• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Gritesh said:
Bought the Direct 2 Drive download, you cannot pass up 45 dollars for this game in my opinion.

Looking for fellow GAF'ers to add to my steam friends list. PM me if your getting it for PC so we can play some games together!

Also, first time buying from Direct 2 Drive, this game will be added to my steam games list correct?

Another question, if I ever re-format my computer, do I have to log into D2D to re-download? Or can I re-download through Steam?

MW2 for PC only sucked because of no server lists, which meant you got stuck in random hacked lobbies, or with cheaters.

I don't know how many times I prestige'd because I like to unlock stuff, only to get into a random lobby that as soon as I spawn it put me at max lvl/exp.

Dedicated Servers in black ops, 45 dollars on launch day, this is a win for the PC for me for sure!

All copies are Steam copies. There's no difference no matter where you buy it from.

Diablohead said:
Not to that scale, the aim being behind is due to the demo playback, it's like what a host would most likely see his end since in game play he was more then likely aiming right at him, why does play back do that? no idea but at least we can save and share footage now.

There also could have been some teamfire going on and he just happened to have a stray bullet be the final kill. You'd have to actually pull up the theater to see what really happened.

claviertekky said:
After watching that, I'm definitely not buying this game.

Treyarch garbage. This is worse than noob tubing.

Seriously? A lot of those kills he could have just gotten with the regular knife because they were sitting still.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Seriously? A lot of those kills he could have just gotten with the regular knife because they were sitting still.

I'm torn. BK does seem like "step into my crosshairs = instakill" overload.

clav

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'll buy it when it hits the bargain bin. I just don't see what's so attractive about the single player and multiplayer offerings.

That video certainly didn't help either.

dwin45

claviertekky said:
After watching that, I'm definitely not buying this game.

Treyarch garbage. This is worse than noob tubing.
Actually, the ballistic knife looks really similar to throwing knives from MW2 which weren't really unbalanced or abused.

jonnybryce said:
I'm torn. BK does seem like "step into my crosshairs = instakill" overload.

Let me know how that goes for you when the person your aiming at is not standing still with their back turned.

dwin45 said:
Actually, the ballistic knife looks really similar to throwing knives from MW2 which weren't really unbalanced or abused.

Good example.

clav

dwin45 said:
This ballistic knife looks so much easier to use now. It shoots like a dart instead of a trajectory.

claviertekky said:
I'll buy it when it hits the bargain bin. I just don't see what's so attractive about the single player and multiplayer offerings.

That video certainly didn't help either.

lol are you serious? Almost all of those kills could been even easier had he just used a melee attack. I'm all for trashing unbalanced tactics, but c'mon.

It's kind of comforting that closer to release we're finally getting the kind of hyperbolic I'LL NEVER BUY THIS GAME BECAUSE OF FEATURE X nonsense that I'm accustomed to with any game that has multiplayer.

Loxley

Net_Wrecker said:
lol are you serious? Almost all of those kills could been even easier had he just used a melee attack. I'm all for trashing unbalanced tactics, but c'mon.

Not to mention pretty much all of the kills he managed to get he could have just as easily gotten with one of the AR's or SMG's with no risk whatsoever. Almost every time he managed to get someone with the ballistic knife they had their back turned to him, and were either standing still or ADS'ing.

It seems pretty balanced to me.

Alienshogun said:
It's lag being shown the same way it would in a kill cam. You don't know much about consoles, or auto aim, do you?

Especially since all shooters do this. I remember videos of a guy messing with laggy hitboxes in CS: Source before it's public release that looked alot like this.

zero margin said:
Let me know how that goes for you when the person your aiming at is not standing still with their back turned.

Good example.
There were plenty of examples in that video, like a guy running at him through a door. I'm still all in for BO but I'm going to have to try BK to decide, seems crazy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
jonnybryce said:
There were plenty of examples in that video, like a guy running at him through a door. I'm still all in for BO but I'm going to have to try BK to decide, seems crazy.

That's called a lucky shot, he jerked and made the hit.

You do realize it's a montage right? You know that he picked and chose the shots he wanted for the video right? He didn't show all his deaths/misses.

jonnybryce said:

To each their own, my opinion of the BK is that it's more of a gimmick than anything. Make for sweet kill cams but a little impractical compared to a gun. Besides, you only get two shots out of it.

jonnybryce said:

Have you not seen the Throwing Knife highlight reels on Youtube? Yeah, that wasn't much of a problem either. Something like the Gunner killstreak on Nuketown is a MUCH bigger problem here than the Ballistic Knife which is just a Throwing Knife minus the arc trajectory.

Maffis

Erasus said:
If I live in Sweden, can I still get the D2D deal? =o

Yes, but it will add on 15 dollars worth of taxes, which makes it not worth it for Swedes. Better of buying it from spelbutiken.se or elgiganten.

Net_Wrecker said:
Have you not seen the Throwing Knife highlight reels on Youtube? Yeah, that wasn't much of a problem either. Something like the Gunner killstreak on Nuketown is a MUCH bigger problem here than the Ballistic Knife which is just a Throwing Knife minus the arc trajectory.

Looking at the videos, it does drop after you fire it.

I fail to see how a ballistic knife is more advantageous to have for close quarters than a shotgun. Getting kills by shooting stationary targets in the back or targets running right at you at point blank range hardly seems overpowered. All those kills could have been achieved with a shotty no problem, which has more ammo and whose ammo can be restored using scavenger.

The BK is not overpowered from what I've seen so far.

EDIT:
in two weeks, I reserve the right to proclaim the BK as overpowered.

X26

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Especially since all shooters do this. I remember videos of a guy messing with laggy hitboxes in CS: Source before it's public release that looked alot like this.

If I had it on my pc I'd post the MW2 petition cross referenced with purchases pic

MarshMellow96 said:
Looking at the videos, it does drop after you fire it.

Well then that means it's almost exactly the same as the Throwing Knife, plus it takes up a secondary spot.

BUT...

shichishito said:
EDIT:

...I'm signing this contract too. :lol

Maffis

shichishito said:
I fail to see how a ballistic knife is more advantageous to have for close quarters than a shotgun. Getting kills by shooting stationary targets in the back or targets running right at you at point blank range hardly seems overpowered. All those kills could have been achieved with a shotty no problem, which has more ammo and whose ammo can be restored using scavenger.

The BK is not overpowered from what I've seen so far.

EDIT:

Shotgun is a primary weapon. You give up your ability to do well at medium/long ranges for good CQ. Ballistic Knife is a secondary that takes the places of the pistol. But you're right in the fact that the knife doesn't look that overpowered.

zero margin said:
I'm so glad stopping power is gone.

Actually I'm not a fan of this. I hated playing regular death match and burying almost a full clip into someone (most times a knifer) only to have them spin on a dime and knife me. It just makes the game too arcade-like. I know hardcore is an option (but I hate campers). I just wish they brought bullet damage of hardcore to team deathmatch.

zero margin said:
well done sethos. These maps look really good. Jungle I hadn't seen yet and damn that is impressive.

Jungle is a probably one of the best looking cod maps I've seen. WMD is how you make a huge map. Big interior buildings that have multiple entry points and great fights in the pathways that seperate them, basically everything that Derail wanted to be but wasn't.

TA have definately outdone IW on map design this time round.

maximum360 said:
Actually I'm not a fan of this. I hated playing regular death match and burying almost a full clip into someone (most times a knifer) only to have them spin on a dime and knife me. It just makes the game too arcade-like. I know hardcore is an option (but I hate campers). I just wish they brought bullet damage of hardcore to team deathmatch.

Sure that's not lag? Things like that happened to me and I just attribute it to lag. Helps me to not throw the controller. :D Anyway, I'm glad because I always felt gimped without it and basically wasted any other tier 2 perk for me.

Mystery

Are people still crying over the Ballistic Knife? I made that video from one match which I went negative in. It's incredibly difficult to score a kill with it, and I can guarantee you that hardly anyone will be using it in place of a secondary gun or launcher. I've been playing various team playlistst for the last two days and I've not yet seen a single other person use the Ballistic Knife. I would suggest waiting for the game to come out and actually try using the weapons before calling them overpowered.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This has probably been mentioned, but is Headquarters still like it was in MW2? That was my favorite mode in COD4 and then it got ruined. :-\

VASPER

Banned
maximum360 said:

Wut more bullet damage vs less bullet damage, that splits the perks up too much and makes the red slot only stopping power, at least for me.

Nemic77

Any word on the quality of the SP soundtrack? I really enjoyed Zimmer's score for MW2. Hope Black Ops has an equally amazing soundtrack...

Sora

brain_stew said:
All copies are Steam copies. There's no difference no matter where you buy it from.

I see, does that mean the game will automatically be included in the steam game list (meaning that I will be able to download it from steam client), or that the game is compatible with steam, but I can only download from D2D?

Sorry is that question sounds dumb, but I am not familiar in any way with steam, I just have a few games there.

Top Bottom