• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Do you guys think the PC version of Black Ops should run about the same requirements/same graphics and FPS as MW2 on pc with the same hardware?

The Chef

Guys is it possible this game could suck? Are people mega hyped for this because its COD? I mean World at War really wasn't a great game...and the fact that the embargo ends release day? Im nervous this game could end up sucking... I think Im gonna hold out and wait for Gaf reviews.

Spookie said:
Surprised GAME came through to get it to us on Monday. Time to get in the beers. I've got two days off for this! :lol

I ordered from Game and got the big box thingy, they posted by parcel force who are now kindly holding it till tomorrow, what a load of arse.

Lothars

The Chef said:
Guys is it possible this game could suck? Are people mega hyped for this because its COD? I mean World at War really wasn't a great game...and the fact that the embargo ends release day? Im nervous this game could end up sucking... I think Im gonna hold out and wait for Gaf reviews.

I agree, it's possible it could suck, I think right now it's more of a hype train but It's Treyarch and well it could be good, it has a chance of not being that good either.

ACE 1991

I'm curious as to how this game will end up being recieved MP wise. Will reviewers just say "hurr durr it's just MW2 'cept not modern" or recognize the great amount of balancing done by Treyarch in order to make it a superior experience, should these promises be true?

Eric WK

The Chef said:

Most impressions of the campaign are very positive, at least in comparison to past games in the series. Multiplayer is very subjective and varies with experience so I doubt one could glean a whole hell of a lot without playing it.

The Chef said:
I thought it was really good, although co-op campaign was a big part of that.

I have a feeling this will be a real solid game, the embargo means nothing probably. Bots and zombies are what I'm looking forward to probably even more than the SP.

Mik2121

The Chef said:
Dunno, it could suck, but from what I've seen from many videos on youtube, it seems to be pretty much Modern Warfare 2 set on a different era, and with many of the bullshit unbalanced stuff fixed, plus more playlists, weapons and new stuff that we didn't have.

I really don't think it will suck, even if WaW wasn't the best thing ever, developers (usually) learn tons after each title they produce, so...

The Chef said:
it doesn't suck, in fact it's great (i too hated WaW). same day review embargoes seem the norm these days, i wouldn't worry.

World At War was my favorite Call of Duty game. The weapons, the maps, the atmosphere. All great. The only area it was 1upped (imo) was by CoD4's singleplayer.

Hearing people say this game is like WaW gets me incredibly excited.

Median

Eric WK said:
Most impressions of the campaign are very positive, at least in comparison to past games in the series. Multiplayer is very subjective and varies with experience so I doubt one could glean a whole hell of a lot without playing it.

Indeed. I've played a couple hours of the campaign and I've enjoyed what I've played. To echo DevelopmentArrested's sentiments, the game seems very focused on set pieces and delivering "holy crap" moments. In terms of the multiplayer, I've put around 3 hours in so far and it feels like Call of Duty, as terrible as that sounds. I haven't really played enough of it to make a clear, concise decision on whether or not it's better than the other games, but I've enjoyed it so far. The only real issue I've had with multi was in a TDM game on Nuketown. Jesus, that spawns seem to be a little heinous on that map. I would constantly spawn in the same area as the other team, and I'd sometimes have enemies spawn a little ways away from me. It was really hectic and a little frustrating.

Always-honest said:
so you have to aim for a couple of seconds?... wouldn't that make sniping completely useless?
It makes running around with a sniper rifle using it like a smg useless yea, also nuketown the smallest map in the game is not one you really want to use a sniper rifle on.

If you want to run and gun you use a rifle or smg, or even a shotgun, snipers for the larger maps.

Raiden

Banned
The Chef said:

Now you made me think, i do not like to think. But you may have a point, and it does not help that WaW was kinda lame compared to Modern Warfare 1 and 2, oh yes i went there.

dark_inferno said:

Looks like they went overboard. Now whether you get a kill or not is based on some arbitrary wait-timer that the player has no clue about.
If they wanted the player to take more time to get in sights then they should have slowed down the hip to ADS animation. Once I get my sights up and i breahe in and shoot at someone, it should hit the mark.

butts

Yea that isnt quickscoping as was abused in MW2, that is scoping and aiming... hopefully that is just lag or something.

Mulberry

Always-honest said:
so you have to aim for a couple of seconds?... wouldn't that make sniping completely useless?
no, like in TF2 you have to be in the scope for an amount of time to get the full benefit (power) of your gun.

There was an update on Steam for back ops a 103 MB update. I thought maybe i could play it after the update but nope. wishful thinking I guess. lol :lol

he says he's playing against bots so there should be no lag.

I don't think it's a "wait timer" I think that going into the scope view doesn't make your aim pinpoint accurate.

It probably works just like no-scoping at that point where there's a good deal of randomness to where the shot goes.

That's how it should be. Your aim shouldn't be instantly pinpoint accurate just cause you're looking down the sight. You're basically running around shooting it at the hip at that point.

.nimrod

caliblue15 said:
He's actually aiming and missing, has to be lag.
He says that he's playing against bots. Snipers are nerfed way too much now :/

SonOfABeep said:
[..]I don't think it's a "wait timer" I think that going into the scope view doesn't make your aim pinpoint accurate.

It probably works just like no-scoping at that point where there's a good deal of randomness to where the shot goes.

That's how it should be. Your aim shouldn't be instantly pinpoint accurate just cause you're looking down the sight. You're basically running around shooting it at the hip at that point.
I absolutely hate it, they should let snipers have lots of sway or maybe let them be off target when you scope in, but in no way should a bullet go anywhere else but the center of your crosshair once you are scoped in.

Raiden

Banned
SonOfABeep said:

I don't think it's a "wait timer" I think that going into the scope view doesn't make your aim pinpoint accurate.

Exactly, and people tend to forget that the majority of those snipers weigh a shitload, it would make no sense to stand up and in 0.5 seconds lift that sniper up to your shoulders/head and make it dropdead accurate.

Now CoD aint realistic, but there ought to be a line.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
so the PC 'rankhed' servers are all Treyarch owned/operated?

if that is the case, that is a very, very good thing imho.

butts

They went overboard, scoping in should put you looking at a random area (not dead center like before) and make you adjust, but the crosshair should be right where the bullet will land.

Kyoufu

kyo_daikun said:
I ordered from Game and got the big box thingy, they posted by parcel force who are now kindly holding it till tomorrow, what a load of arse.

Parcel Farce strikes again.

If scoping put you in a random area it'd make long range, legitimate sniping harder. This only affects the stupid, they didn't want it in the game sniping.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
butts said:
They went overboard, scoping in should put you looking at a random area (not dead center like before) and make you adjust, but the crosshair should be right where the bullet will land.
The first video showed that it was exactly that. It's a bit odd that this one shows an entirely different result.

SonOfABeep said:

It's an obvious quick patch to "fix" quick scoping. I guarantee if he waits X amount of time after going into ADS the sniper will be pin-point accurate just like before. There's a wait-time now between ADS and accuracy...and that is a dumb arbitrary ambiguous solution.

If scoping put you in a random area it'd make long range, legitimate sniping harder. This only affects the stupid, they didn't want it in the game sniping.

Please explain how you come to this conclusion.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mr. B Natural said:
It's an obvious quick patch to "fix" quick scoping. I guarantee if he waits X amount of time after going into ADS the sniper will be pin-point accurate just like before. There's a wait-time now between ADS and accuracy...and that is a dumb arbitrary ambiguous solution.
Why is it dumb and arbitrary and ambiguous? It seems like the best solution to make quick scoping a slower process.

poppabk said:
Why is it dumb and arbitrary and ambiguous? It seems like the best solution to make quick scoping a slower process.

There's no feedback regarding this "invisible timer." It only works if it's completely obvious when a shot will hit and when it won't. With no feedback it's essentially random, and thus bullshit.

I don't like quickscopers any more than the next guy, but this seems like a cheap, dumb solution.

poppabk said:

If I told you that what you see on your screen isn't whats happening for X amount of time with no indication of when that will change, then how do you not understand how that's ambiguous and stupid?

Best solution to fixing quick scoping is to make the hip-fir to ADS animation slower so the player knows when he can actually shoot the guy on your sights.

Btw, that video was not quick scoping. He's aiming briefly on the guy, and shooting. Yes, it's in short range, but if he can't hit the guy at short range then he sure as hell wouldn't be able to at long range.

ACE 1991

divisionbyzorro said:
There's no feedback regarding this "invisible timer." It only works if it's completely obvious when a shot will hit and when it won't. With no feedback it's essentially random, and thus bullshit.

I don't like quickscopers any more than the next guy, but this seems like a cheap, dumb solution.

Good point, although after a while I'm sure players will be able to internalize this "invisible timer."

If they want snipers to sit around scoped in on one point, at least give back minimap while scoped in or something. Why even put the snipers in the game if you're going to make them completely worthless? Just take them out and stop pretending.

yoopoo

Banned
Anyone's Amazon order ship yet? I chose the option for release day delivery...but its still showing as 'Shipping Soon'.

ACE 1991 said:
Good point, although after a while I'm sure players will be able to internalize this "invisible timer."

They shouldn't have to. That's the whole point of having different ADS times between smgs, ars, lmgs and snipers. There's already a system in place for balancing weapons in this game. Treyarch should use it.

Top Bottom