• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Belfast

Jay-B said:
Btw, what is the general consensus on the MW2 maps?

Mostly shit, IMO. A few were guilty pleasures, but it was rare -- when my friends and I were playing together -- that any of us would actually be happy about the next map in the rotation.

jonnybryce said:
Not at all. They're dull and lack character. On top of that, they don't have great flow of traffic. It's mostly "huge map with tons of rooms and everywhere connects to everywhere!" which is frustrating because no matter where you are you can get shot from 360 degrees (and you will). It's also a bit difficult to understand where you are as everything looks the same and there rarely seems to be a clear layout or method to the madness.

I've never gotten killed so much running on a map by people all over the fucking place hiding in some bullshit window or behind some rocks. I don't think these maps are very balanced or thought out. I've been having fun online but for all the hype, promise and previews I still think IW's got it.
Maybe we're just not used to it. It was the same when I first played MW and MW2.

I like the variety in Black Ops so far.

Belfast said:
Mostly shit, IMO. A few were guilty pleasures, but it was rare -- when my friends and I were playing together -- that any of us would actually be happy about the next map in the rotation.

Best maps in mw2 were the maps from mw1.:D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ColeTheMole said:
Wheres my pc screens ppl cmon!

YC8d4.png

Arozay

Playing on Veteran is horrible, half the time you get binked out of nowhere and you're always fighting the AI squad for the only cover spots in a shootout. Glad to see nothing has changed with singleplayer.

Story is fucking badass so far, love this time period its perfect for a fps game with so much shit happening the world on the tip of wiping out the human race.:lol

Zaro said:
Playing on Veteran is horrible, half the time you get binked out of nowhere and you're always fighting the AI squad for the only cover spots in a shootout. Glad to see nothing has changed with singleplayer.

I never play cod games on that, hardend gives me a nice challenge without feeling super fucking cheap.

corkscrewblow said:
Recoil is barely there with the grip, without it's got a decent amount of recoil for medium/long range. I'm gonna play a couple more games with the grip but I think I prefer the silencer on it.
Yeah, I started to use silencers on my guns in MW2 for a while. Mostly for stealth, but I just like the way it makes the weapons sound.xD

X26 said:
I love the M14 <3
This, and the FAL are the assault rifles I'm dieing to try out.

Told myself i wouldn't be picking this up, but Tesco have a decent deal. £42 for the game and 2100 MS Points. Plus I have £20 worth of vouchers, so I'll get the deal for a reaonable £22.

.nimrod

FeD.nL said:
Framerate is all over the place in mp on my ps3. Played 3 matches so far with summit being the absolute worst.
Haven't gotten my copy yet, but What.The.Fuck.

Is it bad on certain maps or is it always all over the place? o_O

G_Berry

Banned
Just finished an almost 24 hour marathon session of black ops on 360. (stopping to eat and use the can)

Picked it up from EB midnight last night (Aus) was playing by 1230 am and have finally turned off the xbox at 900pm.

I have not slept!!

Impressions....

Excellent, Treyarch improved over MW2 in every way. The guns, the maps, the "feel" it just works so well.

The main problem I have had so far is with American players lagging out our Aussie hosted lobbies, for some reason if a yank is in there the whole game just feels heavier, less responsive yet they seem to be able to run around owning fools?! It's infuriating.

There are more things but I need to sleep on this massive entertainment dump my brain has taken. Zzzzzzzz

G_Berry

Banned
jonnybryce said:
Not at all. They're dull and lack character. On top of that, they don't have great flow of traffic. It's mostly "huge map with tons of rooms and everywhere connects to everywhere!" which is frustrating because no matter where you are you can get shot from 360 degrees (and you will). It's also a bit difficult to understand where you are as everything looks the same and there rarely seems to be a clear layout or method to the madness.

I've never gotten killed so much running on a map by people all over the fucking place hiding in some bullshit window or behind some rocks. I don't think these maps are very balanced or thought out. I've been having fun online but for all the hype, promise and previews I still think IW's got it.

Not one of the MANY friends I played with over the past 24 hours would agree with you that MW2 maps are better. Are you high?

Mush said:
WTF? Treyarch didn't include the New Zealand flag in the Playercard selection? But they included Ethiopia? A fucking outrage that is! :(

lastplayed said:
They've got KENYA in the playercard flags but not New Zealand???? Fuck you Treyarch. :mad:

:lol

It was in MW2, why the hell did they leave it out?

AcciDante

The knifing having almost no lunge (which I love btw) is messing me up so bad :lol I had that shit down in COD4, and now I keep knifing at bad times.

Kyoufu

I'll suck the mail man's dick if he brings my game today. I need this in my veins. IN MY VEINS!

edit: he didnt want me to suck anything as he had no black ops. :(

First impressions from the pc version:

+ A LOT OF options (DUH stuff for a pc game but just saying)
+ alt + tab and Windows + D work in the menu's (need to check it out for ingame)

going to play against bots now to check out the game sens and setting to get a good grib before I play online later.

Any questions about the pc version people can ask and I'll try to answer it here.

Full Recovery said:
Not seeing the local search only function for PS3, unless I'm overlooking it.

Should be select button, there's a "party privacy/search preferences" menu at the bottom of the find match screen.

Christ they have went all out on the online side of it, its like halo with all the screen shots vids etc infact the stat tracking is even better on the console itself then halo is.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
supermackem said:
Christ they have went all out on the online side of it, its like halo with all the screen shots vids etc infact the stat tracking is even better on the console itself then halo is.

can you see your friend's gameplay status in the main menu like in Reach?

that would be pretty awesome, especially in the ghetto PS3 version

tomedo

The Dutch Slayer said:
Any questions about the pc version people can ask and I'll try to answer it here.

Are you experiencing weird lag or framerate drops like people are complaining on Steam forums?

Lince

Banned
so got to try the PS3 version at my friend's and...

-framerate is all over the place, it runs much much worse than MW2, even multiplayer

-lots of texture and geometry LOD "in your face" issues, again much worse than MW2, the aggressive streaming is going to kill some BR drives in the long run, there should be an option to install the game on the HDD for the PS3 version.

-aliasing

-lighting (edit: see the the lens of truth comparison below)

-lag, even with full green connection

-laughable spawns, but that has been already been discussed

-the game plays 99% like every other CoD... which for most people doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing

Played the first 2 missions of the campaign on Veteran. Holy fuck. What a pile of shit. :lol It's like they literally took NOTHING from MW2's faults and even made some aspects of the gameplay worse. The friendly AI is not only incompetent, but seems to be completely unaware of their surroundings at times. They advance forward but often completely ignore enemies shooting at them from the sides. This has led to a few moments of me thinking "oh okay they've cleared the area since they're all the way at the end waiting for me", taking a few steps and being gunned down by a bunch of enemies to the sides. Fucking awesome job at clearing the advance, guys! Oh, and the checkpoints are garbage as usual.

Fortunately, the multiplayer side of the game is pretty good so far. I've got a few complaints though:
- there seems to be some more lag than I'm accustomed to. Doubt it's my connection
- I've run into a few annoying glitches. Getting Last Stand on many objects that your legs collide with cause you to be unable to move, grenades can sometimes roll through barricades (learned that the hard way), etc...
- Spawns suck balls. Whoever was saying before the game came out that the enemies sometimes spawn behind you was dead on. Awful... and I thought MoH was bad. :lol
- Camping. I played my first One In the Chamber and it was ruined by a camper. He did not move at all during the round and didn't die once. I don't even feel like trying the game mode out anymore cuz I have a feeling most people are going to be doing that shit. Fucking lame.

But aside from these shortcomings, overall I'm enjoying it more than I did MW2 for sure.

the graphics aren't as good as MW2 but I feel like the game play is much better and its not a cluster mess like MW2 was :lol the also game feels a lot like CoD4 in a way as well

corkscrewblow said:
Alright the AK74u is an absolute beast. I found my UMP replacement.
Yes it is, once I unlocked it and tried it, it's become my main setup weapon with grip and red dot, it's a beast but it does suffer at full range a bit, gun is also good on the tighter maps with grip and fire rate.

ch0mp

The Dutch Slayer said:
ok now I have a pc question.

the mp_cfg

WHY does it look like this?????

instead of the cs way.

And I can't seem to bind the numberpad can someone help?

Have you tried opening it with wordpad?

Dina

The Dutch Slayer said:

the mp_cfg

2v3r3hh.jpg

instead of the cs way.
fdtw83.jpg

Open it with wordpad, of download notepad ++. It's an awesome free tool made with editing configs in mind.

Bradach

i've noticed some slight framerate issues on MP PS3 also. I was surprised to see it runs in 1080p as MW2 was only 720p... maybe these two points are related...

The Dutch Slayer said:

the mp_cfg

2v3r3hh.jpg

instead of the cs way.
fdtw83.jpg

Probably because it is using UNIX linebreaks rather than DOS/Windows linebreaks for some reason. Use NotePad2 or some other Notepad replacement that can actually handle them correctly.

gogogow

supermackem said:
Anyone find the ps3 version very light, in the settings the top bar was visable at all times even when the dial was all the way down. If anyones up for some today on ps3 i should be on most of the day in the uk MadMackemUK.

You are absolutely right, Treyarch totally fucked up the lighting/brightness/IQ. Just saw some comparisons between the PS3/360 versions. It's not something you can fix with the brightness option/slider, it needs to be fixed with a patch. The shadows are too bright. On the 360 the shadows are black in some scenes, on the PS3 they are almost the same colour as the skin of the character. It's like there's some kind of filter on the PS3 version. Some shadows looks alright though/not too bright, definitely some kind of bug.

Low res textures and a shitty filter doesn't help the PS3 version.

I made some gifs, pics taken from lens of truth

gjks4.gif

3J9Vx.gif

Top Bottom