• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Tokubetsu

Dina said:
I remember CoD 1 having shitty TDM spawns. 7 CoD games in, it's still there, albeit worse. I am still pumped, but it seems like they can't fix this no matter how hard they try.

I honestly believe the maps themselves are partly at fault. You kill so fast, run so fast, can get anywhere in no time because dropping out of windows is quick and hopping back in is too. As someone said, there are no tunnels anymore, only windows, doors, streets and passageways. With so much mobility, everyone can get everywhere.

That cracked video from the french dude with the famas earlier? Even with the same issues, it wouldn't be the same in CoD 1. The reload on that game is a lot slower, there is no spring, jumping slows you down, as does taking damage or falling from great heights.

The solution is making maps bigger, or creating less passageways.

Yea. I remember in CoD1 how the "it" gun was the MP44 and even though it could go full auto, people still only ever used in semi. You could just tap fire and kill anything at pretty much any range. Everyone just camping doors and hallways on Chateau. I miss that map :lol

Blutonium

GAF, please recommend me something I can do today to make the time go faster. It's noon here and I can pick it up 8 am tomorrow morning.

Can't....wait...any...longer.

Jb

Blutonium said:
GAF, please recommend me something I can do today to make the time go faster. It's noon here and I can pick it up 8 am tomorrow morning.

Take a nap?
Read a book?

G_Berry

Banned
It's 9:55pm here in Australia. Going to midnight launch soon! I'm already number 3 in line, EB guys hooked me up!

Can't FUCKING WAIT!

Blutonium said:

Play some World at War. I've just been playing some of the vehicle missions and they're actually a lot of fun. :D

LowParry

Blutonium said:

Got a PSP? Ys: The Oath in Felghana.

I have to wait until wednesday to get to play BO, but damn, I can't wait either - despite the few negative comments about spawns ( which can be fixed ) and nerfed shotguns ( I was never a big shotgun-guy in MW2 to begin with ).

I'm especially excited about the Wager Matches. One in the chamber will probably be my biggest time-waster.

Dina said:
I honestly believe the maps themselves are partly at fault. You kill so fast, run so fast, can get anywhere in no time because dropping out of windows is quick and hopping back in is too. As someone said, there are no tunnels anymore, only windows, doors, streets and passageways. With so much mobility, everyone can get everywhere

Second time I've seen this on the last couple of pages, and again, I have to agree. The maps in MW2 especially (since I haven't tested the BO maps) have way too many doorways, windows, entry points, flanking routes all over the place, plains with no cover, etc. etc.

CoD4 had it right. One to three main structures should be complex, but the rest of the map should be designed to "funnel" people towards the skirmishes so the game constantly feels like a battle for position. MW2 always felt like 2 teams going at each other in 5-6 completely separate battles instead of moving a 6 v 6 game around the map. There was no "flow" and with every structure having 4+ windows or doorways, or having 5,000 corners, and every alley intersecting with another alley, the maps were like mazes. I hated them. Let's not even get into the overabundance of accessible rooftops that add unneeded verticality to the mix.

I really hope that the BO maps flow better once everyone gets used to them. The philosophy that more holes, and sight lines in a map makes for a better map is certainly not one I agree with. If they want more paths in a map, do it like Team Fortress 2 with ACTUAL alternate paths, not just windows and hallways everywhere.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Got my copy from GAME but need to wait until tomorrow, one of the most annoying things about Steam if you ask me.

Tokubetsu

Net_Wrecker said:
Second time I've seen this on the last couple of pages, and again, I have to agree. The maps in MW2 especially (since I haven't tested the BO maps) have way too many doorways, windows, entry points, flanking routes all over the place, plains with no cover, etc. etc.

CoD4 had it right. One to three main structures should be complex, but the rest of the map should be designed to "funnel" people towards the skirmishes so the game constantly feels like a battle for potion. MW2 always felt like 2 teams going at each other in 5-6 completely separate battles instead of moving a 6 v 6 game around the map. There was no "flow" and with every structure having 4+ windows or doorways, or having 5,000 corners, and every alley intersecting with another alley, the maps were like mazes. I hated them. Let's not even get into the overabundance of accessible rooftops that add unneeded verticality to the mix.

I really hope that the BO maps flow better once everyone gets used to them. The philosophy that more holes, and sight lines in a map makes for a better map is certainly not one I agree with. If they want more paths in a map, do it like Team Fortress 2 with ACTUAL alternate paths, not just windows and hallways everywhere.

Highrise is the one map that comes to mind in MW2 that actually had a back forth, an actual flow it. The DLC map, Carnival was one of the worst map offendors though. You were pretty much never safe. At any given moment, the enemy team could have 2+ angles on you.

Maffis

Just posting this here (again) in case people are getting turned off because of glitches and spawning. It's from the official forums. And a developer.

"This is going to be my one and only statement on this topic, so pay attention.

I got Twitbombed today from dozens of people the same 2 links. Some are people using old dashboards or old versions of the game. Others are claiming victory on old dev builds that don't even connect to the version of Xbox Live that you use. Others are reproducible issues that we will hotfix or patch just like we said we would. In essence, we likely know more about it than you do from watching a video on Vimeo or YouTube.

What many of these people want is to be Internet nerd famous. I'm not going to make them famous and you shouldn't either. Internet hysteria from normal people is exactly what they want and that's how many people reacted today. You gave them exactly what they want.

Given the opportunity, I'd personally wield the ban hammer for anyone who thinks he is clever by abusing any glitches. Good think I don't have the opportunity that often and we actually have a constructive, measured, and well-managed live ops team.

We said we would support the game. We are going to support it.

I've gone out of my way using my own limited, personal time to try and get to know about 8000 (and growing) as best I can. The last thing I want is for you to think that because I don't talk about it ... that we don't know or care about it. We didn't spend 2 years of our lives to toss it all in the trash in one day.

I thank all of you who sent in polite, constructive messages without the hysterics.

So here is my one and only public statement about it.

I'm not going to talk about it publicly. We are disinterested in making mini-celebrities out of douche-bags. You better think twice before you glitch. You never know who in your game doesn't like glitchers who reports you and saves the game in their File Share and tells us about it.

Our forum admins and VIPs along with JD_2020 (Community Manager) will be managing the communication directly.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar"

Spookie

Ikuu said:
Got my copy from GAME but need to wait until tomorrow, one of the most annoying things about Steam if you ask me.

Surprised GAME came through to get it to us on Monday. Time to get in the beers. I've got two days off for this! :lol

Dina

Net_Wrecker said:

CoD4 had it right. One to three main structures should be complex, but the rest of the map should be designed to "funnel" people towards the skirmishes so the game constantly feels like a battle for position. MW2 always felt like 2 teams going at each other in 5-6 completely separate battles instead of moving a 6 v 6 game around the map. There was no "flow" and with every structure having 4+ windows or doorways, or having 5,000 corners, and every alley intersecting with another alley, the maps were like mazes. I hated them. Let's not even get into the overabundance of accessible rooftops that add unneeded verticality to the mix.

CoD 1 also had it right. Remember Carentan? Great map, with two sides clashing in 3, maybe 4 skirmish spots. Dawnville as well, with 3 skirmish spots. Railyard, Brecourt, Depot, all the greats of old flowed wonderfully in S&D.

Adamm said:
Im hoping ShopTo have came through for me and shipped my copy early :D

Don't hold your breath. I cancelled my pre-order with them because they specifically said they were doing everything they could to make sure we didn't get the game early. I don't think they're even dispatching them until today :(

Still, good luck though..

You know that Modern Warfare 2 had a novel attempt at a solution to the spawn system problems, right? It was called Painkiller. As much as we hated it (because it was bullshit), it definitely made it easier to break out of minor spawn camps. I'm certainly not suggesting that it be brought back, but going back to MW2 recently made me aware of just how often painkiller saved my ass when spawnlocked in Domination.

chapel

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
You know that Modern Warfare 2 had a novel attempt at a solution to the spawn system problems, right? It was called Painkiller. As much as we hated it (because it was bullshit), it definitely made it easier to break out of minor spawn camps. I'm certainly not suggesting that it be brought back, but going back to MW2 recently made me aware of just how often painkiller saved my ass when spawnlocked in Domination.
Sure, instead of fixing the spawn issue, they just try to disguise it by making someone harder to kill. I am not saying it is an easy fix, but there are games that get spawns right, and CoD seems to not be one of them.

Linconan said:
Putting your copy up on Ebay

:lol
Fuck that shit, royal mail have been going downhill and first class is now 2-3 days average, only a year or two ago it was always 1-2 working days.

My copy was posted on friday, still not here :(

Maffis said:
Just posting this here (again) in case people are getting turned off because of glitches and spawning. It's from the official forums. And a developer.

I got Twitbombed today from dozens of people the same 2 links. Some are people using old dashboards or old versions of the game. Others are claiming victory on old dev builds that don't even connect to the version of Xbox Live that you use. Others are reproducible issues that we will hotfix or patch just like we said we would. In essence, we likely know more about it than you do from watching a video on Vimeo or YouTube.

What many of these people want is to be Internet nerd famous. I'm not going to make them famous and you shouldn't either. Internet hysteria from normal people is exactly what they want and that's how many people reacted today. You gave them exactly what they want.

Given the opportunity, I'd personally wield the ban hammer for anyone who thinks he is clever by abusing any glitches. Good think I don't have the opportunity that often and we actually have a constructive, measured, and well-managed live ops team.

I've gone out of my way using my own limited, personal time to try and get to know about 8000 (and growing) as best I can. The last thing I want is for you to think that because I don't talk about it ... that we don't know or care about it. We didn't spend 2 years of our lives to toss it all in the trash in one day.

I thank all of you who sent in polite, constructive messages without the hysterics.

I'm not going to talk about it publicly. We are disinterested in making mini-celebrities out of douche-bags. You better think twice before you glitch. You never know who in your game doesn't like glitchers who reports you and saves the game in their File Share and tells us about it.

Our forum admins and VIPs along with JD_2020 (Community Manager) will be managing the communication directly.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar"
Great Reaction.

cameltoe

divisionbyzorro said:

Getting spawn camped is one thing...but, after killing a dude you stop to reload and an enemy spawns right next to you!! That's just fucked up bullshit...and it happens A LOT.

Oh yeah bitches! codblops is here in my hand :D late postie pulled through!

I think we should all stick our clan tags as nGAF for a while, see how many we bump into :D

Why are people banging on about the spawns so much? The people getting nailed by the guy in the same area was their own fault for not taking him out, they just ran past him.

LeMaximilian said:
After 3 straight days of playing the MP, I'd rather play MW2 right now. And I fucking despise MW2.

You stated a few posts beforehand that you've put "25 days, 10th prestige and K/D of 3.10" worth into MW2. I don't really think you can get away with saying you "despise" it. :lol

DSN2K

long shot but does the PC version have splitscreen multiplayer as well ? be awesome if I could plug my PC into the HD tv and use the 2 xbox pads.

IceMarker

Maffis said:

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar"
*slow clap*

Plasma

Banned
Still haven't got a dispatch email from Shopto, anyone else had any luck with them yet?

I know they are sending them out today but I thought they would have had to sent them out by now to get here for tomorrow.

Killer

Banned
are the extra maps from the hardened edition available on the PSN? cause i'm buying the regular edition and wondering if it ever be available for purchase.

GodofWine

Im sure it's somwhere in these 2500 posts...but since I don't have time to look:

Can someone comment on whether in terms of 'speed of play' and 'gun play style' is this going to just be another run / gun / twitch / sprint / stab farce, or are they trying to make it at least vaguely realistic??

I have been determined to be done with this franchise as it no longer really appeals to me...but I simply feel like I must have it..damned addictions...

DMeisterJ

Banned
Has Amazon charged anyone who has gotten Release-Date Delivery yet? I'm trying to play the odds cause my fucking bank still hasn't put the check I deposited 2 days ago into my available balance from current balance. :/ I really want the 20 dollar game credit.

def sim

Bradach said:
Does anyone know roughly how long the SP campaign is?

I haven't a clue, but the last few CoD games have been 6-8 hours on veteran first run. Can't see that changing much at all.

cameltoe

MarkMclovin said:
Why are people banging on about the spawns so much? The people getting nailed by the guy in the same area was their own fault for not taking him out, they just ran past him.

Have you played the game?

You kill a dude, there's no one else in the area...you start to move forward and get killed from behind because he just spawned right behind you. Ive cleared an area only to be killed from behind where there is no entry way...they spawn right behind you!!

Jb

rance said:
I haven't a clue, but the last few CoD games have been 6-8 hours on veteran first run. Can't see that changing much at all.
You play on veteran for your first run? :/

DMeisterJ said:
Has Amazon charged anyone who has gotten Release-Date Delivery yet? I'm trying to play the odds cause my fucking bank still hasn't put the check I deposited 2 days ago into my available balance from current balance. :/ I really want the 20 dollar game credit.

I have release day delivery with Amazon and they charged me today.

Top Bottom