• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

TestOfTide said:
What i don't get is why should a gun with such low ammo capacity have a worse reload time than an assault rifle. It makes no goddamn sense.

Agreed. But if it had the same power as the MW2 SPAS-12, I wouldn't mind it.

tsigo

:lol Why did they remove the option to mute people in the lobby? Do they not know the kind of morons who play this game?

Edit: Randomly the option is back. Their menus are so broken.

Edit 2: I see. When you're getting the "Backing out of a player card shows your friends list" bug, it won't show the mute option. It will when you're not getting that. Broken menus.

mandiller

Wow. The patch actually worked. I'm now getting about 30-60 fps instead of 15-25 and hardly any stuttering. I made sure to enable shader warming in the graphic options.

The game is actually playable now. About bloody time.

TestOfTide said:
What i don't get is why should a gun with such low ammo capacity have a worse reload time than an assault rifle. It makes no goddamn sense.
I think it would be better if the gun had higher damage. But they nerfed everything but sub machine guns and assault rifles.

n0n44m

just loaded a bot match with the new shader option enabled ... start of the match still crappy 40ish fps for no reason, some stuttering as well

but behold! after about a minute or so it did 80~90 fps for most of the match, except for some dips to 65ish

GTX 480, Athlon II X4 3.5ghz , 1080p max settings

acceptable? barely, but it seems playable now so I guess I'm sorta happy =] hell the "smoothness" makes it feel like a different game at times :lol

fake edit: 1080p max and 720p all settings minimum/off still have the exact same fps, but that fps limit is now almost twice as high as pre-patch. Still terrible optimization though

The M.O.B

Yeah frame rate definitely is a lot better. BUT im still getting some weird stuttering every once in a while and also some weird connection problems.

I am now slightly less annoyed by Treyarch.

Oh and they finally made Ghost useful now. Works like a charm.

So what's the deal with the ACOG? The lens is dark as hell making it hard to see what you're aiming at and the recoil is nuts. Any good way to use it or should I just avoid it?

Tkawsome said:
So what's the deal with the ACOG? The lens is dark as hell making it hard to see what you're aiming at and the recoil is nuts. Any good way to use it or should I just avoid it?

M16 + ACOG is pretty cheap if you ask me

The ACOG also can be use on the python to allow for 50 damage at longer distances.

And the other good use is to use it on the WA2000 because of the gun's low recoil.

GeekyDad

divisionbyzorro said:
Did you try the fix that was posted a page or two back?

I think you're referring to my post, and now JD (over on the official forums) is saying that rumor was unfounded and NOT to delete your save data. Their claim is that a recent "hot fix" should improve the game. They're also supposedly working on other hot fixes. Either way, it sounds like we're still far from smooth sailing with this game on PS3.

I just prestiged for the second time and went 4-24 on my first match. Unbelievable. One match later I bought a suppressor and went 22-2. What a difference that thing makes. I feel useless without it.

eek5

iguesso.png

umad.png

wtf i'm not even that good :lol

PalaceBrother said:
I just prestiged for the second time and went 4-24 on my first match. Unbelievable. One match later I bought a suppressor and went 22-2. What a difference that thing makes. I feel useless without it.

Are you camping with ghost or something?

cuevas said:
Are you camping with ghost or something?

Absolutely not. I do run every build with a suppressor though, so unless there is an SR71 above (I will shoot down spy planes as announced) I expect to disappear from radar.

I've just gotten so used to it that I end up getting mowed down every 10 seconds when I don't have it.

I realise I'm in the minority, but I fuking love this game, and it seemingly loves me. :lol

Just finished a game 33 - 0 on TDM Firing Range. Was rolling Blackbird, Chopper Gunner, Dogs. Got my first eight kills quickly and from there, it was all she wrote. The dogs/cg took me to 33 and I got the final killcam kill with a satisfying headshot. :D

I have to say, if you can put in the hard yards and get your first 8 kills, Blackbird/CG/Dogs is BRUTUAL. I can't imagine EVER losing a game if I get my 8 kill-streak. Blackbird basically guarantees three kills for the puppies, and with the dogs rushing around distracting people on the ground, my CG has free reign to absolutely destroy the opposition.

I'm by no means a brilliant player, but that set-up has really turned games and greatly improved my success. I'm only a 1.7kd at the moment, but I feel a flat 2 will be little work.

I feel for the guys suffering while playing, but I am having a brilliant time playing. No lag, no stuttering, instant matchmaking, host migration always works, hit detection has improved and it all feels rather balanced.

Great job Treyarch! :lol

SumPog said:
I've had this game lying around since it came out and still ahven't played it. The bugs and lag just kill it.

Brilliant logic there...:lol

Clearly, the game seems to be temperemental. If you're on 360 and live in Australia, fire her up, there's fun times ahead. :lol

Anyway, noticed they've added a section to the initial multiplayer start screen, called 'Store'. Let's you bypass the Xbox menu shit and buy avatar clothing and themes in-game. It's still horrifically over-priced, but I'm sure someone appreciates it.

Ryn

I got some straight up hate messages last night. Apparently it's not okay if I'm "camping" and get called a bitch when I killed this dude who ran right past me (1st round he was on the other team, playing HC S&D). But every time I was watching his screen when we were on the same team he was "camping" all over the place.

Fucking whiny xbox live people. Camping is totally a legit strategy anyway. :[

Ryn said:
I got some straight up hate messages last night. Apparently it's not okay if I'm "camping" and get called a bitch when I killed this dude who ran right past me (1st round he was on the other team, playing HC S&D). But every time I was watching his screen when we were on the same team he was "camping" all over the place.

Fucking whiny xbox live people. Camping is totally a legit strategy anyway. :[

Okay I hate campers but you are playin S&D, you are supposed to camp on D...

luoapp said:
Doesn't that just make you one of them:lol Relax, it's just a game.
Totally agreed. I just mute everybody and have a blast..it is just a game. If some dude in blops decides to do a 360 before shooting me then let him. Life is too short!

LeMaximilian said:
Anyone can do it, rite?!

My monthly K/D in TDM was 6.57 something, lol.

Oh, I'm SURE it was! :lol I think you're taking those Youtube reactions a little close to heart, Maxi.

But he is playing TDM! ;) At least he moved around in this video.

After my 33 nil game on TDM, perhaps I should post a rambling video to Youtube about how brilliantly skilled I am!

The PS3 version actually worked for a little while but now it's back to the same old BS. Five attempts now and every one didn't get past the lobby. It just counts down to the start of the match and sits there when it reaches zero. After a couple of second it just says lobby closed.

What a mess. I hope it doesn't take them a month to get this fixed, that certification stuff makes me worried we're going to have to deal with this for a while.

3ur4zn said:
After my 33 nil game on TDM, perhaps I should post a rambling video to Youtube about how brilliantly skilled I am!

He's good, I wasn't trying to say he isn't. Most people will only put up their best matches though instead of putting up a shitty match and showing how they got fucked. But anyone who actually cares about competition would not be playing objective modes in matchmaking.

Here is a video of a demo from a PC compares to the theater mode replay. What the server sees and what you see are completely different, so with consoles where the delay will be worse you get people raging about getting killed around corners.

Nizz

GeekyDad said:
I think you're referring to my post, and now JD (over on the official forums) is saying that rumor was unfounded and NOT to delete your save data. Their claim is that a recent "hot fix" should improve the game. They're also supposedly working on other hot fixes. Either way, it sounds like we're still far from smooth sailing with this game on PS3.
Whew, I was thinking of doing the "erase save data utility" step last night. Glad I held out. So PS3 version is still fucked. Unbelievable...

LeMaximilian said:
Anyone can do it, rite?!

My monthly K/D in TDM was 6.57 something, lol.
Damn, Max, that's sweet!

So, this past weekend, I think I just randomly decided that I would be good at this game.

Weekly K/D jumped up to the 3.5 range, which is pretty excellent. Haven't played worse than a 1.5 K/D in a little over than a week. This is all in TDM, mind you.

I think it's just that I really started to learn the different maps and spawn points. Loving this game now that I'm good at it.

iNvid02

just like the above, every MOTHERFUCKING game counts down and then game lobby closed. treyarch had the cheek to post that patch process thread on the official cod forums as well explaining how a patch gets approved.

they said its first "rigorously" tested by Treyarch, and then handed over to Sony for more testing. How the fuck did you miss the fact that game lobby closes all the time

iNvidious01 said:
they said its first "rigorously" tested by Treyarch, and then handed over to Sony for more testing. How the fuck did you miss the fact that game lobby closes all the time

You did notice the game they shipped right? I'm sure they rigorously tested that too.

Nizz

iNvidious01 said:
just like the above, every MOTHERFUCKING game counts down and then game lobby closed. treyarch had the cheek to post that patch process thread on the official cod forums as well explaining how a patch gets approved.

I really hate that. It's happened to me plenty of times before their latest patch. Nothing worse than hanging in a TDM lobby, the countdown gets to zero then boom, lobby closed/disconnected.

Times like this makes me wish Treyarch had included TDM Express. At least it's a shorter wait between matches. TDM Express was one of my favorite modes in MW2. Super quick, in and out.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Here's a new one. Started on Hanoi. I go 3-0 to start. Spy plane up. Get two more kills. Napalm in the air. Get 8 kills. 9 kills. 11. 13. 14. Then I'm thinking... wait a minute, where's my kill streak reward? I start thinking oh shit was I playing around with Chopper Gunner/Dogs and forgot to actually choose one? Then on kill 15 I'm awarded my Chopper Gunner. WTF? Anyone ever have this happen?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
cuevas said:
You did notice the game they shipped right? I'm sure they rigorously tested that too.

There is a difference in rushing out a game that is going to make you a billion dollars and rushing out a patch to fix the game that will only make it worse.

RSTEIN said:
Here's a new one. Started on Hanoi. I go 3-0 to start. Spy plane up. Get two more kills. Napalm in the air. Get 8 kills. 9 kills. 11. 13. 14. Then I'm thinking... wait a minute, where's my kill streak reward? I start thinking oh shit was I playing around with Chopper Gunner/Dogs and forgot to actually choose one? Then on kill 15 I'm awarded my Chopper Gunner. WTF? Anyone ever have this happen?
Killstreaks don't stack, only bullets from your gun/knife count towards your kill streak. Maybe that's the problem?

I played a few 360 games last night and it seemed a little less laggy after the patch. But, I still didn't have much fun. With Amazon offering $39 trade-in (which is $3 more than I paid) and BC2:Vietnam on Tuesday, I just can't be bothered to keep it.

RSTEIN

mysticwhip said:
Killstreaks don't stack, only bullets from your gun/knife count towards your kill streak. Maybe that's the problem?

I forgot to say (the most important part lol) that I didn't hit anyone with my napalm.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
backflip10019 said:
Damn, Max, that's sweet!

So, this past weekend, I think I just randomly decided that I would be good at this game.

Weekly K/D jumped up to the 3.5 range, which is pretty excellent. Haven't played worse than a 1.5 K/D in a little over than a week. This is all in TDM, mind you.

I think it's just that I really started to learn the different maps and spawn points. Loving this game now that I'm good at it.

Also thinking the patch really helped with putting all players on equal ground. I've had some prestiges where I've been completely stuck and had not moved any on K/D or W/L, but over the past week I've been making slow progression. BO is annoying as hell at times but it's getting better I feel.

RSTEIN

What still needs work is lobby balancing. Mostly out of boredom I look at the lobby leaderboard before every game but also to see what kind of players I'm up against. I'm not bragging but I'll usually be in the top one or two spots. Then there will be some players between 1.5-1x then drop off. So one time there was me and two people who had kdrs close to me. Everyone else sucked. I said in my mind watch the game put all three of us on one team... and yup we were. It was total annihilation.

The match ends and everyone is back in the lobby. At THIS point you'd think there would be some background calculations going on concluding that given the score of the last game and the current kdr imbalance the teams need to be switched up. Nope... virtually exact same teams next round :lol

The game feels way better since the patch. Very happy.

luoapp

RSTEIN said:
What still needs work is lobby balancing. Mostly out of boredom I look at the lobby leaderboard before every game but also to see what kind of players I'm up against. I'm not bragging but I'll usually be in the top one or two spots. Then there will be some players between 1.5-1x then drop off. So one time there was me and two people who had kdrs close to me. Everyone else sucked. I said in my mind watch the game put all three of us on one team... and yup we were. It was total annihilation.

The match ends and everyone is back in the lobby. At THIS point you'd think there would be some background calculations going on concluding that given the score of the last game and the current kdr imbalance the teams need to be switched up. Nope... virtually exact same teams next round :lol

The game feels way better since the patch. Very happy.

I would really like an option to switch team during a game, and only from winning team to losing team.

Game definitely seems much better post patch. I've only had one match with bad kills out of some dozen. Still need to marathon the game this weekend to know for sure.

Top Bottom