• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Full Recovery said:
Has a list of all the barebones modes been confirmed?

Yeah there are separate lists for Core, Hardcore, Barebones, and Prestige.

Barebones doesn't unlock until level 16 though.

ArjanN

Spike6663 said:
I think I might finally not bother with Veteran this time. I'm not sure if it's because my inner gamerscore-whore has died or because, like Valentines Day, it has just become another annual chore. Since 2005 I have grinded through COD on veteran and, although the MW games havn't been as hard as COD2/COD3, I fear Black Ops, with the return of infinetly spawning enemies, might ruin the campaign for me.

Do any of the early adopters here have any impressions of Veteran?

Veteran was pretty easy in MW2 so I'll give it a try here.

Spike6663 said:
I think I might finally not bother with Veteran this time. I'm not sure if it's because my inner gamerscore-whore has died or because, like Valentines Day, it has just become another annual chore. Since 2005 I have grinded through COD on veteran and, although the MW games havn't been as hard as COD2/COD3, I fear Black Ops, with the return of infinetly spawning enemies, might ruin the campaign for me.

Do any of the early adopters here have any impressions of Veteran?
Someone told me you need to beat the campaign on veteran to unlock a zombie map. Now I've never managed to beat a campaign on the hardest difficulty so this is concerning if true.

aristotle

Spike6663 said:
Since 2005 I have grinded through COD on veteran and, although the MW games havn't been as hard as COD2/COD3, I fear Black Ops, with the return of infinetly spawning enemies, might ruin the campaign for me.

I thought they said they removed monster closets? Also...they were in W@W and MW1 (dunno about 2 since I haven't played more than half the SP). The infinite enemies have been there forever.

aristotle said:
I thought they said they removed monster closets? Also...they were in W@W and MW1 (dunno about 2 since I haven't played more than half the SP). The infinite enemies have been there forever.

Infinite respawning was removed in MW2 so I hope it's still removed in Black Ops.

cameltoe

jonnybryce said:
Wow, so jealous. What do you think of the mode overall? Something you'd want to go back to again and again or cooler on paper?

I played CS GG for 2 years straight....almost every day, loved it. With BO.....ummm, IDK....Im still used to how that felt and this feels wrong to me....

.....Ill play it some more though.

Mik2121

Brian Fellows said:
Yeah there are separate lists for Core, Hardcore, Barebones, and Prestige.

Barebones doesn't unlock until level 16 though.
Got some link explaining what those lists are about?

Jb

Spike6663 said:
I fear Black Ops, with the return of infinetly spawning enemies, might ruin the campaign for me.
Is that confirmed? :/
Any word on the grenade spamming in the campaign? That + respawning enemies is what I hate most about CoD games. It's just so fucking cheap.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
~Kinggi~ said:
So according to a video walkthrough for the game it can be beat in 5 hours on normal. Longer than Medal of Honor but still really short.

Shame that it's the exact same length as MW2.
Seems the 10+ hours COD2 had is a completely unreachable goal nowadays.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just unlocked the Barebones playlist.

Pure: No perks, killstreaks, attachments, equipment, or contracts

Classic: Killstreaks locked at 3, 5, and 7

Team Tactical: 4 on 4 version of Pure

Starting to get a little worried that Tescoentertainment still haven't taken the money out of my account. Has anyone here used them before and do they take the money out automatically when they despatch the game?

DoomGyver

Brian Fellows said:

Classic:

Thanks. so_good.gif

Spike6663

grap3fruitman said:
Someone told me you need to beat the campaign on veteran to unlock a zombie map. Now I've never managed to beat a campaign on the hardest difficulty so this is concerning if true.

That would be a bit silly surely?

Brian Fellows said:

Classic:

Awww yeeaahhh.

kaskade

I put my preorder in on Amazon, release date shipping. Reading all the little things on here are getting me even more excited. I haven't been excited for a CoD since 4.

Brian Fellows said:

Beautiful.

Which game modes are in each playlist, if you don't mind?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Brian Fellows said:
Pure and Classic are just TDM

Team Tactical is objective based

I know some people will be disappointed by this, but I'm glad. Having every mode for Pure and every mode for Classic would triple the amount of playlists, which would be way too much. Although I do think they should add a Classic version of Team Tactical as well, if only because it's an odd omission.

Sub_Level said:
I know some people will be disappointed by this, but I'm glad. Having every mode for Pure and every mode for Classic would triple the amount of playlists, which would be way too much. Although I do think they should add a Classic version of Team Tactical as well, if only because it's an odd omission.

Not that necessary in my opinion. How rare will a substantial killstreak happen if there are only 4 players per team?

Bit sad that there aren't at least one or two more Pure playlists, but Vahn did say that they can easily be updated so hopefully they'll keep an ear out.

Manus

Just preordered my copy today. Can't wait to play, I'm lucky enough to have Wednesday and Thursday off from work.

Been playing MW2 again today, I know it's apples to oranges right now but I will be so glad to see kill streaks not earning other kill streaks, also stopping power being removed is most welcomed by me, in MW2 I find that if you choose to not use it you can be at a real disadvantage in a handful of situations.

Diablohead said:
Been playing MW2 again today, I know it's apples to oranges right now but I will be so glad to see kill streaks not earning other kill streaks, also stopping power being removed is most welcomed by me, in MW2 I find that if you choose to not use it you can be at a real disadvantage in a handful of situations.

I'm a little sad to see killstreaks changing. I'm ok and usually racked up 28,35,42 kills and I'd probably credit 50% to killstreaks stacking. I see why they did it but at the same time everyone has the same opportunity to earn killstreaks, it's not like being screwed because you didn't equip stopping power or you're versing someone with painkiller.

Sectus said:
I'd personally like to see the system altered. Maybe just do it similar to Worms. Make killstreaks and care packages randomly drop from the sky, with an increased chance of dropping near players who are doing poorly.
This would be so completely horrible. :lol Why on earth would you punish the people who are better at the game?

Flek

Banned
i heard many reports from guys who already own the game that the MP is region locked!! (ps3). They said "AT-Versions" (Austria) can only play with owners of other AT Versions. So they can not play with Users with the UK Version or the German Version and vice versa of course.…

ahh wtf is this? Can anyone cofirm or deny this?

iNvid02

BigBlue1974 said:
This would be so completely horrible. :lol Why on earth would you punish the people who are better at the game?

jesus that would be horrific. i heard some people moaning about the gunship looking overpowered - its the final killstreak, you need 11 weapon kills to get it without dying, and kills are not stacking, its perfectly balanced.

as for rewarding shit players, no. only option is to improve your game, and get rewarded

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
iNvidious01 said:
jesus that would be horrific. i heard some people moaning about the gunship looking overpowered - its the final killstreak, you need 11 weapon kills to get it without dying, and kills are not stacking, its perfectly balanced.

as for rewarding shit players, no. only option is to improve your game, and get rewarded

Yeah if you let someone get 11 in a row on that tiny level you deserve to get raped by a gunship.

Xater

Flek said:
i heard many reports from guys who already own the game that the MP is region locked!! (ps3). They said "AT-Versions" (Austria) can only play with owners of other AT Versions. So they can not play with Users with the UK Version or the German Version and vice versa of course.…

ahh wtf is this? Can anyone cofirm or deny this?

Um you can choose between world wide matchmaking or region matchmaking.

Maffis

iNvidious01 said:

But what about care package? You can probably get a gunship in that one, so people will just go with 3-5-7 as usual and hope for the best in care packages. I know I will.

Mik2121

Xater said:
That's pretty cool. Though current matchmaking in MW2 already matches me with people from my region... I have never played a laggy game of MW2, actually..

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The re-spawn system is pretty fucking horrid. Most of my deaths come within about 10 feet of where I re-spawn. Many time from someone who just re-spawned in the same exact spot right behind me.

Flek

Banned
Xater said:

uh ok … they just said whenever they invited somone from a nother region that this person could not join.

Loxley

Brian Fellows said:
The re-spawn system is pretty fucking horrid. Most of my deaths come within about 10 feet of where I re-spawn. Many time from someone who just re-spawned in the same exact spot right behind me.

At this point it wouldn't be a worthy entry in the franchise if it didn't have shitty spawns :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Loxley said:
At this point it wouldn't be a worthy entry in the franchise if it didn't have shitty spawns :lol

I never had any problems at all with the spawns in MW2's TDM. I could always figure out the flow of the game and asses which direction the enemy would be coming from. Here its just completely random.

I just played a match on Grid and sat back watching the spawn area. It re-spawned about 4 or 5 people from each team in the exact same spot in a 30-40 second span.

Voltron64

Brian Fellows said:
I never had any problems at all with the spawns in MW2's TDM. I could always figure out the flow of the game and asses which direction the enemy would be coming from. Here its just completely random.

I just played a match on Grid and sat back watching the spawn area. It re-spawned about 4 or 5 people from each team in the exact same spot in a 30-40 second span.
Uh-oh... not good.

Anyone in the Los Angeles area find the game? PM me. I need to test out these spawns. :lol

Xater

Flek said:
uh ok … they just said whenever they invited somone from a nother region that this person could not join.

Might be anetwork issue of they just did something to the AT version that makes it incompatible. I mean did change some stuff for it.

Brian Fellows said:
I never had any problems at all with the spawns in MW2's TDM.

Really? What you describe with BO so far sums up my experience with MW2. I'd clear an area, turn around and head off to a new position only to get shot in the back from the area I just cleared.

shichishito said:
Really? What you describe with BO so far sums up my experience with MW2. I'd clear an area, turn around and head off to a new position only to get shot in the back from the area I just cleared.

You forgot to check the ceiling.

Just got it 3 days early on PC... now please tell me I can install...

"Black Ops cannot be intalled yet, because it is not yet released"

FUCK YOU STEAM. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

X26

Banned
jonnybryce said:
I'm a little sad to see killstreaks changing. I'm ok and usually racked up 28,35,42 kills and I'd probably credit 50% to killstreaks stacking. I see why they did it but at the same time everyone has the same opportunity to earn killstreaks, it's not like being screwed because you didn't equip stopping power or you're versing someone with painkiller.

only way you were racking up that many kills a match is in objectve modes, which just goes to show how desperately this game needed to nerf killstreaks

objective game modes may actually be playable in black ops, it's beautiful

Top Bottom