• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

mr_boo said:
I think you probably have to - I would guess there are two factors here. The in-game Sniper mechanics were (as we all know) purposely modified - any modification to these mechanics could result in something unintentional. In other words, it's not the same code base, though it's based off the same code base - there's a small difference there.

On the second point, the netcode has been tweaked too, most notably for the accommodations of new features like split screen and match recording. Here, I would imagine some impact to to game play, but strangely enough, the issues mostly have to do with Sniper issues only (mostly).

Anyways, IMO - Treyarch didn't normalize Sniper game play, they severely neutered it. It's not only the mechanics that are screwy, the initial map designs also do not promote Sniper play. I think the rarity of a sniper in any given match play is a pretty clear indicator that something's not right.

Good post! Fully agree.

cuevas said:
Are you talking about the sway that is almost nonexistent when compared to cod? Seriously it's barely there anymore.

How is that annoying? Going into last stand and killing someone with your primary while you're invincible must really suck!!!!

Nice sarcasm, but I think you failed to get the point of my post. With the way the bug is now, you never pull out your pistol and your default weapon stays out. Oh yeah, and you can't fire it. So you die. That's annoying.

aku:jiki

Tamanon said:
Eh, the zoom-in sway makes sense, means you get penalized if you're not focusing on an area already, otherwise it becomes to easy to snipe a wide area.
The sway actually has the exact opposite effect. Your scope does not come up where you pre-aimed, which means you get penalized for playing correctly. You're watching an objective, with your eyes and reticule on the most commonly used path. Guy shows up, you scope in and end up 5 feet to the right of where you were aiming and die. And staying scoped at all times to avoid this is not the right way to snipe in an online FPS - you need your field of vision!

Really don't see how anyone can keep arguing that this is good design. It's just completely insane design.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Nice sarcasm, but I think you failed to get the point of my post. With the way the bug is now, you never pull out your pistol and your default weapon stays out. Oh yeah, and you can't fire it. So you die. That's annoying.

Good, you should be punished for using it.

aku:jiki said:
The sway actually has the exact opposite effect. Your scope does not come up where you pre-aimed, which means you get penalized for playing correctly. You're watching an objective, with your eyes and reticule on the most commonly used path. Guy shows up, you scope in and end up 5 feet to the right of where you were aiming and die. And staying scoped at all times to avoid this is not the right way to snipe in an online FPS - you need your field of vision!

Really don't see how anyone can keep arguing that this is good design. It's just completely insane design.
pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned. Like I said, idle sway doesn't concern me, I just want to scope in to where I'm aiming.

mr_boo

KoreanBarbecue said:
Classy response. Also, screw this thread. You've done a great job of ruining it for me.
Try not to take it too personal. Some of the folks that participate in this thread are old dogs that have been around for awhile. Think of them as "crabby old people" (no dis-respect) - they've got the experience and background knowledge to provide a lot of info...it's just the delivery that's not always so kosher.

mr_boo said:
Try not to take it too personal. Some of the folks that participate in this thread are old dogs that have been around for awhile. Think of them as "crabby old people" (no dis-respect) - they've got the experience and background knowledge to provide a lot of info...it's just the delivery that's not always so kosher.

I try and have tried. I just came in looking to get some input on a glitch in the game and just get rage and hate because someone hates a particular Perk I use. Maybe I just come from the school of "if you don't have anything productive to contribute to a discussion, don't."

snacknuts

we all knew her
Do you guys have one or two classes that you pretty much stick to, or do you have several that you use depending on what kind of mood you're in? Having prestiged three times, I'm up to seven available custom classes, but I pretty much use three of them depending on what map I'm on. There are a couple I will use in specific instances (an AA class with a Strela, a Hardline Pro class I switch to before I toss a care package), but it's always an AR with some variation on a core group of perks. (I don't have any sniper, LMG, shotgun, or SMG classes built.)

Just curious what the rest of you guys do.

zesty said:
Do you guys have one or two classes that you pretty much stick to, or do you have several that you use depending on what kind of mood you're in? Having prestiged three times, I'm up to seven available custom classes, but I pretty much use three of them depending on what map I'm on. There are a couple I will use in specific instances (an AA class with a Strela, a Hardline Pro class I switch to before I toss a care package), but it's always an AR with some variation on a core group of perks. (I don't have any sniper, LMG, shotgun, or SMG classes built.)

I pretty much stuck to one weapon for every two prestiges but now that I'm staying I have classes with 7 different weapons just to change it up.

I usually switch weapons as I prestige, but it's usually the same general set up, one for TDM and one for Search
MP5 -> Enfield (I know) ->FAMAS -> Galil -> AK47 -> Commando

with these classes

AR dual mags
pistol secondary
frag
concussion
any equipment
Hardline Pro
Hardened Pro/Sleight of hand Pro
Hacker Pro

AR suppressed
pistol secondary
frag
concussion
claymore
ghost pro
sleight of hand pro
hacker pro

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
zesty said:

I have special classes set up for Nuketown and Kowloon. I use the same class for all the other maps.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Brian Fellows said:
I have special classes set up for Nuketown and Kowloon. I use the same class for all the other maps.

Can I ask what you're running on Kowloon? I have tried a number of different things, but it seems like no matter I do, I get killed on this one whenever I play it. (Note: I pretty much play TDM exclusively.)

My go-to class is:

Galil w/ suppressor/dual mags
Crossbow
Claymore
Frag
Concussion
Ghost Pro
Warlord Pro
Hacker Pro

Nuketown/Summit/Firing Range:

FAMAS w/ dual mags
China Lake
Claymore
Frag
Concussion
Flak Jacket Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Tactical Mask Pro

Jungle/Radiation/sometimes Havana:

G11 (no attachments)
CZ75
Claymore
Frag
Concussion
Ghost Pro
Hardened Pro
Hacker Pro

I'm just about to hit Prestige 8 and pretty much exclusively used the following loadout:

FAMAS w/Suppressor
Strela-3
Semtex/Concussion/Claymore
Ghost Pro/Sleight of Hand Pro/Second Chance Pro

This past weekend, though, I came to the realization that I'm not a Ghost player. I don't hide, slink around, or usually try to get the drop on other players. I'm a confrontational, head long into battle, killing machine. So, I changed things up.

Galil w/Reflex Sight
Crossbow
Semtex/Concussion/Claymore
Hardline Pro/Sleight of Hand Pro/Second Chance Pro

Losing the Suppressor was tricky at first, but I kind of like the attention I get when I gun someone down and get other players to come at me, too. The Hardline Pro perk helps out a ton, too, and got about five matches in a row with some nice Dog killstreaks going.

O D I N

zesty said:

I have a couple different classes setup for different gametypes.

I have a LW/Marathon class, Scavenger/Marathon, and for SnD, I have Ghost/Marathon or Ghost/Ninja. I have a couple variations of my 'normal' class with a motion sensor, tac insert, or Jammer (what I use the most).

I usually use Warlord Pro for my classes, as I get that second Tomahawk.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
zesty said:
Can I ask what you're running on Kowloon? I have tried a number of different things, but it seems like no matter I do, I get killed on this one whenever I play it.

My go-to class is:

Galil w/ suppressor/dual mags
Crossbow
Claymore
Frag
Concussion
Ghost Pro
Warlord Pro
Hacker Pro

Nuketown/Summit/Firing Range:

FAMAS w/ dual mags
China Lake
Claymore
Frag
Concussion
Flak Jacket Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Tactical Mask Pro

Jungle/Radiation/sometimes Havana:

G11 (no attachments)
CZ75
Claymore
Frag
Concussion
Ghost Pro
Hardened Pro
Hacker Pro

MP5
Dual Pythons

Nova gas
Semtex
Claymores

Lightweight
Sleight of Hand pro
Ninja

It's really the only level that I straight up run'n gun.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Brian Fellows said:
MP5
Dual Pythons

Nova gas
Semtex
Claymores

Lightweight
Sleight of Hand pro
Ninja

It's really the only level that I straight up run'n gun.

Interesting. Is it just me, or has the MP5 gotten a lot more popular in the past month or so? I have seen a lot more of it in the past several weeks than I did in the first 2-3 months I had the game.

zesty said:
Interesting. Is it just me, or has the MP5 gotten a lot more popular in the past month or so? I have seen a lot more of it in the past several weeks than I did in the first 2-3 months I had the game.

I have no luck w the MP5 at all unless i fire from the hip but then i haven't used steady aim since i got the pro version, ADS has to much recoil for me

O D I N

zesty said:

I like the Mp5. It comes in right after the Skorpion for me amongst my favorite SMGs.

I usually see it in games where people have prestiged recently, up until they get the 74u. :-/

mr_boo

If it's "try hard" time, my go to gun is the G11 (Naked) for ranged attacks and Silenced FAMAS for more mobile cases. I'm pretty comfortable with all the ARs (semi-autos are my favs), but bouncing around with the older CODs (MW2), I haven't had time to really get into the BO SMGs.

For the most part, I don't play the most optimal layout...I have more fun goofing around and trying out all primaries, even though at times some guns are really difficult to use.

luoapp

I've been through several stages.
At first, I used AK74u suppressed - that's from my cod4 days with a mp5 loadout;
Then I switched to M16 suppressed -- try some mid to long range game;
After that, I used a M60 hardened setup, for its ruthless penetration power;
Now I am using a silenced SPAS12.

I'm really in love with the Rapid Fire/Steady Aim/hipfire all the time combo right now. Works all the time, and the ranges can get insane. Other than that, I'm feeling the Stakeout when the ping works for it and I'm always using a silenced AK47 with dual mags.

Will anyone object if I call the RPK the worst gun in the game? I'm really giving it a chance right now, but it's making it so hard for me to like it.

rezuth

I started messing around with the MAC-10 just for "lulz" some days ago. I'll be damned but this gun is actually great at short-medium range. I'm moving down people to the left and right, only issue that arrises is that when you encounter a group you have to keep moving to avoid being killed.

rezuth said:
I started messing around with the MAC-10 just for "lulz" some days ago. I'll be damned but this gun is actually great at short-medium range. I'm moving down people to the left and right, only issue that arrises is that when you encounter a group you have to keep moving to avoid being killed.
and that it runs out of ammo really quickly

KoreanBarbecue said:
I try and have tried. I just came in looking to get some input on a glitch in the game and just get rage and hate because someone hates a particular Perk I use. Maybe I just come from the school of "if you don't have anything productive to contribute to a discussion, don't."

I hear you. And if anyone wants to know why I appear so combative, look no further than some of the misguided ego's in this thread.

O D I N

rezuth said:

Slap rapid fire on that bad boy, thank me later.

Though you wanna run scavenger too. :-X You'll basically spend all of your ammos in seconds.

O D I N said:
Slap rapid fire on that bad boy, thank me later.

Though you wanna run scavenger too. :-X You'll basically spend all of your ammos in seconds.
This! I have no idea why this isn't more a more popular combo. I seriously feel like I've activated godmode when I put on an RF SMG.

My favorite class for that right now:

MPL + RF
Scavenger
Sleight of Hand (MPL has a tiny clip and long reload, other SMGs can have Steady Aim)
Marathon

And since the class has Scavenger and is kinda spazzy, I throw on tomahawks and ballistic knife for fun. Awesomely fun class for small maps!

Upon playing Black Ops at release (and coming off 25 days of MW2) I immediately noticed a considerable change in how things 'felt.' Hit detection and netcode just seemed overall chunky and laggy. Over time (nearly 10 days playtime) I've come to accept that it's just the way it is and perhaps I was overblowing the whole thing.

Today I decided for shits n giggles to give MW2 a few rounds. Damn. I didn't realise just how shit BO feels until now. Seriously, MW2 is absolute silk in comparison to Treyarch's game. Enemies die when you hit them, there's no bullshit of seeing enemies first but somehow dying, the whole thing flows much better without the awful hitches and lag that pops up too frequently in BO.

The whole thing is unbalanced as shit but the core game is superior to Black Ops for sure.

rezuth

thezerofire said:
and that it runs out of ammo really quickly
I usually get at least to attack dogs before being out of ammo, at that point you can just pick up whatever you feel like and keep going while you rack in free kills. At least that works in Team Deathmatch, you'll need scavenger on demolition etc.

aku:jiki said:
This! I have no idea why this isn't more a more popular combo. I seriously feel like I've activated godmode when I put on an RF SMG.

My favorite class for that right now:

MPL + RF
Scavenger
Sleight of Hand (MPL has a tiny clip and long reload, other SMGs can have Steady Aim)
Marathon

And since the class has Scavenger and is kinda spazzy, I throw on tomahawks and ballistic knife for fun. Awesomely fun class for small maps!
the PM63 is a criminally overlooked SMG as well. it's pretty fun

O D I N

thezerofire said:
the PM63 is a criminally overlooked SMG as well. it's pretty fun

I agree. I have to have extended mags on mine, but I think with RF, it has the highest RoF in the game. Sights are nice and clean too.

I still love my Skorpion. ^_____^ Grip plus Extendoes= good times.

O D I N said:
I agree. I have to have extended mags on mine, but I think with RF, it has the highest RoF in the game. Sights are nice and clean too.

I still love my Skorpion. ^_____^ Grip plus Extendoes= good times.
I've never actually used the Skorpion. It just looks so ridiculously impotent that I've just ignored it so far. I'll give it a shot.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
thezerofire said:
I've never actually used the Skorpion. It just looks so ridiculously impotent that I've just ignored it so far. I'll give it a shot.

I don't know if I have a single kill with it yet or not. There are still about 10 or so weapons I don't have any kills with. For instance the entire sniper rifle class is still full of donuts after 2500 matches.

Brian Fellows said:
I don't know if I have a single kill with it yet or not. There are still about 10 or so weapons I don't have any kills with. For instance the entire sniper rifle class is still full of donuts after 2500 matches.
L96 is a pretty decent one. It's the only one I can consistently get One Shot One Kills with

O D I N

thezerofire said:
Hey, do you think you could render a film off my file share?

I don't have a PVR or anything (though I wish I did). You can upload from your fileshare.

Go here:

http://www.callofduty.com/theater?path=theater

Register, then register your Youtube account, and you're good to go.

Then in your file share (the clip HAS to be at or below :30 seconds), select file for playback, then select render film. It should upload to your youtube pretty quickly.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Well, I commend you. I dig that map, mainly for that one reason - sneaking up behind everyone at the bottleneck and cleaning house.

Thank you sir. Much appreciated. :)

KoreanBarbecue said:
Well, I commend you. I dig that map, mainly for that one reason - sneaking up behind everyone at the bottleneck and cleaning house.

That map is one of the slowest moving in the game, people just don't want to move around it.

just had a groundwar domination match with our team having 3 players with 50+ kills each, no spawn trapping either. I said wow

edit: just checked the combat records of the top players out of curiosity. Our team had 2 dudes with a 2.0 k/d and 2 with a 3.0 k/d( myself included) against a bunch of guys with less than a 1.0 k/d. thats kinda funny.....thats kinda sad

Top Bottom