• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

shichishito said:
You make it sound like insta-killing from mid range will be easy. The vids I've seen seem to suggest otherwise, especially if your opponent is strafing at all.

I never said it will be easy, but it's a stupid addition for the runner class to even have the possibilty to insta-kill someone at mid range. Why give a pyro a sniper rifle even if it does only have 2 bullets? If you get caught running with your knife out then you should get caught running with your knife out.

And why would you strafe a runner? You're only gonna make the guy that's running straight at you a harder target to hit.

And I have no real problem with the ballistic knife in black ops IF it involved sacrificing to use it. Sacrificing my pistol for it seems like a no brainer to me in anything but HC modes.

Blutonium

Mr. B Natural said:
Stopping power helped to counter commando so I don't see your point there.

^ Stall, commando was never an issue in HC with any platform. It isn't that people couldn't get the shot off in regular mode, it was that they didn't give themselves enough space in between the commando enemy and himself. Which, btw, is really remedial stuff, but most COD players couldn't figure it out. It's like people bitching about pyros in tf2.

When you lunge you cannot be hit, atleast that's my experience.

Loxley

bobs99 ... said:
They will suffer, as will people who just enjoy quick scoping in general.

Why not fix noob tubes, a problem im sure people are more vocal about!?!?

lawl

Uh, they are; in quite a few ways actually. Flak Jacket, chiefly. In addition to Scavenger not resupplying noob tube grenades and OMA not being in BO.

Blutonium said:
When you lunge you cannot be hit, atleast that's my experience.

This is true and that's why Commando is much easier to counter in HC than in regular mode. Cause you will hit your enemy with 1 bullet but the second bullet wont count (if the lunge starts at that point). In HC, he would have died. In regular, he lunges and kills you. Stopping power = needs 1 less bullet to kill...so stopping power helped to counter commando in regular modes. The trick was to keep a little more distance between you and the loud CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP sound coming after you/red dot in your heart beat sensor or UAV coming after you. Wasn't hard to counter at all.

If you could get hit while lunging then commando would have been the most useless perk in cod history. It still was useless againist people that knew what they were doing...but at least the way it was in mw2, you could grief the hell out of people that didn't and maybe go 8 and 12 in a good match.

Mr. B Natural said:
And why would you strafe a runner? You're only gonna make the guy that's running straight at you a harder target to hit.

So he won't...you know...one hit kill you by shooting his ballistic knife?

If a runner is running at me, they no longer have that great lunge, so I will kill him easily during his approach. If he stops running to shoot his knife, then I strafe, in which case, it will be easier for me to shoot him with my gun than him to hit me with his ballistic knife. If I get killed in either case, then the match is either laggy as fuck or I was completely outskilled. I can understand both.

I don't understand shooting a runner on another building on Favela, having him teleport across his building onto mine while I'm still shooting and dying because none of my shots register due to invincibility super lunge.

iNvidious01 said:
apparently a new patch arrived today to do what was promised. the sniper aimer is now at a random position when zooming in (you have to manually adjust it to your target), whereas before it was aigned up for you and you just had to tap R1 to kill. Looks like they lived up to their word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-6oY_fi5I&hd=1

Such bullshit. Treyarch:"Let's punish those that have good aim with snipers by making it extra hard for them to be accurate. YES! BRILLIANT!"

johnFkennedy said:
Such bullshit. Treyarch:"Let's punish those that have good aim with snipers by making it extra hard for them to be accurate. YES! BRILLIANT!"

All it means that you have to do fine aim while scoped instead of doing it while unscoped. dealwithit.gif

bobs99 ... said:

lawl

Noob tubes are going to be a non-issue for decent players in BO. They are not refillable and can be counteracted with flak jacket.

Najaf

johnFkennedy said:

Treyarch: "Let's make sniper rifles be effective at medium and long range and rather terrible up close; kind of like the real world. YES! BRILLIANT"

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
God no one in NYC getting this game early...aaarggghhh

Really wanted as a surprise present for someone, give it to them couple of days early to enjoy over the weekend

PS3 Hardened Edition Where Are You?

iNvid02

johnFkennedy said:

Its to counter quick scoping which im sure everyone is familiar with.

People run round with snipers, aim in for a slight second, and because of AIM ASSIST the target is in the right place, and all they need to do is press R1 to get the kill. Now they will probably still run round with a sniper, zoom in for a slight second, but they will have to manually adjust the aimer on the target because it will be in a random position each time they zoom in. For normal people who don't attempt trickshots, it means when you first zoom in there will be a bit more sway, but at medium/long range its fine

johnFkennedy said:
How could you tell if you had good aim vs. being aided by aim assist?

If you have great aim, then you should be able to line up your shot shortly after scoping in. Sounds skillful to me and something I can respect.

I scored an early copy last night for 360 and spent 3.5 - 4 hours playing the single player. It's much better than MW2 and the story is told in a very unique way compared to past COD's. It's also refreshingly much lighter on the military machismo. Some of the characters are surprisingly interesting, I don't think that's ever happened in a COD game. By COD standards, this game has the most interesting story by a long shot; by standards in games in general, its notable in the way that it's told and is interestingly establishes a strong background/history among the main characters.

In terms of gameplay, you know what to expect; entirely linear levels, lots of (awesome) scripted events, huge splosions, more weapons in a single level than you might see in some entire games - tons of fucking weapons, and a nice variety that ads a dynamic layer on an otherwise linear game.

Please put the mp servers online. please.

MrCompletely said:
I scored an early copy last night for 360 and spent 3.5 - 4 hours playing the single player. It's much better than MW2 and the story is told in a very unique way compared to past COD's. It's also refreshingly much lighter on the military machismo. Some of the characters are surprisingly interesting, I don't think that's ever happened in a COD game. By COD standards, this game has the most interesting story by a long shot; by standards in games in general, its notable in the way that it's told and is interestingly establishes a strong background/history among the main characters.

In terms of gameplay, you know what to expect; entirely linear levels, lots of (awesome) scripted events, huge splosions, more weapons in a single level than you might see in some entire games - tons of fucking weapons, and a nice variety that ads a dynamic layer on an otherwise linear game.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know about the single player. I was hoping it was going to be awesome. Sounds like it is!

thank you treyarch

cameltoe

bobs99 ... said:

lawl

They did...its called flak jacket

cameltoe

MrCompletely said:

my copy is at home waiting for me! Cant wait!

Maffis

cameltoe said:
They did...its called flak jacket

Don't forget the removal of OMA and the nerfing of Scavenger and allowing the player to unlock any attachment he wants and not the noobtube first by default.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I can't control the RCXD for shit.

Also the motion sensor is more of portable limited range UAV because people show up even if they aren't moving.

The reasons I don't fear "Super Soldier" classes in Black Ops:

1) In MW2 these guys moved like cars which made them basically immune to Claymores. Claymores detonate immediately now, so they'll be easier to set traps for. Their only defense is equipping Flak Jacket over Lightweight, crippling the point of their class.

2) Ballistic knives. Think about how hard it was to hit a moving target with a throwing knife. They no longer can carry that convenient handgun. They're gimped to their knives, equipment, and grenades. If they want ammo they'll either have to once again drop Lightweight for Scavenger or play hide and go seek with every knife they shoot.

3) There have been no evidence of the ridiculous 4+ feet lunges (which got even more ridiculous with Commando) from MW2, the BIGGEST problem with this class. Given how Treyarch nerfed CoD4's lunge for WaW I am optimistic that if distance becomes a problem they'll tone it back a bit.

X26

Banned
johnFkennedy said:

being able to quick scope is one of the more illogical aspects of previous games. The crosshairs being exactly on the middle of the screen when you scope is ridiculous, I mean the games aren't exactly realistic but who wants that cyborg-esqe precision in the game

divisionbyzorro said:
All it means that you have to do fine aim while scoped instead of doing it while unscoped. dealwithit.gif

It doesn't look too bad for normal sniping although depending on what it takes to get an OHK I am a little worried about being able to snipe at all in this game. Is the distance in that video really the distance that QSing is a problem? I don't see how that sway does more to fix close range QSing than it does to make getting a distance snipe harder.

I hope Trey is willing to tweak weapon balance in general after the game is out. I do know I can't wait to get my hands on the game to research the hell out of it though ;D.

I just found out that the Skorpion apparently has a grip attachment and now I'm really wondering what the point of that is. Sounds like the most useless gun/attachment combo ever.

Maffis

divisionbyzorro said:
More people bitching before the game's even out - smh.

Ballistic knife doesn't have any more "lunge" than the regular knife. It only has two shots, requires a reload between them, and requires pretty damn good accuracy to hit with those shots. I know it reminds you of some nightmarish times in Modern Warfare 2, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape until we see what it's actually like out in the wild

It's more than that. It's the fact that it shoots in a much more straight pattern than a normal throwing knife and it insta-kills. But it's also the fact that it swings twice as fast as the normal knife. The knife build will still exist, and from that movie the lunge is still too much - normal knife and ballistic - both of them.

eek5

johnFkennedy said:
how do you aim sniper without being scoped in exactly?

Loxley said:
Uh, they are; in quite a few ways actually. Flak Jacket, chiefly. In addition to Scavenger not resupplying noob tube grenades and OMA not being in BO.

:lol

I feel like an idiot, but im happy because noob tubes will be nerfed. :D

itsnervedamage said:
It doesn't look too bad for normal sniping although depending on what it takes to get an OHK I am a little worried about being able to snipe at all in this game. Is the distance in that video really the distance that QSing is a problem? I don't see how that sway does more to fix close range QSing than it does to make getting a distance snipe harder.

I hope Trey is willing to tweak weapon balance in general after the game is out. I do know I can't wait to get my hands on the game to research the hell out of it though ;D.

This.

Thisthisthisthisthis.

iNvidious01 said:
Its to counter quick scoping which im sure everyone is familiar with.

People run round with snipers, aim in for a slight second, and because of AIM ASSIST the target is in the right place, and all they need to do is press R1 to get the kill. Now they will probably still run round with a sniper, zoom in for a slight second, but they will have to manually adjust the aimer on the target because it will be in a random position each time they zoom in. For normal people who don't attempt trickshots, it means when you first zoom in there will be a bit more sway, but at medium/long range its fine

Listen I don't want to bring back the quickscoping debate so I'm just going to make one last post and end it. First off, it's not as easy as zoom in, let aim assist take over, and hit R1. As has been stated before by guys like like Aku, and is contrary to popular belief, quickscoping actually requires skill to be efficient at. Plus, decent snipers don't rely on it when trying to get kills, but rather it's like a backup tool for when you unexpectedly get rushed by a non-sniper. To those saying it'll get rid of the kids that do nothing but try to go for l33t montage clips while going 2-19 and costing your team the game, I say those kids are going to be around regardless, if not with snipers then with ballistic knives and crossbows. I understand that they wanted to make quickscoping harder because it can seem unfair at times for the opponent to have a OHK weapon, but I feel that they did just that by making the zoom in time for snipers longer.

On a side note, iNvidious I've seen your youtube videos. Little bit of constructive criticism, speak up. :D

krazen

shichishito said:
You make it sound like insta-killing from mid range will be easy. The vids I've seen seem to suggest otherwise, especially if your opponent is strafing at all.

Yeah, we forget in the knife monkey world the game launched you perfectly towards your opening: your still going to have to aim here and pretty perfectly or else ya smoked since there seems to be lag.

Seems it would almost be better to have a heavy pistol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
pistolpete2940 said:
Im sure its been mentioned but, are secondary weapons limited to pistols again? Or is it still pistols, shotguns, launchers, etc.?
Shotguns are no longer secondary. I know that there are pistols and launchers. I'm not sure about others.

pistolpete2940 said:
Im sure its been mentioned but, are secondary weapons limited to pistols again? Or is it still pistols, shotguns, launchers, etc.?

Pistols, launchers, ballistic knife and portal

no portal

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game breaking bug

Such fucking unacceptable bullshit. This is why you need to have an open beta for a game like this.

Sorry of old :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
johnFkennedy said:
Listen I don't want to bring back the quickscoping debate so I'm just going to make one last post and end it. First off, it's not as easy as zoom in, let aim assist take over, and hit R1. As has been stated before by guys like like Aku, and is contrary to popular belief, quickscoping actually requires skill to be efficient at. Plus, decent snipers don't rely on it when trying to get kills, but rather it's like a backup tool for when you unexpectedly get rushed by a non-sniper. To those saying it'll get rid of the kids that do nothing but try to go for l33t montage clips while going 2-19 and costing your team the game, I say those kids are going to be around regardless, if not with snipers then with ballistic knives and crossbows. I understand that they wanted to make quickscoping harder because it can seem unfair at times for the opponent to have a OHK weapon, but I feel that they did just that by making the zoom in time for snipers longer.

On a side note, iNvidious I've seen your youtube videos. Little bit of constructive criticism, speak up. :D

It doesn't matter if it "takes skill" or not, apparently that's not how snipers were ever meant to be used (as a close range weapon), so it's been changed.

Regardless of what people are telling you, the magnification, and the "sighting in" DOES take advantage of the magnetic properties of the aim assist, allowing for an easier kill. Yes, it works for all weapons, but with a sniper and it's scope you get magnification (allowing for an easier hit) and a more powerful round.

That allows the weapon to be used as it's not meant to be, at least in Treyarch's opinion, so they changed it.

I personally believe the way they fixed it is a bit "off" though, IMO they should have just made the round fire in a random direction until the scope was actually sited in, and make the scoping in take longer.

Top Bottom