• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just had a game end and enter the post game lobby, but I was not in the list of players. Even tho I was still in the lobby and could vote on the next map. Then waited until the countdown timer ran out to see what would happen, and my system hard-locked.

great

VALKYRAY said:
you are full of shit dude.

- stopping power is good but it doesn't mean you can't use other tier 2 perks, you can find tons of cold blood snipers, danger close noobtubers, lightweight/hardline ump rushers. your point?
- there are so many ways to counter danger close noobtube, you can even use that kit yourself. learn your game, learn your maps.
- you can stun claymores just incase you didn't know
- if you think nuke is so easy to get, then why are you bitching about it? sandy ravage never bitch about the nuke
- commando increase knife range, but everybody is using it. the only ones who don't use it and complain about knife being overpowered are the dropshoters, sound whores, heartbeat sensor whores or it's simply because their reaction time is slow as shit. perhaps you are one of them.
- each weapon is unique in mw2, if you get bored with one, you can swith to another one and change your play style a bit. that's what make it fun. in black ops most assault riffles feels the same. the the AK74 is the only usable smgs, the rest are plain terrible. the shotguns and snipers are useless. and you are telling me black ops is more fun over modern warfare 2. you need to get you brain checked out son.

as I went on black ops after the patch. the game is totally unplayable now. it's extremely hard to find a match. and even if you do find one, the match will most likly to end in the middle. in my life, i have never ever played a multiplayer game this bad. black ops is complete garbage now

You're really defending Commando and OMA-Danger Close-noob tubing? And you're claiming that I'm full of shit? I guess my 13 days of gametime weren't enough to learn the intricacies of the game properly. :lol

MW2 certainly does a lot of things right, but it does so very, very many things wrong too. If only Black Ops was more stable online... :(

LeMaximilian said:
Just had a game end and enter the post game lobby, but I was not in the list of players. Even tho I was still in the lobby and could vote on the next map. Then waited until the countdown timer ran out to see what would happen, and my system hard-locked.

great

:(

Biff

*sits back and smiles at all the Treyarch hate*

Finally, you all see the light.

I'd dig up my posts from launch about how shit Treyarch is, but search is a bitch and I'm not going through 13,000 posts.

Fuck these guys. Shame on Activision for not sending Bobby down for a face-to-face with the lazy, incompetent fucks at Treyarch. If this was any other industry, these managers would be fired. But since it's gaming and we're all 'kids', they can do whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. They already moved their 10 million units or whatever.

VALKYRAY said:
you are full of shit dude.

- there are so many ways to counter danger close noobtube, you can even use that kit yourself. learn your game, learn your maps.
- commando increase knife range, but everybody is using it. the only ones who don't use it and complain about knife being overpowered are the dropshoters, sound whores, heartbeat sensor whores or it's simply because their reaction time is slow as shit. perhaps you are one of them.

as I went on black ops after the patch. the game is totally unplayable now. it's extremely hard to find a match. and even if you do find one, the match will most likly to end in the middle. in my life, i have never ever played a multiplayer game this bad. black ops is complete garbage now

These are some of the dumbest fucking defenses I've ever heard for MW2. I love how you claim there's SO MANY~! ways to counter this stuff, yet all you bother to present is "use it yourself". Infinity Ward employee confirmed.

Black Ops is more fun than MW2. You know why? For the simple fact there's nothing in this game that makes me feel like doing the things you've suggested to "counter" OMA/DC Tubing and MLC Tac-Knifers. Nothing in Black Ops forces me to mimic an enemy's tactics because of cheap bullshit that is going on.

ChefRamsay said:
*sits back and smiles at all the Treyarch hate*

Finally, you all see the light.

I'd dig up my posts from launch about how shit Treyarch is, but search is a bitch and I'm not going through 13,000 posts.

Fuck these guys. Shame on Activision for not sending Bobby down for a face-to-face with the lazy, incompetent fucks at Treyarch. If this was any other industry, these managers would be fired. But since it's gaming and we're all 'kids', they can do whatever the fuck they want and get away with it. They already moved their 10 million units or whatever.

Do you believe Infinity Ward is any better? Because if you do, at least Treyarch is trying to work on a multitude of things. Infinity Ward totally bailed on MW2 after launch and only came back when a game-breaker glitch happened like the Javelin, the Care Package, and the Akimbo 1887s. These were glitches of such magnitude which, by the way, have NOT ever shown up in Black Ops. Treyarch has already fixed more things within a month of release that IW ever did with MW2. Despite what everyone wants to believe, no game launches perfect.

I know it's frustrating, but goddamn at least they're trying unlike IW sending Robert Bowling to the Internet to lie to the community about working on stuff that they had no intention of working on. Vahn is on Twitter almost everyday asking for regular Joe and Jane Six-Packs to help him test stuff on the PS3. I never saw Infinity Ward come even close to giving that much of a fuck about MW2.

Believe me, I used to be one of those I <3 IW-LOL Treyarch people, but the way they have treated MW2 and Black Ops post-launch have completely changed my opinions heavily on this.

user_nat said:
I take it your K/D is somewhere around ~15 then? That's pretty good.

Congratulations. You can do basic math.

divisionbyzorro said:
There is so much fail in this post that it hurts. I can only hope that you're speaking from the perspective of Hardcore, because otherwise you're a complete lunatic. There's a case to be made for Hardline on a 5-7-9/11 setup, and there are certain specific kits which benefit from Lightweight or Cold-Blooded, but Stopping Power is the best red perk for over 90% of viable kits in MW2.

Ugh. "So much fail." Just once I would love it if someone didn't spew out tired and cliched internet quips as arguments. And you're honestly saying that Stopping Power is a better all-around perk than, say, Cold-Blooded? A minor damage modifier is better than a perk which makes you invisible on the radar and from enemy air support (which is frequently cited as THE major problem with MW2)? Suuure. :lol

Lightweight paired with Marathon allows you to traverse maps like a madman, actually effectively strafe in gunfights, and escape potentially fatal situations quickly. Hardline is viable with any killstreak setup. Not sure why you specifically mentioned 5-7-9/11. For example, run a 2-3-4 setup and you'll be the bane of your enemy's existence, with constant UAVs and Counter-UAVs in the air.

And Stopping Power has...what exactly? +1 damage? If you have a single brain cell in your skull, you can flank your enemy and predict their movements and spawns. Stopping Power means jack shit when you're shooting your enemy from behind. Like I said, SP is a crutch for terrible players, as are red dot sights, heartbeat sensors, Bling, Last Stand, and knifing. But as long as bad players continue to delude themselves into thinking SP is the be-all end-all tier 2 perk, I'm not complaining. Good luck using Stopping Power against me when I'm shooting you from off-screen.

But back to Black Ops (which is indeed topic of this thread): lobby disconnects aside, we are still getting those shitty laggy games as well? In other words - we aren't seeing any improvement to the game? That's seriously disappointing. :/

Have you forgotten who developed this game? Contrary to popular belief, there's a reason why Treyarch is considered the B-team COD developer, and their mishandling of Black Ops only solidifies this belief. Call me when they make a game with great mechanics and which actually works. MW2 was (and still is) full of bullshit, but at least the fucking game works.

VALKYRAY

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
You're really defending Commando and OMA-Danger Close-noob tubing? And you're claiming that I'm full of shit? I guess my 13 days of gametime weren't enough to learn the intricacies of the game properly. :lol

MW2 certainly does a lot of things right, but it does so very, very many things wrong too. If only Black Ops was more stable online... :(

:(
13 days playing time and you still don't know how to counter noobtubers and claymores. that makes me think 13 days is probaly not enough time to appreciate moder warfare 2.
mine is 40 days plus and i am still learning new things everytime i play.
there's nothing wrong with modern warfare 2. when i see someone uses noobtube, i'll try to counter it and if that dont work, i will bring out my own OMAtubing class. everyone has equal access to every perk/weapon in the game, nobody is out classed with anything, this is why modern warfare 2 is not broken. and the game is running very smooth. not like black ops, broken since day one.
don't forget, call of duty 3 was developed by treyarch also.

Jack Scofield said:
e B-team COD developer, and their mishandling of Black Ops only solidifies this belief. Call me when they make a game with great mechanics and which actually works. MW2 was (and still is) full of bullshit, but at least the fucking game works.

I've been playing Black Ops all night with no problems. Looks like it works pretty well to me.

VALKYRAY

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
These are some of the dumbest fucking defenses I've ever heard for MW2. I love how you claim there's SO MANY~! ways to counter this stuff, yet all you bother to present is "use it yourself". Infinity Ward employee confirmed.

Black Ops is more fun than MW2. You know why? For the simple fact there's nothing in this game that makes me feel like doing the things you've suggested to "counter" OMA/DC Tubing and MLC Tac-Knifers. Nothing in Black Ops forces me to mimic an enemy's tactics because of cheap bullshit that is going on.
ok then, give me a smart defense for mw2, i'd like to hear.
perhaps you have none. you remind me elpresedor who runs around out in the open get his ass owned then crying like a baby telling everying how cheap something is.
you say black ops is balanced, you don't need to counter? i guess you use AK74u all the time don't you? BTW that's elpresedor's little friend in black ops also.

GeekyDad

AnEternalEnigma said:
...Despite what everyone wants to believe, no game launches perfect....

...Vahn is on Twitter almost everyday asking for regular Joe and Jane Six-Packs to help him test stuff on the PS3....

I can appreciate everything in your post, except for these two points (quoted above).

1. No, I don't ever expect perfection, but if you're justifying sending out a broken game that can be patched later on down the road, don't. It's a criminal practice, one the gaming market has grown way too comfortable with.

2. Vahn (and/or Activision/Treyarch) shouldn't be using paying customers to beta test their shit -- end of story.

All you managed to emphasize is that Treyarch perhaps sucks a bit less than IW when it comes to the handling of this franchise. So, great -- one piece of shit has less nuts and corn in it. I still don't care to eat it.

VALKYRAY said:
perhaps you have none. you remind me elpresedor who runs around out in the open get his ass owned then crying like a baby telling everying how cheap something is.
you say black ops is balanced, you don't need to counter? i guess you use AK74u all the time don't you? BTW that's elpresedor's little friend in black ops also.
Elpresador runs around in the open and then dies and says "I know that stupid of me" and then keeps doing it because he likes to play like that. I can see why campers don't like him because he mocks them.

cuevas said:
Elpresador runs around in the open and then dies and says "I know that stupid of me" and then keeps doing it because he likes to play like that. I can see why campers don't like him because he mocks them.

More specifically, he does it because it's entertaining and we love watching it. :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Both IW and Treyarch are pretty darn terrible at matchmaking.

For the first few months of MW2 it was near impossible to find a green bar connection here in Australia. Not to mention the complete lack of party options and near impossible to find games with larger groups at times.

Black Ops has managed to repeat a fair few of those problems. With some new ones, like party splitting, lobbies that seem to never find people and votes not working (or maps with the least votes winning).

Both games also seemed to not be able to tell the difference between a matchmaking game and private match. Which is hilarious. *Searches TDM* "Oh awesome a private 18 man ffa on Nuke town".
Also, not a matchmaking problem, but how hard can it be to migrate host instead of ending the game when the host leaves by some unusual way.

So really.. they need to get some advise from fellow Activision studio Bungie.

U2NUMB

Large parties are still totally screwed.. you can not get into a game with everyone if you have over 6.. why on earth can COD NOT get the party system working... Bungie has no issues... UGHHHHHH

Why on earth after 4 COD games using matchmaking can they NOT get this down.

VALKYRAY

Banned
elpresedor is terrible at mw2, and yet he is somewhat decent in blackops.
something in black ops transforms bad players into beasts. this is communism, we don't promot this kind of shit in the west.
the dumb ones should always stay poor, because they don't use their fucking brain.

VALKYRAY said:
elpresedor is terrible at mw2, and yet he is somewhat decent in blackops.
something in black ops transforms bad players into beasts. this is communism, we don't promot this kind of shit in the west.
the dumb ones should always stay poor, because they don't use their fucking brain.

What? He's bad at blops too lol

U2NUMB said:
Large parties are still totally screwed.. you can not get into a game with everyone if you have over 6.. why on earth can COD NOT get the party system working... Bungie has no issues... UGHHHHHH

Why on earth after 4 COD games using matchmaking can they NOT get this down.

I have no idea :(

I played Reach for quite a while before Black Ops came out; I think I was at Major I or something like that? Not terribly hardcore, but somewhere in the top 5% globally in terms of rank when I stopped (which was still below the curve here on GAF :lol). I never once had a matchmaking issue. Not once.

I realize that Reach is a platform exclusive and gets a lot of special backing from Microsoft, but still - why can't the biggest console gaming franchise in the world in terms of dollars and players match that level of polish? :(

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
divisionbyzorro said:
I realize that Reach is a platform exclusive and gets a lot of special backing from Microsoft, but still - why can't the biggest console gaming franchise in the world in terms of dollars and players match that level of polish? :(

Microsoft can't make gold out of shit. Reach/Halo 3 has amazing netcode because Bungie knows their shit. Gears 2, Microsoft's number 2 franchise, was completely, utterly broken at launch--way worse than MW2 or BLOPS ever was or ever will be.

I stopped trying to figure it out. In my mind it's simple: Here's Gears 1. Let's take everything we've learned and make it better. Nope, that's not how it works. They made just about everything worse. The same issues pop up over and over again. Now I just shrug my shoulders and think back to the days of 56k gaming and then life seems pretty sweet.

VALKYRAY said:

The AK74u is definitely somewhat cheap (due to its recoil being too predictable) and needs to have similar nerfs to what it had in CoD4 (Idle sway, AR hipfire accuracy), but it still is weak per bullet at long range. If I have an LMG and I see you rushing with the AK74u at a distance chances are that I will get you, especially thanks to the good pullet penetration incase you hide behind one of the many metal walls.

yoopoo said:

What you guys don't get is that while some of you always had perfect hit detection in nearly every MW2 game, other had less then perfect internet and had lots of hit detection issues already.

It's obvious that Treyarch was trying to make the game more fair for people with less optimal internet connections and who aren't host. Now what's going on is everyone equally has lag that is just notable enough to be annoying because personally my lag experience with BO seems exactly the same as it was with all the other CoD games.

VALKYRAY

Banned
make everyone lag so it is fair for the ones with bad connection. if thats what you did treyarch, you guys should move your studio to north korea, that's where the true communism is at.

jedimike

MW2 was just an easier game to play. AR's could shoot across the map with no recoil using a supressor.

Black Ops is more challenging. The AR's have more recoil and less range. The maps are also better designed and offer more competitive play.

I suspect the Black Ops "haters" are hating on the game because they have seen their K/D's drop from MW2 and want to blame Treyarch.

user_nat

jedimike said:
MW2 was just an easier game to play. AR's could shoot across the map with no recoil using a supressor.

Black Ops is more challenging. The AR's have more recoil and less range. The maps are also better designed and offer more competitive play.

I suspect the Black Ops "haters" are hating on the game because they have seen their K/D's drop from MW2 and want to blame Treyarch.
My KD has increased about .5 (1.7 to 2.2), and I really think that MW2 was a better game. Not really all that much better, I just enjoyed the setting/guns more. After a year of it though, Black Ops is a nice change (and I'm better at it).

VALKYRAY said:
make everyone lag so it is fair for the ones with bad connection. if thats what you did treyarch, you guys should move your studio to north korea, that's where the true communism is at.

Halo Reach does it too from what I have experienced, but no one notices because the hitboxes are so damn big in that game that you have to be terrible at first person shooters to miss.

On the Xbox 360 version post-patch, when you bring up someone else's Playercard in the lobby, hitting B to go back to the lobby instead brings up the friends list that normally comes up when you hit Y. :lol

tsigo

AnEternalEnigma said:
On the Xbox 360 version post-patch, when you bring up someone else's Playercard in the lobby, hitting B to go back to the lobby instead brings up the friends list that normally comes up when you hit Y. :lol

Yup.

The M.O.B

WTF is going on, at this rate, maybe I don't want a PC patch if its going to break the game even further.

The one downside of having a steam game, cant sell this POS. :/

I'm gonna troll the crap out of every site that gives an award to Black Ops for best multiplayer. It won't help, but it will make me feel better about having this $60 POS that I can't sell.

................................................ F U TREYARCH!!!!

user_nat

They fixed best streak to actually show the best streak, instead of current streak. Yay.. I guess. Now how do i know my current streak though.

Well just bought my first server, in honor of gaf, join us for some chill shit talk gaming. The server title is Come at me Bra- 24/7 HC S&D, so please join and add it to your favs :D

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
eek5 said:
the new knife lunge distance is awesome.. it's so easy to backpedal away now and watch them swipe the air :lol

yea I love it, I mean for crying out loud it's a knife they're swinging not a bloody longsword

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Mr Nightman said:
Well just bought my first server, in honor of gaf, join us for some chill shit talk gaming. The server title is Come at me Bra- 24/7 HC S&D, so please join and add it to your favs :D

where you ( server? ) located?

please say sweden... :(

RSTEIN said:
Microsoft can't make gold out of shit. Reach/Halo 3 has amazing netcode because Bungie knows their shit. Gears 2, Microsoft's number 2 franchise, was completely, utterly broken at launch--way worse than MW2 or BLOPS ever was or ever will be.

I stopped trying to figure it out. In my mind it's simple: Here's Gears 1. Let's take everything we've learned and make it better. Nope, that's not how it works. They made just about everything worse. The same issues pop up over and over again. Now I just shrug my shoulders and think back to the days of 56k gaming and then life seems pretty sweet.

Good point. Gears was so brokem that they're giving up and moving to dedicated servers!

Bungie solves a lot of problems with game design as well. First of all, since killstreaks don't matter, getting a single unfair death doesn't matter nearly as much as CoD. Second, it takes so much longer to kill, so individual skill with aiming matters a lot more. Third, Halo actually allows for ties (both players die), while CoD doesn't. All of these game design factors give them a lot of leeway with in-game lag.

They also have an easier job of matchmaking because they don't do join-in-progress. All they have to do is build a waiting queue and match players from that queue together. Players already in a lobby (or already in_game) don't have to be pinged by the matchmaking service.

Theater mode is also handled differently. In Halo, each player records the game from their point of view. In Blops, the host records the game and uploads it to a central server. I can't say if this puts any more strain on the host than Halo, but it's certainly different. The host in a CoD game is also having to do loads of extra work to feed the killcam back to other players; again, I can't say how much extra work that really is since the player isn't active during the killcam, but it is one extra responsibility that the host has.

I guess my point is that the basic design decisions of CoD require it to have near flawless netcode to play properly. Black Ops clearly doesn't at the moment. :(

-viper-

Banned
I haven't played Black Ops for a month because I was tired of all the bullshit lag, framerate issues and general MP asshattery such as camping.

What have the latest patches fixed?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
divisionbyzorro said:
I guess my point is that the basic design decisions of CoD require it to have near flawless netcode to play properly. Black Ops clearly doesn't at the moment. :(

No, it sure isn't flawless. I'm not trying to lower my expectations but let's all try this: name some console games that have released this gen that are flawless (with respect to multiplayer).

The only games I'd even consider putting in this category are Halo 3 & Reach. Modern Warfare had issues. I got shot around corners many times. The sniper rifles were brutal at launch. MW2 had technical issues as well as design problems. Gears 1? Bleh. Gears 2? lol (now it's good). I mean, these are all AAA devs spending tens of millions on their games and nobody can really get it perfect!

As you said when you have a game that's super fast where every kill counts for killstreaks, all the little flaws--that every other game has--become much bigger. Plus you have millions of copies out there and a very hardcore group of players that will not hesitate to rush to the web and complain. Like us :D

TestOfTide said:
Halo Reach does it too from what I have experienced, but no one notices because the hitboxes are so damn big in that game that you have to be terrible at first person shooters to miss.

Lol I bet you can't consistently hit headshots for shit.

On the PS3, when I did get into games last night things did feel less laggy. Problem was that the majority of my games ended with disconnects. Either that or I'd finally make it through a whole round and then back in the lobby it would close.

Game is noticeably laggier since the update, and has ended up freezing everytime I play now. I never got the freezing before the update.

I'm going to take a break from Black Ops for a while. This is too frustrating. I will never buy a Treyarch game again, I swear. Seriously...this shit was $60 and it's a disaster on so many levels. Fuck Treyarch. Never again.

Lince

Banned
sorry if this has been answered already:

does Black Ops feature a host performance test ? (similar to that in Warhawk)

rating connections beforehand would lead to faster matchmaking and if you add an option to rate the host after the match you would have a day by day faster matchmaking system.

For instance:

-lobby of 8 players, one player has a host rating of 9 and a max player count of 8, so game starts immediately and plays with fine no lag issues or at least with minimum lag.

-lobby of 7 players, none of them has a host rating capable of hosting more than 5 players, matchmaking waits and looks for a player capable of hosting the game and so on.

-lobby of 8 players, one player has a host rating of 9 and a max player count of 12, so game starts immediately BUT the game plays with lag issues, maybe the host is no longer that good, most players would rate the host with a negative rating and next game it won't get host, of course the game should warn/display a message similar to this "your host rating has changed, please check your Internet connection status and settings and perform the host test again"

This would work much better than randomly assigning hosts based on ping without taking into account latency jitter and/or upload bandwidth consistency. Then again you'd need a proper netcode in place beforehand, but if you're not going for dedicated servers then host rating is the next best thing.

Got to be host in a ground war game in havana. Was looking forward to the patch to get back in the game.

Worst framerate in a game that I've played in the past 10 years. Unbelievable. You'd have to go back to bad n64 games or snes Tetris Attack to find a competitor in the least fps category.
I was getting destroyed trying to play smart because the fps made it impossible for me to aim. Look down hallway = 15 fps. ADS with it = 10. ADS looking downhallway while a napalm strike is in your view = 5.

Then I realized that if I run and gun, i'm indestructible. I had a solid 1 count on everyone.

This game is awful. My first impressions of the game is that this game was pure B grade from its head down to its toes. Now I know that wasn't harsh enough.

Top Bottom