obsession is the Stoner63 + Extended Mags. It's actually a really good gun! My only complaint is the lowered movement speed of LMGs, but I've been putting up some really good scores with it lately.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
My only problem with Second Chance is that I don't get the kill if a teammate kills a guy I drop into SC. So annoying. I should get the kill and he can get the assist.
I hate how it lets the guy's bullets exist longer. Normally, in CoD, when you kill someone who had fired at you, his bullets just disappear when he dies. That's how we survive so many close encounters despite both players spraying wildly. A lot of the time, he probably did shoot you enough to kill you, but you were faster so you get to win.

If someone drops into SC, the bullets don't disappear and he gets you where you normally would've barely survived and made it out of there. That part is some total bullshit, totally rule-changing all of a sudden.

aku:jiki said:
I hate how it lets the guy's bullets exist longer. Normally, in CoD, when you kill someone who had fired at you, his bullets just disappear when he dies. That's how we survive so many close encounters despite both players spraying wildly. A lot of the time, he probably did shoot you enough to kill you, but you were faster so you get to win.

If someone drops into SC, the bullets don't disappear and he gets you where you normally would've barely survived and made it out of there. That part is some total bullshit, totally rule-changing all of a sudden.

Good point. I fiddled around with Second Chance for a little bit before prestiging (I figured I might as well try each perk once) and got the Second Chance headshot challenge without firing my pistol. :lol

cuevas said:
Have you used the guns in game? The Galil sucks compared to the 74u in game.

They both suck compared to the AK47 silenced. Go figure.

Oh and EDIT: Keep the myth going that the 74u is uber,please. As a mainly assault rifle user I am tearing 74u users up at medium + ranges.

Mileena

Banned
Maybe the 74u just fits your playstyle better? I've got like 9k kills and about 3k are from the 74u but at medium-long range the Galil is undoubtedly a better gun (unless you're in hardcore)

aku:jiki

corkscrewblow said:
uhhh have YOU used the guns in game?
Uhh, yeah...

I'm 5th prestige and I'm an ADD player, I couldn't stick to one weapon if I wanted to. I buy every weapon as it unlocks on each lap and I always find myself doing better with a Galil than with an 74u, regardless of whether I defend or run and gun.

Then again, I think I do better overall with a Spectre than with any other SMG. Used to do really well with the Kiparis, but now I find it comes with too little ammo and I don't want to sacrifice Ghost for it. MPL is cool too. I always run everything suppressed, by the way.

Anerythristic said:
They both suck compared to the AK47 silenced. Go figure.
The only technical difference between Galil and AK is the recoil, but I think I agree anyway. Think I need to go put the AK on my AR class and play a match with it right now! :D

I use the Galil with a suppressor on my sneakymode class, but I never use it unsuppressed. For that I go with the AUG or FAMAS usually. Something about it doesn't "feel right" to me when unsuppressed.f

The only advantage the 74u has over the Galil within range is better hipfire and the ability to use Rapid Fire for greater DPS. It's a great gun, but to say that it's categorically better than the Galil is flat-out wrong (but you can say that it's categorically better than any of the other SMGs!).

Of course, it's ultimately about what works best for you. Numbers only tell part of the story - each gun "feels" different to everybody.

Probably, I play like a 12 year old with add off his adderal; I am constantly sprinting around. But I still kill people long range on maps like jungle. Also 99% of my games are in tdm.

Stantron

Last night, I dropped a care package in the back of Summit that turned out to be a counter spy plane. A random team mate, who was near by getting his own care package, re-rolled it with Hardline pro into a Gunship chopper. I thanked him kindly, and had a giddyy shit-eating grin the entire time using it. Even got the game ending kill cam. Feels good.

The guy didn't ask me before re-rolling. Had it been turned to ammo, I would have probably been ok with it since I would have took the gamble myself for that particular game. But had he done the same with something I actually wanted to keep, I would yelled at him for his misguided philanthropy. :lol

bathala

Banned
just finished the campaign last night.

I really like the story. It has Manchurian Candidate in it, and some other conspiracy theories.

Didn't like the helicopter part or flashes of scenes.

corkscrewblow said:
Well the quality of the players in TDM is pretty bad... might want to try a real mode.

As a player that loves objective based games, I play TDM all the way as well. There is nothing and I mean this nothing more childish to me than turning objective games into bonus time TDM.

The only players I respect are HTDM,TDM,S&D. I have heard they recently turned capture the flag into TDM as well :(

corkscrewblow said:
Well the quality of the players in ANY MODE is pretty bad... might want to try a real mode.
Whenever I play games like domination I finish with best k/d, most caps and defends, and can still lose because 4 of my teammates are camping trying to get their RC cars to get easy kills. I like other gametypes but I'm used to playing s&d competitively on the PC where all my teammates can contribute and dont have to be carried.

they should really put those flags for domination in more defensible positions like actually all three flags inside buildings or structures. so you have to actually go breach and clear and take the fuggin' flag.

Mileena

Banned
I'm just talking from my experience, when playing with friends who don't play objective modes I just find there's a ton of noobs playing TDM. I actually just played my first match of care package glitchers on Demo and the other half of the team that wasn't glitching was camping our spawn. Thanks Treyarch!

Stantron said:
Last night, I dropped a care package in the back of Summit that turned out to be a counter spy plane. A random team mate, who was near by getting his own care package, re-rolled it with Hardline pro into a Gunship chopper. I thanked him kindly, and had a giddyy shit-eating grin the entire time using it. Even got the game ending kill cam. Feels good.

The guy didn't ask me before re-rolling. Had it been turned to ammo, I would have probably been ok with it since I would have took the gamble myself for that particular game. But had he done the same with something I actually wanted to keep, I would yelled at him for his misguided philanthropy. :lol

What's funny is that the re-rolls go by player, not by package. If you organize your team, you can take turns re-rolling packages until you get something awesome. :lol

X26

Banned
maybe its just me but lately games have been getting much more balanced and I've been in more rooms where it's all prestige guys, vs. before when the game would somehow put all us on the same team against sub rank 30 guys. Obviously I don't manage to get crazy ratios or anything but the games are much more fun when competitive like this

X26

Banned
Anerythristic said:
they should really put those flags for domination in more defensible positions like actually all three flags inside buildings or structures. so you have to actually go breach and clear and take the fuggin' flag.

that would make it easier to grab flags if anything since you could focus on a single entrance or two rather than standing around in the middle of an area with little to no cover waiting for the bar to fill

X26 said:
maybe its just me but lately games have been getting much more balanced and I've been in more rooms where it's all prestige guys, vs. before when the game would somehow put all us on the same team against sub rank 30 guys. Obviously I don't manage to get crazy ratios or anything but the games are much more fun when competitive like this

I find prestige levels to mean nothing, 5th prestige guys can be just as bad as those guys who are level 1. When we play people who have their K/D up to 2 or above in TDM we make them quit most of the time because we are so_fucking_beastly. But really, your prestige just means how much you have played and not much else.

Stantron

divisionbyzorro said:
What's funny is that the re-rolls go by player, not by package. If you organize your team, you can take turns re-rolling packages until you get something awesome. :lol
Wait, WAT?! Are you sure about that? I remember trying this out with a buddy in combat training, and the package wouldn't re-roll. Maybe I was mistaken. We were playing two of us versus 9 recruit level bots on Nuketown, and we were throwing a shit ton of CPs in the back garden, so maybe that caused the confusion. Gonna try again tonight.

If true, that would be the only justifiable nerf, if at all for Hardline Pro, IMO. I think being able to re-roll SAM/Sentry/Valkrie ONCE is fine. An organized team, however, all running the same hardline + SAM/CP/Sentry load out is just... :lol On the other hand, that would be really tough to defend all those drops, so go figure.

Here's that spawn fail on Nuketown Headquarters I was telling you about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzXEgKVrJSs

Clearly I just wasn't beast enough to handle all that (in fact, I wasn't playing particularly well that game at all). But why the game couldn't have spawned us on opposite sides of the map I'll never know.

I have another clip from a different HQ game on Nuketown where I abuse the shit out of this stupid spawn situation by dropping napalm on what should be their spawn, thus forcing them to spawn behind me repeatedly. I'll render that next time I get the time.

Stantron said:
Wait, WAT?! Are you sure about that? I remember trying this out with a buddy in combat training, and the package wouldn't re-roll. Maybe I was mistaken. We were playing two of us versus 9 recruit level bots on Nuketown, and we were throwing a shit ton of CPs in the back garden, so maybe that caused the confusion. Gonna try again tonight.

If true, that would be the only justifiable nerf, if at all for Hardline Pro, IMO. I think being able to re-roll SAM/Sentry/Valkrie ONCE is fine. An organized team, however, all running the same hardline + SAM/CP/Sentry load out is just... :lol On the other hand, that would be really tough to defend all those drops, so go figure.

I'm about 90% sure of this. I know I've re-rolled a re-rolled package before with me and a teammate fighting over a package, but I've never tried to do it deliberately before. It's possible it was a one-time glitch, but it definitely happened to me once. I assumed that was how it was meant to be - one re-roll per person per package. See if you can test it under real-life circumstances and let us know what happens.

KiKaL

Wow division, I seriously had to take a second look at that video. I thought I was in that game or that was my video. I played a game on Nuke tonight where that exact same thing happened and I recorded the video shot with that exact view.

kuYuri

Next update/patch list. Worth noting are the gameplay tunings:

Xbox 360

PS3

Taken from 360 update:
Issues Addressed:
* • Resolved several issues with parties getting disbanded unexpectedly.
* • Updated handling for UPnP-enabled routers to improve matchmaking conditions where users had strict or moderate NAT types. Also added in-game communications so that all players are aware of their NAT type in the Player Match party lobby.
* • Addressed issue that prevented the “Load MP by Default” option from saving when other specific option combinations were set.
* • Prevention of exploit that allowed players to keep custom classes and killstreaks after prestige.
* • Addressed an issue where Flak Jacket Pro would not always protect against ground fires left by Napalm Strikes.
* • Prevention of users losing their killstreak reward when switching classes at the start of a new round in round-based game modes.
* • Addressed an issue where the incorrect perks would appear when spectating another player under certain circumstances.
* • Added round start explosive delay to China Lake grenade launcher to give it the same round start limitations as other explosives.
* • Contracts will now reset when the player Prestiges.
* • Prevention of Valkyrie rocket exploding upon release under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of Gunship failing to give player full control under rare conditions.
* • Prevention of an issue where a player will get teleported outside the map boundaries under very specific circumstances.
* • Additional security measures to enhance detection and banning capabilities.

Gameplay Tuning:
* • Limit the ability to re-roll supply drops using Hardline Pro to Care Packages only, no other killstreak drops.
* • Added a negative influencer to all spawn points to decrease the chances of spawning near an enemy. This will further improve spawning protection on top of previous updates.
* • Additional sound mix tuning for Ninja Pro users – increased ranges and volume of enemy footsteps, and removed player footstep sounds on concrete material types.
* • Increased headshot multipliers for sniper rifles. Sniper rifles with suppressors equipped will now always be ensured one-shot kill headshots.
* • Subtle increase in sniper rifle accuracy when scoping in.
* • Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.
* • Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

Mileena

Banned
• Additional minor reductions in knife lunge.

ic1bo0.gif

Xux

Jeeze, I wonder how far the lunge is now, it's gotta be at least 75% of the COD4 lunge after these two nerfs.

I honestly felt the knife was fine. The only real issue I had was when someone could run through your bullets to knife you. The problem here is either that it takes too many bullets to kill or that the bullets don't have a force to repel the charging player. If you try to run through bullets, it should drastically reduce your momentum possibly even pushing you back. The lunge itself, once triggered, I didn't run into problems with.

corkscrewblow said:
The knife definitely needed to be nerfed. If you disagree, just look at this. I would have just turned the game off :lol

That is atrocious. Commando-levels of bad. But tbh, I've never experienced anything like that. Isn't the lag recorded into Theater Mode? Such as why you see people dying around corners? (and I don't mean to excuse the lag)

Mully

corkscrewblow said:
The knife definitely needed to be nerfed. If you disagree, just look at this. I would have just turned the game off :lol

To be honest, that looks a bit too far for it to be the game's fault. It's look like he had a better connection and was actually closer to you, but since there was such a wide difference in connections the game on your end saw him further away than he was.

• Added a render delay to the red diamond player indicators that appear when controlling the Gunship, Valkyrie Rocket and Chopper Gunner. When a player first spawns, this will not appear for a period of time.

I complained about this shit before the game even came out, and all the Black Ops apologists defended the new decision. Considering all the ideas Treyarch swiped from MW2, it's surprising that they didn't take this one as well.

I swear, Treyarch deliberately shits up their game so they can pretend to "fix" it later. :lol Ridiculous.

No fix of the broken host immigration and connection? Yay...

Who the fuck cares about fixing rare gameplay shit when you're not even able to play the game?

VaLiancY

Commando called and said all other ARs are weaksauce. :p I love that damn AR, favorite gun in the game next to the MP5k. A bitch I won't see it again til later. <prestige button>

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Patrick Bateman said:
Are there any advantages of Prestige besides the extra slot?
I know there are emblems and playercards. New colors for clan tag, golden camo.
I think theres some other aesthetic shit that i dont remember :/

Top Bottom