• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

f0rk

Played the first 2 levels. Not very impressed so far, the number of guys with Russian names and no character is annoying.

bud

playing the ps3 version and to say the mp's not a smooth experience is the understatement of the year

uggghhh

bud said:
playing the ps3 version and to say the mp's not a smooth experience is the understatement of the year

uggghhh
fuck.. haven't played online yet, but this is fucked up. I wanted to know stuff like this up front. You basicly buy this game to play a lot of online.

U2NUMB

Played till 3 am on the 360 with a bunch of friends... really enjoyed it. I like how MP is much slower than MW2 with not a ton of crap happening in the sky above you. Focus is back on gunplay and my group really enjoyed that.

At about 2am central we noticed 780k people online, after that it dropped as people must have passed out.

Oddly the only thing I dont like so far is the main menu screen... just seems cheesy. But small complaint.

Hanmik

bud said:

uggghhh

please tell more..? I have my copy right here.. cannot play for another 10 hours.. but i want some solid info on the MP for the PS3 version..

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I went for the PS3 version so I could play with PS3/GAF friends who I have played Resistance/Killzone 2 with. I really hope these slowdown issues are lag/launch day related and are not framerate issues.

DenogginizerOS

bud said:
it's choppy
If you go into an empty MP map (or near empty), are you seeing a choppy framerate? or are you referring to lag? Is it easily reproducible?

Also, what model PS3 are you using?

FeD.nL

Hanmik said:
please tell more..? I have my copy right here.. cannot play for another 10 hours.. but i want some solid info on the MP for the PS3 version..

I'm level 19 atm, played on most of the maps and only launch and nuketown were without framerate issues for me. Most of the maps have really bad issues with the framerate. Summit is the absolute worst so far. It's not that the game becomes unplayable its just very noticeable and annoying. I think they should give us the option to install, because i hear my disc streaming whole the time.

So far it seem to me that the issues are not lag related. Have been host a couple of time including the match on summit where the framerate was just all over the place. It becomes really noticeable when you are looking in the distance, havana for example when you look down the road. Launch so far has been my best experience with close to zero slowdowns.

bud

DenogginizerOS said:
If you go into an empty MP map (or near empty), are you seeing a choppy framerate? or are you referring to lag? Is it easily reproducible?

i have a slim. it's very noticable when it starts the count down right before a game.

i think it's lag because the last couple of games were definitely smoother.

and most of the maps i've played so far are too big for 6 vs. 6 games...

edit: i'm a noob. i think it's the framerate.

DenogginizerOS

FeD.nL said:
I'm level 19 atm, played on most of the maps and only launch and nuketown were without framerate issues for me. Most of the maps have really bad issues with the framerate. Summit is the absolute worst so far. It's not that the game becomes unplayable its just very noticeable and annoying. I think they should give us the option to install, because i hear my disc streaming whole the time.
Crap. Well, I may end up using Amazon's return/exchange program for the first time. Or not. This may just be an instance of me biting the bullet and trying the PS3 version and hoping it gets better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DSN2K said:
yes it does and works quite well.
Really?! I'm shocked, actually. Each and every CoD installment has seen release on the PC and they have ALWAYS managed to exclude gamepad support. I'm genuinely shocked that it made it in.

DenogginizerOS

dark10x said:
Really?! I'm shocked, actually. Each and every CoD installment has seen release on the PC and they have ALWAYS managed to exclude gamepad support. I'm genuinely shocked that it made it in.
I am, too. Once the PC version gets sorted out, I may pick it up.

Really digging it on PC. The MP is so much better than the silly clusterfuck that was MW2, it feels more like MW1 with it's focus on direct gunplay.

The SP is also much more interesting I find, it's not as eye rolling over the top as MW2's story. This might redeem COD for a while for me at least.

Mik2121

Full Recovery said:
According to the PS3 leaderboards I have 14283 kills and 9685 deaths already.
In Multiplayer?

1zpifyx.gif

How do you feel about the lag / framerate issues?

DoomGyver

It's a glitch people, if I had to guess I would say I have maybe 300-500 kills. (level 23)

Mik2121 said:
How do you feel about the lag / framerate issues?
When it lags it lags, and it gets choppy. The framerate is iffy on some maps.

Hanmik

FeD.nL said:

So far it seem to me that the issues are not lag related. Have been host a couple of time including the match on summit where the framerate was just all over the place. It becomes really noticeable when you are looking in the distance, havana for example when you look down the road. Launch so far has been my best experience with close to zero slowdowns.

i feel really sad..

Lince

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

what has the model got to do with performance? ?

I would ask "how old" is your BR unit instead, since the PS3 version is stressing the drive constantly swapping in and out texture data from the disc to the RAM. If your drive is already old or worn out from playing MW2 (which happened to do the same albeit less noticeably) chances are you'll notice more frame skips and general choppiness when the streaming engine misses some data due to the drive not being fast or accurate enough. Anyway, an install option for MP maps would be ideal.

In my opinion is a matter of poor optimization code since almost everyone reporting framerate issues. I guess the Cell SPUs are just sitting there doing nothing.

Miggytronz

Im happy i didnt buy this game. Its possibly going on my x-mas list but if all the crap ive been reading about doesnt get fixed then im not requesting it for x-mas.

DenogginizerOS

Full Recovery said:
It's a glitch people, if I had to guess I would say I have maybe 300-500 kills. (level 23)

When it lags it lags, and it gets choppy. The framerate is iffy on some maps.
Are you using the local search feature to find your MP maps?

gillFTR

Usually I go 360 for MP games, but I was planning to go ps3 for blackops...now I gotta double dip for both due to framerate issues

JimmyBoy

I'm really interested in multiplayer impressions if anyone would be so kind.

Can't play until 6PM EST
Being a grownup sucks. :-(
Need to live vicariously.

FTWer said:
You might want to hold off on that superior graphics idea as people are reporting unplayable amount of stuttering on the PC versions.
Superior controls? I doubt the any half way decent player would get more kills or have a huge tactical advantage on a K/M combo over a controller.

As for dedicated servers, well I'd say the rampant & unavoidable cheating on PC that kills competitive play counters it.

:lol :lol

You never give up do you?

360 version has slowdown on the snow map Array, you need to look in the right dicrection and it will happen nearly every time, also napalm strikes near the water on one of the jungle maps will cause the framerate to drop to 30 if you stare at the direction of the strike, while and after it's bombed.

Had a few random framerate drops on other maps but I am going to say that's from 18 players all blowing each other up with rc's :lol

DSN2K

PC version....

I'm getting frame rates in the range 80-120fps, that's on 5770/tri core Athlon with everything on high, 2xAA at 1080p Resolution, game looks as good as its gonna get, I could easily up the AA and frame rate would still be 60+

The lag is pissing me off mind, but Xbox Pad works exactly like it would on the 360, I'm also surprisingly competitive with a pad compared to what I suspect most is using a K/M. One issue is you cant seem to control the menu's with the pad so keep the mouse near you.

oneHeero

A couple of friends and I grabbed the ps3 version last night. Played til 3am. Party system sucked, had problems like back on COD when you had to find someone to host the party that everyone could connect to. I saw some lag, but as I played it went away. I think its just launch day lag, tons of people bought ps3 version at walmart last night :\ I havent seen any framerate issues but i aint the best guy to judge that. I do know what lag is and played several maps multiple times and never noticed the same hiccups.

Game was awesome. Cant wait to play more when I get out, got to level 14 I think.

DenogginizerOS

oneHeero said:
A couple of friends and I grabbed the ps3 version last night. Played til 3am. Party system sucked, had problems like back on COD when you had to find someone to host the party that everyone could connect to. I saw some lag, but as I played it went away. I think its just launch day lag, tons of people bought ps3 version at walmart last night :\ I havent seen any framerate issues but i aint the best guy to judge that. I do know what lag is and played several maps multiple times and never noticed the same hiccups.

Game was awesome. Cant wait to play more when I get out, got to level 14 I think.
Thanks for the impressions. Did you use the local search option when playing MP?

Lince said:
so got to try the PS3 version at my friend's and...

-framerate is all over the place, it runs much much worse than MW2, even multiplayer

I had a suspicion this might be the case. Not about the PS3 version specifically, just performance accross all three platforms in general and since the base performance on the PS3 was always worse, its going to be more of an issue there.

Hope DF put up some analysis soon.

DSN2K said:
PC version....

I'm getting frame rates in the range 80-120fps, that's on 5770/tri core Athlon with everything on high, 2xAA at 1080p Resolution, game looks as good as its gonna get, I could easily up the AA and frame rate would still be 60+

The lag is pissing me off mind, but Xbox Pad works exactly like it would on the 360, I'm also surprisingly competitive with a pad compared to what I suspect most is using a K/M. One issue is you cant seem to control the menu's with the pad so keep the mouse near you.

so they fixed the PC issues with stuttering due to heavy cpu usage?

bluehat9

For people that ordered from Amazon, does your email with promotional credit say:

"It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned 100 Pre-order Bonus Points. 200 Pre-order Bonus Points are worth a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of any item from the Amazon Video Games store shipped and sold by Amazon.com."

Just a typo? (since I can't find a way to check my credits on the site without buying something?)

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
Crap. Well, I may end up using Amazon's return/exchange program for the first time. Or not. This may just be an instance of me biting the bullet and trying the PS3 version and hoping it gets better.

I think I'm gonna go with 360 ..... probably going to hold off on my purchase for about a week. I have recently rediscovered the awesomness of COD 4 LOL.
edit: or wait for more impressions and not jump to conclusions!!!!

Mik2121

oneHeero said:

Eh.. if some people doesn't notice the framerate, I guess, while bad, it's not game breaking?.

If it's just slightly worse than MW2 I might not have problems, seeing how I barely noticed them. Then again I think I usually don't notice (or don't pay attention) to stuff like this unless it's a game I'm making myself (but then again those times I'm really looking for those issues on purpose).

NHale

Diablohead said:
360 version has slowdown on the snow map Array, you need to look in the right dicrection and it will happen nearly every time, also napalm strikes near the water on one of the jungle maps will cause the framerate to drop to 30 if you stare at the direction of the strike, while and after it's bombed.

Had a few random framerate drops on other maps but I am going to say that's from 18 players all blowing each other up with rc's :lol

So both PS3 and X360 suffer from framerate drops in MP? Does any review mention it?

bluehat9 said:
For people that ordered from Amazon, does your email with promotional credit say:

"It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned 100 Pre-order Bonus Points. 200 Pre-order Bonus Points are worth a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of any item from the Amazon Video Games store shipped and sold by Amazon.com."

Just a typo? (since I can't find a way to check my credits on the site without buying something?)

Funny, mine does say that as well. I didn't notice. I'm not too concerned. Amazon bends over backwards to take care of the customer.

Diablohead said:

So performance is worse no matter what version you play?

The PC performance isssues make more sense in this context, it could just be users with dual cores having issues (in fact I suspect it is).

Can people stop calling Black Ops a 60fps game on consoles now? It honestly never was, and its even further away from that goal now.

bluehat9 said:

Saw that too so I added a game to my cart and checked out to see if the $20 discount applied and it did.

Top Bottom