• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

LeMaximilian said:
I think that's kindve the point in domination. When you lock down an enemy to one zone, and force them to stay there...they deserve to respawn in near the same location. I dunno, just my opinion that I'd expect enemies to spawn near the location they're holding down.

Well yeah, so again, back to square one of your comment. You TRULY feel that the BO spawn system is SO BAD that it makes you want to play MW2? The same MW2 that had this problem as well? Are all the balances Treyarch put into BO that everyone was gushing about a month ago made worthless by this seemingly "just as bad if not worse" spawn system?

EDIT: If you can say "Yes" wholeheartedly, I'm done.

Max

I am not Max
ITT hysterics acting hysterical as if a problem as feeble as spawn points are impossible to correct, although support for the game post-release is assured.

And i'm out, see ya

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Apologies if anything sounded rather extreme. Just after an entire of weekend playing and it happening non stop, I'm a little fed up.

Going from excitement, to tolerance, to questioning, to being concerned, to rage and finally understanding has been an emotional rollercoaster for this game :lol

Listen, Treyarch already went through this song and dance before with World at War. People bitched about the spawns. They patched it and significantly improved it.

With Activision's stunning restrictions of public betas now, Treyarch is being forced to wait until November 9 to see how their system works in the full, uncontrolled wild. They likely already have backup plans ready for the same shortcomings that World at War had if things end up not working as intended.

If the spawning system is the only problem this game has out of the box, then Black Ops beats the fuck out of Modern Warfare 2.

T'Zariah

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Listen, Treyarch already went through this song and dance before with World at War. People bitched about the spawns. They patched it and significantly improved it.

With Activision's stunning restrictions of public betas now, Treyarch is being forced to wait until November 9 to see how their system works in the full, uncontrolled wild. They likely already have backup plans ready for the same shortcomings that World at War had if things end up not working as intended.

If the spawning system is the only problem this game has out of the box, then Black Ops beats the fuck out of Modern Warfare 2.
Pretty much this. :lol

Is Steam dead? My Black Ops is downloading at the amazing rate of 0kbps. With about 15 hours to go, I don't think I'll be playing this at launch. :(

Mik2121

Eh, dunno.. the spawn points might be fucked up, but it's not like that can't be fixed.

If what they (Treyarch) said in this post is true, hopefully we will have those spawn points fixed soon. And from what I've read, the biggest problem in this game seems to be the spawns, where as in MW2 there were TONS of balance issues with many weapons, and they only fixed a few (shotguns, for example).

I'm actually happy to see that pretty much everybody who got the game seems to just be bitchin' about the spawns. Can't wait for this game. Hopefully by the time I get it (one week after you guys get it), the spawns have already been fixed :p

Nabs

lastplayed said:
Is Steam dead? My Black Ops is downloading at the amazing rate of 0kbps. With about 15 hours to go, I don't think I'll be playing this at launch. :(
downloading lead and gold at 3.5mb/s. check your connection or change servers in the settings.

you still have plenty of time to dl it

Mush said:
New Zealand.

Yeah.

ah, nvm.

Mush

lastplayed said:
New Zealand.

Yeah.

Quick review:

+ The game looks fucking gorgeous, especially in the dark. (yes, i've played Killzone 2, move along). The game sounds more like BFBC2 than MW2, a lot more oomph and shit going on. Surprisingly, the music is great and fits into the atmosphere they build. I even liked the voice-acting (Sam Worthington overplayed it a bit though).

+ Some really great set-pieces, more so than MW2 even. There are so many moments that I want to replay again, especially some of the vehicular sequences. They basically tried to just up the ante and go crazy with those badass moments and they pull it off. I have no idea how the next CoD will keep it fresh after all the shit you do in this.

+ Game is a lot longer than I was expecting. Just when I thought it was coming to a close, there was an extra 3 hours in there. Overall, the singleplayer on Hardened took me 8 hours.

- This game is going to be a bitch on veteran. Here's why: There are the occasional monster closet moments where enemies will respawn endlessly until you do something. The checkpoints in single-player are bad, like Uncharted 1 bad. Why they put a checkpoint before a character decides to talk for 5 minutes I have no idea. There are sections of this game where you are not doing anything for 5-10 minutes, that will be annoying to repeat. Finally, there are a ton of 'enemies jump out of nowhere and pre-shoot you around the corner' moments. Tl;dr "this was all in MW2" excuse, whatever. This game will be a pain on Veteran because of these aforementioned things.

- You will see the twist in the narrative coming a mile away. It doesn't really do anything new with story but it is engaging enough and certainly not as fucking ridiculous as MW2's.

- Nuketown. This map is an abortion; why the fuck is it in the final retail product? It exemplifies everything that is broken with the spawn system. (seriously it is horrendous and miles worse than MW2's). Even more egregious might be the fact that you can vote for the same map over and over again, therefore the other players/dickheads decided it would be fun to play Nuketown four times in a row.... UGH. Unrelated aside: Having to buy attachments for each seperate gun is a pain in the ass.

I'd give the game a 9/10. The singleplayer was really awesome (miles better than any CoD's since MW1) and the multiplayer is the same great shit it's been for a while now. Assuming there is a big patch on the way to fix the hacking and terrible spawn system, there is no reason not to pick this up.

johnFkennedy said:
Care package glitch in action

What's with the sound in this game? Why is it that when the care package marker hits the ground in what is clearly an outdoors area, the marker makes a clinking sound as if it was thrown against metal? /pet peeve

Why does he have no teammates? Something doesn't smell right...

EDIT: Nevermind. I now see it's FFA.

Yerolo

DevelopmentArrested said:
The singleplayer was really awesome (miles better than any CoD's since MW1)

This makes me happy. I have brought it primarily for the SP, thanks for the mini review

Snowballo

I see that in my city some shops are selling the game.
Two questions:

1. Will I be able to play it online just today?
2. Will stats be reset tomorrow (the official date)?

Thanks.

Snowballo said:
I see that in my city some shops are selling the game.
Two questions:

1. Will I be able to play it online just today?
2. Will stats be reset tomorrow (the official date)?

Thanks.

1. Yes. Both PSN and XBL servers are up.
2. Yes. They are resetting all the stats shortly before midnight EST.

AnEternalEnigma said:

Yep, i feel much more confident in tryarch patching this game than i did with mw2 given all the shit that went down after that game shipped.

Snowballo

AnEternalEnigma said:

Thanks mate.
Seeing some video, in multiplayer, I've not seen new modes but just the usual (DM, TDM, CTF, Domination,...). Where are the others (One in the Chamber,...)

UFRA

I'd give the game a 9/10. The singleplayer was really awesome (miles better than any CoD's since MW1) and the multiplayer is the same great shit it's been for a while now. Assuming there is a big patch on the way to fix the hacking and terrible spawn system, there is no reason not to pick this up.

Wait, I haven't been following this thread much yet but what kind of hacking is going on?

And is it on all versions?

itsgreen

AnEternalEnigma said:

Don't count on a reset.

But we get the game 6 hours before your midnight and I dont think they''ll reset when a ton of gamers are mid game.

Looking at the problems the multiplayer is having before launch, atleast next time may be they will do a fucking Beta for about a week or two to get more information?

Even a closed one would probably help.

Seriously dude, don't talk about specific things about the story a day before its released or at least put it in spoiler tags. Especially saying
You'll see the twist coming way early on!
. I HATE knowing about stuff like that in advance.

Xux said:
There is. I like it quite a bit myself. :3

Also, for the PC people, it's starting:

http://twitpic.com/34zzc9
<3 it !!

for everyone that can not see the pic I uploaded it again.

2m4rrr8.png

Dina

I remember CoD 1 having shitty TDM spawns. 7 CoD games in, it's still there, albeit worse. I am still pumped, but it seems like they can't fix this no matter how hard they try.

I honestly believe the maps themselves are partly at fault. You kill so fast, run so fast, can get anywhere in no time because dropping out of windows is quick and hopping back in is too. As someone said, there are no tunnels anymore, only windows, doors, streets and passageways. With so much mobility, everyone can get everywhere.

That cracked video from the french dude with the famas earlier? Even with the same issues, it wouldn't be the same in CoD 1. The reload on that game is a lot slower, there is no spring, jumping slows you down, as does taking damage or falling from great heights.

The solution is making maps bigger, or creating less passageways.

Raide

Hank The Tank said:
Where is the goddamn postman?

He is one of the 2 players in the 6000+ servers. I bet the other player is in a separate lobby too. :lol He is playing the hell out of your game!!!

Top Bottom