• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Bradach

rance said:
I haven't a clue, but the last few CoD games have been 6-8 hours on veteran first run. Can't see that changing much at all.
yeah, can't see them changing that either. That's fine by me, as i know i'll get a good 100 hours out of MP but a mate of mine is on the fence and doesn't really play MP.

Mystery said:
Another few things I've noticed about multiplayer:

Ninja/Ninja Pro seems worthless. I have Tritton AX Pros, and when I have Ninja Pro on, I can't hear people without Ninja any more clearly.

Aim Assist has really been toned down, at least when you ADS. This is good, which means you actually have to do slight adjustments with your right stick when tracking a moving target. However, you'll probably be more likely to get the kill if you just spray from the hip, because that seems to be what everyone else does.

Grenade tosses have been toned down. You can't chuck a Semtex across the map, anymore. It feels like they go about 60-70% of the distance from MW2.

Right now people only seem to be populating FFA, TDM, Domination, Demolition and SnD. Everyone camps their asses off in every mode. Hopefully this changes when the game launches.

I've always hated grenade spamming in COD games. MW2 grenades were pretty bad too because it would always seem that someone could easily duck behind cover blindly chuck a grenade halfway across the map and with pip-point accuracy it lands at your feet.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I've been so close to the edge of buying this game for so long - I could have been playing since last Friday but little things keep holding me back but I still wanna buy the game...

I'm glad Max posted about the spawns, it's one of the nuisances I've had about MW2, even though it's not at the very top where sorry-ass campers, grenade launchers and lag stand in my book - but I still wanna pick it up seeing as since I've been playing MW2 again on and off for the past couple weeks I've been going 14-2, 15-2 while running around, and only experience lots of deaths from random OMA + Danger Close grenade launchers and people just launching rockets around corners...

The back of my mind just wants to play a COD without that nonsense, even if it means worse spawns - at least it'll mean that I'll see the person that kills me. Plus the so many new things like the Wager Matches and the saving replays (FINALLY a big shooter tries to step it up like Bungie did) and the juicy fundamental changes like no more killstreak stacking, and I want to buy the game...

Plus I can get a sick deal on the game that is the cheapest I've seen from the guys that run the store: €50 for the game plus the guide - nowhere else has that good of a deal...

Damn. So torn.

Always-honest said:
6 hours, give or take a few hours :p
Sounds about right, took my about this time on saturday. I really enjoyed the SP.

The MP is also really growing on me, I loved CoD4 and gave up MW2's MP, so this is indeed promising. I'm at level 25 now and still having fun :D

I love that they have toned down Modern Airfare 2, it usually doesn't rain hell from more than one chopper in each TDM match.

Arucardo

Game's in the mail now and I'll have it tomorrow, but I won't be able to play it before friday since I don't have a gaming capable pc at my apartment :| .

Skilotonn said:
I've been so close to the edge of buying this game for so long - I could have been playing since last Friday but little things keep holding me back but I still wanna buy the game...

I'm glad Max posted about the spawns, it's one of the nuisances I've had about MW2, even though it's not at the very top where sorry-ass campers, grenade launchers and lag stand in my book - but I still wanna pick it up seeing as since I've been playing MW2 again on and off for the past couple weeks I've been going 14-2, 15-2 while running around, and only experience lots of deaths from random OMA + Danger Close grenade launchers and people just launching rockets around corners...

The back of my mind just wants to play a COD without that nonsense, even if it means worse spawns - at least it'll mean that I'll see the person that kills me. Plus the so many new things like the Wager Matches and the saving replays (FINALLY a big shooter tries to step it up like Bungie did) and the juicy fundamental changes like no more killstreak stacking, and I want to buy the game...

Plus I can get a sick deal on the game that is the cheapest I've seen from the guys that run the store: €50 for the game plus the guide - nowhere else has that good of a deal...

Damn. So torn.

If your going to buy it anyway now is the best time. The deals now are probably the best deals your gonna get for the game for months.

cameltoe

TheApatheticOne said:
Picking up tonight and took tomorrow off work. Sucks to hear that the spawn points are such an issue. : (

The mode with the least amount of spawn issues seems to be CTF....but there's hardly anyone playing that mode....sigh+

I need a HC mosh pit!!! Make it happen Treyarch!!

Why the fuck is it every game I join is running Nuketown? Must have played it 5 games straight last night

Probably won't even get to play this until the weekend. :( Doesn't even look like it's shipped from where I got my pre-order and I've got to work on Remembrance Day as well.

DMeisterJ said:
Has Amazon charged anyone who has gotten Release-Date Delivery yet? I'm trying to play the odds cause my fucking bank still hasn't put the check I deposited 2 days ago into my available balance from current balance. :/ I really want the 20 dollar game credit.
I have not been charged either and I placed my order Wednesday. Don't fuck over me Amazon!

Used my $20 credit from Fable 3 on Amazon to pre-order this, reading the OP with all the multiplayer changes on Friday suddenly made me really want the game. Me and my roommate last year got so tired of MW2 because of all the frustration that the constant killstreaking and air support caused and I like that CODBlops (that is the shorthand now, I hope) seems to be curbing a lot of that.

And I've always enjoyed COD singleplayer so more of that is always great, if not the longest in the world. 39.99 is far easier to stomach than 59.99 in any event!

Big Baybee said:
I have not been charged either and I placed my order Wednesday. Don't fuck over me Amazon!

Amazon does not charge until your item ships. Check your status; if it says "shipping soon" than it will go out before the end of the day. Release day shipping is basically one-day shipping under another name.

WyndhamPrice said:
Used my $20 credit from Fable 3 on Amazon to pre-order this, reading the OP with all the multiplayer changes on Friday suddenly made me really want the game. Me and my roommate last year got so tired of MW2 because of all the frustration that the constant killstreaking and air support caused and I like that CODBlops (that is the shorthand now, I hope) seems to be curbing a lot of that.

And I've always enjoyed COD singleplayer so more of that is always great, if not the longest in the world. 39.99 is far easier to stomach than 59.99 in any event!

Same here. Looking forward to playing this.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
bobs99 ... said:
If your going to buy it anyway now is the best time. The deals now are probably the best deals your gonna get for the game for months.

Yup, that's another thing that's on my mind as well, because MW2 still costs 40-45 new here everywhere at the lowest - I think I'm just gonna go for it tomorrow.

Eric WK

Maffis said:
Just posting this here (again) in case people are getting turned off because of glitches and spawning. It's from the official forums. And a developer.

That's a direct response to the 15th prestige lobby video and has nothing to do with the spawn videos or floating apple.

ResidentDante said:
I love that they have toned down Modern Airfare 2, it usually doesn't rain hell from more than one chopper in each TDM match.
Thank the heavens above for that.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I forgot to mention this in my little review.. the teammate AI is TERRIBLE!
i suggest they leave this OUT the next time,... Goddamn, it ruined parts of Halo Reach for me. Apparently it can't be done.

Considering how much I hated the other CoD's. This is the first one I'm pre-ordering, it actually looks like they have fixed a lot of the MP problems and the campaign actually looks very interesting, looking forward to tomorrow. :D

RedSwirl

I've always thought that the thing Treyarch lacked in terms of SP compared to Infinity Ward was memorable moments. Does Black Ops learn this lesson? How good is the core SP gameplay overall compared to say, COD4?

RedSwirl said:
I've always thought that the thing Treyarch lacked in terms of SP compared to Infinity Ward was memorable moments. Does Black Ops learn this lesson? How good is the core SP gameplay overall compared to say, COD4?
Just as good. They tried to cram in as many memorable moments as possible in this.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
So it's a Call of Duty game?
So this is a worthless post? Seriously, why bother with game reviews or holding any criticisms against the game if all it's going to come down to is this.

X26

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
I wonder if they'll reset the stats tomorrow.

If it was going to happen it would be before the aussies get it. Aussie's already have it, and there was no reset, so I can't imagine it happening now

DevelopmentArrested said:
Just as good. They tried to cram in as many memorable moments as possible in this.

So this is a worthless post? Seriously, why bother with game reviews or holding any criticisms against the game if all it's coming to come down to is: It's a Call of Duty game then durrp.

Calm down. I wasn't attempting to stifle criticism. It was more to do with the fact that I was simply expecting all the same flaws from previous CoD games to be present in this game too. So basically, I have pretty low expectations when it comes to CoD SP, that's all. Sorry to have irked you.

Time to leave some feedback from someone who has only spent about 40 hours of play time in MW2, note I have only played online so far since it's why I bought the game.

Everything feels 1 step slower, less 1 hit kills, kill streaks are not as strong as they were in MW2, diving is rather cool and you can't shoot until you land so it balances itself out, weapons so far for the first 10 levels have been a nice mix of burst, semi auto and fully automatic, semtex has been toned down from the overkill status in MW2 but is still good.

So far I am enjoying it a lot, the slightly slower combat works much better but it's still a fast rush or camp game, the same cod everyone seems to love.

Diablohead said:
Time to leave some feedback from someone who has only spent about 40 hours of play time in MW2, note I have only played online so far since it's why I bought the game.

Everything feels 1 step slower, less 1 hit kills, kill streaks are not as strong as they were in MW2, diving is rather cool and you can't shoot until you land so it balances itself out, weapons so far for the first 10 levels have been a nice mix of burst, semi auto and fully automatic, semtex has been toned down from the overkill status in MW2 but is still good.

So far I am enjoying it a lot, the slightly slower combat works much better but it's still a fast rush or camp game, the same cod everyone seems to love.
Can you comment on the spawn frustrations that have been popping up? Thanks for impressions. Slower is definitely better for me!

RedSwirl

The Dutch Slayer said:
<3 it !!

for everyone that can not see the pic I uploaded it again.

2m4rrr8.png

So the PC version will be limited to 18-player games?

Arucardo

Diablohead said:

Oh snap, you're making this sound pretty good :lol something about MW2 rubbed me the wrong way, not sure if it was the pace of the game or the maps.

shichishito said:
Can you comment on the spawn frustrations that have been popping up? Thanks for impressions. Slower is definitely better for me!
Will need to play the game more but there has been a few times where I spawned and then had 3 enemies spawn where I was about 5 seconds after I moved, might have just been bad luck.

cameltoe

RedSwirl said:

So far...No. But I am only maybe an hour in......

RedSwirl said:
So the PC version will be limited to 18-player games?
Those are official ranked servers, I am going to guess and say that unranked ones will be edited to support 32 or whatever. *edit* explained better above me.

I've always found it rather peculiar that some PC players want to play with a huge number of people per match on maps that don't appear to be designed for those numbers at all. Is it just a 'moar is better' attitude or am I missing something.

cameltoe

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I've always found it rather peculiar that some PC players want to play with a huge number of people per match on maps that don't appear to be designed for those numbers at all. Is it just a 'moar is better' attitude or am I missing something.

18 is a good number for these maps....24 will be crazy on some of the smaller maps!

Top Bottom