• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Hanmik

Blutonium said:
Ballistic knife only has two knifes am I right? Not too big of a deal to me, if the guy missed he's fucked.

the ballistic knife can only shoot twice.. but you can Knife over and over.. (If I´m not mistaken)

itsgreen

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Disabled in FFA and Wager Matches, so the probability for boosting is lower.

And with theater mode and the ability to flag someone who didnt obey the rules, they can get easily punished...

Hanmik

zero margin said:
How is that any different than the knife you already have?

because this knife can shoot a blade at distances..? ehhh

ok maybe I got it wrong..
here is COD wiki´s description of the Ballistic Knife.

When drawn, players can fire the knife's blade, which results in a silent one hit kill, much like the Throwing Knife and Tomahawk. It is also much like Throwing Knife or Tomahawk in the sense that the blades will drop below the aimed point at distance. Blades can be picked back up and reloaded into the handle to be used again even though more than one blade can be carried at a time. It does not replace the normal melee knife, which is still wielded with the left hand during melee attacks. Killing a player with the Ballistic Knife's ranged attack gives the player the message "Skewer" at the top of the screen.
The Ballistic Knife is one of the few available weapons in the new Sticks and Stones playlist in Black Ops, along with the Crossbow and Tomahawk. The Ballistic Knife is the Tier 20 weapon, the final one used, in Gun Game.

It is a secondary at Create a Class 2.0 and is unlocked at level 15[citation needed].

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I just noticed that Josh Olin's avatar on twitter is him wearing a shirt that says "Dedicated Servers" :lol

fucking awesome.

Hanmik said:
because this knife can shoot a blade at distances..? ehhh

ok maybe I got it wrong..
here is COD wiki´s description of the Ballistic Knife.

No, I understand that but the way you said it gave me the impression the knife itself was different. I realize it can shoot a couple times. Honestly I don't think it's going to be a problem, it doesn't look that easy to hit someone from a distance with it.

Hanmik

zero margin said:
No, I understand that but the way you said it gave me the impression the knife itself was different. I realize it can shoot a couple times. Honestly I don't think it's going to be a problem, it doesn't look that easy to hit someone from a distance with it.

ok.. I think people are worried that the Lunge of the ballistic Knife, is faster and longer than the lunge with the normal melee knife.

Hixx

I'm beginning to think Gun Game will be my favourite mode. I imagine it will be quick and dirty and give a proper adrenaline rush towards the end. At the very least a fun distraction from domination or headquarters. Infact the wager matches as a whole excite me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Treyarch's gonna look stupid if they don't put reverse gun game in at some point. If you are gonna steal a gamemode from another game, don't half ass it. And reverse gun game makes more sense in a way.

Hanmik said:
ok.. I think people are worried that the Lunge of the ballistic Knife, is faster and longer than the lunge with the normal melee knife.

oh, that's the concern I see. That wouldn't be so good probably. :lol

How sad is it that there's patches to fix issues with games before they even launch? I guess I'm glad they're fixing shit but I'm still sadden by the state of video games now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
grap3fruitman said:
How sad is it that there's patches to fix issues with games before they even launch? I guess I'm glad they're fixing shit but I'm still sadden by the state of video games now.
This is something they've mentioned for a while now. I assume they were still tweaking it but didn't have it done before the game went gold. I'm fine with day 1 patches and pre-day 1 patches since it's simply a case of devs using some extra time without having to delay a game. It's when a game is shipped in an unplayable state that it really pisses me off.

iNvid02

found this too - everyone has different ideas

sshot1.png

iNvidious01 said:
apparently a new patch arrived today to do what was promised. the sniper aimer is now at a random position when zooming in (you have to manually adjust it to your target), whereas before it was aigned up for you and you just had to tap R1 to kill. Looks like they lived up to their word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-6oY_fi5I&hd=1

Awesome!

Now all they need to do is take out firing whilst dolphin diving and we have a winner.

grap3fruitman said:

That's not sad at all. With games that have a set development time and must be shipped, there will always be gameplay issues and bugs that will crop up after the game is already being pressed. It's just how it works.

I work for a large hardware manufacturer and work directly with developers on the code that run our machines. We often are already building and testing the first update for a piece of hardware a couple of months before it even launches.

Kyoufu

grap3fruitman said:

Eh I don't think you understand what this "fix" is for. It takes away Quick Scope. Not a bug but a dirty trick used by people to get kills with sniper rifles up close. I can't remember if COD4 or WaW had this but QS was pretty lethal in MW2. Glad they nerfed it.

blurredvision said:
That's not sad at all. With games that have a set development time and must be shipped, there will always be gameplay issues and bugs that will crop up after the game is already being pressed. It's just how it works.
Yes, it is sad. Companies just care about releasing products as soon as possible and whether or not something works is not a concern. If you're going to release something, release it correctly.

Alucrid

Banned
Amazon brought back the $20 promo credit in the form of a 200 point bonus. Does this apply to me if I have the 'laser cell' copy preordered?

X26

Banned
oh no, what about all those poor souls playing s&d who rely on quick scopes to make their amazing montages!?!?

lawl

iNvid02

grap3fruitman said:
Yes, it is sad. Companies just care about releasing products as soon as possible and whether or not something works is not a concern. If you're going to release something, release it correctly.

Activision are the ones who set deadlines - they are interested in only money.

That's why a new COD is coming same time next year. If the developers had no time limits
they would probably churn out one game every 2-3 years - and it would be amazing

grap3fruitman said:

The meaning of "correctly" has changed. Games are much more competitive as far as quality these days, people just rip them apart a lot more. If a game is full of bugs, it will get lower review scores which leads to lower sales (with the exception of some games, i.e. MoH). The fact that these things can and are expected to get fixed even after a game is launched, is a good thing.

grap3fruitman said:

While that sounds like a novel idea, the real world doesn't always work like that. Video games may be fun for you, but it's still a cut-throat business out to make money. If you don't agree with a developer supporting a game even after it's gone gold, then I would suggest you vote with your wallet.

Maffis said:
lightweight + ballistic knife = abuse incoming

oh god, why treyarch?

More people bitching before the game's even out - smh.

Ballistic knife doesn't have any more "lunge" than the regular knife. It only has two shots, requires a reload between them, and requires pretty damn good accuracy to hit with those shots. I know it reminds you of some nightmarish times in Modern Warfare 2, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape until we see what it's actually like out in the wild

grap3fruitman said:

So wrong! In a game about multiplayer, where your player base literally has to have internet access to enjoy your product, the only thing that matters is that the game works on release day when you turn it on. It doesn't matter whether that comes from the disc or from a "day zero" patch.

Stallion Free said:
Treyarch's gonna look stupid if they don't put reverse gun game in at some point. If you are gonna steal a gamemode from another game, don't half ass it. And reverse gun game makes more sense in a way.
Oh yes please, always great fun to play it with reverse rules now and again.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The store I get my early games from just got Black Ops in - I had already planned to price-match for 39 bones on November 9th at another store, and unless things have changed, I'm sure the store will charge the full 60 for this, at best they'll give me a 5 euro discount and the guide for free like they usually do, which I'm not really willing to do right now. I'll see what I do.

Leaving to go to the city to even see if the price-match will work at the other store I had in mind - as much as I want to buy Black Ops, I don't feel like paying full price when I've been getting so many good games on the cheap the last few months, and besides, from what I hear, the 360 servers still aren't even up yet to begin with.

And people, at least wait till the game is out before you start crying about things that are in/not in the game - reading all that bitching and accusations about no PS3 regional search only to read that it IS in is embarrassing to see. Same with the ballistic knife. Shit.

Blutonium

Any Dutchies from the Randstad here? Media Markt in Zoetermeer and The Hague will sell it for 49 euro's, if you pre-order you get an additional 10% discount.

grap3fruitman said:

Think of it this way if they had waited to ship the title until these types of bugs were fixed they would be shipping it in a week or two instead of a week or two ago, they know the timing of this stuff and as long as the game, day one, can be played properly with no game killing bugs, it's fine.

Remember when you think of this 'state of video games' now it's like... you remember games way back when. no online bullshit so not only is it a great deal less complex coding for 16 online players with classes, perks, etc than 4 player GE007, but also it's less of a big deal for a huge bug to be in an old school game, like if your buddy is exploiting a bug you just punch him in the arm, if xXsnipek1ll@Xx is exploiting a bug it ruins everyones fun online.

And also you're ignoring all the woefully shitty games that came out horribly buggy, and ignoring the good games that were kinda buggy but never fixed, you just dealt with the bugs because fuck- you already have it. Super Mario 64 had bugs that let you beat the game in like 4 minutes, people would be screaming bloody murder if that happened these days.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Blutonium said:
Any Dutchies from the Randstad here? Media Markt in Zoetermeer and The Hague will sell it for 49 euro's, if you pre-order you get an additional 10% discount.

Hmmmm, that works out to be the same 39 euros that I read that MM Almere will have, and I wanted to price-match it to my Media Markt, hmmmmm!

I was already planning to leave in a while to ask about it, now I'll see if they have this deal as well, and if so, it's pre-order time :)

regs

Grrr, I should be happy that Gun Game is in this as it's my favorite game to play but I am pissed off because for some reason I think blackops will ruin it for me lol

teacupcopter said:
And also you're ignoring all the woefully shitty games that came out horribly buggy, and ignoring the good games that were kinda buggy but never fixed, you just dealt with the bugs because fuck- you already have it. Super Mario 64 had bugs that let you beat the game in like 4 minutes, people would be screaming bloody murder if that happened these days.
Agreed! Games will have bugs, it's just how it works. What is important to me is how quickly the developer can react and fix those bugs. Hopefully there won't be too many gamebreakers and if there are some that Treyarch gets on them quickly.

So Coolshop sent my copy yesterday apparently. I know i'll probably get it tomorrow, but i'm not excited, and here's why: Steamworks is good and all, but it locks you out of playing the game that I bought until Valve decides to 'unlock' it. Happened with Mafia II which I got three days early, and will happen with this I bet. Fucking Steam, the holiday sales better be good, otherwise Gabe is off the Christmas card list.

People that bitched about commando in mw2 never bothered to use their heads to counter it. It was a perk...you had to sacrifice a perk (predominantly silent stealth) to use it. All you had to do is listen and you could counter every stupid non-ninja runner that thinks he can get 5 feet from me. Shotgun secondaries countered commando (not an option for BO). Stepping away from corners and being patient countered commando. Heart beat sensors countered commando (again not an option here). It was easy to do, you just had to use your brainstem.

In black ops, I turn on lightweight AND ninja pro and still have a lunge AND have an insta-kill throwing knife also just in case I get caught mid-range from someone that knows how to counter my close quarter intentions. And what do I need to sacrifice for such a power? A pistol. That's it. Don't even have to sacrifice equipment or a single flashbang. Wow. Gee, that's a tough choice.

Blutonium

Mr. B Natural said:
People that bitched about commando in mw2 never bothered to use their heads to counter it. It was a perk...you had to sacrifice a perk (predominantly silent stealth) to use it. All you had to do is listen and you could counter every stupid non-ninja runner that thinks he can get 5 feet from me. Shotgun secondaries countered commando (not an option for BO). Stepping away from corners and being patient countered commando. Heart beat sensors countered commando (again not an option here). It was easy to do, you just had to use your brainstem.

In black ops, I turn on lightweight AND ninja pro and still have a lunge AND have an insta-kill throwing knife also just in case I get caught mid-range from someone that knows how to counter my close quarter intentions. And what do I need to sacrifice for such a power? A pistol. That's it. Don't even have to sacrifice equipment or a single flashbang. Wow. Gee, that's a tough choice.

Yeah but Stopping Power is gone and the lunge is waaay shorter than the Commando one. So now when I see some asshole running at me I can actually drop his ass instead of getting insta-lunged from 30 meters.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Commando never seemed to be too much of an issue on PC. I guess it's too easy to whip around and when you are playing hardcore (a real man's mode) you hardly have to shoot to kill them as they lunge. I mean you could probably sneeze and kill them.

Blutonium said:
Yeah but Stopping Power is gone and the lunge is waaay shorter than the Commando one. So now when I see some asshole running at me I can actually drop his ass instead of getting insta-lunged from 30 meters.

Stopping power helped to counter commando so I don't see your point there.

^ Stall, commando was never an issue in HC with any platform. It isn't that people couldn't get the shot off in regular mode, it was that they didn't give themselves enough space in between the commando enemy and himself. Which, btw, is really remedial stuff, but most COD players couldn't figure it out. It's like people bitching about pyros in tf2.

Blutonium said:
Ballistic knife only has two knifes am I right? Not too big of a deal to me, if the guy missed he's fucked.

You can pick up your knives if they miss and reload them. Not sure if you can pick up knives that you score a hit with.

Mr. B Natural said:

You make it sound like insta-killing from mid range will be easy. The vids I've seen seem to suggest otherwise, especially if your opponent is strafing at all.

X26 said:
oh no, what about all those poor souls playing s&d who rely on quick scopes to make their amazing montages!?!?

lawl

They will suffer, as will people who just enjoy quick scoping in general.

Why not fix noob tubes, a problem im sure people are more vocal about!?!?

lawl

Top Bottom