• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD Black Ops |OT| Always Bet On Black

Kingpen

can anyone give impressions on the bots in combat training mode? Is this mode identical to the online multiplayer modes (is there anything you can't do and/or gametypes you can't play in this mode?

Can someone break down the types of parameters you can adjust in this?

Funny as it sounds, my purchase will hinge on this information...

Dina

Blah, pc performance issues are really preventing me from enjoying this. I can't get a good gunfight going without my pc stuttering. C2D + 5850, but that should be sufficient. Especially since I run at 1920/low/no AA etc. Should be smooth, 60fps like MW2 was, but it isn't.

Darkkn

Now i have not played any COD's on consoles before but i was expecting vastly better looking game based on videos i watched before the release. I'm playing PS3 version and my god, particle effects look awfully blurry/blocky, textures are grimy and lightning effects look bland.
Game is fun enough but it's a bit shocking to look at. It's like time machine to 3 years ago.

I don't know why i cant really see these issues on videos tho, for example GT video review looks like totally different game than what i'm playing :/

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Am I the only one who thinks black ops is a wonderful departure from modern warfare? It feels like call of duty again; slightly slower paced and more gunplay-heavy. The sound is great, the graphics are fine, things seem more balanced. Something about the level design feels better to me, I think the lines of sight have been markedly improved. Granted I have the 360 version, so I don't really have the framerate issues people have been discussing. Who's with me on this?

Screw the reviews, they're lower cause this game doesn't have the infinity ward stamp on it; simple as that. The game is less flashy that mw2, so I understand an initial reaction of disappointment, but all in all i'm diggin it.

hmm can't say i agree. so far, to me, the maps seem really bland and not particularly well thought out.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Am I the only one who thinks black ops is a wonderful departure from modern warfare? It feels like call of duty again; slightly slower paced and more gunplay-heavy. The sound is great, the graphics are fine, things seem more balanced. Something about the level design feels better to me, I think the lines of sight have been markedly improved. Granted I have the 360 version, so I don't really have the framerate issues people have been discussing. Who's with me on this?

Screw the reviews, they're lower cause this game doesn't have the infinity ward stamp on it; simple as that. The game is less flashy that mw2, so I understand an initial reaction of disappointment, but all in all i'm diggin it.
I was with you until here. Personally, the game should be docked 0.5-1.0 for having boring ass zombies instead of spec ops.

corkscrewblow said:
There's no Derail and Estate. INSTANT WIN.
There are some equally bad maps in Black Ops.

Calibur said:
I've First impression on BlackOps ps3 version, make sure you haven't played, Killzone 3 beta or even Modern Warfare 2, because BlackOps looks very blurry compared to Modern Warfare 2 in multiplayer. The textures on the Jungle map are laughable it looks like cheap mod they are very muddy, plus the sound effects are low, you can't hear little movements like the roughing of your clothes or even running, also you can only hear kills and gun fire of what you see?

I'm not saying the game is rubbish, but i wasn't expecting poor textures and sound! I hope this gets patched!

This. I thought this mostly had to do with my display so I which to another but, that wasn't the case. Like someone smeared vaseline all over my screen :\

Mik2121

bobs99 ... said:
GOOD

Im so glad the game has shifted focus back on gunplay, because I loved the matches on MW2 which centered around gunplay, but before long someone would join and unleash a barrage of nube toobs and everyone would start doing it.

This might sound odd, but I used a ACR and didnt even bother using stopping power with it on MW2, it seemed like it killed quick enough, if the guns arent weaker than the ACR ill be happy.

Im just holding out for a gun thats as laser accurate as the ACR was. :D
OMG I just found another person like me! I, too, used ACR. My setup was:

Ninja Pro
Scavenger Pro
Cold Blooded Pro

ACR with silencer
Claymore

I know I wont be able to have the same perks anymore, but probably will go with

Ghost Pro
Warlord Pro (so i can have silencer and scope)
Ninja Pro

As for weapons, have not played the game so dunno, but hopefully one that's pretty steady and has lots of bullets, since I won't have scavenger...

edit - stupid iPad changing my words :p

Game doesn't do the stuttering shit on my system thank jesus. Phenom II X4 945. However, the game runs worse than the previous CoDs even though it doesn't look better at all. Running a 9800GT because my cheap PSU died and I can't run my GTX 460 on this stock Dell unit until I get a new one. I imagine it will run amazingly on it when I get a new PSU. CoD4/WaW looks better/softer/cleaner. This looks rough and gritty. Downgrade imo.

Lothars

AllIsOneIsNone said:

I think the reviews are right on and it's not because it doesn't have the infinity ward, it's because it's not a perfect game and has problems.

I still think the reviews are higher than they should be with all the technical problems that are occuring.

todahawk

enzo_gt said:
Dear PC owners, I bring fourth a link from a yet-to-be approved member of GAF:

http://callofduty.com/blackops/status?path=blackops/status

That's fucking amazing :lol

I get-

black ops website said:
"The Call of Duty: Black Ops game servers are online and fully functional, but due to increased load on the content servers, we have temporarily disabled access to Community and Recent Games in the Theater. The Treyarch team is working to bring this portion of the game back online as fast as possible."

Belfast said:
Not getting a connection for MP on Steam. Just hangs while fetching stats. :\

Same.. my first Call of Duty purchase ever and I am already seriously regretting it unless this and these performance issues get fixed fast. Shipping an obviously broken game is really fucking insulting to your customers.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Same.. my first Call of Duty purchase ever and I am already seriously regretting it unless this and these performance issues get fixed fast. Shipping an obviously broken game is really fucking insulting to your customers.
Thats the life of a pc gamer some times, we get half ass ports with bugs and have to wait on patches.

Wish more companies were like blizzard with releases.

Belfast

BuddhaRockstar said:

Eh, it's the first day for a game with extremely popular multiplayer. It sucks balls, and this sort of thing shouldn't happen anymore, but I'm not surprised. Happens with MMOs, too.

todahawk

1PzTg.png

Weenerz

Banned
Maybe they pulled down the servers to fix the issue? I hope so, but I must depart for work, I pray for a smooth ride for all when I get back in 8 and a half hours.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
GhostRidah said:
Wish more companies were like blizzard with releases.

I pray every night that blizzard will be/remain the last company that "releases" games the way they do. :I

ACE 1991

Mr Sandman said:
Game doesn't do the stuttering shit on my system thank jesus. Phenom II X4 945. However, the game runs worse than the previous CoDs even though it doesn't look better at all. Running a 9800GT because my cheap PSU died and I can't run my GTX 460 on this stock Dell unit until I get a new one. I imagine it will run amazingly on it when I get a new PSU. CoD4/WaW looks better/softer/cleaner. This looks rough and gritty. Downgrade imo.

This is a feature, not a downgrade!

:lol I kid.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Weenerz said:
My PC version no longer gives me any lag. I just did 5 straight games with smoothness.

To change the subject somewhat, I decided to start renting a blops server, and I want to set it up with GAFers in mind. I need some ideas on what gametypes you folks want. Was thinking of mixing SD/Domination/TDM together, but still unsure.

Anything Hardcore is fine with me.

jkanownik

Is there anyone that speaks IGN editor language that can translate what this means for me?

My biggest issue with the multiplayer is that the new Wager Matches, while fun in their own right, don't compare favorably to the high-quality and addictive leveling system and game modes from Modern Warfare 1 and 2.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Mr Sandman said:
This looks rough and gritty. Downgrade imo.

I think quite the opposite, the game looks very vibrant and beautiful ( for what it is, essentially a q3-engine game )

Adamm

Is it possible to unlock anything through doing the challenges, or do they just give your XP?

That was one of my favourite parts in mw2 - doing all these strange challenges to unlock odd emblems or callsigns.
I have little incentive to use odd guns/perks if all i get is XP :(

Fugu

Just to provide some insight for those looking at the PC version...

I've got myself and two buddies here who have been attempting in some capacity to play this game, and these are the results:

My Rig
Phenom II X720 (slightly OC'd)
Radeon 4870x2
4 GB RAM
Windows 7

Initially, the server browser wasn't functioning at all for me, but it eventually came around. From then on, the game worked alright, but not nearly as well as it should; 4x AA, 1280x1024 and all of the settings maxed, I held around 40-65FPS (it only capped out at 85 -- my monitor's refresh rate -- inside buildings) whereas MW2 runs at 85FPS smooth with the same settings. The game was certainly playable up until about ten minutes ago when it stopped letting me join games. I now stall at fetching stats.

Friend A's Rig
Core 2 Quad Q6600
Geforce 8800 GTS
4 GB RAM
Windows 7

This rig achieves performance comparable to MW2's, so in that aspect, the game is working correctly. However, it frequently disconnects from Steam and only produces pings over 600. This computer is also stuck at "fetching stats" now.

Friend B's rig
Athalon X2 6400+
Radeon 4870
4GB of RAM
Windows 7

Even at the lowest settings, the frame rate that the multiplayer portion of the game produces is entirely unfit for human consumption. This computer too does not get past "fetching stats".

1 for 3 if you don't count server issues.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wow. Campaign hooked me. Hard. Played non stop for like 2 hours. Really amazing and much better than MW2's one. Having a lot of fun.

Also what frame rate complaints? MP runs smoother than any past games and the SP when it drops it's on acceptable moments.

_Bro

Banned
jkanownik said:
Is there anyone that speaks IGN editor language that can translate what this means for me?
It's actually IGN proving correct to the statement above about the game not having the Infinity Ward stamp of approval. Their statement makes no sense in considering you don't have to play a Wager game and considering all MW2 gametypes were too similar to actually play have a preference.

Unless they are holding the game to a standard set by the ones before it which would go beyond their belief that the past does not exist since that would require insight.

The main problem here is that people are reading reviews instead of just renting the game.

also: some crazy apologists in this thread

Adamm said:
Is it possible to unlock anything through doing the challenges, or do they just give your XP?

That was one of my favourite parts in mw2 - doing all these strange challenges to unlock odd emblems or callsigns.
I have little incentive to use odd guns/perks if all i get is XP :(
A lot of that charm is gone for unlock images and tags, you just need to earn come in game currency and buy what you like unless it's locked by level limit :/

the wife just called and said she grabbed me a copy a from a huge stack at the local Walmart!

I can't wait!

Diablohead said:
A lot of that charm is gone for unlock images and tags, you just need to earn come in game currency and buy what you like unless it's locked by level limit :/

Thank goodness I hated just unlocking things randomly let me choose how I want to unlock stuff!

_Bro said:
It's actually IGN proving correct to the statement above about the game not having the Infinity Ward stamp of approval. Their statement makes no sense in considering you don't have to play a Wager game and considering all MW2 gametypes were too similar to actually play have a preference.

Unless they are holding the game to a standard set by the ones before it which would go beyond their belief that the past does not exist since that would require insight.

The main problem here is that people are reading reviews instead of just renting the game.

also: some crazy apologists in this thread
apologists of what? also, who rents a CoD game.

Corky said:
I think quite the opposite, the game looks very vibrant and beautiful ( for what it is, essentially a q3-engine game )
I agree. The explosions/fire look great and the night-time levels are gorgeous.

todahawk

JetBlackPanda said:
the wife just called and said she grabbed me a copy a from a huge stack at the local Walmart!

I can't wait!

Thank goodness I hated just unlocking things randomly let me choose how I want to unlock stuff!

Marry that woma... nevermind.

zaidr

JetBlackPanda said:

Same here. I kind of liked it in MW1, but only because I guess it was the first time that was implemented, and it wasn't as heavy handed and convoluted as MW2 was. There was so much stuff always unlocking, challenges piling up in MW2 that I kind of just started ignoring them all.

I welcome this change. Sure, I won't jump to my death from a great height to get a challenge, but that's one good challenge atop a mountain of crappy "get 150 headshots looking though this sight" challenges.

Top Bottom