• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Gary Whitta said:
At the end of the day, superior graphics + superior control + dedicated servers + the true spiritual home of the FPS game = PC, no question.

Having said that, it kinda sucks that the 360 version is considered the "sexy" one. I might pick it up too just to check it out but I did that with MW2 also and I had to toss it because as a mouse player I just can't get used to those gimped controls.

You might want to hold off on that superior graphics idea as people are reporting unplayable amount of stuttering on the PC versions.
Superior controls? I doubt the any half way decent player would get more kills or have a huge tactical advantage on a K/M combo over a controller.

As for dedicated servers, well I'd say the rampant & unavoidable cheating on PC that kills competitive play counters it.

Teknoman

FTWer said:
You might want to hold off on that superior graphics idea as people are reporting unplayable amount of stuttering on the PC versions.
Superior controls? I doubt the any half way decent player would get more kills or have a huge tactical advantage on a K/M combo over a controller.

I dunno, at a certain point, it seems like Arcade sticks vs controllers for fighting games.

FTWer said:

As for dedicated servers, well I'd say the rampant & unavoidable cheating on PC that kills competitive play counters it.
All of these arguments are terrible and I could easily STRAIGHT UP BEASTIFY all of them, but I'm not going to derail this thread into a PC-vs-console flame war.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
well, it looks great. but, the skipping is unbearable. I am going to have to wait for the inevitable patch..

Kyoufu

Gary Whitta said:
Still says "PRE-LOAD" on mine.

European Steam client gets it sooner? Weird.

gI3Pm.jpg

I've been sort of interested in the game, been three long years since 4 and I gots the itch, and now that I've seen it has a CS-style gungame mode I think I might take the plunge :D

Weenerz

Banned
Seeing people saying to restart steam to play now. Try that.

Also, anyone had any luck tweaking this so we don't lag all over the place? Pretty bad atm.

Gary Whitta said:
All of these arguments are terrible and I could easily STRAIGHT UP BEASTIFY all of them, but I'm not going to derail this thread into a PC-vs-console flame war.

I was hoping someone would pour water on that kind of talk, ive always thought your an auzzie gary or are you a fellow brit. Still have your movie in shrink wrap must watch it soon was a killa price on play.com.

hamchan

Game already came out in Australia 16 hours ago but supposedly multiplayer on the PC is unplayable due to crippling lag. Lame.

So this comes out today, and there's only 1 (ONE) review out on metacritic. And even that is coming from some obscure website i have never heard of and whose opinion is barely good enough for me to wipe my ass with? Sure it's been brought up, but this isn't smelling good.

Edit: to clarify, game quality isn't smelling good. My ass smells fantastic, thank you very much.

hamchan

Fistwell said:
So this comes out today, and there's only 1 (ONE) review out on metacritic. And even that is coming from some obscure website i have never heard of and whose opinion is barely good enough for me to wipe my ass with? Sure it's been brought up, but this isn't smelling good.

Pretty common to have embargoes right up to the release date.

I don't understand the point of such a strict launch-day review embargo myself. We've seen this twice in one week now with two massive releases, Kinect and Black Ops. What purpose does it serve?

Fistwell said:

No. Most reviews have to wait until 12am PST. Give it 45 minutes. Also if you check a few posts ago, someone posted a link to a review where it was given 4.5 out of 5.

hamchan said:
Pretty common to have embargoes right up to the release date.
Yeah, for games whose publisher are afraid shitty reviews will hurt sales, that's pretty much the norm. Which is exactly what i'm talking about. And, again, to clarify, i dont think this game should need that kind of tactics. But this is puzzling.

mcrae

can someone explain to me how the online system works for pc? are the servers customizable like in counter strike (last pc fps i played lol)? how does leveling work? is it the same across any server? do people have control over their servers to change maps and such?

cant decide if i want this for ps3 or maybe pc

Fistwell said:
Yeah, for games whose publisher are afraid shitty reviews will hurt sales, that's pretty much the norm. Which is exactly what i'm talking about.

Sorry man but you're wrong in this case. The people I have spoken to are loving this game and the couple of reviews I have seen concur.

Atilac

Gary Whitta said:
I don't understand the point of such a strict launch-day review embargo myself. We've seen this twice in one week now with two massive releases, Kinect and Black Ops. What purpose does it serve?
Let me reintroduce you: rider meet horse, horse meet rider....

Gary Whitta said:

I can understand with cod and say gta they dont need reviews to sell like crazy. The kinect had me worried they were hiding something, but given the positive hands on i guess they were just playing it safe. I guess its to limit any damage a negative review might have on sales.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I told myself I wasn't going to buy this. Even though I loved MW2 and put a shitload of time into it, I told myself that I didn't need a new COD game every year and would skip this one (or at least hold off on it for now). I told myself that I have too many other games to play, and that if I bought this, I'd basically be throwing money down the drain since all my other games would remain neglected...

Fuuuuuck, just ordered it. The hype got to me, and the $20 Amazon promotion was too good to pass up. Well, at least I have a few days to complete Vanquish before it gets here. :|

vatstep said:
I told myself I wasn't going to buy this. Even though I loved MW2 and put a shitload of time into it, I told myself that I didn't need a new COD game every year and would skip this one (or at least hold off on it for now). I told myself that I have too many other games to play, and that if I bought this, I'd basically be throwing money down the drain since all my other games would remain neglected...

Fuuuuuck, just ordered it. The hype got to me, and the $20 Amazon promotion was too good to pass up. Well, at least I have a few days to complete Vanquish before it gets here. :|

You need it mannnnnnn, hahaha i tell myself that every year with fifa but you know what i get £40 of enjoyment out of it with ease same with cod games.

Given that this is also looking like a huge hit, my prediction is that you will start seeing more than one CoD-branded game per year on a regular basis going forward. Activision won't be able to help themselves, they will Guitar Hero this IP right into the fucking ground.

Atilac

Gary Whitta said:
Given that this is also looking like a huge hit, my prediction is that you will start seeing more than one CoD-branded game per year on a regular basis going forward. Activision won't be able to help themselves, they will Guitar Hero this IP right into the fucking ground.
Kotick is just fulfilling his promise to fully exploit IPs.

Gary Whitta said:

Yeah that one of my worries, they have a good thing going atm if they get greedy and as you say guitar hero this shite or try a charge for online play they will see just how fickle gaming fans are when they all fuck off over to another cod style free online mp game.

Massa

Gary Whitta said:

For this game I'd say it's to get people to impulse buy it as the positive reviews start flooding in. For Kinect I think Microsoft was afraid that reviews could hurt their hype machine (they even had a "reviewers won't get Kinect!" comment a few days before release).

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Gary Whitta said:
Given that this is also looking like a huge hit, my prediction is that you will start seeing more than one CoD-branded game per year on a regular basis going forward.

Aren't we already?

bathala said:
USA News have their review, but the first few paragraphs....

"Let us describe in detail how Activision bought this high score so other publishers may follow suit."

hamchan

Gary Whitta said:
Depends if this new CoD game will have noticeably different gameplay or not. I think a 3rd person and 1st person CoD can coexist without ruining the IP.

Rikyfree

Gary Whitta said:
You rang?
28ilq3p.jpg

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Delightful Oonsk said:
LovingSteam's stream looks fine. Wonder what's goin on =(

I tried turning textures down. I really am not in the mood to go through every combination of settings to find out what doesn't make me lag. It is very, very annoying though. And tbh, quite unacceptable. I expect it to be patched tomorrow afternoon by the latest.

Karram

Gary Whitta said:
Well as long as they maintain the quality of the COD games I have no problem with a new COD game every year. Also a new Guitar Hero game was released almost every 6 month and they weren't so great quality wise, unlike the COD games.

Top Bottom