• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Gritesh

Bought the Direct 2 Drive download, you cannot pass up 45 dollars for this game in my opinion.

Looking for fellow GAF'ers to add to my steam friends list. PM me if your getting it for PC so we can play some games together!

Also, first time buying from Direct 2 Drive, this game will be added to my steam games list correct?

Another question, if I ever re-format my computer, do I have to log into D2D to re-download? Or can I re-download through Steam?

MW2 for PC only sucked because of no server lists, which meant you got stuck in random hacked lobbies, or with cheaters.

I don't know how many times I prestige'd because I like to unlock stuff, only to get into a random lobby that as soon as I spawn it put me at max lvl/exp.

Dedicated Servers in black ops, 45 dollars on launch day, this is a win for the PC for me for sure!

Sealda said:
There is also the chrome camo in the end of the video!
From when the video was first posted, the creator stated that the chrome camo was just a weird glitch where the shiny part loaded but not the gold. Remember seeing pictures from a real-life drug bust in Columbia I think and it had all these gold guns. Always thought...hey I had one those in COD4!

iNvidious01 said:
french dude prestiged lol, goes kinda crazy. french always get it stupidly quick, few of my buddies got it. cunts :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHQ7KJWImH8&feature=player_embedded

oh and prestige emblems
1247iuv.jpg

Are these definetly them?

Don't get the odd stars on the 14th, rest look like arse... even worse than MW2's

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Jay-B said:
Is there an option to automatically mute everyone like in Halo Reach? It's not like anyone ever says anything useful anyway.

this is why you play with friends and help eachother out.

they have letters and numbers on the map now so you can say WATCH OUT ENEMY @ D-2 for example

DMeisterJ said:
Yay! Only 2 days! /sigh

351fp84.gif

:lol

Tiduz said:
this is why you play with friends and help eachother out.

they have letters and numbers on the map now so you can say WATCH OUT ENEMY @ D-2 for example

I have high hopes that this will lower the annoying banter and increase strategy talk, even in rooms of strangers, but I'm not holding my breath. In Shadowrun even people without mics were able to get in on calling out important information via the dpad and it made a big difference.

kyo_daikun said:
Are these definetly them?

Don't get the odd stars on the 14th, rest look like arse... even worse than MW2's
Looks like the same emblem the Marines had in WaW before a round in mp starts.

Btw I really hope they reset the stats on 9th...

X26

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
I think that's being extremely unkind to Shipment from what I've seen.

I can't remember much about it, but I know it didnt show up in every playlist and was pretty rare when it did. Big difference seems to be that nuketown is in every playlist

I guess its useless to ask.. but you can't override the 32 player limit on PC can you? I played on CDO4 servers with 45-50 people! Much more war like. I dont care for these little shitty battles:mad:

BF2 ruined modern console shooting for me. Nothing is good enough if it aint 64 players!!!

X26

Banned
BigBlue1974 said:
Some people hate on it, but I do recall always hearing people so happy when it come up in the rotation. It was great for when you just wanted to go nuts and have some anarchy. :lol

I didn't mind since it was so rare, HQ on shipment was good fun in moderation

Spookie

Vigilant Walrus said:
I guess its useless to ask.. but you can't override the 32 player limit on PC can you? I played on CDO4 servers with 45-50 people! Much more war like. I dont care for these little shitty battles:mad:

Without the server files? I don't think so. Who wants to play 64 TDM on a map made for 16 people anyway? What fun is there in spawning and dying immediately?

No map compares to shipment imo. You need to be ready to start dodging grenades as soon as you spawn on that map. At least nuketown has houses to go in.

Sethos

Banned
Re-uploading all my map walkthroughs on YT, now in HD - If people are still interested in seeing the maps before release.

First half:

1 Array - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9NSt1aVsW4

2 Cracked - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz0NJycJoPM

3 Crisis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBi4BS7ml7E

4 Firing Range - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaae-JW_XQ

5 Grid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksH3Ruxr6c

6 Hanoi - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZesfeS-2Imo

7 Havana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdSKTNeQthE

Loxley

Vigilant Walrus said:

BF2 ruined modern console shooting for me. Nothing is good enough if it aint 64 players!!!

BF2 was great with so many people because those maps were designed with 64 players in mind, Call of Duty's never have been unless you want to count the CoD1+UO maps.

CoD4 was ruined on the PC by the absurd amount of people on each map. Vacant was a pain in the ass on the consoles with 12 people, much less 30+. Most of the problems on the console versions of CoD4 were amplified by 10 on the PC side because of how over-crowded each map became. 3x Frags, non-stop air strikes & choppers, all way worse on the PC.

Granted World at War wasn't as bad, since Treyarch actually made some sizable maps, but man I'm glad they're putting a cap on the amount of people per match. I love dedicated servers and large scale battles as much as the next PC snob, but some people just need to know how many people in one match is too many, at least more than can be adequately accommodated for per map.

I can't decide if I want to get this or not... meh. I really want to get it on 360 despite having a beefy rig to play the PC version, as all my friends are on xbox live. Guess I better make the decision sometime today so I get the amazon deal.

Played first 7 levels and I really like it. The last level I played
Kowloon
looks fucking phenomenal. They definetely decided to focus on set-pieces, throw in some bad-ass music and set it to 11. There are a ton of awesome little moments in this and it's all really well paced. I feel like the guns aim and control a little slower than MW2; the variety of weapons is pretty great though and some have hilarious names. The story is silly as always but engaging enough. Dumb question but is Sam Worthington the main voice? Only cons so far are that the monster closets still exist (there is literally one part where you are going down a hill and endless enemies come up it until you do something..) and that the checkpoints can be pretty bad/infrequent. I'm playing on Hardened and it feels pretty tough (beat MW2 on Veteran for reference). Also, 7 levels on Hardened took me 3 hours so it's about a 5 hour SP campaign but we already knew that.
I played 3 matches of MP and it seems like the usual great CoD MP. Don't care for the new level up system so far though.

Flek said:
so? Who cares? SP is only a add on to mp anyway. Nobody buys cod for the sp
:lol
Good one.
Anyway, someone is uploading direct feed footage of the entire SP campaign on youtube and it looks great. Anyone who liked what WaW was doing in the campaign is going to love some of the Black Ops missions.

Ugh... I hate just staring at the box until Steam unlocks it. I have the disc in my drive too, taunting me as it speeds up whenever I click My Computer..

Ferny

Looking at the videos so far, game has a WaW vibe to it easily. Asked a couple buddies who have played it and they say it feels like MW2 to them but the videos scream WaW to me which isn't a bad thing. Just has a different look to it. I'm hyped though.

Kyoufu

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ugh... I hate just staring at the box until Steam unlocks it. I have the disc in my drive too, taunting me as it speeds up whenever I click My Computer..

Why can't the disc version be played right now?

Day 7 of 8 Days of Black Ops is up. Focusing on the WMD map, Mortar Strike and Chopper Gunner killstreaks. The new chopper gunner is pretty cool and I can see mortar strikes being really popular as they target 3 areas of your choosing at once. enjoy.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ferny73 said:
Looking at the videos so far, game has a WaW vibe to it easily. Asked a couple buddies who have played it and they say it feels like MW2 to them but the videos scream WaW to me which isn't a bad thing. Just has a different look to it. I'm hyped though.

Yeah I'd say it definitely has WaW vibe to it. It just plays quite a bit slower than MW2.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
BigBlackGamer said:
Day 7 of 8 Days of Black Ops is up. Focusing on the WMD map, Mortar Strike and Chopper Gunner killstreaks. The new chopper gunner is pretty cool and I can see mortar strikes being really popular as they target 3 areas of your choosing at once. enjoy.

Nice videos. :D

DRE Fei

Wow, this game isn't even out yet and people have already found a care package glitch. :( A few people are going crazy about this on twitter.

From what I understand, it's not infinite care packages but you can get up to 3 more after you legitimately earn the first one. Hopefully they can patch this.

DMeisterJ

Banned
X26 said:
love how much better the sound effects are in BO, approaching bad company in terms of quality
Yeah, that Famas sounds (and looks) amazing... I hardly touched it in MW2, but I think I'll quite enjoy it in this game.

Pennybags

DevelopmentArrested said:
Dumb question but is Sam Worthington the main voice?

Yup, just checked a video of the end credits.

Having spoiled the entire campaign for myself, I must say that I like the use of licensed music in this game very much, except for the
Eminem
song at the end of the credits sequence. What is that doing there? :lol

X26 said:
love how much better the sound effects are in BO, approaching bad company in terms of quality

Maybe the PLAYER'S gun got better, but the overall sound is still nowhere near Bad Company 2, but then again, not many games are. The voices, explosions, and distant gunfire in BC2 is AMAZING.

W1SSY

Just saw a new commercial for Black Ops or atleast it was the first time I saw it. It had Kobe Bryant, Jimmy Kimmel, and a bunch of other people all acting like they were real soldiers on a battlefield and it ended with something like We all have soldiers inside.

Edit: Actually it looks old but it was the first time that I saw it.

Pennybags said:
Yup, just checked a video of the end credits.

Having spoiled the entire campaign for myself, I must say that I like the use of licensed music in this game very much, except for the
Eminem
song at the end of the credits sequence. What is that doing there? :lol
is it any worse than linkin park? song end credits in shooters these days is fucking atricious. skiiiiiiiip

MW2's avatars and banner stuff was way overboard but is there any reason why there is little to no image tags in black ops? or is all that stuff unlocked later on?

Top Bottom