• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

aku:jiki

Stumbled over this video of Sneakymode discussing what playing the objective is, and the logic involved in objective modes. He's a very underrated commentator (that used to be more recognized but he took a long hiatus and everbody forgot about him) who really understands the game, more people need to view his stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sejZFIh_HRU

Bonus video by him... If you enjoy goofy british accents, this video might kill you. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6b_jPwXeU

Maffis

jeffpm said:
I think you continue piloting. That situation hasn't happened to me in Black Ops, but I know that's how it was in MW2.

Yes, you speak thy truth.

Only time a killstreak ends when you die is if you have brought out a Death Machine, Grim Reaper or a Valkyrie Launcher.

jonnybryce said:
Frag is a solid choice, I've died from physics + frag often such as Summit where people throw it over the middle housing and it rolls to the other side and explodes on my head. I prefer Semtex though because you have the chance to stick the enemy which happens pretty often. I feel like it blows up faster, too.

Semtex blows up faster and can stick, but the frag has a larger blast radius and clever cooking can make it impossible to run away from. I use frags.

Cool, thanks guys. I wasted 2/3rds of my time on my last CG protecting my body in the corner from this one guy coming to get me as he hid inside and used my perspective against me. I really wouldn't care if I have a death, I just don't want to end my CG.

Maffis said:
Yes, you speak thy truth.

Only time a killstreak ends when you die is if you have brought out a Death Machine, Grim Reaper or a Valkyrie Launcher.

:lol My favorite is when they say "Oh nos, enemy death machine" and the guy runs right passed me and I take him out. Or when I take them out head on because they don't know how to use it. I've gotten 14 kills in a row with a Death Machine but I used to hate it because I was as bad with it as the people I always play against.

I like how the RC car which is a 3/2 killstreak is hard as shit to kill when its racing at you because of the CoD-Broken-netcode but my 8/7 11/10 gunner and gunship can be taken down before I get a shot off with auto-lock shit.

Every other cod game has had the first killstreak which can get you kills be at 5, why is RC car at 3? Can someone who uses the RC car tell me their Called/Killed ratio with it? My ratio for Mortar and Napalm are just awful which has led me to only use 3-8-11 or 3-8-9 and just my blackbird when I die to get back up to 9 again.

Stantron

A few questions: If I'm inside the radius of my own radar jammer, and an enemy is outside that radius, when I shoot, does it show up on the enemy radar as a blip? Also, does the jammer hide you from the blackbird?

Stantron said:
A few questions: If I'm inside the radius of my own radar jammer, and an enemy is outside that radius, when I shoot, does it show up on the enemy radar as a blip? Also, does the jammer hide you from the blackbird?

The Jammer affects the enemy's radar only when they're inside its radius. Putting yourself inside of it makes no difference. It's best when dropped near contested objectives (such as a bomb site or the B-flag in Domination). It might feel defensive, but it should actually be used offensively so that the enemy spends as much time inside of the radius as possible.

aku:jiki said:
Jammer is a portable Scrambler, not a portable Ghost.

Yeah, that.

jonnybryce said:
I've gotten 14 kills in a row with a Death Machine but I used to hate it because I was as bad with it as the people I always play against.
Share the wisdom! :D

The only way I know how to do well with it, really, is to post up close to an objective and camp like a bastard. Maybe make a slow push through their spawn if I'm very aware of the goings on in the match, but I usually only get like 3 if I try that...

Stantron said:
Jammer is a portable Scrambler, not a portable Ghost. It can't do any of those things as far as I know?

(I hate the jammer though so I'm probably wrong, so why am I even posting?)

Hubba-EX

Neo Member
jonnybryce said:
If I'm hiding in a corner using Chopper Gunner and someone shoots me will it end my Chopper or will I respawn but continue piloting like RCXD?

Its kind of funny the number of times I call in a CG I am standing in the open in the middle of the map (I literally call it straight after my 8/9 kills) and after piloting it and getting 15kills I am still alive and standing exactly where I was :lol

Stantron

divisionbyzorro said:
The Jammer affects the enemy's radar only when they're inside its radius. Putting yourself inside of it makes no difference. It's best when dropped near contested objectives (such as a bomb site or the B-flag in Domination).
Right, OK. But it sounds like the jammer could be a fairly good counter to the blackbird. Place one down nearby, then camp until blackbird leaves. If an enemy comes looking for your red arrow, they lose radar completely when they get close enough. Though if they see your static red arrow before they enter the jammer radius, then it's not that effective.

Stantron said:
Right, OK. But it sounds like the jammer could be a fairly good counter to the blackbird. Place one down nearby, then camp until blackbird leaves. If an enemy comes looking for your red arrow, they lose radar completely when they get close enough. Though if they see your static red arrow before they enter the jammer radius, then it's not that effective.

The best counter to the blackbird is the Counter Spy Plane. Decoy Grenades also work pretty well; actually, if you roll with an entire team using decoy grenades, you can seriously mess up the other team just by tossing your decoys randomly as you move around the map (they show up as arrows just like people when a blackbird is up - which doesn't make much sense, but it's true!).

divisionbyzorro said:
The best counter to the blackbird is the Counter Spy Plane. Decoy Grenades also work pretty well; actually, if you roll with an entire team using decoy grenades, you can seriously mess up the other team just by tossing your decoys randomly as you move around the map (they show up as arrows just like people when a blackbird is up - which doesn't make much sense, but it's true!).

Decoy grenades are great for throwing on teammates that are just camping in corners with claymores in front of them!

Stantron

divisionbyzorro said:
:lol Oh shit, that's good to know. An entire team of jammers would be fun as well. :D

Stumbled over this video of Sneakymode discussing what playing the objective is, and the logic involved in objective modes. He's a very underrated commentator (that used to be more recognized but he took a long hiatus and everbody forgot about him) who really understands the game, more people need to view his stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sejZFIh_HRU

Bonus video by him... If you enjoy goofy british accents, this video might kill you. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6b_jPwXeU

That first video has some helpful techniques, regardless of whether or not you agree with his dissection of community criticism. Thanks for posting it.

The second video is....kinda dumb.

I re-did the weapons section in the OP to hopefully make it more useful (not that anybody looks there after the first day of the thread :lol

Anyone want to do some quality control?

divisionbyzorro said:
I re-did the weapons section in the OP to hopefully make it more useful (not that anybody looks there after the first day of the thread :lol

You've got the Dragunov listed as a bolt action.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
divisionbyzorro said:

You could simplify it to:

"Use the Galil if you want to be on top of the scoreboard, use other weapons if that isn't important to you."

jkanownik

LeMaximilian said:
Hey, you guys wanna see some stupid shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZGnThvCSk

I saw a video where the railing rendered slowly and it started as a solid surface and then loaded layers on top of that. Since then I assume all railings are solid surfaces regardless of how they look.

I went looking for the video I saw and found this which pretty much confirms it. It only shows Crisis but the video I saw before was Havana.

There are also other examples of invisible geometry.

sweetfish said:
Why does everyone insist on capturing ALL capture points in Domination?! Drives me fucking crazy. :(

Because it really drives home how much better you are then them. I don't want to win by a couple of points, I want to embarrass your team so you can see how great at video games I am.

I just like to harass the team at their spawn point and I normally don't grab the last point until they've captured another. It's also a general rule that most of the team will defend their last capture point, so that takes some of the heat off them claiming any others.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Has Treyarch made any tweaks to the AK74U or G11 yet? I know someone from Treyarch (whoever their fourzerotwo is) said they were considering it. I feel like the 74U is really the only gun that needs to be nerfed a bit (idle sway maybe).

Aggrotek

Accidentus said:
Has Treyarch made any tweaks to the AK74U or G11 yet? I know someone from Treyarch (whoever their fourzerotwo is) said they were considering it. I feel like the 74U is really the only gun that needs to be nerfed a bit (idle sway maybe).
I think several of the guns need a bit of recoil added. It feels like none of them have much of a kick.

Man, I don't normally have any problems with the G11, but I just played a match where 4 out of 6 were rocking it and that was...oh my god, that was so fucking awful. Felt like I couldn't win any fights, their gun was better than my SMG at hipfire, better at midrange and better at long range and since it was 4 of them it felt like they were literally everywhere literally all the time. So frustrating! So yeah, maybe it needs a little nerf after all; it's not like facing a whole team of, say, Commando users feels anywhere near that frustrating!

A few matches later, I played a match where literally everybody on the enemy team had Lightweight on. That wasn't as frustrating and didn't really feel unfair per se, but holy fucking shit that meant my team had to work 5 times as hard to defend our objectives! There just wasn't any breathing room, it was just a constant cycle of speed freaks descending on us, dying, respawning and doing it again. My fingers are so sore right now...

cuevas said:
Fixed that for you
You really didn't.

VaLiancY

Looking for a group of east coast players interested in objective matches. I Can't stand deathmatch anymore and the randoms who use objective modes as TDM. Most of the maps seem better suited as objective maps anyway. Gt- valvodka

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'd love for Treyarch to tell me why the FUCK is it that when there is lag to the point of people walking like they're in a slide show and I hit the Back button and see that I and a few others still have five full green bars and everyone else has yellow/red bars? Especially when in the middle of a fucking fight?

Am I getting punished for having a good connection? I swear this fucking game gets on my nerves so damn much - when it's good, it's so fun, but when it's bad? Man I want to strangle someone. Especially when that shit happens when I'm one kill away from the SR-71 and it's not even my fault that I lost the battle.

bolbronx

I'm tired of people complaining about every kill.

Please stop using the term "gaymore".

Some dude even called me a noob yesterday for stunning him before killing him.

Seriously?

purple cobra said:
The bolded is the same much of the time for me too. Game pissed me off so much a couple of nights ago. Saw an enemy and I started shooting him with an assault rifle but didn't get him. I switch to my Python revolver, shot at him, see the hitmarkers, all six shots connected and this guy was still moving like nothing.

I live in the uk and I find that games are great during the early part of the day, then it slowly gets worse as the evening creeps in. Night time, no chance. And I use the Local only option too.

Man, I don't normally have any problems with the G11, but I just played a match where 4 out of 6 were rocking it and that was...oh my god, that was so fucking awful. Felt like I couldn't win any fights, their gun was better than my SMG at hipfire, better at midrange and better at long range and since it was 4 of them it felt like they were literally everywhere literally all the time. So frustrating! So yeah, maybe it needs a little nerf after all; it's not like facing a whole team of, say, Commando users feels anywhere near that frustrating!

I really don't understand why that gun gets such good hipfire accuracy. Simply taking that away would be enough to balance it in my book.

A few matches later, I played a match where literally everybody on the enemy team had Lightweight on. That wasn't as frustrating and didn't really feel unfair per se, but holy fucking shit that meant my team had to work 5 times as hard to defend our objectives! There just wasn't any breathing room, it was just a constant cycle of speed freaks descending on us, dying, respawning and doing it again. My fingers are so sore right now...

It could be worse - it could be an entire team of people running Second Chance Pro! :lol

Um... So this is pretty embarassing, but has anyone managed to actually post on the official CoD forums? How the hell do you do it? I'm trying on two computers on two different networks in three different browsers and I can't locate the "start thread" button to save my life, and "post a reply" just refreshes the thread and doesn't do anything else? WTF is going on? I've been a forum nerd for 10 years, how am I failing at this?! :lol

MarkMclovin said:
I live in the uk and I find that games are great during the early part of the day, then it slowly gets worse as the evening creeps in. Night time, no chance. And I use the Local only option too.
It's the americans waking up and the locale only option failing. It's what I've been saying for weeks now!

jonnybryce said:
I really don't understand these amazing lunges. Ill be 2 feet infront of a dude and I end up knifing the air with no lunge. I rarely lunge at all.
The guy teleporting isn't lunging either; he's close enough on his screen and it only looks like he's lunging on your screen.

But, yeah, GAF says this game doesn't suffer from any lag problems at all. (Yes, I'm going to keep posting that until someone on GAF eats some crow!)

Effect

Stantron said:
Knife Lunge Around a Box
I hate when this happens.

I don't even understand why melee works like that in this. It seems so unfair and doesn't really make sense. If you are next to the person you should be able to make contact. If you are away when you do it you should hit nothing but air like so many other FPS. This taking you to your target under any circumstance makes no sense.

Um... So this is pretty embarassing, but has anyone managed to actually post on the official CoD forums? How the hell do you do it? I'm trying on two computers on two different networks in three different browsers and I can't locate the "start thread" button to save my life, and "post a reply" just refreshes the thread and doesn't do anything else? WTF is going on? I've been a forum nerd for 10 years, how am I failing at this?! :lol

Why would you want to jump into that cesspool? :lol But for the record, I had the same issue when I tried just now.

Effect

The official forms are completely broken it seems. The same people post over and over again but no one need is allowed to I think. I lucked out and managed to post once and that was a reply but haven't been able to duplicate what I did again. I've tried different computers, physical locations, even from my iPod Touch and Kindle. Nothing works. Others on other forums have commented on this as well.

I wanted to post something regarding the "Thanks" people were giving to the community manager JD. It just pissed me off some of these people were thanking him for actually doing his damn job by communicating with the community what Treyarch was doing to fixing the game. That's no reason to thank him. It's his job.He isn't doing people any favors or being kid. It's what he was hired to do. They should actually be complaining he isn't doing it better. Not dropping to kiss his feet whenever he decides to grace that forum with his presence only to leave generic and vague responses at times.

divisionbyzorro said:
Why would you want to jump into that cesspool? :lol But for the record, I had the same issue when I tried just now.
I know, man! :lol It's just that MarkMcLovin's post made me realize that I'm not sure if anyone's told Treyarch that locale only isn't working that great for euros, so I thought I'd just make a thread about it and try to get them to notice... You're right though, I'm just gonna go tell JD and Vonderhaar on Twitter. Phew, that was a close one. :lol

Thanks for checking, good to know I'm not going insane! :D

Accidentus

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
It could be worse - it could be an entire team of people running Second Chance Pro!
Danger Close.... ಠ_ಠ

Smartest thing Treyarch did was take that out. I've almost never been tubed this game.

Infinity

Effect said:
I don't even understand why melee works like that in this. It seems so unfair and doesn't really make sense. If you are next to the person you should be able to make contact. If you are away when you do it you should hit nothing but air like so many other FPS. This taking you to your target under any circumstance makes no sense.
Just watched the above posted video - wild.

Makes more sense that this should be made, or fixed, into a thrown knife maneuver. Hitting air and killing an opponent should have never made it's way to production.

The top lists have started trickling in but I haven't seen any of the actually good ones start posting theirs, but now TNM and OperatorPerry finally started doing theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuKn_KgQ530

Perry's one of the only commentators who could easily just go be a radio show host, and they always have awesome clips. Worth a watch, if only for that amazing S&D quad on Nuketown!

Also, defendthehouse started the Mythbusters series for Blops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nv13PQWS5E

Unfortunately nowhere near as interesting and useful as the MW2 myths. :/

Infinity said:
Makes more sense that this should be made, or fixed, into a thrown knife maneuver. Hitting air and killing an opponent should have never made it's way to production.
Air-knives have been happening since CoD4 though, so it's not really Treyarch's or Blops fault... Or, well, I guess it is since they chose not to go in and finally fix it, but still.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
For some reason, I've hit a point where I'm kinda burned out on Black Ops.

I have 3 days+ worth of gameplay time and it's been fun but I just feel kinda "meh" about it now. In comparison, this time last year I couldn't bring myself to play anything but MW2. Black Ops just seems "ok" now that the new shiny game feel has worn off.

Kinda regret selling MW2, I'll probably pick it up used again.

I wish there was a stat that showed how many times I almost killed someone only to have a teammate come along and look at the enemy funny and get my kill. I would RULE at that stat for sure! :lol

After a couple pretty bad nights on Monday/Tuesday, I switched over and tried out the AK74U as it seems so talked about. I like it a lot though it really takes away my ability for killing people at a distance I find. My k/d did start to climb again after a bit of a spiral and I found that with the extra running speed of carrying an smg(this is right?) that I was getting to flags faster in Domination.

I really wish this game did skill-based matchmaking. Sure, my K/D would probably suffer for it, but at least I wouldn't have to lose five Domination games in a row where I was either the only player, or one of two players on my team to go positive! I've never been so furious at this game in my life. I'd much rather have to wait longer between matches (a la Halo Reach) if it meant playing with people who were actually smart and knew how to play.

So I've been switching over to FFA when playing solo. It's fun, and I've been doing really well, but it's just not nearly as exciting as the objective modes (and I don't feel like I level up nearly as fast). Although, I guess if power-leveling is my objective I should be playing more Headquarters, but I still haven't really jumped into that pool yet.

I know I really should start playing with GAFfers more so I can have some competent players on my team for once! Feel free to add me to your friends list, by the way, and shoot me an invite if you ever see me online. Gamertag is DivisionByZorro.

BigBlue1974 said:
I wish there was a stat that showed how many times I almost killed someone only to have a teammate come along and look at the enemy funny and get my kill. I would RULE at that stat for sure! :lol

My only problem with Second Chance is that I don't get the kill if a teammate kills a guy I drop into SC. So annoying. I should get the kill and he can get the assist.

Top Bottom