• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

eek5 said:
how do you aim sniper without being scoped in exactly?

Uh, just like with all the other guns it's generally a good idea with a sniper to keep your cross hairs lined up with where you think the target will be even before you scope up. Actually, probably more important because scoping up takes more time than ADS and you lose all peripheral vision.

It sort of looks like Trey want snipers to lock down an area more than chase targets with these changes. I'm pretty curious to see how the map designs facilitate this, or if snipers are just going to be useless.

eek5

Alienshogun said:
I personally believe the way they fixed it is a bit "off" though, IMO they should have just made the round fire in a random direction until the scope was actually sited in, and make the scoping in take longer.
Someone who tested it reported that that's exactly what they did. He said that after scoping in it takes 1/4s before the sniper has ADS accuracy, before that it will fire like you're firing from the hip.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
itsnervedamage said:
Uh, just like with all the other guns it's generally a good idea with a sniper to keep your cross hairs lined up with where you think the target will be even before you scope up. Actually, probably more important because scoping up takes more time than ADS and you lose all peripheral vision.

It sort of looks like Trey want snipers to lock down an area more than chase targets with these changes. I'm pretty curious to see how the map designs facilitate this, or if snipers are just going to be useless.

That's typically what a sniper is supposed to do.

eek5 said:
Someone who tested it reported that that's exactly what they did. He said that after scoping in it takes 1/4s before the sniper has ADS accuracy, before that it will fire like you're firing from the hip.

Yeah, but looking at that video it also initiates sway, and moves you from your original point of aim immediately. Perhaps I saw that wrong though.

That's good news though.

eek5

Alienshogun said:
That's typically what a sniper is supposed to do.

Yeah, but looking at that video it also initiates sway, and moves you from your original point of aim immediately. Perhaps I saw that wrong though.

That's good news though.
You should be able to drag shot or hold your breath to recenter and shoot still. It is slower and takes more skill but "quickscoping" is still possible

Alienshogun said:
It doesn't matter if it "takes skill" or not, apparently that's not how snipers were ever meant to be used (as a close range weapon), so it's been changed.

Regardless of what people are telling you, the magnification, and the "sighting in" DOES take advantage of the magnetic properties of the aim assist, allowing for an easier kill. Yes, it works for all weapons, but with a sniper and it's scope you get magnification (allowing for an easier hit) and a more powerful round.

That allows the weapon to be used as it's not meant to be, at least in Treyarch's opinion, so they changed it.

I personally believe the way they fixed it is a bit "off" though, IMO they should have just made the round fire in a random direction until the scope was actually sited in, and make the scoping in take longer.

It has always been this way, plus Treyarch effectively made the scope in time longer by taking out slight of hand pro for snipers. As far as using the sniper as a close range weapon, how often do you see guys doing that and finishing with a decent score? When trying to use the sniper as a shotgun you are at a disadvantage 99% of the time.

butts

Back in the olden days of the original Call of Duty, the game launched with snipers scoping in exactly where the middle of the screen was. Snipers were crazy easy to use during that period.

For patch 1.1 (I believe, might have been 1.2) they made scoping in place the crosshair randomly within a certain diameter of the center of the screen. This made sniping require an adjustment before firing. This lead to people having to develop the skill of scoping in and swinging the crosshairs through the opponents head to pull off quick kills.

I think it is really awesome that Treyarch implemented this same system in Black Ops. I hope it wasn't a coincidence and that they actually are balancing the game with the same mindset as the first Call of Duty.

And LOL @ "quickscoping" in MW series being skill

X26

Banned
segments-willitfloat.JPG

iNvid02

johnFkennedy said:
It has always been this way, plus Treyarch effectively made the scope in time longer by taking out slight of hand pro for snipers. As far as using the sniper as a close range weapon, how often do you see guys doing that and finishing with a decent score? When trying to use the sniper as a shotgun you are at a disadvantage 99% of the time.

most only do it to put into their montages, teenage fanboys. they dont care about winning games, or their stats, just getting those clips.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I guess there's a review embargo. I'm seriously considering getting this game for pc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
iNvidious01 said:
most only do it to put into their montages, teenage fanboys. they dont care about winning games, or their stats, just getting those clips.
I remember one game I was playing in MW2 where the guy that got the game winning kill was trying to quickscope on someone who was AFK but kept missing. The best was that he was bragging about getting a quickscope final kill even though we all saw him miss three times from point blank range before finishing the guy. :lol

Oh helll nawww the quickscoping discussion is not being resurrected I thought we moved on and the people with hurt feelings got over it already.

Hanmik

just called 2 shops.. one of them has it in stock.. but those hypocrites will not sell it before Tuesday.. the other shop only gets it´s monday, and also only sells it tuesday..

the funny thing is.. this is the fucking faroe Islands.. nobody gives a shit up here.. :lol

Hanmik said:
just called 2 shops.. one of them has it in stock.. but those hypocrites will not sell it before Tuesday.. the other shop only gets it´s monday, and also only sells it tuesday..

the funny thing is.. this is the fucking faroe Islands.. nobody gives a shit up here.. :lol
Try going in and asking to buy a copy, long ago I phone up a store for quake 3 dreamcast and they said it's not out until friday, it was a wednesday so I walked in to town and bought it from the same store.

Hanmik

Diablohead said:
Try going in and asking to buy a copy, long ago I phone up a store for quake 3 dreamcast and they said it's not out until friday, it was a wednesday so I walked in to town and bought it from the same store.

ha good idea.. will try to swing by on my way home from work. Maybe somebody has put it in the shelves, because he/she didn´t know about the date.. it´s worth a try..
and the shop is located in a building that sells all the alcohol up here (the country has some stupid alcohol restrictions, that only allows special stores to sell alcohol at ridiculos prices), so maybe I can Bribe them.. :D

johnFkennedy said:
I never got this argument. I'm pretty sure that if had a sniper rifle and I saw a guy ten feet away from me I'd be able to hit him no problem. Also, it's a VIDEO GAME!

At Ten feet the scope is useless and because of the rail mounts, you could not even use the iron sights. The reason it's hard to hit a target at 10 feet with a sniper rifle is because it is hard to do.

Just because it's a game, as you note, there has to be balance as well since sniper rifles usually have far more power than regular weapons (lol realism) that they have to be nerfed at close ranges. Can't have the gun be best at long and short range.

johnFkennedy said:
I never got this argument. I'm pretty sure that if had a sniper rifle and I saw a guy ten feet away from me I'd be able to hit him no problem.

Realistically speaking, shooting a sniper rifle from the hip will result in a dislocated shoulder. There's no such thing as no-scoping in real life and there's no such thing as shooting a sniper rifle at someone from 10 feet away, cause your sights wont help you to find your target and the giant luggy gun is a pain in the ass to carry, let alone swivel with any sense of accuracy. If you have a pair of binoculars in your home try aiming your binoculars on a spoon on the table 10 feet away from you and let me know how long it takes for you to finid that spoon and then adjust the settings so you can see it clearly. If you can get it under 15 seconds, you're pretty good...and binoculars are easier to use than a sniper scope, which is why snipers usually have an assistant with them to help them find targets.

venom2124

Brian Fellows said:
Man bots are really good shots.
I would really appreciate some impressions when you get a chance. What guns did you try, how do they feel, how do the maps play with actual competition (even if they're just bots)?

X26

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
I never got this argument. I'm pretty sure that if had a sniper rifle and I saw a guy ten feet away from me I'd be able to hit him no problem. Also, it's a VIDEO GAME!

The pros of neutering QS far outweigh the cons, that much you've gotta admit

If I sniped a lot I'd be happy about it this to be honest, at the least it means less snipers on your team fighting for good spots as well as less counter-sniping measures being taken by the other team

BattleMonkey said:
The reason it's hard to hit a target at 10 feet with a sniper rifle is because it is hard to do.

I lol'ed at this.

It seems that this sniper thing is just a matter of opinion, and as with all opinions it's very subjective so I'm just going to drop it. Let's get back to the real topic at hand. Black Ops is pretty much here!

johnFkennedy said:
I lol'ed at this.

It seems that this sniper thing is just a matter of opinion, and as with all opinions it's very subjective so I'm just going to drop it.

Nothing subjective or lol worthy. You obviously have never fired a true scoped rifle before.

X26

Banned
-Yeti said:
So, I guess stores are selling it early now?

The hunt begins.

I don't get why big games like this are released early in the week anyways, would be perfect to have a thurday or friday release

tuesday, oi, who needs it

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
BattleMonkey said:
Nothing subjective or lol worthy. You obviously have never fired a true scoped rifle before.

Lets not argue realism in CoD.

It tends to be an excuse/critique when people find it convenient, and ignored when it suits them.

BattleMonkey said:
At Ten feet the scope is useless and because of the rail mounts, you could not even use the iron sights. The reason it's hard to hit a target at 10 feet with a sniper rifle is because it is hard to do.

Just because it's a game, as you note, there has to be balance as well since sniper rifles usually have far more power than regular weapons (lol realism) that they have to be nerfed at close ranges. Can't have the gun be best at long and short range.
I'm going to go with Battle Monkey on this one, but it is CoD, so pretty much all realism goes out the window.

Kyoufu

X26 said:
I don't get why big games like this are released early in the week anyways, would be perfect to have a thurday or friday release

tuesday, oi, who needs it

Yeah but that would mean the Thursday or Friday after everyone else since PAL-land gets the shaft usually. I will take Tuesday releases!

BattleMonkey said:

Pretty much what AlienShogun said. Plus, I wasn't laughing at anything you had said, just at that particular phrasing. "It's hard because it's hard" haha :D

Ramirez

Maybe it's the YT quality masking something, but this game looks tons better than MW2 to me, specifically the lighting.

aku:jiki

Alienshogun said:
Regardless of what people are telling you, the magnification, and the "sighting in" DOES take advantage of the magnetic properties of the aim assist, allowing for an easier kill. Yes, it works for all weapons, but with a sniper and it's scope you get magnification (allowing for an easier hit) and a more powerful round.
No, regardless of what people are telling you, that's not how quickscoping works. There is no snap, the aim assist does not "take over." This is completely infactual. I know this argument is old and dead, but you guys keep bringing it up with this ridiculous nonsense and it's bothering me. Why can't we just base our discussions on the facts? That's so much more productive!

I mean, if what you guys say about quickscoping is true, how the hell is this guy doing what he does in this PC montage? He's playing on PC, so how can he possibly be an even more badass quickscoper than console players, if quickscoping is just using the auto-aim to snap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJWfJRAB-DI (Can't play at work so I can't link to the exact clip, but it's pretty early in the montage. It's the first clip after it switches the player portrait in the bottom right corner.)

Najaf

buy teh haloz said:
It's impossible to boost in wager matches, right?

Well, seeing as they are all FFA modes with no tactical insertions, it would be mighty hard to find your buddy over and over to trade kills. So, yeah, its going to be very difficult.

Top Bottom