• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

dskillzhtown said:
It is almost like we need a seperate Black Ops performance thread.

I would like to read more about gameplay impressions, not all this technical speak.
Agreed. As a console gamer, all the technical talk is really annoying me. I just want to hear impressions, etc.

zaidr

ACE 1991 said:
It seems Black Ops is the multiplayer pinnacle of what Infinity Ward started in 2007 with Call of Duty 4. I really hope things shake up for the next iteration.

I don't hold much hope for IW doing so, with the huge loss talent to Respawn Entertainment. Activision won't allow it. And really, I still want to see the ending for MW2's story. Theres still some meat on those bones.

But, that shake up I am expecting (and hoping for) from Respawn. Its just gonna be a while before it happens...

Dennis

Banned
brain_stew said:
Looks like the "fix" may be to just have more than two CPU cores. There's a reason I've been pushing people towards quads for several years now.
brain_stew said:
Interesting that you mention the i7 actually. The game may be offloading a heavy thread to a hyper thread. So traditional quad and triple core users would be the only ones without an issue, that could easily be patched though. Could be the source of the bug.

Seems a likely possibility.

brain_stew said:
the game breaking framerate in Castlevania
oh boy....

*sigh*

zaidr

h0pper said:
I'm running a:

core i7 920 @ 2.67
GTX 460 1GB
6 Gb of ram

the game looks fantastic, however (and that's a big fucking however), the game skips at times. also, my mouse doesn't move as smoothly as it should (logitech g9x). Playing CS:S, the mouse is fine, but with Black Ops it is almost as if the mouse has to move along a grid and jumps too quickly.

Please post some screens (SP preferably).

DSN2K

I can confirm at least from my PC that problems regarding stuttering is only the MP, zombie mode and the Single Player run perfectly.

brain_stew said:
So performance is worse no matter what version you play?

The PC performance isssues make more sense in this context, it could just be users with dual cores having issues (in fact I suspect it is).

Can people stop calling Black Ops a 60fps game on consoles now? It honestly never was, and its even further away from that goal now.

Inside empty rooms is 60+ fps:D

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Max said:
D2D codes are out! And it looks to be activated on Steam in NA as well? :D
Well it looks like my preload with D2D failed to work so now I am stuck redownloading the game on steam.

Edit:I definitely have all the files on my computer from the preload - trying to get them to work again.

DenogginizerOS said:
They look pretty close to identical to me.
Indeed, except for these small details:

k1860l.jpg

Also, fire is a little better on the 360 version, on the PS3 it looks a little blurry; just a tad more smoke and dust on the 360 version; and lastly, lighting is a little better too. But as I said, it's a marginal difference.

DrBo42

Going to play my first Zombies game with friends, back with impressions in a bit.

Edit: Had some major problems with the invite system already. Apparently friends will not see the invite you send in-game unless they're in the SP version of Black Ops (for zombies) keep that in mind. No idea if an actual Steam invite works.

Does anyone else feel like Infinity Ward does gunplay much better. I don't know exactly what it is but I always feel like the Infinity Ward games are much tighter. Don't even know what I'm trying to say here I just like the feel of their COD's better.:lol Don't get me wrong I'm having fun, will play this for the next year and can't tell you how happy I am the skys are no longer raining bullets down.

Mik2121

There are a few shadow details that are not present in the PS3 version, indeed. Then again, there's some stuff on the 360 like that shaking wire bug at 00:16 that doesn't happen on the PS3, so honestly, you can pick weird things from both sides.

Also at 01:06 the 360 is taking quite a bit to stream two of the guy's textures. Durr..

butts

Really disappointing to hear about the PC performance. I was planning on picking up the PC version today and the PS3 version probably next week to play with friends from work, but in light of these new issues I think I'm going to switch that around and get the PS3 version today and PC version as soon as they fix these performance issues.

Does anybody have a sample of the 30 sec. Youtube upload from the game? Curious about the quality of video.

butts said:
Really disappointing to hear about the PC performance. I was planning on picking up the PC version today and the PS3 version probably next week to play with friends from work, but in light of these new issues I think I'm going to switch that around and get the PS3 version today and PC version as soon as they fix these performance issues.

Does anybody have a sample of the 30 sec. Youtube upload from the game? Curious about the quality of video.

Still debating doing the same since yesterday (360 though), been watching the pc stream that was posted a few pages back and there does appear to be a lot of lag.

Dennis

Banned
nickslicl said:
once again, pc master race dudes shitting up OTs trying to get their damn game running @ 300 fps, 16xAA, etc ;)
Plenty 360/PS3 tech, glitch and performance talk in here too. Does that also bother you?

PaNaMa

Banned
backflip10019 said:
God dammit.

Indeed. I thought I smelled something fishy last night while playing (snagged my copy early) cause the other team had a new care package like every 15 seconds, which was pissing me off. But the thing is, we were not losing bad enough (not enough people dying) for those kind of care packages to be showing up.

But then I thought .. "NAH, Treyarch couldn't be THAT dumb!"

I guess Treyarch never played MW2, or paid attention to its launch.

DSN2K said:
I can confirm at least from my PC that problems regarding stuttering is only the MP, zombie mode and the Single Player run perfectly.
Well thank god they didn't fuck up the part everyone cares about...

Mik2121

Insane Metal said:
Indeed, except for these small details:

k1860l.jpg

Also, fire is a little better on the 360 version, on the PS3 it looks a little blurry; just a tad more smoke and dust on the 360 version; and lastly, lighting is a little better too. But as I said, it's a marginal difference.
Those small details?

zyKuH.png

uqq92.png

See, I can do it too (there were obviously a few issues on the PS3 side, mostly, as you said, with smoke and fire particles in the background).

JB1981

CitizenCope said:
Does anyone else feel like Infinity Ward does gunplay much better. I don't know exactly what it is but I always feel like the Infinity Ward games are much tighter. Don't even know what I'm trying to say here I just like the feel of their COD's better.:lol Don't get me wrong I'm having fun, will play this for the next year and can't tell you how happy I am the skys are no longer raining bullets down.

Yes I know precisely what you mean. I haven't played the game but I played COD 3 and WAW and the guns did feel decidely different then.....

PaNaMa said:
Indeed. I thought I smelled something fishy last night while playing (snagged my copy early) cause the other team had a new care package like every 15 seconds, which was pissing me off. But the thing is, we were not losing bad enough (not enough people dying) for those kind of care packages to be showing up.

But then I thought .. "NAH, Treyarch couldn't be THAT dumb!"

I guess Treyarch never played MW2, or paid attention to its launch.
Yeah, I don't see how that's wasn't the FIRST thing that they playtested. I mean, it was a major problem in MW2 and was so easily exploitable and game-breaking that you would think they would have it all sorted out. But to be figured out within the first 9 hours of the game being commercially available? Jeez, that really sucks.

JB1981

Mik2121 said:
Those small details?

zyKuH.png

See, I can do it too (there were obviously a few issues on the PS3 side, mostly, as you said, with smoke and fire particles in the background).

True, but the textures when loaded in that top pic look better, more defined on the 360 version to me. Don't know why that would be ... they are both sub-hd? Higher textures res?

Been playing finally for a few hours, liking it, level 18 or something I think when I stopped.

Admittedly this is only my 2nd CoD game, first time 'sequel' sorta so I'm enjoying having something similar but different.

n0n44m

just played 90 mins against bots to get into the rythm ;)

Athlon II X4 @ 3.5 ghz, 4 gig DDR2 (!), GTX480

1080p 16*AA everything max, ~50fps with lows in the 30s ... so dropped to 4*AA and still at ~50 fps etc ... (MW2 = ~120 fps at these settings) ... guess there's some bug somewhere

looking at my G510 LCD app it only taxed core 2&3 at around 70%, 1&4 much lower ... only each time when loading a new map it goes to 100% on 4 cores for about 5 seconds, but I doubt it's CPU limited during gameplay

I switched to overclocked GPU on settings on the fly a couple of times (MSI Afterburner key shortcut), but that didn't change the fps either

so if neither the CPU nor GPU is fully loaded I guess there's some load balancing bug somewhere

graphics looked OK to me, but the explosions in killcam have a really huge but low res sprite :/

still was pretty playable, mouse control was excellent =] and I loved the gameplay/gunplay =] =]

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am sure I hit a bug. I need to Protect Reznov when he gets that torch thing but he does not move and I have nowhere to go. wut.

Mik2121 said:
Those small details?

zyKuH.png

uqq92.png

:lol

Calm down dude, if you see my post history you'll notice I'm mostly (or at least were) a sony fanboy. :lol

I just posted what I noticed. About the wire bug, well, it happens, bugs are everywhere, I just noticed different textures on the PS3 version. And the things I said, etc.

TheExodu5

Banned
Insane Metal said:
:lol

Calm down dude, if you see my post history you'll notice I'm mostly (or at least were) a sony fanboy. :lol

I just posted what I noticed. About the wire bug, well, it happens, bugs are everywhere, I just noticed different textures on the PS3 version. And the things I said, etc.

We can't check post histories anymore. : |

Top Bottom