• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I will not prestige I will not prestige I will not prestige

Emblems mean nothing Emblems mean nothing Emblems mean nothing

DRE Fei

RSTEIN said:
I will not prestige I will not prestige I will not prestige

Emblems mean nothing Emblems mean nothing Emblems mean nothing
LOL, I know how you feel man but I always do it anyway. Perks are so easy to get now! I've already lost major pro perks already prestiging twice, so I figured I might as well keep going.

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
I prestiged once and regretted it. Not doing it again.

I just can't let go of the pro perks. They just take too much damn time. If I could keep my perks I would do it in a second.

corkscrewblow said:
So I haven't played in over a week... from what I'm reading the patch makes the lag WORSE? Treyarch :lol :lol :lol

Trading it in today. I took a few days off to cool down popped it back in, its worse than before for me. I am not going to lie and say I did not often have a good time. Treyarch IMO had better ideas than IW in MW2.

jedimike

Are the post patch issues described above on PS3, 360, or both?

As far as ElPresador's rant goes, the matchmaking is spot on but uncommon. Most games are equal and if unbalanced, will properly fill. On occasion they don't and I'm not sure why. I ended up on a 4 against me match on firing range. I was pissed at first but figured Wtf and went for it John J. Rambo style. I beat them down and all 4 rage quit. It ended up being one of my most memorable COD experiences.

I don't really care about hit detection. It's only off in the kill cam which is fine. As long as the "math" behind the kills are working in game, then it's all good. IMO, in game hit detection is better in game with Blops (no shooting around corners) but worse on kill cam which is irrelevant anyway.

luoapp

jedimike said:
Are the post patch issues described above on PS3, 360, or both?

As far as ElPresador's rant goes, the matchmaking is spot on but uncommon. Most games are equal and if unbalanced, will properly fill. On occasion they don't and I'm not sure why. I ended up on a 4 against me match on firing range. I was pissed at first but figured Wtf and went for it John J. Rambo style. I beat them down and all 4 rage quit. It ended up being one of my most memorable COD experiences.

I don't really care about hit detection. It's only off in the kill cam which is fine. As long as the "math" behind the kills are working in game, then it's all good. IMO, in game hit detection is better in game with Blops (no shooting around corners) but worse on kill cam which is irrelevant anyway.

I always prefer one vs muti situation. Think about that, even they are all better players than you, you are still so much easier to get a killstreak since they have to share the kills.

RSTEIN

I just entered this crazy match on Havana.

I enter the game, see the score is like 7400-1200 and it didn't really register. My mind must have switched the 7 for a 1 or the 1 for a 7, cause I didn't notice right away. So I spawn by the fountain area and see all these dead dogs on the ground. I swear, it was like Walking Dead. Very quiet. Then I see a care package come in, spy plane go up. I'm like WTF is happening. I'm still looking at all the dead dogs then these two guys come out of nowhere and kill me. While I'm waiting to respawn I check the score and THEN it hits me it's 7400(now 7500)-1200.

It was massacre. I never did see a teammate despite it being a full room. I think they were hiding in a room somewhere :lol :lol

U2NUMB

divisionbyzorro said:
They also have an easier job of matchmaking because they don't do join-in-progress. All they have to do is build a waiting queue and match players from that queue together. Players already in a lobby (or already in_game) don't have to be pinged by the matchmaking service.

While I understand what you are saying my group can hardly get into a lobby when not joining in progress. Pulling everyone into a lobby waiting to play a game is a nightmare. That should never be a problem.

GeekyDad

For PS3 users, there's possible hope:

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=360685&sid=nmffjsqbo5muhq6ngahvjkc9l5

There's a claim that erasing both the save data and game data utility, the online performance is greatly improved. I haven't tested it, but I have been keeping a close eye on the forums over there. Supposedly, this fix was also recommended by Vahn in a post elsewhere. The full instructions are in the thread linked above. Another thread, however, claims you don't need to delete the save data, just the game data utility. Again, I'm not attesting to any of this. Just letting folks know what some others are saying.

GeekyDad said:

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=360685&sid=nmffjsqbo5muhq6ngahvjkc9l5

There's a claim that erasing both the save data and game data utility, the online performance is greatly improved. I haven't tested it, but I have been keeping a close eye on the forums over there. Supposedly, this fix was also recommended by Vahn in a post elsewhere. The full instructions are in the thread linked above. Another thread, however, claims you don't need to delete the save data, just the game data utility. Again, I'm not attesting to any of this. Just letting folks know what some others are saying.

If I'm reading this right, there's a bug that causes the PS3 patcher process to load the patch into the wrong place? If true, that's hilarious, and will likely involve some serious Treyarch/Sony finger-pointing. :lol

Can some PS3 users here confirm? If this trick really does improve performance, it might be new-thread-worthy to get the word out.

I think quick scoping is back. I just played a match where a sniper was on the front lines and the only way he fired was ADS with a quick shot. He had the highest score on their team

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
RSTEIN said:
I just can't let go of the pro perks. They just take too much damn time. If I could keep my perks I would do it in a second.

Same here I didn't even see a fucking Sentry gun to destroy until level 41.

I see them quite a bit in PC version, so I got ghost pro early on. I haven't grinded the aircraft one yet on this prestige even though I've had a sentry kill for along time (been playing search). :\ Ghost Pro and Hacker Pro should be a good mix for Sentries.

divisionbyzorro said:
You have to seed one yourself in a Free for All. If you're dedicated, you'll get it pretty quickly.
Also having the Hacker perk helps as well so that you'll be able to spot it easier. Getting the pro-perks can be pretty lopsided too. I found getting the pro version of Hardline is so easy, literally can meet all the requirements in 1 game or maybe 2. Meanwhile Ghost can be a pain as shooting down the 30 air supports isn't the easiest when you just have the Law until level 30.

Oh and I had one other thought about the PS3 fix posted above. I wonder if the reason some PS3 users are not having issues is because they've never actually played the single player so for them the patch DID install into the correct area? I know I played some of the single player so I'm excited to get home and try and see if this fix will work!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:
You have to seed one yourself in a Free for All. If you're dedicated, you'll get it pretty quickly.

Yeah but that involves playing FFA and being able to actually get the Sentry gun with these poorly designed levels and shitty re-spawns. Then staying alive long enough for the other fucker to put out the sentry gun.

EDIT: Trying the fix now. Patch is downloading.

BigBlue1974 said:
Also having the Hacker perk helps as well so that you'll be able to spot it easier. Getting the pro-perks can be pretty lopsided too. I found getting the pro version of Hardline is so easy, literally can meet all the requirements in 1 game or maybe 2. Meanwhile Ghost can be a pain as shooting down the 30 air supports isn't the easiest when you just have the Law until level 30.
You need to start shooting down more UAVs. Just takes one LAW rocket

I remember in MW2 everyone complained about getting coldblooded pro but I didn't have any problem because I always made sure to shoot down UAVs and Counter-UAVs.

Unless for some weird reason UAVs and Counter UAVs don't count as air support like they did in MW2.

You want to talk about a Pro perk being a pain in the ass to unlock? Tactical Mask requires you get 20 kills against people poisoned by your Nova Gas grenade. You literally will have to spawn around 20 times just to get the chance to get the pro perk.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
BigBlue1974 said:
Meanwhile Ghost can be a pain as shooting down the 30 air supports isn't the easiest when you just have the Law until level 30.

Try playing barebones classic where everyone is locked into using spyplanes. You can get 6 or 7 a level pretty easy.

Played a good deal last night. I'm much more happy with sniping now. It's still never gonna be a huge factor for most people outside of maps like array and maybe jungle and such but its a lot better now in general.

Stoney Mason said:
Played a good deal last night. I'm much more happy with sniping now. It's still never gonna be a huge factor for most people outside of maps like array and maybe jungle and such but its a lot better now in general.

Great to hear. Now they need to just buff the shotguns and add idle sway to the following:

- AK74u
- Galil
- M16 with ACOG

TestOfTide said:
Great to hear. Now they need to just buff the shotguns and add idle sway to the following:

- AK74u
- Galil
- M16 with ACOG

I rape with the shotguns. I personally wouldn't like a buff there as I find them to pretty effective at least on certain maps.

I do agree the AK74u though could use a slight nerf. Maybe Galil also.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I only had the chance to play one match after the fix.

It took about the same amount of time to find a match. It threw me in to a choppy game on Nuketown with a 2 bar connection.

Stoney Mason said:
I rape with the shotguns. I personally wouldn't like a buff there as I find them to pretty effective at least on certain maps.

This is coming from someone whose number 1 used weapon is the olympia. The shotguns are effective on some maps but far too often I will be within 8 ft of a player and two shells isn't enough to kill them. It feels too inconsistent. The double shotgun in W@W felt alot more reliable.

I would do the following at the very least:

Olympia: make each shell as powerful as a spas-12 shell in MW2 or decrease the reload time so that sleight of hand isn't such a necessity.

Stakeout: increase the ammo capacity to 6.

When a gun has the disadvantage of being completely ineffective past a certain range, it shouldn't also have the disadvantage of having to constantly worry about ammo.

TestOfTide said:
This is coming from someone whose number 1 used weapon is the olympia. The shotguns are effective on some maps but far too often I will be within 8 ft of a player and two shells isn't enough to kill them. It feels too inconsistent.

I would do the following at the very least:

Olympia: make each shell as powerful as a spas-12 shell in MW2 or decrease the reload time so that sleight of hand isn't such a necessity.

Stakeout: increase the ammo capacity to 6.

When a gun has the disadvantage of being completely ineffective past a certain range, it shouldn't also have the disadvantage of having to constantly worry about ammo.

I hear you and occasionally I think the spread is inconsistent but honestly I feel like if the shotguns were automatic one shot kills always it would get really out of hand. I've had some nasty games on a map like summit where I can just mow people down. (The counter argument is of course that those people shouldn't be running around like chickens with their heads cut off in tight quarters) Like I said I would be fearful that buffing them would make that even more nasty. I like playing with the shotguns and even the olympia in certain cases because it requires me to be very careful and not try to take on groups and get right in their face and use corners really well. Even though generally speaking I'm much better with the spas simply because the clip is so large. People already bitch whenever they get killed by a shotty so I think that is why the balance on niche weapons like that is very controversial. Same with the snipers on the other end of the scale.

Brian Fellows said:
Also I just realized that I had BitTorrent running during that game earlier so pay no attention to me.

DERP!

The first few weeks of MW 2 last year I had upgraded my computer to Windows 7 I think and it hid the utorrent icon in the taskbar. So I was playing really shitty and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was sucking so bad. This literally went on for a few weeks. I checked my internet speed and saw it was really low and below what it should have been so I got mad and called my cable company all ready to bitch them out.

Then after a little bit of research I found out that utorrent was running all the time, and I just wasn't seeing the icon for it since Windows 7 handles those icons a little bit differently. I felt like an idiot.

I think I even made a thread about it on GAF asking about internet speed and such.

Haha hilarious that this doesn't *JUST* happen to me. Wish there was a way to configure it so that if it detects that my Xbox or PS3 are on then to pause all activity!

Nizz

GeekyDad said:

I might try this tonight. I haven't played for a couple of days and I'm kinda itching to play. I was holding out for the patch but then reading people's impressions after the patch it sounded like a disaster.

Damn I wish this game didn't have the technical issues it does.

Tkawsome said:
I think quick scoping is back. I just played a match where a sniper was on the front lines and the only way he fired was ADS with a quick shot. He had the highest score on their team

Yeah after the patch I've been seeing tons of people running around and knocking out shots with the sniper rifles again. Its really annoying seeing those killcams.

Stoney Mason said:
I hear you and occasionally I think the spread is inconsistent but honestly I feel like if the shotguns were automatic one shot kills always it would get really out of hand. I've had some nasty games on a map like summit where I can just mow people down. (The counter argument is of course that those people shouldn't be running around like chickens with their heads cut off in tight quarters) Like I said I would be fearful that buffing them would make that even more nasty. I like playing with the shotguns and even the olympia in certain cases because it requires me to be very careful and not try to take on groups and get right in their face and use corners really well.

The problem with the olympia is that, for example, if I see two guys, get over 100 damage on both, but at least one of them has last stand or a third guy shows up, I have to go and find a place to reload because the reload time is worse than every other weapon excluding LMGs and Sniper Rifles. It takes 4 seconds just to reload two shells.

The stakeout, meanwhile would feel a lot less vulnerable if it had 6 shells to hold instead of a mere 4.

Even though generally speaking I'm much better with the spas simply because the clip is so large. People already bitch whenever they get killed by a shotty so I think that is why the balance on niche weapons like that is very controversial. Same with the snipers on the other end of the scale.

Spas is perfectly fine as in Black Ops because it has no penalty for using silencer and thus you can take out groups before they even notice you.

TestOfTide said:
The problem with the olympia is that, for example, if I see two guys, get over 100 damage on both, but at least one of them has last stand or a third guy shows up, I have to go and find a place to reload because the reload time is worse than every other weapon excluding LMGs and Sniper Rifles. It takes 4 seconds just to reload two shells.

The stakeout, meanwhile would feel a lot less vulnerable if it had 6 shells to hold instead of a mere 4.

Spas is perfectly fine as in Black Ops because it has no penalty for using silencer and thus you can take out groups before they even notice you.
Well I have used the olympia but it is required to have sleight of hand. Makes it a tad more useful.

mandiller

Official word from the devs is that the patch for the PC version is coming out today. Finally! Now we see if the game is finally playable over a month after release or if they screwed it up even more ala PS3.

jet1911

Patch fixed the problem for me it seems. Tried on game of FFA on Firing Range (that map was a stuttering mess for me) and no more stutter. Just a few frame drops here and there. Yay! \o/

Lackmus

Banned
jet1911 said:
Patch fixed the problem for me it seems. Tried on game of FFA on Firing Range (that map was a stuttering mess for me) and no more stutter. Just a few frame drops here and there. Yay! \o/

you think it's acceptable to have framedrops with a 10-year old engine?

Patch didnt do shit for me, think we're gonna have to wait 1 month more just like World at War.

So I broke my vow and gave the game a chance today (played about four matches) in light of the patch. I can't say whether or not it fixed the issues because I pulled host in three straight matches! :lol The first two were fantastic (averaged 50k, 2d), the third not so much. It played like a dream, but like I said - I was host, so the jury's still out.

I tried sniping in my first match. It still feels wonky to me; then again, I was never a good sniper, so I'm not a good judge. But if they're going to buff snipers, can't they buff shotguns too? The SPAS is really the only good one, and it wouldn't take much to fix the others (more ammo for the Stakeout, more range for the Olympia, and who gives a shit about the HS-10). I still don't understand why they made shotguns primary when 3/4 of the suck so badly. :lol

jet1911

Lackmus said:
you think it's acceptable to have framedrops with a 10-year old engine?

Patch didnt do shit for me, think we're gonna have to wait 1 month more just like World at War.

No but it's better than it was before the patch. Way better.

Game2Death said:
Well I have used the olympia but it is required to have sleight of hand. Makes it a tad more useful.

What i don't get is why should a gun with such low ammo capacity have a worse reload time than an assault rifle. It makes no goddamn sense.

Top Bottom