• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

O D I N

Skilotonn said:
Someone who's a bigger Black Ops fan than me (probably most of you guys) can make a thread for this: new Black Ops Map Pack just announced on Major Nelson's blog called Escalation.

4 brand new maps, plus one new Zombies map with new characters, on May 3rd, time-exclusive to 360, no price announced, but you all know what to expect.

http://majornelson.com/2011/04/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-escalation-game-add-on/

Yay and such.

I'll wait for the map previews before I decided to drop money on it.

Tamanon said:
Oh hey, that leaked ad was right.

Can't wait to see the new maps. Hotel sounds promising.

Agreed. Zoo sounds like it could be fun too.

3ur4zn said:
It is practically inconceivable to die 25 times on Nuketown, considering most TDM's last about 4 minutes on that tiny map. So yes, he deserves a hate message for challenging the fundamental theory of causality.

Who the fuck sends messages to people for being bad, is your life really impacted that much by someone else sucking? I get pissed when my team sucks but they know they suck, I don't need to confirm it for them.

oh yeah....

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
aku:jiki said:
You really should play a few matches going mid/semilong-range with a sniper. See how bullshit it is when some Galil-using random picks you off with ease as you're still struggling with the dumbass sway.

I've been picking off Snipers with ease at long distance using assault rifles since COD4.

aku:jiki

3ur4zn said:
Do you realise how immeasurably ignorant you appear in regards to this entire issue?
Dude. Come back to reality. Why did you type that? You know guys like me, divisionbyzorro and a few others are CoD experts. Don't you even try this win-by-being-condescending bullshit with me.

3ur4zn said:
This generalisation nearly made me fall over. I propose you go into Combat Simulator and no-scope a meatsack from behind. Often, it misses completely from point-blank range.
I haven't bothered testing it so I don't know if it's 100% or 90%. You should test this yourself in an IW game and see how much less often noscopes hit in their games. You are entirely incorrect here, just accept it for once and stop embarassing yourself.

3ur4zn said:
Your astonishing ability to redefine the concept of generalisation is without peer. Clearly, Treyarch wanted to eliminate the over-powered nature of close-combat sniping. They achieved this, in the fairest way possible, and relegated the to a deadly, long-range, skill-based weapon, THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.
No, the "astonishing" thing here is that you, and most other people, keep talking about the concept of a sniper rifle as an actual real-life weapon employed in real-life scenarios. If that's what we were talking about, you'd all be right and I'd be stupid.

But what's even more "astonishing" is that you keep changing the basis of the discussion, and keep referring to these concepts as abstracts when, in fact, we're talking about the specific game of Black Ops. Saying shit like "they way it should be" is just retarded. A game needs its own self-contained rules and since this is not a simulator, reality is not a factor.

I mean, you keep ignoring the fact that the aspects of sniping that snap talks about - the weird scope-in sway, the inaccuracy, etc - affect long-range sniping much more than it affects quickscoping. Please just think about that one for a second. You scope in, the sights sway - do you think it's harder to hit if the guy is 5 feet away and your scope is full of torso, or when he's 500 feet away and all you see is a forehead? And in this game, with the map size and assault rifle accuracy, snipers actually do get taken out by that forehead in the distance. His Galil doesn't have any sway and he can aim at me much faster than I can aim at him.

You can't just keep ignoring all the factors of this discussion - you have to consider facts like that most maps don't allow for "proper sniping" at all. And, yes, some of us do "have to" snipe. We like it that much. And, by the way, it's about the challenge, the idea that people use snipers because "it's so easy" is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Aggressive sniping is the toughest thing you can do in an online FPS and it didn't need to be made even harder.

Again. Don't even try to condescend your way out of this. It's embarassing.

O D I N

cuevas said:
The thing is, every gun misses cuz the hit detection is still garbage.

True that.

Nothing rages me more when I STAB someone, and I die, or when my tomahawk goes through someone. Even in the killcam (rage inducing during FKC).

O D I N said:
True that.

Nothing rages me more when I STAB someone, and I die, or when my tomahawk goes through someone. Even in the killcam (rage inducing during FKC).

Yeah when you lunge and you die it's a great feeling.

O D I N said:
My spider sense is telling me you hate knifers?

No I'm a big knifer, I always die because I try to "bro rush" people. There are times though when you lunge and still get killed because the game didn't recognize it.

Dude. Come back to reality. Why did you type that? You know guys like me, divisionbyzorro and a few others are CoD experts. Don't you even try this win-by-being-condescending bullshit with me.

KuGsj.gif

I'm not bothering to read the rest of your post. You are delusional. You're as much a COD expert as I am fluent in Chinese Mandarin. Your perspective on the sniping issue is narrow-minded, clumsy and entirely irrelevant. As you admitted, you're in the minority, and in one for a reason.

cuevas said:
Who the fuck sends messages to people for being bad, is your life really impacted that much by someone else sucking?

You're the genius who equated 'hate mail' with 'real-life-emotion'. Do I walk away from the game, stewing over a loss because XXCaptain PlanetzXX went 2 - 31? No, but in the COD realm, whilst waiting for the lobby countdown, I sometimes fire off a rocket to induce my team-mates to shape up. Much colourful and creative language is used, no harm is done, and I continue my merry real-world dance through life, grinning broadly. Or something.

You're a twit.

I've decided to quote this again. You might, on the THIRD try and with my assistance, get someone to react to your 'picturesaysathousandswords' rebuttal. I hope for your ego's sake someone does.

So who is planning to buy the new maps? I obviously won't be this time round, but would be interested to see the level of buyer's remorse from the last round?

cuevas said:
The thing is, every gun misses cuz the hit detection is still garbage.
I was about to say this. That clip is just a lag freakout.

The description is retarded too, and written by someone who's never used the PSG1. The kid isn't "showing off," he's acting frustrated that the guy won't die even though everything he does should have worked. We seem to keep coming back to that, that lots of people have to comment on things they have no experience with.

3ur4zn said:
KuGsj.gif

I'm not bothering to read the rest of your post. You are delusional. You're as much a COD expert as I am fluent in Chinese Mandarin. Your perspective on the sniping issue is narrow-minded, clumsy and entirely irrelevant. As you admitted, you're in the minority, and in one for a reason.
Wow, you really are 12. The saddest part is how convinced you are that you come off as intelligent.

tsigo

3ur4zn said:
I sometimes fire off a rocket to induce my team-mates to shape up.

Sounds like you're the delusional one. You really think the guy who just went 1 and 19 gets your message, goes "You know what? This angry psychopath I've never met is right, I'm going to start playing better!" and then instantly gains skill? No. He's playing to have fun, and doesn't care what his ratio is or what Random Internet Guy thinks of him.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
3ur4zn said:
So who is planning to buy the new maps? I obviously won't be this time round, but would be interested to see the level of buyer's remorse from the last round?

I am. I have no problems with the last map pack. I really like Discovery and Kowloon. The other two are alright.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Brian Fellows said:
I am. I have no problems with the last map pack. I really like Discovery and Kowloon. The other two are alright.
Yeah, playing with buddies I enjoyed most of the pack so I'll probably be picking up the next one.

O D I N

I was about to say this. That clip is just a lag freakout.

The description is retarded too, and written by someone who's never used the PSG1. The kid isn't "showing off," he's acting frustrated that the guy won't die even though everything he does should have worked. We seem to keep coming back to that, that lots of people have to comment on things they have no experience with.

:-/

Remind me to not write in my descriptions again.

He kept trying to do things like that the whole game. I'll just drop it.

It really sucks what happened to Demolition after that 500 kill video. That's basically all it is now. Parties beating on clueless randoms. Guess I finally have to switch game modes!

O D I N said:
:-/

Remind me to not write in my descriptions again.

He kept trying to do things like that the whole game. I'll just drop it.
Oh, I'm sorry, didn't know it was yours! What I mean is that I know what he felt in that clip. I can tell from how he shoots that he's going "WTF, why is nothing hitting?" and as someone who uses the PSG1 a lot right now, I agree with him that what he did should've worked.

O D I N

Oh, I'm sorry, didn't know it was yours! What I mean is that I know what he felt in that clip. I can tell from how he shoots that he's going "WTF, why is nothing hitting?" and as someone who uses the PSG1 a lot right now, I agree with him that what he did should've worked.

No worries. :)

Out of the Snipers, I'm a big PSG1 fan (I also like it cause it was in MGS... >_> Don't judge... That's how I like my weapons...).

What I got from him shooting with the "WTF isn't this hitting?!" was "please hit oh gods please hit he's defusing!" To which he followed up with the knife fail. That lobby was practically in tears over it. XD

I think we can all agree hit detection is whack in this game.

kuYuri

3ur4zn said:
No.
KuGsj.gif

The official Escalation map-pack thread has a grand total of 1 reply since the official announcement...

The bubble has burst, people.

Check again, there's like 5 now.

Besides, collective GAF hates Black Ops and most of the discussion is here.

The quickscope anger here is new to me. I have never, EVER, in all of my time playing any fps this gen, seen a quickscoper dominate a match. At best the good ones barely break even in a match.

snap0212

computers putin' said:
The quickscope anger here is new to me. I have never, EVER, in all of my time playing any fps this gen, seen a quickscoper dominate a match. At best the good ones barely break even in a match.
Really? The good ones break even? I don't know who you're playing with then.

The most interesting part of this whole discussion is that no one wants to say anything about the randomness. All people care about is how sniper rifles got nerfed and how that's the right thing to do (nerfing sniper rifles), but no one says anything about the randomness of the hit detection when using a sniper rifle. It's way worse than with a regular gun. You guys can be pro nerfing sniper rifles, but if you really think randomness in a competitive online shooter is a good thing, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

One of you guys should tell me why randomness is a good thing in online shooters. Please try to make me understand why anyone would want it in any online shooter. And please don't even mention quickscoping or anything like that. There are other ways to prevent people from quickscoping. Countless games do it...

JonCha

So ELPRESADOR's claims that the hit detection is that bad in this game are correct? I was considering renting this for a little while, but I can see a flood of bad experiences coming my way again.

It's taken me embarassingly long to realize but what drives me crazy with this game is that I'm always pulling host. I used to never notice because I would never rage quit but now I've had it and do, and every time a match is just unplayable beyond measure I was the host and that's like every second game now...

So how can I make sure I never have to be host again? Could I just run torrents at low speeds to mess up my ping just a little bit?

_Alkaline_ said:
How arrogant do you have to be to label yourself an expert at a game?
Haha, really? How insecure do you have to be to be bothered by someone thinking they're knowledgable about a game? Don't turn that into more than what it is.

(Also, saying "I'm an expert" is an ancient GAF meme. Don't blame me if you're GAF noobs!)

JonCha said:
So ELPRESADOR's claims that the hit detection is that bad in this game are correct? I was considering renting this for a little while, but I can see a flood of bad experiences coming my way again.

It's hard to explain as it's more of it feeling 'off'. After not having many/any issues with the previous CoD games when it comes to hit detection, as soon as I started playing BO, it just didn't feel right and still doesn't now (in fact the net code seems to be getting worse). Treyarch also denied there is a problem.

Also, isn't ElPresador like some sort of joker?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I finally gave the shotties some TLC and I am thoroughly enjoying the Stakeout. It can be a real bitch to use in hardcore, but it's incredibly satisfying when you start racking up kills.

JonCha

MarkMclovin said:
It's hard to explain as it's more of it feeling 'off'. After not having many/any issues with the previous CoD games when it comes to hit detection, as soon as I started playing BO, it just didn't feel right and still doesn't now (in fact the net code seems to be getting worse). Treyarch also denied there is a problem.

Also, isn't ElPresador like some sort of joker?

I heard they denied it was bad. Idiots.

ELPRESADOR does joke and play on his act, but he consistently bashes the hit detection in Black Ops. On a recent vid he got up right close to someone, shot them five times in the head with a sniper and it did nothing. They turned around, fired a few shots off and he was dead.

Haha, really? How insecure do you have to be to be bothered by someone thinking they're knowledgable about a game? Don't turn that into more than what it is.

(Also, saying "I'm an expert" is an ancient GAF meme. Don't blame me if you're GAF noobs!)

Why do you always shove things onto others instead of accepting when you go wrong?

As for the expert thing, you didn't use it in the context it's supposed to be used. I know the meme. That wasn't it. If it was intended to be, it was done poorly.

Magik

JonCha said:

He is correct. Something about the way the game handles hit detection is really off. All the CoD games has had issues with hit detection, but with BLOPS, its the worse by far.

You're going to come across situations where you're landing a good 4-6 shots yet not kill the opponent while he shots you once and you drop dead in a heartbeat. You'll also come across what I call the "magic knife" where you're opponent will swing a knife in the air and magically kills you even though you're not even in his view or no where near him.

Whats really bad about BLOPS online is the ghost lag where people tend to be of you by a whole second or two. ie. You'll be rushing around the corner, pull your ADS up, shot a few bullets, but all of a sudden you lose the gun battle to only find out through the kill cam that you were still in your running motion and never even pulled out your gun because you were 1 second behind your opponent.

When the game runs correctly, its a fun game, but when it doesn't, which is the majority of the time, its rage-inducing.

One thing I don't get about this game are the headshots. They are seriously bugged. Headshots clear as day are body shots, and body shots somehow become head shots.

snap0212 said:
Really? The good ones break even? I don't know who you're playing with then.

The most interesting part of this whole discussion is that no one wants to say anything about the randomness. All people care about is how sniper rifles got nerfed and how that's the right thing to do (nerfing sniper rifles), but no one says anything about the randomness of the hit detection when using a sniper rifle. It's way worse than with a regular gun. You guys can be pro nerfing sniper rifles, but if you really think randomness in a competitive online shooter is a good thing, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

One of you guys should tell me why randomness is a good thing in online shooters. Please try to make me understand why anyone would want it in any online shooter. And please don't even mention quickscoping or anything like that. There are other ways to prevent people from quickscoping. Countless games do it...

Two points.

One, few (if anyone) is arguing that randomness is good. Problem is, almost EVERYTHING is random in this game, and considering the hit detection, most guns seem to be affected by randomness. As a result, when you've got a minuscule portion of the COD population whingeing about random sniper-rifle scoping, everyone else is to busy wondering why their AR didn't hit the target.

Secondly, quickscoping is game-breaking in COD due to Call of Duty's arcadey style, small and confined maps and the developer's focus on frenetic, close-quarter combat. I think even you'd admit that quickscoping's effectiveness as a playstyle is greatly reduced in all other online shooters. COD's styles aids quickscoping. Hence the nerfing.

How did you jump to the conclusion he's insecure from his reponse? How did you jump to the conclusion he was 'bothered' by your knowledge? Baffling. I really want to understand the though processes here.

saving_face.gif

Kermit The Dog said:
How did you jump to the conclusion he's insecure from his reponse? How did you jump to the conclusion he was 'bothered' by your knowledge? Baffling. I really want to understand the though processes here.
How did you jump to the conclusion that I'm arrogant? No, saying that you think you're good at something is not the definition of arrogance.

I mean, both of you are acting annoyed because someone on the internet dared have a bit of an ego about something and you're trying to tell me that I need to get real, and "it's just a game" and shit. It's just a forum post by a person you're never going to meet, guys. Get over it?

O D I N

Stallion Free said:
I finally gave the shotties some TLC and I am thoroughly enjoying the Stakeout. It can be a real bitch to use in hardcore, but it's incredibly satisfying when you start racking up kills.

I'm a big fan of the Stakeout. Nice choice there. :)

How did you jump to the conclusion that I'm arrogant? No, saying that you think you're good at something is not the definition of arrogance.

When did I claim you were arrogant? Why did you jump to the conclusion I consider you arrogant? You're not very good at this. I never made such a claim. I simply think you're a bit of a plonker.

I mean, both of you are acting annoyed because someone on the internet dared have a bit of an ego about something and you're trying to tell me that I need to get real, and "it's just a game" and shit. It's just a forum post by a person you're never going to meet, guys. Get over it?

I'm not annoyed. I never said you need to get real, and I never said, nor did Alkaline, that "it's just a game and shit". The fact I'll never met you has no bearing on your ability to act like a clown. I considered your claim to be cringe-worthy and misguided, and I was slyly attempting to suggest why I consider your opinion to be worthless, but at no point was I annoyed.

You have Cuevas' assumptive-bullshit disease.

He is correct. Something about the way the game handles hit detection is really off. All the CoD games has had issues with hit detection, but with BLOPS, its the worse by far.

I can't blame Treyarch solely, because WaW's hit detection was spot-on. I am continually baffled as to how it got so bad in BO.

just my two cents, but the whole zoom-in sway is ridiculous. I don't care if it's more accurate to real life, but it just makes sniping less fun. I'm not one for quick/no-scoping unless I'm surprised at close range, but it affects how I snipe from long range.

That said, is there a way to render clips from fileshares in this game?

Wow, I don't check this thread over the weekend and everyone goes and gets themselves all angry.

Getting really tired of a bug that was supposedly fixed with the last update. Had about 15-20 instances this weekend of going into second chance and instead of pulling out my pistol it leaves my default gun up. This is super annoying.

thezerofire said:
just my two cents, but the whole zoom-in sway is ridiculous. I don't care if it's more accurate to real life, but it just makes sniping less fun. I'm not one for quick/no-scoping unless I'm surprised at close range, but it affects how I snipe from long range.

That said, is there a way to render clips from fileshares in this game?
Are you talking about the sway that is almost nonexistent when compared to cod? Seriously it's barely there anymore.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Wow, I don't check this thread over the weekend and everyone goes and gets themselves all angry.

Getting really tired of a bug that was supposedly fixed with the last update. Had about 15-20 instances this weekend of going into second chance and instead of pulling out my pistol it leaves my default gun up. This is super annoying.

How is that annoying? Going into last stand and killing someone with your primary while you're invincible must really suck!!!!

mr_boo

Kermit The Dog said:
I can't blame Treyarch solely, because WaW's hit detection was spot-on. I am continually baffled as to how it got so bad in BO.
I think you probably have to - I would guess there are two factors here. The in-game Sniper mechanics were (as we all know) purposely modified - any modification to these mechanics could result in something unintentional. In other words, it's not the same code base, though it's based off the same code base - there's a small difference there.

On the second point, the netcode has been tweaked too, most notably for the accommodations of new features like split screen and match recording. Here, I would imagine some impact to to game play, but strangely enough, the issues mostly have to do with Sniper issues only (mostly).

Anyways, IMO - Treyarch didn't normalize Sniper game play, they severely neutered it. It's not only the mechanics that are screwy, the initial map designs also do not promote Sniper play. I think the rarity of a sniper in any given match play is a pretty clear indicator that something's not right.

cuevas said:
Are you talking about the sway that is almost nonexistent when compared to cod? Seriously it's barely there anymore.
compared to cod:what? I'm talking about Black Ops...Idle sway doesn't annoy me, but the sway when scoping in does

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, the zoom-in sway makes sense, means you get penalized if you're not focusing on an area already, otherwise it becomes to easy to snipe a wide area.

My only beef with sniping is the invisible wall, especially around some railings like on WMD. Where I'll draw a perfect bead on another sniper, and the bullet'll just disappear because there's a small invincible section there.

Tamanon said:
Eh, the zoom-in sway makes sense, means you get penalized if you're not focusing on an area already, otherwise it becomes to easy to snipe a wide area.

My only beef with sniping is the invisible wall, especially around some railings like on WMD. Where I'll draw a perfect bead on another sniper, and the bullet'll just disappear because there's a small invincible section there.
even if you're focusing on an area, it just throws your aim off. it seems like it rewards staying in scope and watching a close area, instead of watching a wide area, and then shooting where you want.

Top Bottom