• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Najaf

johnFkennedy said:
Wow that was almost instant

Thanks though.

ZeroRay said:
We have some people Activision's payroll here, I see.

wasnt_me_button-p145626962714222182t5sj_400.jpg

chapel

Banned
I really don't understand why they want to keep people from watching. It only makes people want the game more... publishing companies are retarded.

Najaf

chapel said:
I really don't understand why they want to keep people from watching. It only makes people want the game more... publishing companies are retarded.

It is not so simple. They are in many cases contractually obligated to lock down footage like that. Gamespot recently had a major exclusive that would have been a big reveal if streams and youtube vids had not been showing up. Their traffic is impacted on what is sure to draw visits if any forum can simply link to an infinite stream of content that is not handled by the PR types. In the end, money is lost. And when money is lost, companies are not happy.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Najaf said:
It is not so simple. They are in many cases contractually obligated to lock down footage like that. Gamespot recently had a major exclusive that would have been a big reveal if streams and youtube vids had not been showing up. Their traffic is impacted on what is sure to draw visits if any forum can simply link to an infinite stream of content that is not handled by the PR types. In the end, money is lost. And when money is lost, companies are not happy.

While that makes sense for Gamespot, it does not make sense for Activision.

They're taking down literally millions of dollars worth of free advertising for them.

chapel

Banned
Najaf said:
For the end user though, it sucks, and that is what should matter, not gamespot or ign or bfe media company. Those sites are apart of the game pr machine, and its too bad.

Najaf

FTWer said:
While that makes sense for Gamespot, it does not make sense for Activision.

They're taking down literally millions of dollars worth of free advertising for them.

Yes, but in all likelihood they signed an exclusive deal with Gamespot. In that it would detail that not only can Activision not have footage of X type on other sites, but also that they must actively protect Gamespot's interests in regard to the exclusive. This means youtube and stream hunting.

Mik2121

I just played a game of MW2 after about a month without touching it (except for two days ago when I played one match), and damn...

Fucking noobtube, fucking snipers EVERYWHERE, fucking guys running with the knife (I thought this shit got fixed?)... I played two games and I was already feeling like throwing the controller outside the window...

Can't wait for Black Ops. Thanks god they have made the noobtube less of a problem and snipers got slightly fucked. That will teach them to not fucking go around small corridors with a fucking sniper acting like it were a shotgun...

johnFkennedy said:
Nuketown demolition

Shown through theatre mode no less. HOLY SHIT at the gunship spawn abuse!

Dawg...Jesus Christ, that is the absolute worst thing I could've seen about this game. If that doesn't justify a rage quit, I don't know what does.

Player controlled gun/turret/shooting based killstreaks are the worst thing that have happened with this franchise. None of them have added anything GOOD to gameplay IMO. The AC 130, Chopper Gunner, and their equivalents in Black Ops can all go to hell.

Net_Wrecker said:
Dawg...Jesus Christ, that is the absolute worst thing I could've seen about this game. If that doesn't justify a rage quit, I don't know what does.

Player controlled gun/turret/shooting based killstreaks are the worst thing that have happened with this franchise. None of them have added anything GOOD to gameplay IMO. The AC 130, Chopper Gunner, and their equivalents in Black Ops can all go to hell.

Agreed. Gunship already looks awful.

Gameplay looked fun other than that. Hopefully the medium-large maps actually support a slower, tactical playstyle. That's what I enjoy more than the super-soldier/runner style.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
As someone who loved MW1 but found MW2 to be atrocious ( wierd right? ) what are the prospects of me enjoying black ops? I guess what I'm trying to ask is where would Black ops fit in inbetween mw1 and mw2 ? Would it be somewhere in the middle, or more resembling either game?

Mik2121

Net_Wrecker said:

You can shoot the Gunship down now, can't you? They are pretty powerful, perhaps a bit too much, but that doesn't make them indestructible. Also I guess the fact that this is the smallest map has something to do with the abuse. It's like having a chopper gunner in Dust or whatever was the name of that horrible MW2 map based in the last environment of the campaign.

Net_Wrecker said:

Those people he was playing were total idiots. Don't take it too seriously.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Corky said:
As someone who loved MW1 but found MW2 to be atrocious ( wierd right? ) what are the prospects of me enjoying black ops? I guess what I'm trying to ask is where would Black ops fit in inbetween mw1 and mw2 ? Would it be somewhere in the middle, or more resembling either game?
From what I've seen it is basically MW2 set in the cold war and nothing at all like COD4.

Corky

Mr_Brit said:
From what I've seen it is basically MW2 set in the cold war and nothing at all like COD4.

dang it :(((, how is the cod4 community on PC? I was hoping that black ops would be a return to form but now I sincerely have to consider buying cod4 for the pc or something :{

edit : or dice could just release a ton of info on BF3 and settle my online-militaryshooter-nerves

Blutonium

Net_Wrecker said:

All it takes is one cold-blooded kit with a rocket. I think no one in that server unlocked either one of those :lol

Mik2121 said:
You can shoot the Gunship down now, can't you? They are pretty powerful, perhaps a bit too much, but that doesn't make them indestructible. Also I guess the fact that this is the smallest map has something to do with the abuse. It's like having a chopper gunner in Dust or whatever was the name of that horrible MW2 map based in the last environment of the campaign.

Doesn't take much for a killstreak like that to ruin any map, but at least the streaks don't stack kills so I guess we'll see less of them. Still hate it though.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Those people he was playing were total idiots. Don't take it too seriously.

You really don't have to be an idiot to be caught in a trap like that.

Xux

Max said:
I read bug, how is anything fixed?

/barely played mw2

They just call it a bug 'cause they prefer it being really loud to defuse. Being able to sit around a corner with a shotgun and pop out to kill someone diffusing when you hear the loud ass sound effect is supposedly a necessary part of maintaining the novelty of Search and Destroy.

Mik2121 said:

You probably could've always shot it down. It does look a little less invincible to a single person trying to take it out than the AC130 was despite the fact that it can apparently shoot down incoming missiles.

Corky said:

It looks like a more conservative sequel to COD4 than COD6 was that fixes issues people had with the last three games and adds some cool stuff. With dedicated servers you can probably avoid the stuff people find annoying if you really want to.

Rikyfree

Xux said:
They just call it a bug 'cause they prefer it being really loud to defuse. Being able to sit around a corner with a shotgun and pop out to kill someone diffusing when you hear the loud ass sound effect is supposedly a necessary part of maintaining the novelty of Search and Destroy.

You probably could've always shot it down. It does look a little less invincible to a single person trying to take it out than the AC130 was despite the fact that it can apparently shoot down incoming missiles.

It looks like a more conservative sequel to COD4 than COD6 was that fixes issues people had with the last three games and adds some cool stuff. With dedicated servers you can probably avoid the stuff people find annoying if you really want to.
I've also heard theres a classic mode too. It allows for 3, 5 and 7 kill streaks only.

Swag

Debating whether to get this for the PC or 360.

I know friendships will end if I get it for PC, friends been telling me get this on 360 for months now :lol

Rikyfree said:
I've also heard theres a classic mode too. It allows for 3, 5 and 7 kill streaks only.

Which is the main reason I am going to get this game so that I can avoid all the stupid over powered killstreaks. The higher the killstreaks rewards are, it makes people camp more which I absolutely hate.

That Gunship in the video above looks like it is really over powered, especially on that map, just wow. Not a good start for someone who had high hopes on this game that it would turn out more of a COD4/COD5 kind of game rather than the stupid MW2.

Haven't they really learned anything from the previous Call Of Duty games where there is so much spawn killing going on? How frustrating would it be if you get put into a game like that and the game keeps spawning you on the same side while there is a chopper gunner/gunship on top of you waiting to take you out.

EDIT: They also haven't taken that halo crouch/drop shot crap. When you do a bitch move like that they should atleast make it so that the accuracy has to drop, same goes with quick scoping. I don't care if they include these crap in the game but they should make it such a way that the accuracy/damage drops.

Xux

buy teh haloz said:
You can't really tell that just from the recoil...

Of course I can.

Though, I have read elsewhere that it's three shots to kill; not even two up close like the M60!

Oh well, I convinced my friends that the L86 is cheap in MW2 so I guess I can do it again with the RPK.

Xux said:
Of course I can.

Though, I have read elsewhere that it's three shots to kill; not even two up close like the M60!

Oh well, I convinced my friends that the L86 is cheap in MW2 so I guess I can do it again with the RPK.
The M60 also fires a lot slower. All I'm saying is that you can't really judge a gun unless you've used it in the game proper.

X26

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
Nuketown demolition

Shown through theatre mode no less. HOLY SHIT at the gunship spawn abuse!

ugh, douchebag camping for kills during an obective game, series will never be rid of them

edit: and killsreak counts beingcarried over between rounds is a joke, I thought they would have fixed this, it makes tubing harmless by comparisson

aku:jiki

Corky said:
dang it :(((, how is the cod4 community on PC? I was hoping that black ops would be a return to form but now I sincerely have to consider buying cod4 for the pc or something :{
No offense to Mr_Brit, but I think you managed to get a reply from the only person on earth who feels that way. I think the rest of us think Black Ops looks like what MW2 should have been - keeping the good stuff from CoD4 and WaW and adding new stuff while still balancing that new stuff and making sure they don't add too much.

X26 said:
edit: and killsreak counts beingcarried over between rounds is a joke, I thought they would have fixed this, it makes tubing harmless by comparisson
You did not just try to say that carry-over killstreaks are somehow worse than OMA-tubing. No way. Come back to reality, man. :lol :lol

Corky

aku:jiki said:
No offense to Mr_Brit, but I think you managed to get a reply from the only person on earth who feels that way. I think the rest of us think Black Ops looks like what MW2 should have been - keeping the good stuff from CoD4 and WaW and adding new stuff while still balancing that new stuff and making sure they don't add too much.

Oh nice, that got me back on board ^^

X26 said:
ugh, douchebag camping for kills during an obective game, series will never be rid of them

Well the camping is completely the people....not too much Treyarch can really do to prevent that one.

The gunship looks like a ton of fun to use. I think it won't normally be as effective as on a smaller map like that. People still have to get their way to those 11 kills which will be far rarer than in the past with the 5-7-11 combination that usually is how people got their AC130/Chopper Gunner.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dope4goldrope said:
Activision took down the floating apple video :lol
:lol Wow. Why do they keep removing all of these videos anyway? I could understand more if people were posting more campaign stuff but it's almost entirely multiplayer and it's just been making most people more hyped for the game. It's free PR.

Xater

RoboPlato said:
:lol Wow. Why do they keep removing all of these videos anyway? I could understand more if people were posting more campaign stuff but it's almost entirely multiplayer and it's just been making most people more hyped for the game. It's free PR.

If it's not in line with Activison PR it's not OK! They have this beautiful plan!

cameltoe

Blutonium said:
All it takes is one cold-blooded kit with a rocket. I think no one in that server unlocked either one of those :lol

you need ghost pro...ghost only hides from spyplane. Im up to level 20 and still no ghost pro..(havent looked to see what I need to do to get it)

I also got raped on that map by a gunship. You spawn and die, repeat....I joined into that mess...

My videos fail to upload to you tube. They are under 1gb and less then 10 minute WMV files.....WTF?

Top Bottom