• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

divisionbyzorro said:
Hmm. I'll give it another chance when I unlock it this prestige.

That's damn incriminating. It's not possible to browse random people's history and bring it into theater, is it? I'd like to see if that happens in all his games, or if a host migration or other such glitch temporarily gave him that power.

Nothing happened at the start of the match, he dropped in like normal five seconds after the match started. I'm definitively thinking it's a hack or some bigger issue.

dorkimoe

beat the singleplayer on veteran and didnt get the achievement. noticed it didnt give me credit for veteran on 3 levels or something. what the fuck. fucking hate this singleplayer on veteran and dont feel like doing it again, so bullshit

tsigo

LeMaximilian said:
Predator reticle. Embrace it.

Not sure if you were kidding but it's totally not bad! Takes a bit to get out of the mentality that a dot should be over a guy's head, but yeah.

kuYuri

Still can't do very well in this game compared to past 3 CoD games. It feels like I'm doing worse, not better. :/

On the bright side, I prestiged once finally and managed to get 1 sentry kill with Ghost equipped by the time I reached level 12. So lucky. I'll get Ghost Pro so much faster compared to before prestiging.

Max

I am not Max
Stallion Free said:
Idk what game type, just make it hardcore.
Currently set to hc domination.

The name's "NeoGAF HC Dom" if anyone cares to populate. The gametype can be changed whenever, but hc dom is hella' fun.

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
That's damn incriminating. It's not possible to browse random people's history and bring it into theater, is it? I'd like to see if that happens in all his games, or if a host migration or other such glitch temporarily gave him that power.

I'm pretty sure you can go into someone's playercard from the recent players tab on your friends list and look at their games there.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I can't seem to link my PC to callofduty.com. Every time it asks me to login to Steam, it does so and sends me back to the "Link Now!" page. What gives?

aku:jiki said:
I have to completely disagree with this. I see no way this would make sniping with the L96A1, which is really what this is about, any more fun. The majority of the sniping community has no interest in the semi-action rifles.

Which was the problem. Quickscoping should require the player to aim for more than any non-limb part. They even made the L96 more powerful than the other bolt-action snipers by making the bicep a OHK.

Maybe you do, and that's cool, but the rest of us are all about the L96A1, and it's being fucked up by the pointless initial sway and the retarded random miss effect. Those are the problems that need to be adressed, messing around with other stuff will not make L96 sniping fun.

Not sure what the random miss effect is, but the initial sway just means that any possible quick-scoping should have its range limited. Especially when the only area that won't get you a OHK is the leg.

Have to say that I'm not following your logic here either... Just because people use LMG's here, that negates the fact that 90% of people in BO use the AK74u? I think the AK74u obsession is much worse than the UMP45 ever was, comparable to the MP40 in WaW. MW2 had tac-knifers, shotgun runners, RPG-whores, tubers, Javelin spammers, etc, etc. All horrible strategies, sure, but there were definitely more of them available than there are in BO.

Considering that the 74u does the same amount of damage as the MP5 (40 close range, 20 long range) I don't see how it is more annoying than the SMG that killed in 3 bullets or less at any range without SP.

The problem isn't the gun, it's that the stages in black ops have a lot more closed areas to accommodate shotguns, which inadvertently accommodates SMG users as well. And since the AK74 is the more powerful SMG, but has very predictable recoil, it's a popular gun. But the gun is still devastated by ARs and LMGs at long range.

Plus, you're forgetting that the RPD was easily one of the most powerful weapons in MW2. Two bullet kill at any range.

And the RPD was great in CoD4 (because it had low recoil and high damage output), but was useless in MW2 because all the ARs were just as powerful excluding sniper range. So it was a choice between a good ol' AR or an AR that had less mobility, a slower ADS time, shitty hipfire, and slow reload time.

In BO, the RPK and HK have better hipfire accuracy than the ARs and deal 40 damage at all ranges, the M60 is a full-auto M14 with shitty stats, and the stoner has the highest damage rate of any gun in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Currently using SAM turret/Care Package/Sentry Gun with hardline pro because I'm a douche and it's hilarious. Has anything been said about being able to reroll the SAM and sentry? Doesn't seem intended.

Xux said:
I'm pretty sure you can go into someone's playercard from the recent players tab on your friends list and look at their games there.

Yes, but the odds of this guy being one of the last 50 people I've played against are basically zero.

eek5

LordAlu said:
The first one you could (unfortunately) put down to host advantage and the terrible hit detection, but that second one... that's some rage quit shit right there! :O
you can't shoot through rails/fences on a ton of maps

hopefully they can fix it but i doubt they will

aku:jiki

TestOfTide said:
Which was the problem. Quickscoping should require the player to aim for more than any non-limb part. They even made the L96 more powerful than the other bolt-action snipers by making the bicep a OHK.
Why should it require that?

Are you aware that there are two different uses of the phrase "quickscoping," and do you realize that I'm talking about general quickscoping and not MW2 quickscoping? Not trying to be a dick there, just clarifying our conversation.

MW2 quickscoping, meaning using Sleight of Hand and the strangely broken Intervention hit detection to perform ridiculously fast snipes, was a problem that needed to be fixed. Quickscoping, as in just firing quickly after scoping due to the player performing the majority of the aiming non-scoped, doesn't need to be fixed.

I will say that the bicep multiplier can be removed though.

TestOfTide said:
Not sure what the random miss effect is
Supposedly, sniper rifles will just miss sometimes even though were on target and supposdely it's intentional and commented on by Vonderhaar, but I was never able to confirm that myself.

I'm not sure why you say that the initial sway is good for stopping quickscoping, as it does not do so in any way. The sway will stop you from performing extremely long-range quickscopes, but not extremely close-range ones. Long-range quickscopes hardly even exist, there are very, very few players who can pull that off. So there really doesn't need to be a counter to it. What is pissing people off are the very close-range almost "instascopes," and those are not at all countered by the sway. All the initial sway is doing is making it harder for less skilled snipers to pull off normal snipes with no fancy tricks, while the very skilled quickscopers can just go about their day and rip shit up.

TestOfTide said:
Considering that the 74u does the same amount of damage as the MP5 (40 close range, 20 long range) I don't see how it is more annoying than the SMG that killed in 3 bullets or less at any range without SP.
If we're talking about weapon viability and not popularity, the LMG's are not poorly designed in any CoD. Technically, the L86 LSW has the shortest "time to kill" in MW2, and RPD is one of the most accurate and powerful weapons in the game. Certain LMGs (well, ok, just the L86) were hipfire beasts in MW2 too. They just aren't very popular because they make you slow.

Not sure why we're switching the discussion from weapon popularity to weapon quality though. There's no real correlation between quality and popularity in anything, so trying to relate the two is pretty pointless. People will just flock to whatever everybody else uses and I can never agree that there's more variation in the community in BO than there was in MW2. I don't see how anyone could claim that.

Papercuts said:
Currently using SAM turret/Care Package/Sentry Gun with hardline pro because I'm a douche and it's hilarious. Has anything been said about being able to reroll the SAM and sentry? Doesn't seem intended.
They're fixing it in the patch that's in the pipeline. I think it's a pretty pointless patch, being able to reroll them isn't really breaking the game in any way... The majority of the time, people are getting a few extra ammo crates or counter UAV's. Big deal. I actually love it when they call in like 4 packages and get a bunch of UAV's, that's a field day for my Ghost Pro right there! :D

Hubba-EX

Neo Member
aku:jiki said:
They're fixing it in the patch that's in the pipeline. I think it's a pretty pointless patch, being able to reroll them isn't really breaking the game in any way... The majority of the time, people are getting a few extra ammo crates or counter UAV's. Big deal. I actually love it when they call in like 4 packages and get a bunch of UAV's, that's a field day for my Ghost Pro right there! :D

From what I read, it is not a glitch or exploit and was intended. They are undecided if they will patch it as of yet.

Hubba-EX said:
From what I read, it is not a glitch or exploit and was intended. They are undecided if they will patch it as of yet.

The idea of re-rolling a Sentry Gun just boggles my mind. First, the Sentry Gun is awesome. Second, you are more than likely going to end up getting something that takes less than 6 kills to earn. Third, as with all packages, you have to leave the action for so long that it's really not worth it!

Re-rolling a SAM turret is a little more offensive, since it's easier to earn that a traditional Care Package.

Ultimately, Hardline Pro is really only useful as ammo crate insurance. The "package abuse" ultimately results in less kills per minute than running Spy Plane/Napalm/Helicopter (or in my case, Spy Plane/Napalm/Chopper Gunner).

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Ultimately, Hardline Pro is really only useful as ammo crate insurance. The "package abuse" ultimately results in less kills per minute than running Spy Plane/Napalm/Helicopter (or in my case, Spy Plane/Napalm/Chopper Gunner).
Not to mention the fact that package hoarders get taken out of the match for a good minute, maybe even 1:30, as they wait for and reroll packages, resulting in even less kills per minute. The whole situation just seems totally fair, balanced and not very abusive to me. I hope Hubba-EX is right! :D

LeMaximilian said:
Hey, you guys wanna see some stupid shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZGnThvCSk

That second one has gotten me killed before! I was standing on the top and trying to fire an RPG down between the slats in the railing (doing a little C-dom defense), and it hit the invisible barrier between the slats and blew up. Infuriating map bug.

Stoney Mason said:
Probably already posted but I thought this was cool.

http://www.gamexe.net/codbo/playercard/

And their site has crashed! At least, I can't load it over here. Can someone else verify whether or not it's working for them? It could very well be the proxy server at work here doing something funky, or since every hotlinked image gets rebuilt every time you ask for it, they could have exceeded their bandwidth allowance with that little tool. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Site's down for me as well division.

LeMaximilian said:
Hey, you guys wanna see some stupid shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZGnThvCSk

I'm surprised that you only now saw that quirk about that one stupid railing - it's been pissing me off since the first week - not only can you not shoot through it, but if you're only seeing their head and you're anywhere under it, you still can't even get headshot feedback while they have a clear view of you - so damn stupid.

And that knife distance death is a nightly occurrence to me too, especially when I keep thinking that he is still far enough to hip-fire burst to kill him, and he teleports in for the knife kill - things like this is why I stopped caring about my K/D ratio in this game because no matter what game me and my friends play, we NEVER quit out, and that has been biting us in the ass big time with K/D ratios with the bullshit lag and delays in this game, but we still pull out wins regardless - no way in hell I'm going to hand over victory by quitting out.

yoopoo

Banned
Played the for the first time since the patch...I still can't hear the enemy footsteps with Ninja Pro with my headphones. Anyone else having the issue?

dakster

Neo Member
Hellish time on the PS3 today. Taking up to ten minutes for matchmaking, host migration issues. Lag and hit detection where unreal. Major fps drops.

Just wondered to the techies out there. Can some of these issues be fixed without a major rewrite of the code, or are we basically stuck with what we've got?

@yoopoo

I have a decent amp and headphones, and I still cant hear shit. Took me a while to adjust, well not adjust, more like just put up with and accept, that you're gonna get knifed and shot multiples times from the side and the back, and have no idea about it.

Myomoto

yoopoo said:
Played the for the first time since the patch...I still can't hear the enemy footsteps with Ninja Pro with my headphones. Anyone else having the issue?

I can 'kinda' hear peoples footsteps, but they're heavily muted as opposed to what they sounded like in MW2.

Effect

If you level up in bot training (if you can level up) does that stay with you when you play against other players? Or are there two separate leveling systems/profiles?

U2NUMB

Effect said:
If you level up in bot training (if you can level up) does that stay with you when you play against other players? Or are there two separate leveling systems/profiles?

You level up in each area.. they do not cross over at all.

Maffis

Commando is such a beast. Sucks it's all the way down at rank 44 :(
Why can't they just make everything available at start when you have prestiged. They still have cod points.

Cardigan

yoopoo said:
I can usually hear people, but the footsteps are really faint. They definitely need to boost the volume in the next update.

snap0212

dakster said:
Hellish time on the PS3 today. Taking up to ten minutes for matchmaking, host migration issues. Lag and hit detection where unreal. Major fps drops.

Just wondered to the techies out there. Can some of these issues be fixed without a major rewrite of the code, or are we basically stuck with what we've got?
With the exception of the bolded part I experience all those things every single time I play this game. :(

eek5

yoopoo said:
Not just you. You can kind of hear footsteps, only they sound nothing like footsteps and you can't tell which direction they are coming from and by the time you hear it and figure out that it is footsteps and not something else it will be too late. They need to work on it some more

LordAlu said:
The first one you could (unfortunately) put down to host advantage and the terrible hit detection, but that second one... that's some rage quit shit right there! :O

I've had the same issue with shooting people on that balcony. When I'm up there I get taken down easily enough but I've put two or three rounds into one guy on top from a similar angle in that video and he wasn't hurt at all.

FLEABttn

Banned
The connection issues on the PS3 are highly annoying. I played 4 rounds yesterday, sort of. Each one had connection issues a few minutes in and would kick everyone out to the lobby. After the fourth one I gave up and played GT5 instead.

Fix this shit Treyarch, come on now.

can someone point me to the site that has the info on hit damage, accuracy, etc. It's been posted before but I try to avoid wading through 30 pages unless I have to. Thanks.

Just had my best TDM game ever on jungle last night. 50-2 ended up with two chopper gunners. My previous record was 42-6 I think. Those chopper gunners are so devastating. That match is staying in my fileshare forever. :lol

I discoverd the AK-47/Silencer combo last night. I am really enjoying it. I also don't remember seeing it very often, wonder why?

I wasn't silencing it at first but the speed and rate that players descend on your radar marker when you use an unsilenced weapon in this game is even more extreme than MW2

I was experiencing the slow game searching yesterday, today its better. Connection Interrupted is so fucking frequent, online feels so broken.

When it does work, I've been spamming spy plane with hardline pro every two seconds. My teams have gotten better and the one time I used a different class I felt so vulnerable without it.

You would think the oppossing team would realize I'm using spy plane and switch to a ghost class, even in the lobby between matches, but no one ever does. No one adapts in cod and then they wonder why they suck or how other people could possibly go 35-4 without some luck and lag.

jonnybryce said:
I was experiencing the slow game searching yesterday, today its better. Connection Interrupted is so fucking frequent, online feels so broken.

When it does work, I've been spamming spy plane with hardline pro every two seconds. My teams have gotten better and the one time I used a different class I felt so vulnerable without it.

You would think the oppossing team would realize I'm using spy plane and switch to a ghost class, even in the lobby between matches, but no one ever does. No one adapts in cod and then they wonder why they suck or how other people could possibly go 35-4 without some luck and lag.
I actually find it shocking how few people use ghost in this game. I always have Spy Plane as my first perk and my mini-map always lights up like a Christmas tree when I use it and it just leads to so many more kills for me.

bolbronx

Am i the only one holding on to the good ol' frag grenade?

I rarely see others using it, only see the semtex.

What's the advantage of that?

Most of the time i bounce the frag off walls and dooropenings to get it where i want it

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Anerythristic said:
I discoverd the AK-47/Silencer combo last night. I am really enjoying it. I also don't remember seeing it very often, wonder why?

I wasn't silencing it at first but the speed and rate that players descend on your radar marker when you use an unsilenced weapon in this game is even more extreme than MW2

Yeah, I started using that last week. I would think if you combined that with Ghost it would be godly.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
BigBlue1974 said:
I actually find it shocking how few people use ghost in this game. I always have Spy Plane as my first perk and my mini-map always lights up like a Christmas tree when I use it and it just leads to so many more kills for me.

Well, for one, I always carry rockets, so I just shoot spy planes down.

Nizz

I was wondering where the hell this thread went. I was always looking for it in the gaming section but never found it.

dakster said:
The bolded is the same much of the time for me too. Game pissed me off so much a couple of nights ago. Saw an enemy and I started shooting him with an assault rifle but didn't get him. I switch to my Python revolver, shot at him, see the hitmarkers, all six shots connected and this guy was still moving like nothing.

Took the game out and proceeded to play PoP 08. Treyarch really dropped the ball technically on PS3. A shame since when things are working the game is fun.

purple cobra said:
Took the game out and proceeded to play PoP 08. Treyarch really dropped the ball technically on PS3. A shame since when things are working the game is fun.

Beautiful game. Absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorites from this gen.

If I'm hiding in a corner using Chopper Gunner and someone shoots me will it end my Chopper or will I respawn but continue piloting like RCXD?

BigBlue1974 said:

:lol It does light up. It's very helpful, people don't understand. I had a final kill where I ran into a hallway, aimed at the door and waited two seconds for a guy to run in. While the killcam played he freaked out "Camper! It's like he knew I was coming!"

Uh...spy plane and a little strategy?

bolbronx said:
Am i the only one holding on to the good ol' frag grenade?

I rarely see others using it, only see the semtex.

What's the advantage of that?

Most of the time i bounce the frag off walls and dooropenings to get it where i want it

Frag is a solid choice, I've died from physics + frag often such as Summit where people throw it over the middle housing and it rolls to the other side and explodes on my head. I prefer Semtex though because you have the chance to stick the enemy which happens pretty often. I feel like it blows up faster, too.

Cardigan

jonnybryce said:
If I'm hiding in a corner using Chopper Gunner and someone shoots me will it end my Chopper or will I respawn but continue piloting like RCXD?
I think you continue piloting. That situation hasn't happened to me in Black Ops, but I know that's how it was in MW2.

Top Bottom