• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
LeMaximilian said:
Thinking of the whole game in retrospect now. I don't think the MW2 community will go down very much after the release of BO. BO and MW2 are similar, yet at the same time...extremely different in certain regards. It fixes some of the retarded glaring problems of MW2, but has it's own fair share of issues.

Once BO is out for a month or so, I'd put money down that BO and MW2 will swap the top spots with Halo Reach on XBL until the next COD comes out.

World at War had a hard time shaking COD4 because a lot of people (myself included) were over WW2 shooters. Not too encouraged by some of what I'm reading about this, but some of the problems MW2 had never stopped it from catching on either.

Pandemic

Gah, I just want this game to be released already, the 1-2 reviews have been pretty positive, but I'll probably just wait for reviews from IGN, etc.

cameltoe

Firing range is another map with terrible spawns...they will spawn right next to you!

I remember this shit when WaW was first released. I stopped playing until they pacthed it. When I returned to the game, I didnt think it much improved....

Lets hope they sort this....its incredibly frustrating!

Pandemic said:
Gah, I just want this game to be released already, the 1-2 reviews have been pretty positive, but I'll probably just wait for reviews from IGN, etc.
Sorry but the fact that you're waiting on an IGN review made me laugh.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I was thinking about this today. So much more atmospheric and tense when you were simply anticipating engagement rather than seeing fucking knife runners every 5 seconds whilst being bombarded by ridiculous shit from above.

I also feel like the reason the maps were so good was because they were end-to-end style maps. It always felt like two fronts coming together and there was much less room for flanking so gettiing behind the enemy was much more rewarding.

Nowadays these maps are so open and full of side routes everyone's just running around like headless chickens looking for a shootout. There's no need to stick with your team mates because you'll just end up getting flanked.

I'm late with this response but cotdammit

YES

Holy crap, I'm sick of these maps full of windows, back routes, holes, shortcuts, etc. etc. etc. There are no "funneling" routes anymore, so everyone is literally all over the place. I hate this new Call of Duty map making style. It sucks so much. These game will never approach CoD4 because of that IMO.

cameltoe said:
Firing range is another map with terrible spawns...they will spawn right next to you!

I remember this shit when WaW was first released. I stopped playing until they pacthed it. When I returned to the game, I didnt think it much improved....

Lets hope they sort this....its incredibly frustrating!
So this is only happening on the smaller maps right? Don't wanna play Nuke Town anymore then.:lol Map looked so awesome. :(

Xux

There's posts on GameFAQs about a care package glitch to give you multiple care packages. Supposedly, JD asked people not to teach it so I guess Treyarch's aware.

Risette

A Good Citizen
johnFkennedy said:
Can anyone confirm if this is pre or post patch?
Comment from uploader
@Sanji0339 Sadly, before patch. But the patch can't stop us GOOD snipers for it only makes your scope in animation wobbly and it is like an illusion but if you concentrate you should be fine. :D

Xux said:
There's posts on GameFAQs about an infinite care package glitch. Supposedly, JD asked people not to teach it so I guess Treyarch's aware.

It's true, but the glitch isn't really infinite as you need a throw-able piece of equipment along with a care package marker.

Mystery

X26 said:
So how bad is rc-car spam for those of you who've played a lot of mp sofar

It's kind of annoying, but you can hear the cars coming from a good ways away, and when someone launches a car by you, the announcement will go something like, "Incoming RC-XD in your vicinity!" so you are more alert.

The most annoying things seem to be the spawns, hipfiring, and the fact that knifing is much more effective now that there's no stopping power. I've put 2 bursts from an M16 into someone running directly at me, and before I could put the third burst into him, he knifes me for the kill. It takes some getting used to, but I just run around a corner ADS until they come around it when I see people charging me.

Another thing to note is that claymores don't click anymore. They make a beeping noise, and it's kind of hard to hear, so you're more likely to die when you trip them than in CoD4 or MW2.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Back again from a couple hours of playing.

I don't think I can describe to everyone how frustrating this game is. And the biggest problem is, I don't know what I can improve to get better. Black Ops is a very interesting shooter. But the immense weight in my heart is only assisted by how tremendously dissapointed I am, because of how excited I was.

I'd argue MW2 is a better shooter at this point.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Mystery said:
I've put 2 bursts from an M16 into someone running directly at me, and before I could put the third burst into him, he knifes me for the kill.

Ugh. When is the review embargo up on this? Getting less excited the more I hear about stuff like this.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

I don't think I can describe to everyone how frustrating this game is. And the biggest problem is, I don't know what I can improve to get better. Black Ops is a very interesting shooter. But the immense weight in my heart is only assisted by how tremendously dissapointed I am, because of how excited I was.

Just cause you're better at a game doesn't make it a better game?

Xux said:
There's posts on GameFAQs about a care package glitch to give you multiple care packages. Supposedly, JD asked people not to teach it so I guess Treyarch's aware.

There was absolutely no reason not to have a public beta for this game. Considering the state of MW2 when it was first launched, this game probably needed one more than ever.

LeMaximilian said:

Fuck Fuck Fuck

LeMaximilian said:

I remember you posting a nuke tutorial when MW2 first launched and you seemed like a decent player. So what's so bad about BO? Are the spawns that terrible?

LeMaximilian said:

Nice job on just making a statement and not giving one reason why.

Mileena

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
My thoughts exactly :lol

I really doubt it'll be worse than MW2. No commando/OMA/Derail already makes it a better game by default.

Max

I am not Max
Aigis said:
What a beast.

LeMaximilian said:

Hopefully said support from the developers will fix your (and soon to be our) problems with the game

Seriously, MW2 was such a pile of glitch fuck that if the spawning system is the only thing bad about Black Ops, then it's a winner. As you said, the fact that there is no One Man Army Danger Tubes, MLC Tac-Knifers, Nukes, or killstreaks that add to killstreaks already make this game better than MW2.

AnEternalEnigma said:

He`s already given two primary reasons a single page back. Bizarre problems with getting the drop on someone and losing the gunfight, and incredibly shitty spawns.

Considering it took THIS long for the negative nancys to come out is extremely impressive. I honestly thought they'd be in here by page 5 or 10 max.

LeMaximilian said:

I don't think I can describe how frustrating it is when people post stuff like this, and don't describe why they find it frustrating.

Until then, I am forced to come to the conclusion that YOU. ARE. A. LIAR. :p

But really....

Loxley

mysticwhip said:
Fuck Fuck Fuck

Can we squash the doom-saying before it even begins? People, make the judgment for yourselves on whether or not it's worse than MW2 when you play it yourself.

It bugs me when I see people who don't have the game cringing to the mercy of the lucky few that managed to play it early and are the first to preach the gospel to the masses on a game's final quality. Let's all just chill out for two seconds.

]Seriously, MW2 was such a pile of glitch fuck that if the spawning system is the only thing bad about Black Ops, then it's a winner. As you said, the fact that there is no One Man Army Danger Tubes, MLC Tac-Knifers, Nukes, or killstreaks that add to killstreaks already make this game better than MW2.

Yep. For me, BO is by default "better" than MW2 because of all the shit Treyarch took out :lol

Mileena

Banned
Oh he only said the spawns were bad in TDM and Domination, which are both awful modes if you ask me. Search/Demolition is pretty much all I play. Crisis averted.

Mystery

Another few things I've noticed about multiplayer:

Ninja/Ninja Pro seems worthless. I have Tritton AX Pros, and when I have Ninja Pro on, I can't hear people without Ninja any more clearly.

Aim Assist has really been toned down, at least when you ADS. This is good, which means you actually have to do slight adjustments with your right stick when tracking a moving target. However, you'll probably be more likely to get the kill if you just spray from the hip, because that seems to be what everyone else does.

Grenade tosses have been toned down. You can't chuck a Semtex across the map, anymore. It feels like they go about 60-70% of the distance from MW2.

Right now people only seem to be populating FFA, TDM, Domination, Demolition and SnD. Everyone camps their asses off in every mode. Hopefully this changes when the game launches.

Snapshot King said:
He`s already given two primary reasons a single page back. Bizarre problems with getting the drop on someone and losing the gunfight, and incredibly shitty spawns.

Oh give me a break. Getting the drop on someone and losing is NOT a glitch. It's called sucking ass and choking.

You don't see a baseball team bitching about baseball when they lead a game for 8 innings but lose in the 9th.

Loxley said:
Can we squash the doom-saying before it even begins? People, make the judgment for yourselves on whether or not it's worse than MW2 when you play it yourself.

It bugs me when I see people who don't have the game cringing to the mercy of the lucky few that managed to play it early and are the first to preach the gospel to the masses on a game's final quality. Let's all just chill out for two seconds.

Yep. For me, BO is by default "better" than MW2 because of all the shit Treyarch took out :lol
Fuck Fuck Fuck

:/

AnEternalEnigma said:
Oh give me a break. Getting the drop on someone and losing is NOT a glitch. It's called sucking ass and choking.

You don't see a baseball team bitching about baseball when they lead a game for 8 innings but lose in the 9th.

Here`s the exact quote.

LeMaximilian said:
Currently lv 15 on the first prestige, and the spawning problem not only happens on Domination games, but on TDM as well. It's easily the most infuriating thing in the game...next to my other huge problem with the gun combat, which is getting the drop on a guy, and he's still able to put you down. I don't like to boast, but I'm a pretty good shot. However, there's a ton of times where I run into a guy, get the first hit and end up getting killed. I've got no idea how the fuck it happens, but it happens often enough to piss me off to no end next to the spawning issues.

First of all, no need to be a douche. Second of all, Max has always struck me as a guy who knew what he was talking about, Street Fighter or shooters or what have you. Third, the guys been uploading vids for the thread, which is mighty nice of him.

So what's your problem?

In objective games, you know where the fuck everyone is going to spawn. If the other team is just going to keep running straight like idiots and not flush out the guy camping their spawns, they deserve to get spawn raped.

Weenerz

Banned
Silly Steam question for you folks. I am buying the game retail and since it's a steamworks title, it requires steam to install/use, which is fine. My concern is, will I be able to play this as soon as I install or will I have to wait for Valve time to be able to play?

johnFkennedy said:
Found a video of the shitty spawns in action. To be fair though, this is a game of demolition, and when it comes to demolition MW2 had the same problem.
The people in that video didn't seem to be aware of their surroundings at all...

Xux

johnFkennedy said:
Found a video of the shitty spawns in action. To be fair though, this is a game of demolition, and when it comes to demolition MW2 had the same problem.

I thought the shitty spawns was the whole point of playing Demolition. I also like how enemies just sort of walk right past them.

Snapshot King said:
Here`s the exact quote.

First of all, no need to be a douche. Second of all, Max has always struck me as a guy who knew what he was talking about, Street Fighter or shooters or what have you. Third, the guys been uploading vids for the thread, which is mighty nice of him.

So what's your problem?

How do you SERIOUSLY take someone seriously whose complaint with a game is "Whenever I shoot someone first, they should die 100% of the time"? That is some ignorant, conceited garbage. Just because he has early access to the game and posts videos doesn't mean he's allowed to have ridiculous viewpoints of what he thinks is "wrong" with a game.

ZeroRay

Weenerz said:
Silly Steam question for you folks. I am buying the game retail and since it's a steamworks title, it requires steam to install/use, which is fine. My concern is, will I be able to play this as soon as I install or will I have to wait for Valve time to be able to play?

Whenever Valve unlocks it, which should be some time on the ninth.

Snapshot King said:
Here`s the exact quote.

So what's your problem?

The spawn concerns sound legit but the thing about getting killed after the drop? The shit happened all the time in MW2 with how easy it is to noobtube. Also if the comments about increased recoil in BO is true, then that might also have something to do with it.

Weenerz

Banned
ZeroRay said:
Whenever Valve unlocks it, which should be some time on the ninth.

Ugh, one drawback for buying a Steamworks title at retail I guess. No point in going to the midnight launch now.

AnEternalEnigma said:
How do you SERIOUSLY take someone seriously whose complaint with a game is "Whenever I shoot someone first, they should die 100% of the time"? That is some ignorant, conceited garbage. Just because he has early access to the game and posts videos doesn't mean he's allowed to have ridiculous viewpoints of what he thinks is "wrong" with a game.

Anyone's allowed to have whatever viewpoint they like, particularly if they have experience which you don't. Also part of my point is that he's always been civil and nice enough to upload stuff, in addition to being pretty good and again, I've never seen him not know what he's talking about. Why should I listen to you, when instead you're being a pompous ass. I mean, you're reacting like some kind of hype crazed fanboy. Tone it down.

johnFkennedy said:

you ever think maybe treyarch did this on purpose just to fuck wit people that got the game prelaunch? i wouldnt be surprised if the reset tomorrow comes with a patch as well.

Top Bottom