• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

W1SSY said:
Just saw a new commercial for Black Ops or atleast it was the first time I saw it. It had Kobe Bryant, Jimmy Kimmel, and a bunch of other people all acting like they were real soldiers on a battlefield and it ended with something like We all have soldiers inside.

Edit: Actually it looks old but it was the first time that I saw it.
That one is pretty good, which brings up a question, why the hell does game spot make all those shitty commercials and why does every game company allow them to do it? they are so shit.

BigBlackGamer said:
Day 7 of 8 Days of Black Ops is up. Focusing on the WMD map, Mortar Strike and Chopper Gunner killstreaks. The new chopper gunner is pretty cool and I can see mortar strikes being really popular as they target 3 areas of your choosing at once. enjoy.

Wow, this game looks like a fucking joke. Everyone gives MW2 and IW shit for their killstreaks, but at least the AC-130 and Chopper Gunner had some drawbacks. For one, you didn't have a crystal clear view of the map. And in MW2, an enemy wouldn't immediately be highlighted by a red box when spawning, giving them vital time to take you down with a Stinger. In Black Ops, the enemy is immediately a target when they spawn. Such as in 4:12 in your video. And so much as a glance seems to be enough to kill them with that killstreak.

Also, I dunno if it's because of Theater Mode or something, but the hit boxes in Black Ops are ridiculous. Look at the kills at :47, 3:05, and 3:14 in this video. My decision to skip this game seems to be paying off. Say what you will about MW2, but the highs in that game are glorious, and many of my complaints haven't been addressed in COD:BO. Grenade launchers are still in the game? And the only way to truly counteract them is to choose a highly situational perk in lieu of the many superior tier 1 perks? No thanks. :lol

By the way, do any Treyarch developers post in this thread? We had a few IW team members who posted in the MW2 thread. For all the bleating of "Treyarch listens to their community," they seem to be surprisingly absent from GAF.

X26

Banned
watching that stream, gotta say 3 kills is way too little for the rc car, too many seem to get called in every match

Diablohead said:
Nice big clip but with so much reloading going on that user doesn't really need extended mags at all.
Not to mention the sleight of hand. Nice to see almost nothing in the way of explosives being used. People actually using guns/knives to kill seems like a big improvement already.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think I'm just gonna stop playing until Tuesday when more people are on and hope my connection improves because right now I don't stand a chance. I get 3 or 4 bars but it doesn't matter people still seem to be a few seconds ahead of me pretty much at all times.

Jack Scofield said:
Say what you will about MW2, but the highs in that game are glorious

Your MW2 highs may be "glorious" but the lows are atrociously, bottomless pit style bad so there goes that. Yes that gunner killstreak in Black Ops looks horribly unbalanced, but the rest of the game seems to be in check which I could NEVER say for MW2.

DevelopmentArrested said:
from what i've played multi definetely feels more unbalanced than mw2 was because of the killstreaks. also hacks already fucking sucks.

Aside from the RC Car, you have to expand on this because I don't understand how you could feel this way. What could Black Ops possibly do that makes it more unbalanced than MW2? A dev would purposely have to be TRYING to unbalance their game to accomplish that.

X26

Banned
from what i've played multi definetely feels more unbalanced than mw2 was because of the killstreaks. also hacks already fucking sucks.

I don't know how that's could be possible :p

please give some details though, I am kinda concerned now that the difference between this and mw2 as far as killstreaks go may not be as apparent as I hoped

Pennybags

is it any worse than linkin park? song end credits in shooters these days is fucking atricious. skiiiiiiiip

It obviously depends on your tastes, but.... almost. :lol

The other song at the beginning of the credits is a good choice that fits in with the theme of the game.

What sort of hacks are you seeing? MW2 taught me that there are some real hardcore players out there who know everything inside out, not surprising if you bump into a couple of them this weekend.

Ramirez

I watched a video on YT where the announcer calls out a enemy RC car, the car zooms right past the guy as soon as it's announced, and instead of going around the box and kill the guy, he foolishly chases the car trying to shoot it, car turns around and blows him up. :lol

Diablohead said:
What sort of hacks are you seeing? MW2 taught me that there are some real hardcore players out there who know everything inside out, not surprising if you bump into a couple of them this weekend.
care package glitch is back and even easier to pull off now. that has nothing to do with knowing the maps inside and out.

X26

Banned
zero margin said:
2 kills if you go with hardline perk. :lol

Ugh, I can really see this killing S&D. Every round after the first will see platoons of rc-xd's racing to spawns

cameltoe

Brian Fellows said:
I think I'm just gonna stop playing until Tuesday when more people are on and hope my connection improves because right now I don't stand a chance. I get 3 or 4 bars but it doesn't matter people still seem to be a few seconds ahead of me pretty much at all times.

YES....thats why Im not playing it. Jumped into SP

Ramirez said:
I watched a video on YT where the announcer calls out a enemy RC car, the car zooms right past the guy as soon as it's announced, and instead of going around the box and kill the guy, he foolishly chases the car trying to shoot it, car turns around and blows him up. :lol

...with an M-16 no less. You've got to have good aim to take the RC out with a burst fire gun, he didn't.

As for the RC reservations, it's early days and people are new to the maps. Player will learn to hide from the RC and let it pass them by or at the very least make sure they space out from nearby teammates and deny it any multi-kills.

care package glitch is back and even easier to pull off now. that has nothing to do with knowing the maps inside and out.
ouch, hopefully that can be fixed quickly before it becomes too common.

Just played some COD4 & I actually used a shotgun. Holy shit when you get good with them, they're probably the most satisfying guns in the game. The shotgun I used was the m104(?) with bandoiler, sleight of hand and extreme conditioning, is the m104(?) in BO?

Oh FFS not this again...

Hope they just straight up ban people who do this crap, its so irritating for people who play the game properly.

X26

Banned
mysticwhip said:
Just played some COD4 & I actually used a shotgun. Holy shit when you get good with them, they're probably the most satisfying guns in the game. The shotgun I used was the m104(?) with bandoiler, sleight of hand and extreme conditioning, is the m104(?) in BO?

no but the starting shotgun seems similar

Jack Scofield said:
Wow, this game looks like a fucking joke. Everyone gives MW2 and IW shit for their killstreaks, but at least the AC-130 and Chopper Gunner had some drawbacks. For one, you didn't have a crystal clear view of the map. And in MW2, an enemy wouldn't immediately be highlighted by a red box when spawning, giving them vital time to take you down with a Stinger. In Black Ops, the enemy is immediately a target when they spawn. Such as in 4:12 in your video. And so much as a glance seems to be enough to kill them with that killstreak.

Also, I dunno if it's because of Theater Mode or something, but the hit boxes in Black Ops are ridiculous. Look at the kills at :47, 3:05, and 3:14 in this video. My decision to skip this game seems to be paying off. Say what you will about MW2, but the highs in that game are glorious, and many of my complaints haven't been addressed in COD:BO. Grenade launchers are still in the game? And the only way to truly counteract them is to choose a highly situational perk in lieu of the many superior tier 1 perks? No thanks. :lol

By the way, do any Treyarch developers post in this thread? We had a few IW team members who posted in the MW2 thread. For all the bleating of "Treyarch listens to their community," they seem to be surprisingly absent from GAF.

Can't say much about the hitboxes from one presumably laggy lobby. You can only really judge that when you see gameplay from the match host.

Hate the killstreaks? Just play Pure playlists or even Barebones. Sorted.

I guess if people are going to spam the RC, then we'll see more use of the jammer.

I too see a lot of hitbox crazyness in vids, but it can't truly be that bad...I have to believe lag is playing a part.

coolcole93 said:
Hate the killstreaks? Just play Pure playlists or even Barebones. Sorted.
useless retort.

mysticwhip said:
i never used shotguns in previous CoD's but theres one specific shotgun in BO that is AWESOME to use

The Chef

Was going to do midnight release but part of me after reading through the last couple pages makes me want to wait for reviews :/

Blader

Pennybags said:
Yup, just checked a video of the end credits.

Having spoiled the entire campaign for myself, I must say that I like the use of licensed music in this game very much, except for the
Eminem
song at the end of the credits sequence. What is that doing there? :lol

Wasn't it
in one of the trailers too?

coolcole93 said:
Why? If you aren't a fan of killstreaks, play a gamemode which is specifically created to be a haven from killstreaks.

Mixed some stuff up, but barebones is composed of pure(TDM only), classic(TDM only, but still 3, 5, and 7 killstreaks), and then a pure version of mixed bag. Not a very good solution...

thechemist

Here's the UK deals guys some confirmed, some not, credit to CAG.

Trade-in Deals
- GAME are doing Black Ops for half price when you trade in Halo Reach. (Unconfirmed)
- HMV are doing Black Ops on 360 for £7.99 when you trade in Medal of Honor (360).
- Tesco will be offering £24 for trading in Halo Reach.

Supermarket and In-Store Prices
Sainsbury's: £27.97 with £30 spend (a lot of sources - CONFIRMED, credit goes to annihilation from hotukdeals)
Morrisons: £29.99 when bought with another chart game, £39.99 otherwise (1 source who has claimed to see the promotional material, but unconfirmed until there's proof)
GAME: £24.99 when bought with any other chart 360/PS3 game or selected trade (confirmed, source)
Gamestation: £24.99 when bought with selected titles.
Best Buy: Doing £29.99 pre-orders here. Might be a good option considering the strong possibility that supermarket deals are dependant on buying with shopping. First 500 orders only, now back up to full price.
Tesco: £25 with the purchase of 2100 points or a £20 PSN card. (2 sources, unconfirmed)
ASDA: £36.97 when bought alone, or £4.97 when you trade in Fable 3, Fallout New Vegas, or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2. Confirmed, image source user "c4c" on hotukdeals.

Maffis

Dark FaZe said:
That AK74u vid had better be a laggy room because I saw two kills where the sights weren't even close to being near the player...

I think it is theater mode in general. I've watched alot of theater-mode recorded videos and they all look laggy, but not the ones that is filmed in other ways.

Jack Scofield said:

The killstreaks in this game are balanced. The chopper-gunner requires 9 kills (8 with perk) on your own. That is hella-of-alot harder than in MW2. Also, Ghost is now a perk that can be taken without losing stopping power which in itself is a major nerf to killstreaks. Also, from what I've heard the killstreaks are rather easy to shoot down with launchers.

But seeing as they are tougher to get they should be better. Only thing I hate is care-package.

Ramirez

Spinning Plates said:
...with an M-16 no less. You've got to have good aim to take the RC out with a burst fire gun, he didn't.

As for the RC reservations, it's early days and people are new to the maps. Player will learn to hide from the RC and let it pass them by or at the very least make sure they space out from nearby teammates and deny it any multi-kills.

Yes, that was the video, hilarious.

Maffis said:
I think it is threater mode in general. I've watched alot of theater-mode recorded videos and they all look laggy, but not the ones that is filmed in other ways.
Not sure why people would think the hit boxes are that bad, because if they were we'd know times a million considering it's easy as hell to test and no one has complained. It's probably lag or theater mode like said above.

Pennybags

RC car will be hilarious for S&D final killcams. I'll save them up just for moments like those.

Blader5489 said:
Wasn't it
in one of the trailers too?

Yes, but the other trailer had
Gimme Shelter
, so all is forgiven. Not sure if that's actually in the game though.

VaLiancY

I'm going to use a stealth class and troll the shit out of the enemy team. Carrying Stinger missiles and shooting everything out the air. :lol

Loxley

Jack Scofield said:

Probably because they have their own forums to tend to? Sure a lot of devs post on GAF (Bowling did a couple times leading up to MW2's launch), but just because they don't doesn't mean they're not reading it. Besides, Twitter has become the new "ask the community manager" headquarters lately.

I'm actually amazed we managed to make it this far into the thread before someone this pessimistic about BO posted. I could care less if BO isn't your cup of tea compared to MW2, to each his own, but it almost sounds like you're looking for reasons to hate Black Ops and pimp MW2 in a thread where MW2 has gotten nothing but shit thrown at it.

Top Bottom