• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

DSN2K said:
PC version....

I'm getting frame rates in the range 80-120fps, that's on 5770/tri core Athlon with everything on high, 2xAA at 1080p Resolution, game looks as good as its gonna get, I could easily up the AA and frame rate would still be 60+
you.

Fantastic, so its either a bug or just the usual pre-launch paranoia or a combination thereof.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
bluehat9 said:
For people that ordered from Amazon, does your email with promotional credit say:

"It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned 100 Pre-order Bonus Points. 200 Pre-order Bonus Points are worth a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of any item from the Amazon Video Games store shipped and sold by Amazon.com."

Just a typo? (since I can't find a way to check my credits on the site without buying something?)

It is a typo. Put a game in your cart and it will tell you how much promotion is being applied without you having to buy anything. I put Goldeneye in my cart and at the "place your order screen it has a $20 promotion applied.

DMeisterJ

Banned
bluehat9 said:
For people that ordered from Amazon, does your email with promotional credit say:

"It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned 100 Pre-order Bonus Points. 200 Pre-order Bonus Points are worth a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of any item from the Amazon Video Games store shipped and sold by Amazon.com."

Just a typo? (since I can't find a way to check my credits on the site without buying something?)

God I hope so, I didn't look at the E-mail I got, but now that I did it says the same thing. Shall we E-mail?

brain_stew said:
So performance is worse no matter what version you play?

The PC performance isssues make more sense in this context, it could just be users with dual cores having issues (in fact I suspect it is).

Can people stop calling Black Ops a 60fps game on consoles now? It honestly never was, and its even further away from that goal now.

nah ppl with my config i7 920 + 5870 are also complaining about the same issues no matter what graphic settings they use. something is definately wrong.

Kabuki Waq said:
so they fixed the PC issues with stuttering due to heavy cpu usage?

Looks like the "fix" may be to just have more than two CPU cores. There's a reason I've been pushing people towards quads for several years now.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Another question about Amazon shipping. I checked my tracking number for Black Ops and it said this:

"Amazon.com requested package to be forwarded to a different address"

What the fuck does this mean? The destination still says my hometown though.

oneHeero

DenogginizerOS said:
Thanks for the impressions. Did you use the local search option when playing MP?
No, just the main option to play online.

Eh.. if some people doesn't notice the framerate, I guess, while bad, it's not game breaking?.

If it's just slightly worse than MW2 I might not have problems, seeing how I barely noticed them. Then again I think I usually don't notice (or don't pay attention) to stuff like this unless it's a game I'm making myself (but then again those times I'm really looking for those issues on purpose).

I play a ton of fps, its not game breaking in anyway. It'll be clearer in a week or so if it truely is launch lag. But I dont see a problem, I was playign like nothing and some maps never showed lag, ping was all over the place for ones that had framerate problems. I enjoyed it and had no problems outside early lag(bad/warp like) and than party invite problems.

Kabuki Waq said:
nah ppl with my config i7 920 + 5870 are also complaining about the same issues no matter what graphic settings they use. something is definately wrong.

Interesting that you mention the i7 actually. The game may be offloading a heavy thread to a hyper thread. So traditional quad and triple core users would be the only ones without an issue, that could easily be patched though. Could be the source of the bug.

backflip10019 said:
So excited about this, can't wait to pick it up after work.

So, the PS3 version is having issues. Anything wrong with the 360 version?

You better be getting the fucking 360 version. Straight dong time.

Willectro

Banned
Multiplayer is pretty decent. Zombies isn't as great as I had hoped for. Haven't played any of the single player yet. Not the best looking game on the 360 by far (No troll). I'm sure it looks awesome on a great PC. Got to put a lot more time into this to get a feel for the game over all. Seems like a lot of content though.

bluehat9

Fourman said:
Saw that too so I added a game to my cart and checked out to see if the $20 discount applied and it did.

thanks for checking.

Now just have to wait for it to get delivered, hopefully before class.

Tendo

I haven't been following this at all so excuse my stupid question, but what is the co-op like? Anything like spec-ops from mw2 or is it just co-op campaign? I loved spec-ops mode, I'd hate to see it go.

Mik2121 said:
Eh.. if some people doesn't notice the framerate, I guess, while bad, it's not game breaking?.

There were people that "didn't notice" the game breaking framerate in Castlevania as well. If there's multiple reports of framerate issues you can be assured that its worse than previous COD games. How much worse, you won't know until DF does their analysis.

You can be assured that the framerate will still be better than most console shooters, just don't expect it to stick around 60fps all the time.

DryvBy

So, I haven't had time to really read into all of the reviews yet. I ordered the PS3 version, and from the sounds of some of the complaints in here, PS3 version plays worst due to frame rates. Any actual numbers? I'm going to return this if they're screwing over PS3 users. I'm already disappointed to read that they didn't fix the sp at all. When is vet mode going to quit being a crapfest and just be a difficult but rewarding experience?

What's Gaf's overall framerate opinion on the PS3 version?

bluehat9 said:

If you add a game to your cart, and proceed to checkout (don't click purchase) you can see on the right the amount of tax and credits applied to the purchases, mine says $20 credit applied. My email said the same as yours, so its just a typo.

Edit: already beaten, oh well.

Erasus said:
Its using my CPU at 80% and GPU at like 30%! This is Bad Company 2 all over again. What the hell. Just straight 360 -> PC port. Needs high CPU but low RAM and low GPU, just like consoles.

http://imgur.com/GRIWH.jpg

This information is useless without specifying what CPU you have.

If you're still on a dual core CPU then it doesn't mean much.

Mik2121

brain_stew said:
There were people that "didn't notice" the game breaking framerate in Castlevania as well. If there's multiple reports of framerate issues you can be assured that its worse than previous COD games. How much worse, you won't know until DF does their analysis.
I guess so.

What's making my "angry" is that I actually have a 360 and a PS3, but I'm getting the game for the PS3 because all my friends here only have the PS3 (I live in Japan and you know just how popular the 360 is over here.. and if I wanted to play with friends from the US the lag would be pretty bad).

glaurung

supermackem said:
Cant see any difference bar lightness on the ps3 version.
What's up with Castro's (?) body detail around ~1:05? A bug or slow loading?

Otherwise exactly the same, turning down the brightness on PS3 two notches would make them identic.

But damn, so many spoilers.

DryvBy2 said:
So, I haven't had time to really read into all of the reviews yet. I ordered the PS3 version, and from the sounds of some of the complaints in here, PS3 version plays worst due to frame rates. Any actual numbers? I'm going to return this if they're screwing over PS3 users. I'm already disappointed to read that they didn't fix the sp at all. When is vet mode going to quit being a crapfest and just be a difficult but rewarding experience?

What's Gaf's overall framerate opinion on the PS3 version?

It seems its worse than the PS3 version of MW2, that's about all you're going to be able to get at this point. Fwiw, the 360 version seems to perform worse than MW2 on 360 as well but the PS3 always performed worse which is probably why people are noticing it more in that version.

Najaf

I love the snub-nose upgrade for the Python revolver. Apparently the shorter barrel makes it more accurate but have less damage. Get something backwards there Treyarch?

U2NUMB

Tendo said:
I haven't been following this at all so excuse my stupid question, but what is the co-op like? Anything like spec-ops from mw2 or is it just co-op campaign? I loved spec-ops mode, I'd hate to see it go.

No spec ops mode.. no co-op campaign mode.

We do have Nazi Zombies which is all co-op and a new very impressive Combat Training area where you and your friends can play MP matches against bots. It is very unique in that you level up just like online but it stays in Combat Training and a very neat aspect to this is the bots show up as friends off your very own friends list which really is a cool idea. But this mode is nearly endless and going to be a ton of fun for those who want to try tactics on maps and test out weapons so they do not waste their money earned in online MP.

Najaf said:
I love the snub-nose upgrade for the Python revolver. Apparently the shorter barrel makes it more accurate but have less damage. Get something backwards there Treyarch?

They also refer to mags as "clips" which is also wrong but whatever. :lol

zaidr

brain_stew said:
Well that explains it.

So I have a 8800gt and dual core pentium running at 2.9ghz. Should I not get this game for PC? Granted, MW2 works pretty well (in MP anyway) at my screen's native resolution of 1440x900. Thanks.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Reading of the apparently abysmal CPU requirements, is it safe to say a Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz, even with GTX 260 probably won't run this with any playability?

zaidr said:
So I have a 8800gt and dual core pentium running at 2.9ghz. Should I not get this game for PC? Granted, MW2 works pretty well (in MP anyway) at my screen's native resolution of 1440x900. Thanks.

At this current moment in time? No.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
brain_stew said:
Well that explains it.
If a dual core isn't enough to run the menu's at 800x600 then there is something majorly wrong. I can run BC2 at 720p with med/low settings on a 2Ghz C2D so there is no way this is a too low a spec issue unless they really messed up the port.
There are only 2 games that have been unplayable on a 2Ghz C2D so far - SR2 and GTA4 - there is no good reason for COD:BO to join that list.
Besides the intermittent stuttering sounds more like a throttling issue than a maxed out issue, where you would expect to see a consistently low framerate.

ACE 1991

It seems Black Ops is the multiplayer pinnacle of what Infinity Ward started in 2007 with Call of Duty 4. I really hope things shake up for the next iteration.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
It is almost like we need a seperate Black Ops performance thread.

I would like to read more about gameplay impressions, not all this technical speak.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I'm running a:

core i7 920 @ 2.67
GTX 460 1GB
6 Gb of ram

the game looks fantastic, however (and that's a big fucking however), the game skips at times. also, my mouse doesn't move as smoothly as it should (logitech g9x). Playing CS:S, the mouse is fine, but with Black Ops it is almost as if the mouse has to move along a grid and jumps too quickly.

poppabk said:
Looks like some Louisville Kentucky UPS guys had their own mini midnight launch.

Thats the same thing I thought...ugh. I hope it still gets here today but it doesnt look like it. :(

Exception
Your shipment is currently within the UPS network; however, an unforeseen event has occurred which could result in a change to the Scheduled Delivery Date.

What should I do?
This is the most up-to-date information about the status of your shipment. View Shipment Progress or Package Progress for specific details.

arrrgggg!

Top Bottom