• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Spruchy said:
Not feeling this game at all, the weapons feel like peashooters.

Hmm I felt the same way about WaW, I really hope they havent also made huge maps. That was my biggest issue with WaW, the maps were big and the guns were weak, that combination just doesnt work.

I should have my copy in a few hours, but based on opinions im kinda not looking forward to it. :lol For the price I got it for though its worth a gamble.

MMaRsu

supermackem said:
Now im not one for calling out scores and an 8 seems fucking great but i neve rlike when some games get marked down or called out on not being original and others dont. I mean was mw2 much different to mw1, was halo reach so different to halo 3 not really but i cant remeber them being marked down for it. Who cares 8 is a cracking score but its something that ive seen used alot of late which alot of reviewers seem to forget about with other titles.

Halo Reach is certainly different in a lot of ways to Halo 3. And it's held up to a different standard because there's not a new title every year like CoD. Thats why it's held up to that standard.

those lensoftruth ps3/360 pics look like the brightness needs to be adjusted on the ps3 version.

I had to HEAVILY modify my brightness settings to align with their recommened settings when you first start the game.

I not only had to lower the in-game brightness all the way but lower the brightness on my TV from +22 to -7.

NHale

Played the first 8 missions (I think there are 14?) and so far I'm enjoying it a lot more than MW2. This game actually has a story that makes sense and I feel actually interested in seeing how it will unfold.

However the game was flaws: Infinite enemy spawns are back and "better" than ever, AI scripting is very noticeable (it's funny how reviewers don't mentioned it after killing MOH because of this) and terrible checkpoints. Didn't noticed framerate drops so far (PS3).

StaSeb

This awesome guy that unboxed Fallout: New Vegas strikes again. Lookie here!

He even shaved a cool camouflage-pattern in his chest hair. And once again he amuses us with some awesome sentences. "Its a good thing I am a man of above average strength!"

Enjoy!

DoomGyver

MikeE21286 said:
those lensoftruth ps3/360 pics look like the brightness needs to be adjusted on the ps3 version.

I had to HEAVILY modify my brightness settings to align with their recommened settings when you first start the game.

I not only had to lower the in-game brightness but lower the brightness on my TV from +22 to -7.
It's the game not my TV. My brightness settings are perfect for 90% of games, black ops doesn't even come close, treyarch done fucked up.

gogogow

MikeE21286 said:

I not only had to lower the in-game brightness but lower the brightness on my TV from +22 to -7.
I'm pretty sure they are on default settings. So the PS3 version is definitely off. I applied -30 brighness in photoshop and the shadows won't look the same as the 360 version, still too bright and environment is pitch black.
And you said you needed to HEAVILY modify the brightness, that means something is wrong with the brightness of the game. In not a single game did I have to modify the brightness that much, maybe -1 or +1 and if you even had to modify the TV brightness to -7, then you know somethings wrong.

marathonfool said:
The brightness setting looks off for both the 360 and PS3. Crushed blacks and light shadows.
just played the ps3 version. Be glad the blacks aren't crushed.. now you can see enemies.
It's true the shadows are a tad bright, but better than crushed shadows... There is always a more contrast setting on your tv outside of Natural or cinematic.

So far so good. I only played two levels on veteran so far (have to work goddammit), and sometimes you get the veteran style "where the fuck did i get killed from 5 times in a row", but i always think veteran mode is the most rewarding.

Jb

NHale said:
Played the first 8 missions (I think there are 14?) and so far I'm enjoying it a lot more than MW2. This game actually has a story that makes sense and I feel actually interested in seeing how it will unfold.

However the game was flaws: Infinite enemy spawns are back and "better" than ever, AI scripting is very noticeable (it's funny how reviewers don't mentioned it after killing MOH because of this) and terrible checkpoints. Didn't noticed framerate drops so far (PS3).
Jeff from giantbomb sort of does in his review.

Manp

DenogginizerOS said:
How bad is the BR disc streaming on the PS3?
in mp i keep hearing the drive seeking... almost constantly (3 months old slim btw)
i'm not sure that's a good thing :|

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what's the lowdown of these pc-performance issues? I'm installing the game atm but I would like to know that I wont bump into issues that are unique to me :[

snap0212

About the PS3 Version:
Before I went to bed I was so sure that Treyarch would do a great job on both versions of the game. Played about an hour of the PS3 version (uncut 360 version is on its way) online and at first I thought the framerate was bad, because I had a bad connection. That wasn't the case. Everything is fine with my connection, but there's something seriously wrong with this game. The frame rate was all over the place and nowhere near consistent.

I don't have any problems with the brightness, but the frame rate (+lag) makes the online gaming no fun for me. Seriously, something went horribly wrong here. :(

jorma

is now taking requests
StaSeb said:
This awesome guy that unboxed Fallout: New Vegas strikes again. Lookie here!

He even shaved a cool camouflage-pattern in his chest hair. And once again he amuses us with some awesome sentences. "Its a good thing I am a man of above average strength!"

Enjoy!

:lol
"And this medal of honor, really cool. I might give it to my dad, because he was in vietnam and i think he would really treasure it"

Kyoufu

snap0212 said:
About the PS3 Version:
Before I went to bed I was so sure that Treyarch would do a great job on both versions of the game. Played about an hour of the PS3 version (uncut 360 version is on its way) online and at first I thought the framerate was bad, because I had a bad connection. That wasn't the case. Everything is fine with my connection, but there's something seriously wrong with this game. The frame rate was all over the place and nowhere near consistent.

I don't have any problems with the brightness, but the frame rate (+lag) makes the online gaming no fun for me. Seriously, something went horribly wrong here. :(

It'll get patched no doubt. They said they'll support the game after release.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've only played the campaign for an hour or two but so far I think both MW2 and Medal of Honor had better singleplayer campaigns.

On playing again the campaign i can´t avoid to think how great this game would be with "Fear" or "half life" enemy ai style. Enemies are dumb and this becomes it a gallery shooter. Above all the levels with many enemies are the most frustrating ( Vietnam ) in which I wish an operation flashpoint battle approach style... without everybody getting out from the same place in the same time and in a infinite spawning way.

About graphics, all reviews state that it is a WAW improved engine, but don´t they use the same engine that MW2 with its texture streaming?. Its true that although lighting is better thant in other CODs textures are worse and in multiplayer even worse with frame rate shuttering and constant disc spinning ( PS3 version ).

Plasma

Banned
Just got my copy through the mail, thought I would just read through the manual while I wait for it to install it's only 12 pages long and 3 of them are notes.

When did manuals get this small? :lol

DoomGyver

Host quit right before the game winning killcam, went to host migration and froze at the 14 second mark. PS3 hard lock. Fuu

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
does the pc-version support 360-pad? Don't have an ergonomically setup m&kb atm so I'll have to slog through the campaign with a pad.

Erasus

PC version is so broken its not even funny. CPU goes to 100%, Black Ops takes about 60-80%. At 15-20 fps at 800x600 all on low. MW2 and WaW runs fine. CPU is Athlon X2 7750 2.7GHZ. GPU is ati 4830.

How did they mess up the Q3 engine this much? :lol

ch0mp said:
More importantly, how are the grenades? WaW on veteran was insane.
So far it hasen't been that chaotic with grenades actually. Haven't been killed by one yet.
But i'm sure there will be areas where there will be more of them.

Aigis said:
The talk about the PS3 versions framerate is disappointing :( Anyone else have impressions of the PS3 version?
I think they were talking about online. Which sucks too..cause that's where we'll spend most of our time i guess... But in the single player things run pretty smooth thus far.

Mik2121

Man, can't really tell the drama queens from people with real issues on the PS3.

I mean, I've watched a few videos from people playing on the PS3 and they all looked just fine, but now there's some people talking about framerate drops and whatnot..

But then again, it seems like some people also had framerate issues with MW2 when I never had any... :S

Hopefully someone can come by with actual real technical stats about the PS3 and see if there's actually frame drops or what.. :/

Edit - Either way, I'm getting this game next week (release date here in Japan is the 18th, fuck...), so maybe by then they've released a patch that fixes some stuff. I believe the first days of MW2 were also full of certain bugs that got fixed later on.

chapel

Banned
Anyone on 360 want to team up. Would like to have a few people to roll with, kind of lonely running around with randoms.

itsgreen

Is there a known bug for not saving progress in MP?

Im 100% sure I upgraded to Hardline pro last night, and now I realize it's gone?

In the multi there are frame rate issues in the maps with more intensive vertex data: jungle map above all, and generally maps with trees and vegetation. Anyway the textures streaming engine seems different from that in MW2 as textures in some places as rocks are really poor...

Anyway i am enjoying the multi as much as the MW1 one. Famas with red dot is the same as M4 with red dot. Same sound and all. Maps like Crysis, Hanoi and Havana are reminiscent of some of the COD4 maps also...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm on my phone and can't really search for the articles, but I SWEAR that MW2 also suffered from the brightness issue (with the PS3 version looking all washed out). Seems like something they missed. :|

What's this about the PS3 version's Blu-Ray streaming being too aggressive on the console, and possibly causing YLOD? Is that a possibility? Will Slims be alright?

zaidr

Revolutionary said:
Played the first 2 missions of the campaign on Veteran. Holy fuck. What a pile of shit. :lol It's like they literally took NOTHING from MW2's faults and even made some aspects of the gameplay worse. The friendly AI is not only incompetent, but seems to be completely unaware of their surroundings at times. They advance forward but often completely ignore enemies shooting at them from the sides. This has led to a few moments of me thinking "oh okay they've cleared the area since they're all the way at the end waiting for me", taking a few steps and being gunned down by a bunch of enemies to the sides. Fucking awesome job at clearing the advance, guys! Oh, and the checkpoints are garbage as usual.

Fortunately, the multiplayer side of the game is pretty good so far. I've got a few complaints though:
- there seems to be some more lag than I'm accustomed to. Doubt it's my connection
- I've run into a few annoying glitches. Getting Last Stand on many objects that your legs collide with cause you to be unable to move, grenades can sometimes roll through barricades (learned that the hard way), etc...
- Spawns suck balls. Whoever was saying before the game came out that the enemies sometimes spawn behind you was dead on. Awful... and I thought MoH was bad. :lol
- Camping. I played my first One In the Chamber and it was ruined by a camper. He did not move at all during the round and didn't die once. I don't even feel like trying the game mode out anymore cuz I have a feeling most people are going to be doing that shit. Fucking lame.

But aside from these shortcomings, overall I'm enjoying it more than I did MW2 for sure.

That all sounds really bad. But then, you are enjoying it more than MW2? Is it the maps? Guns feel better? Obviously its not SP cause you say it adds more problems than MW2 had. So what is better about it?

IceMarker

itsgreen said:
Is there a known bug for not saving progress in MP?

Im 100% sure I upgraded to Hardline pro last night, and now I realize it's gone?
they might have reset servers for launch or something

DSN2K

first few games online...guns feel weak, graphics are certain nothing special at all, more time required perhaps.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
vatstep said:
I'm on my phone and can't really search for the articles, but I SWEAR that MW2 also suffered from the brightness issue (with the PS3 version looking all washed out). Seems like something they missed. :|

DF said:
Bottom line: if you're an Xbox 360 owner, you should be making the image brighter, and if you're playing on PS3, it's really a massively good idea to lower the brightness level significantly, otherwise the lighting - one of the really impressive things in this game - simply won't look as good as it should. Many people online are discussing the PS3's washed-out image, or talking about a "grey filter". In truth, there's nothing wrong with it. It's simply a case of tweaking your settings.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-modern-warfare-2-face-off

Top Bottom