• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Mik2121

JB1981 said:
True, but the textures when loaded in that top pic look better, more defined on the 360 version to me. Don't know why that would be ... they are both sub-hd? Higher textures res?
The texture sharpness is an issue of the 360. If you see two screenshots with some textures looking blurry (like the one I posted above with the characters), that's just because it's having some issue streaming the textures. Chances are if you loaded that scene again on the 360, it wouldn't happen. As some stuff wouldn't happen either on the PS3.

Both textures are most likely the same size. In fact, the PS3 ones could be higher (there's not so much of a disc space issue), but then they would take even longer to load, so yeah, they are most likely the same.

Also, what do you mean with Sub-HD textures? Some people talk about them sometimes but.. really, it just comes down to your texel density. It's not the same to have a 512x512 texture on a 2x2m wall than on a 20x20m wall. That's why some textures look so blurry, but you can have textures that are 64x64 pixels and look dam sharp :p In fact, the detail normals used in many models are usually pretty small textures.

Insane Metal said:
:lol

Calm down dude, if you see my post history you'll notice I'm mostly (or at least were) a sony fanboy. :lol

I just posted what I noticed. About the wire bug, well, it happens, bugs are everywhere, I just noticed different textures on the PS3 version. And the things I said, etc.
It's cool, I don't need to calm down :p I was just stating that there are issues in both versions. I'm getting the PS3 one next week (late release over here, ugh..) but just because of my friendlist, otherwise I'd get it on the 360.

Is anyone having a problem installing the game to the 360's HDD? There is a tiny nick on my disc so Im pretty sure its the disc's problem, but I thought I would ask just in case.

DryvBy

Insane Metal said:
Indeed, except for these small details:

k1860l.jpg

I kinda think the Xbox 360 lighting looks the polar opposite of the PS3. It's not good either. In the highlighted area, the 360 looks like mini-craters. It's an overdone shadow to me. The PS3 just looks like there's no debth to the holes.

Mr_Brit

Banned
So to sum up the technical issues: It looks and runs worse than MW2 on 360/PS3/PC, quite dissapointing since treyarch should really have improved on MW2 since Black Ops came out a year later.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So if the PC performance is the result of poor optimization/bugs, is it something that the devs can or would even bother fixing? Since I can get this for effectively $5, I'd like to, but not if it will never be playable on my current rig.

Max

I am not Max
Looks better and runs just as fine as MW2 for me. Haven't noticed any stuttering with my i5.

edit WHY AM I NOT CONNECTING TO STEAM

I understand a lot of people are interested in the technicalities of the game, but wouldnt it better if there was a thread specific to that stuff? The small differences mean nout to me, but theyre kinda clogging up this thread. I just want to read gameplay impressions dammit! :D

bobs99 ... said:
I understand a lot of people are interested in the technicalities of the game, but wouldnt it better if there was a thread specific to that stuff? The small differences mean nout to me, but theyre kinda clogging up this thread. I just want to read gameplay impressions dammit! :D
Agreed 100%. :D

Max said:
Looks better and runs just as fine as MW2 for me. Haven't noticed any stuttering with my i5.

edit WHY AM I NOT CONNECTING TO STEAM
Steam connection seems to be hammered or is down? Fake edit: It seems back up! :D

PaNaMa

Banned
I have a high end PC (Radeon 5850) and a high end laptop (Asus G73 w/5870). God, why do I still buy shooters for my console? Oh right, cause all my lame ass buddies are too cheap to upgrade their PCs. :D

Nice grabs.

Xux

Ooh! Ooh! I like playing games! I'll talk about the gameplay!

I've only played MP and Zombies, though; don't have much interest in SP.

MP feels pretty good. The lack of stopping power and higher recoil make the game act like you'd expect. Had some noticeable lag that made the game kind of annoying. All in all, nothing surprising, just a good CoD game. MP5K, Enfield, and RPK are pretty cool guns.

Kino der Toten is pretty cool. Haven't gotten too far in it but I think my friends and I will have plenty of fun with it. Really nice atmosphere, seems like there's some story progression integrated more into the gameplay.

Got the Hardened Edition and the old maps are kind of a let down. Not really much of an update. The guns on the wall are the same (might have updated the sounds of the WWII guns as I don't remember them being as loud in WaW), BO guns come out of the box. Hammer showed up in the first map and so do the four characters in Shi no Numa and Der Riese. Otherwise, they look the same and play the same.

jiien

Until I get home from work, I'm going to have this constant internal struggle, debating whether or not I really want to invest the time and energy to get good at the multiplayer in another CoD. Maybe I should just play the single player, play a few rounds of MP, and never touch the game again, preempting all of the rage and bullshit.

Once I see the package, I'll forget about all of that, and will then be furiously debating how to get out of days of work, so I can waste my life away.

Anyway, more impressions, people. For those of us that are still at work.

jiien said:
Until I get home from work, I'm going to have this constant internal struggle, debating whether or not I really want to invest the time and energy to get good at the multiplayer in another CoD. Maybe I should just play the single player, play a few rounds of MP, and never touch the game again, preempting all of the rage and bullshit.

Once I see the package, I'll forget about all of that, and will then be furiously debating how to get out of days of work, so I can waste my life away.

Anyway, more impressions, people. For those of us that are still at work.
I share in your sentiments. Luckily (unluckily?) I was unemployed after graduating when MW2 dropped last year, so I was able to play for a long time and get quite good at the game. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I'm gainfully employed right now and won't have the time to invest to get really good at the game.

I'm also trying to figure a way to weasel my way out of work early today. Maybe say I'm feeling sick?

Mik2121

Ok people, help me out with this one..

What should I do:

- Go out tomorrow and get Black Ops (Asian Version - HK - Even though I don't have a PSN HK account and I don't wanna make one really). Maybe sell it sometime down the line and get the JPN version, or..

- Wait until the 18th so the JPN version (English with subtitles) releases, having access to my main PSN account too.

Also I guess all the records and stats are related to the PSN account and not the game version right? So I could potentially get the Asian version, play it and once the JPN version is available for cheap, get that one and sell the Asian version.

How does the online work? I heard there was some way to search for games in your region. I guess if I play with the Asian version it would try to connect me to Chinese games?. But maybe if I don't do that, it would connect to Japanese games then.. (my MW2 copy is US and I always get to play with people in JPN so I never have lag issues).

NHale

Relix said:
So I guess no one has encountered my glitch or even played campaign :lol

I remember someone in this thread mentioning the exact same problem. IRC he said he solved it by restarting the level.

PaNaMa said:
I have a high end PC (Radeon 5850) and a high end laptop (Asus G73 w/5870). God, why do I still buy shooters for my console? Oh right, cause all my lame ass buddies are too cheap to upgrade their PCs. :D

Nice grabs.

Ha ha, same here. I really have no choice but to buy COD game on the 360.

GodofWine

I don't know how else to phrase my question...so:

If I hated MW2, kinda liked WaW, and enjoy playing SOCOM, where will codblops fall?

Animal

Banned
Relix said:
Yup. Reznov won't move and I have nowhere to go. What the hell. Reload didn't help either.

Same thing happened to me last night. He gets stuck sometimes and you gotta restart the level. Sucks.

backflip10019 said:
I share in your sentiments. Luckily (unluckily?) I was unemployed after graduating when MW2 dropped last year, so I was able to play for a long time and get quite good at the game. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I'm gainfully employed right now and won't have the time to invest to get really good at the game.

I'm also trying to figure a way to weasel my way out of work early today. Maybe say I'm feeling sick?

Raw skill carrys over to be fair, gameplay hours doesnt really determine that. I have a lot of fun with CoD games prestiging once and then playing the odd competative game. I think thats a lot more fun than going for max prestige, especially considering prestiging pretty much nets you nothing.

With Black Ops prestiging just gets you extra class slots and Golden Guns right? Doesnt seem worth it to me.

JimmyBoy

backflip10019 said:

i would totally be sick if not for the fact that UPS won't have it at my house until about 30 minutes from when I get home from work.

GodofWine said:
I don't know how else to phrase my question...so:

If I hated MW2, kinda liked WaW, and enjoy playing SOCOM, where will codblops fall?
The game feels quite WaWish, and gets rid of pretty much all of MW2's problems (depending of course on why exactly you hated MW2.) So it should fare pretty well.

DarthWoo said:
Reading of the apparently abysmal CPU requirements, is it safe to say a Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz, even with GTX 260 probably won't run this with any playability?

Again, at the current moment in time my advice is that anyone with a dual core CPU should avoid it. This may change in the future.

bobs99 ... said:
Raw skill carrys over to be fair, gameplay hours doesnt really determine that. I have a lot of fun with CoD games prestiging once and then playing the odd competative game. I think thats a lot more fun than going for max prestige, especially considering prestiging pretty much nets you nothing.

With Black Ops prestiging just gets you extra class slots and Golden Guns right? Doesnt seem worth it to me.
Yeah, I'm hoping my skillz carry over. I don't see why they wouldn't considering this is essentially the same game repackaged for the third time.

As far as prestiging goes, I do it because I enjoy unlocking everything again. Gives me something to work towards.

zaidr said:
But in your opinion, can this kind of a problem be fixed with a patch later on, or am I just in need of a CPU upgrade?

In your case, you've been way past due a CPU upgrade for something like 3 years now! :lol

For those with decent C2Ds then things may get fixed, no one can tell you for sure yet.

jiien

bobs99 ... said:

Raw skill always means something, but so does map knowledge and a feel for movement speed, gun handling, etc. And those things only come with dumping many many hours into the game.

You may have better twitch speed and a general understanding of shooting mechanics(which is what I equate raw skill to), but unless you know how people flow on maps, and such like that, you'll inevitably be screwed over by the people that may not be as fast as you, but can sure as hell outmaneuver and outposition you.

But yeah, I should be grateful that I, like most of the rest of us here on GAF, will pick this game far faster than anyone new that's jumping in, but that's only so much consolation when there are always plenty of people out there that are better than you.

h0pper said:
I'm running a:

core i7 920 @ 2.67
GTX 460 1GB
6 Gb of ram

the game looks fantastic, however (and that's a big fucking however), the game skips at times. also, my mouse doesn't move as smoothly as it should (logitech g9x). Playing CS:S, the mouse is fine, but with Black Ops it is almost as if the mouse has to move along a grid and jumps too quickly.

Try disabling hyper threading.

Erasus

brain_stew said:
Again, at the current moment in time my advice is that anyone with a dual core CPU should avoid it. This may change in the future.

Check the steam forums, even people with Quad-Cores are having a problem. Its a bug in how the game uses the CPU, I hope it will be patched. Yes, my CPU is dual core but I dont really see how MW2 can run fine and this can not. Its not like BO looks 2x better...

TeTr1C

Just played the first two missions so far. Jesus fuck is this action packed, particularly where you're
escaping the prison with the minigun
in the second mission. Ridiculous.

backflip10019 said:
Agreed. As a console gamer, all the technical talk is really annoying me. I just want to hear impressions, etc.

Tough shit. Its valid and important discussion and has been part of every single OT for a PC game on GAF. What would your prefer this thread becomes? A coordinated circle jerk?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Whoa, I think I'm really really enjoying the campaign. Never thought I'd ever admit to enjoying a "modern" CoD campaign.

- Playing it on a i5@4ghz and sli 470s
- Game looks pretty darn good

- the performance is not acceptable, the first 15minutes of the game were a choppy mess even with triplebuffering on and the whole shebang
- I really love the way the story is told

- for the first time I actually feel like my bullets are hurting people instead of somekind of magic peashooter that puts people to sleep

- I must reiterate how much better the campaign has been thus far compared to the wtfstory and preposterous narrative of mw2
- played 3-4hours and apparently I'm barely halfway through

Top Bottom