• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Xater

bobs99 ... said:
I assume the same message pops up on all versions of the game though lol. Either way im just glad they didnt try a subscription service with Black Ops, I remember rumours that Activision wanted to do that with CoD like a year ago.

They still really want to do that, but who knows when or if it will actually happen.

Sectus

SMZC said:
Maybe the guy that is working his way towards the 11 killstreak in order to get the Gunship is actually on the losing team, in this case his Gunship could actually turn the match around based on the performance of this person alone. That's something a lot of us like about COD, the fact that even when you are on the losing team, you still stand a chance at doing well on your own or even at making your team win the match.
That's one big maybe. 90% of the time people getting killstreaks are the guys on the winning team.

I'd personally like to see the system altered. Maybe just do it similar to Worms. Make killstreaks and care packages randomly drop from the sky, with an increased chance of dropping near players who are doing poorly.

Silly question for those who have the game already:

do you stick to your teammates at the beginning of the round? That's even more annoying in objective gamemodes - particularly S&D.

Flek

Banned
Sectus said:
That's one big maybe. 90% of the time people getting killstreaks are the guys on the winning team.

I'd personally like to see the system altered. Maybe just do it similar to Worms. Make killstreaks and care packages randomly drop from the sky, with an increased chance of dropping near players who are doing poorly.

but players who are doing pooly (and therefore are bad players) don´t deserve killstreak packages.

RiverBed

Banned
I don't understand: the game is releasing today, yet not a single review is on Metacritic on any platform? What gives? I thought only bad games and movies didn't see reviews till launch. I know everybody is going to love it, so it can't be due to bad reviews.

Also, does anyone know if regional matching is in the PS3 version?

Xater

RiverBed said:
I don't understand: the game is releasing today, yet not a single review is on Metacritic on any platform? What gives? I thought only bad games and movies didn't see reviews till launch. I know everybody is going to love it, so it can't be due to bad reviews.

The game will be released on tuesday. Alot of people just already have their game.

RiverBed said:

Extremely high profile and highly anticipated games like this can only be hurt by reviews. There's no benefit to good reviews, because it's assumed it'll be great. Assasins Creed 2 is a good example of a game that had a strict embargo and turned out amazing.

cameltoe

coolcole93 said:
Silly question for those who have the game already:

do you stick to your teammates at the beginning of the round? That's even more annoying in objective gamemodes - particularly S&D.

So sticking together, as a team, to complete an objective annoys you? Hmmm

DoctorWho said:
Nope, it's a message in the lobby of live multiplayer. Sort of like their message of the day.

It also says "Have a nice day" right after. :lol
9a053f79.jpg

Perhaps a jab at EA and their VIP pass(BF:BC2) idea?

RiverBed

Banned
cameltoe said:
I think he means within close proximity; which I think is a noob mistake as a lot of you could die with one grenade or be sprayed together like bugs hugging. So I say move together if you want, but spread out a little so you won't die for the same reason your friend will.

I usually stick around near teammates in Search and Destroy so if one of us gets killed the other can hopefully get kill the guy who killed one of us. Or with two people you're more likely to see someone and take them down faster.

But there are times when my team is doing questionable things where I go off and try to force the objective myself and hope they follow suit.

NIN90

cameltoe said:

He probably means the annoying blocking that happens when players touch each other, which often happens at the start of the round.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So according to a video walkthrough for the game it can be beat in 5 hours on normal. Longer than Medal of Honor but still really short.

Flek

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
So according to a video walkthrough for the game it can be beat in 5 hours on normal. Longer than Medal of Honor but still really short.

so? Who cares? SP is only a add on to mp anyway. Nobody buys cod for the sp

Dinosaurr

Neo Member
I've been playing a while now and the only thing that's been bothering me are the spawns. I've got enemies spawning behind me sometimes.

What kind of options are there in Combat Training? I know you get to name your teammates with your friends gamertags, but can you pick how many opponents/team mates there are? What weapons they have?

BigBlackGamer said:
Day 6 of 8 is up. Some One In The Chamber MP play from last night and me laughing stupidly at the end. Here
What the hell? People crouching around oblivious to their surroundings and camping windows? You just walked up to some of those fools and knifed no problem...it was funny, but not intense.

In your video from yesterday on Jungle, I noticed you get killed by a sniper and in the killcam, there was zero recoil. I mean zero. Weird stuff, but thanks for the vids.

DoctorWho said:
Nope, it's a message in the lobby of live multiplayer. Sort of like their message of the day.

It also says "Have a nice day" right after. :lol

That is really bizarre. Joke maybe?

EDIT - the jab at EA makes sense now thinking about it.

shichishito said:
What the hell? People crouching around oblivious to their surroundings and camping windows? You just walked up to some of those fools and knifed no problem...it was funny, but not intense.

In your video from yesterday on Jungle, I noticed you get killed by a sniper and in the killcam, there was zero recoil. I mean zero. Weird stuff, but thanks for the vids.

I might be wrong here but I don't think killcam generally shows gun recoil IIRC. Could be wrong though.

Repgnar

RiverBed said:
It can't be a jab since BO has exclusive zombie maps with the special edition...

Pretty sure he's referring to the code that comes with new copies of BF. If you buy the game new you get certain parts of the MP unlocked for free.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I might be wrong here but I don't think killcam generally shows gun recoil IIRC. Could be wrong though.
Hmmm, maybe right, I could be remembering wrong in that it showed it. No biggie.

crimzonflame said:
Be prepared to have 'guests' on your team go 0-19 and 1-29.

Pfft, my buddy and I always do better in split-screen than the solo guys on our team in Reach. Can't wait to do the same in BO, so glad they have this feature!

Gaogaogao

snack said:
Bump for new page!

Black Ops (PC) for $45

http://www.direct2drive.com (IGN partner - it's safe)
Make an account or if you have an ign one, login.

Once in checkout, use PROMO CODE "bigsavings" - without the quotation marks.

One quick note, to complete the purchase, an automated machine will call you (input your number) and they'll give you a code to input (for safety reasons).

Then you can pre-download the game. You will get the key on November 9th.

NOTE: THIS GAME WILL WORK WITH (and only with) STEAM JUST LIKE THE DVD RETAIL/STEAM DOWNLOAD ONE.
thanks for the tip

Sethos

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Does the game still retain 60FPS in splitscreen? Does it look considerably worse too?

It's not 60FPS in splitscreen, I can tell you that. I tried it on my 42" TV and not only did I get massive black bars on the sides, the game wasn't very smooth and it didn't look very native, more like the regular image had been squished instead of properly optimized for the smaller space.

cameltoe said:
:lol No, I mean literally stick together. At the beginning of rounds, when you're all bunched up from the first spawn, everyone tries to run in different directions and the teams' hit boxes kinda get tangled up with each-other so you can't move freely. It's hard to explain..I'm sure someone on here knows what I mean.

EDIT: Yeah, this

NIN90 said:
He probably means the annoying blocking that happens when players touch each other, which often happens at the start of the round.

Dinosaurr

Neo Member
coolcole93 said:
:lol No, I mean literally stick together. At the beginning of rounds, when you're all bunched up from the first spawn, everyone tries to run in different directions and the teams' hit boxes kinda get tangled up with each-other so you can't move freely. It's hard to explain..I'm sure someone on here knows what I mean.

I think I know what you mean, It feels like lag or something. It is very annoying.

DoomGyver

coolcole93 said:

EDIT: Yeah, this
Yeah that shit pisses me off, especially when you're trying to pickup the bomb.

ACE 1991

Sethos said:
It's not 60FPS in splitscreen, I can tell you that. I tried it on my 42" TV and not only did I get massive black bars on the sides, the game wasn't very smooth and it didn't look very native, more like the regular image had been squished instead of properly optimized for the smaller space.

I expected some framerate drops, but this sounds like a huge bummer.

SMZC said:
Maybe the guy that is working his way towards the 11 killstreak in order to get the Gunship is actually on the losing team, in this case his Gunship could actually turn the match around based on the performance of this person alone. That's something a lot of us like about COD, the fact that even when you are on the losing team, you still stand a chance at doing well on your own or even at making your team win the match.

I'm not going to say COD's approach is better than others because this depends on personal preferences, but for those of us that prefer more of a "lone wolf" kind of play style, COD is better suited for us than, say, Halo (much more team based than COD, which might be a good thing for some, but not for others). And killstreaks, like I said, play a bit of a role in that.

Killstreaks were one of COD4's innovations to the genre, they add a new dynamic to the typical multiplayer FPS experience that is exciting and interesting. Personally, I would lose a bit of interest in the franchise if they got rid of killstreaks. I however agree with you on that it may need a revision in the way you obtain them. Perhaps they shouldn't even be "kill"streaks at all, at least depending on game mode. I don't have much of a complain in this regard because I always play TDM, anyway, but like many have complained over the years, it's ridiculous that people still get rewarded for their kills in objective game modes. How about giving rewards based on your performance when it comes to doing what the game mode you're playing is all about (capturing flags in Domination, planting/defusing in Search&Destroy, etc)? It baffles me that this hasn't been changed yet.

In any case, Black Ops has the Barebones playlists, which are killstreakless. If you hate the concept of killstreaks that much, you can always play that. Everyone is happy.

I too like killstreaks within the COD framework but generally feel that it doesn't really work in other types of games. However, MoH supposedly offers something like killstreaks but requires that certain point limits be reached to unlock them. I haven't played the game, but that system seems to be a bit more adaptable to changing game modes.

I keep thinking about multiplayer. I can't fucking wait to jump into the new online modes. One in the Chamber and Sharpshooter are going to be great but Gun Game...oh man. I might end up sucking at it, who knows, but I can't wait to try it.

bobs99 ... said:
I assume the same message pops up on all versions of the game though lol. Either way im just glad they didnt try a subscription service with Black Ops, I remember rumours that Activision wanted to do that with CoD like a year ago.

It's definitely on the 360 version.

cameltoe

jonnybryce said:
I keep thinking about multiplayer. I can't fucking wait to jump into the new online modes. One in the Chamber and Sharpshooter are going to be great but Gun Game...oh man. I might end up sucking at it, who knows, but I can't wait to try it.

I played 2 games of GG...finished 4th and 2nd....booo

jacksrb

Do we have a feel for what the buy-ins are for wager matches?

I assume there are certain tiers, and I heard on the Gamespot thing that if all players agree you can double down for that round.

I will probably playing the equivalent of the $5 blackjack table until I get better...

Spike6663

I think I might finally not bother with Veteran this time. I'm not sure if it's because my inner gamerscore-whore has died or because, like Valentines Day, it has just become another annual chore. Since 2005 I have grinded through COD on veteran and, although the MW games havn't been as hard as COD2/COD3, I fear Black Ops, with the return of infinetly spawning enemies, might ruin the campaign for me.

Do any of the early adopters here have any impressions of Veteran?

DoomGyver

The classic barebones SND/TDM with the 3/5/7 killstreaks is gonna be so sweet. :D I'm sure I'll probably play regular TDM at first but once I've had enough with the kiddystreaks I'm heading to barebones.

Has a list of all the barebones modes been confirmed?

Top Bottom