• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
vatstep said:
I told myself I wasn't going to buy this. Even though I loved MW2 and put a shitload of time into it, I told myself that I didn't need a new COD game every year and would skip this one (or at least hold off on it for now). I told myself that I have too many other games to play, and that if I bought this, I'd basically be throwing money down the drain since all my other games would remain neglected...

Fuuuuuck, just ordered it. The hype got to me, and the $20 Amazon promotion was too good to pass up. Well, at least I have a few days to complete Vanquish before it gets here. :|
I did the exact same thing, with the exception of I don't have a lot of other games to play. :lol

Jex

I woke up to hear the radio discussing Kinect and Black-Ops in the same breath as the big things for Christmas. It's impact is felt!

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Jexhius said:
I woke up to hear the radio discussing Kinect and Black-Ops in the same breath as the big things for Christmas. It's impact is felt!

Finally! Call of Duty breaks into the mainsteam!

AnEternalEnigma said:
Been playing for two hours. Seen no spawn issues or care package glitching. :D
I've seen some pretty bad spawning, but it's not exactly a game ruiner. Haven't seen any care package glitching though. Considering the spawning is the only complaint I have against the game, that's pretty good.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Finally! Call of Duty breaks into the mainsteam!

:lol :lol :lol

Well im off to hunt for my copy, a lesson learnt - dont rely on supermarket price wars. Next time im just gonna pre-order although if this sucks im not sure ill buy into the next CoD.

Oh wait, I said that last year. :p

Game is pretty cool. Aside from a laggy first match and some party connection issues early on, it's pretty damn awesome. Feels a lot like pre-MW2 CoD, but granted haven't unlocked killstreaks yet. Sp seems pretty cool, but the first level seemed a tad too Fravela, i.e everyone looks the same and shit is a little too hectic. Overall, early impressions are very positive for me. The spawn shit is overblown. I've yet to see any major spawn issues. I even have a positive K/D ratio and I suck.

Pikelet

bathala said:
USA News have their review, but the first few paragraphs....

That review is hilariously bad. Never mind all the journalist pandering, the review reads like a summary of the modes and the levels with a bunch of hyperbole to stitch it together.

LevityNYC

Banned
I own a Samsun 63" Plasma C8000 3D TV.

I went and played in 3D and I have to say, its the worst of all of the 3D games I've played so far.

The 3D effect is pretty poor as the only thing that really jumps out is the gun, which gets distracting when aiming down the sites. My TV can make any game look 3D with a simple button press and games like Halo Reach look poor because they weren't designed for 3D.

Games like SSHD and Wipeout and Motorstorm look far better as you can tell that real care went into making them 3D games. Black Ops looks like the 3D effect was developed last minute. My TV can actually make the game look better in 3D on its own rather than changing the in game settings.

The image itself isn't nearly as crisp or clean which is very important in this game. It seems to run in 30FPS rather than 60. I will try with the PS3 version tomorrow to see if I notice any improvement.

EuroGamer

Call of Duty has long since settled into an enormously successful rhythm, and the good news for Activision is that Black Ops does little to disrupt it. The campaign is relentlessly aggressive and spectacular – a Jerry Bruckheimer tribute act stuck in permanent encore – while the multiplayer modes are a mixture of smart tweaks to working formulas, as focused on protecting that guaranteed bottom line as the campaign's yellow objective cursor is on making sure you never falter. The results are never less than entertaining whatever you choose to do, then, but not exactly brave and bold either. Say what you like about No Russian - at least it was something different.

8/10

Yerolo

Ausgamers Review

Call of Duty: Black Ops delivers, and delivers in solid measure. Does it suffer in parts? Yes, and we won’t know how fully until the game has been out for a while, but the sum of its parts make a great whole and in terms of investment, you’re definitely going to get a lot of life out of it. It’s Treyarch’s best work to-date, and possibly the most jam-packed competitive multiplayer offering on the market, with an awesome story thrown in for good measure. Very, very awesome.

9.2 / 10

Xamdou

Date Time Location Event Details
November 8, 2010 10:21:00 PM Sparks NV US Departure Scan
November 8, 2010 08:13:00 PM Sparks NV US Arrival Scan
November 8, 2010 07:32:00 PM Reno NV US Departure Scan
November 8, 2010 07:00:00 PM Reno NV US Shipment received by carrier
November 8, 2010 06:48:41 PM US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

My Xbox 360 copy of Black Ops shipped from Amazon earlier today! :D

So it will be in my hands tomorrow morning!!! :D

Keyser Soze said:

Now im not one for calling out scores and an 8 seems fucking great but i neve rlike when some games get marked down or called out on not being original and others dont. I mean was mw2 much different to mw1, was halo reach so different to halo 3 not really but i cant remeber them being marked down for it. Who cares 8 is a cracking score but its something that ive seen used alot of late which alot of reviewers seem to forget about with other titles.

Sweet, the Treyarch automatic -1 point penalty is in full effect with the “it doesn't do any thing new” bullet point caveat. - I'm being sarcastic btw.

Jeff g is so right about that barrel section, god that was terrible until i figured out wat to do... 8.5/10 seems about right; also the servers are so laggy right now.

SpacLock

Edit: Oh, I guess there are English reviews out already.

The first review on Metacritic is in French. It basically says that it's Treyarch's best Call of Duty, but falls short to Infinitywards. That's all I can really get out of the translator.

Bad Translation:

"Through obstinacy, Treyarch probably delivers to us with Black Ops its best Call of Duty to date - but undoubtedly not the best shutter of the series. Equipped with a worked scenario, failing to be very well told, the countryside solo takes again all the codes of Modern Warfare, sometimes with awkwardness, but it is let play, the time of a large half-dozen of hours filled of decorations and situations rather varied as a whole. One will pestera, once again, over this quite short lifespan, but the developer imported a large part of its know-how of World At War for the multi and there is no doubt that them amateurs will regale themselves, once again, in particular on line."

Jb

SpacLock said:
Edit: Oh, I guess there are English reviews out already.

The first review on Metacritic is in French. It basically says that it's Treyarch's best Call of Duty, but falls short to Infinitywards. That's all I can really get out of the translator.

Bad Translation:

"Through obstinacy, Treyarch probably delivers to us with Black Ops its best Call of Duty to date - but undoubtedly not the best shutter of the series. Equipped with a worked scenario, failing to be very well told, the countryside solo takes again all the codes of Modern Warfare, sometimes with awkwardness, but it is let play, the time of a large half-dozen of hours filled of decorations and situations rather varied as a whole. One will pestera, once again, over this quite short lifespan, but the developer imported a large part of its know-how of World At War for the multi and there is no doubt that them amateurs will regale themselves, once again, in particular on line."
This guy spends waaaaay too much time talking about the SP in his review. Same thing happened with Reach. They have to realize people buy those games for the MP.

Blutonium

Any chance of a PS3 patch incoming that might improve the atrocious framerate?

The game is fun, but I'm seriously considering trading it in for a 360/PC version.

Smokey

corkscrewblow said:
1878 kills/621 deaths and I'm loving every map so far. Bravo Treyarch.
This game SHITS on MW2.

new game syndrome

wait till the masses get their hands on it and see if you feel the same way. can't wait to get mine though, just sayin

KaYotiX

Banned
Smokey said:
new game syndrome

wait till the masses get their hands on it and see if you feel the same way. can't wait to get mine though, just sayin
Agree, we all said the same thing with MW2. A month later it was a giant piece o crap.

Blutonium said:
Any chance of a PS3 patch incoming that might improve the atrocious framerate?

The game is fun, but I'm seriously considering trading it in for a 360/PC version.

Wtf how is it so bad, mw2 was near perfect port to the 360 version.

Weenerz

Banned
Eagerly awaiting the PC patch to fix the horrible horrible 100% CPU usage every 10 seconds. Game is great besides this problem.

KaYotiX said:
Agree, we all said the same thing with MW2. A month later it was a giant piece o crap.

I think well i hope treyarch have already addressed alot of the issues people had with the perks and killstreaks that made mw2 a cluster fuck.

Top Bottom